Jun 24, 2012, 2:11 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Adam LaRoche singled in the second and homered in the fourth.
Game in a nutshell: After getting shut down all Friday night by Jason Hammel, the Nationals pounced on Wei-Yin Chin early in tonight's game (though a costly, two-run error by Wilson Betemit played a big role). Adam LaRoche's leadoff homer in the fourth, though, gave the Nats a 3-0 lead and provided Edwin Jackson some cushion. Jackson didn't need any cushion whatsoever through six spectacular innings, but Adam Jones' homer in the seventh cut the lead to 3-1 and ultimately put the game in the hands of the Nationals' bullpen. These days, that's a good thing. Michael Gonzalez and Sean Burnett each induced double plays to end the seventh and eighth innings. And Tyler Clippard finished things off for his 12th save in as many tries since taking over as closer.
Hitting highlight: Was this the night the heart of the Nationals' lineup finally got itself back on track? Well, not Ryan Zimmerman, whoRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher