Jun 24, 2012, 2:11 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Adam LaRoche singled in the second and homered in the fourth.
Game in a nutshell: After getting shut down all Friday night by Jason Hammel, the Nationals pounced on Wei-Yin Chin early in tonight's game (though a costly, two-run error by Wilson Betemit played a big role). Adam LaRoche's leadoff homer in the fourth, though, gave the Nats a 3-0 lead and provided Edwin Jackson some cushion. Jackson didn't need any cushion whatsoever through six spectacular innings, but Adam Jones' homer in the seventh cut the lead to 3-1 and ultimately put the game in the hands of the Nationals' bullpen. These days, that's a good thing. Michael Gonzalez and Sean Burnett each induced double plays to end the seventh and eighth innings. And Tyler Clippard finished things off for his 12th save in as many tries since taking over as closer.
Hitting highlight: Was this the night the heart of the Nationals' lineup finally got itself back on track? Well, not Ryan Zimmerman, whoRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws