Jun 24, 2012, 2:11 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Adam LaRoche singled in the second and homered in the fourth.
Game in a nutshell: After getting shut down all Friday night by Jason Hammel, the Nationals pounced on Wei-Yin Chin early in tonight's game (though a costly, two-run error by Wilson Betemit played a big role). Adam LaRoche's leadoff homer in the fourth, though, gave the Nats a 3-0 lead and provided Edwin Jackson some cushion. Jackson didn't need any cushion whatsoever through six spectacular innings, but Adam Jones' homer in the seventh cut the lead to 3-1 and ultimately put the game in the hands of the Nationals' bullpen. These days, that's a good thing. Michael Gonzalez and Sean Burnett each induced double plays to end the seventh and eighth innings. And Tyler Clippard finished things off for his 12th save in as many tries since taking over as closer.
Hitting highlight: Was this the night the heart of the Nationals' lineup finally got itself back on track? Well, not Ryan Zimmerman, whoRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg back on mound for key start in Cincy
- How will Nats compensate for Werth's absence?
- Mark Zuckerman on Jayson Werth's unfortunate injury news
- MLB Power Rankings: Astros, Twins are early season surprises
- Werth could be out months after new test results on left wrist
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Al Galdi and Daniel Shiferaw
- Stars shine in Nats' 9th straight series win
- Harper, Scherzer power Nationals past Cubs
- Nats Stock Watch: Scherzer showing why he's the ace
- One more category Bryce Harper leads the NL in