Jun 24, 2012, 8:25 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Bryce Harper singled in the first and doubled in the sixth.
Game in a nutshell: The final game of this year's Battle of the Beltways featured a taut pitcher's duel, with the Nationals plating one early run (via a Ryan Zimmerman RBI single, of all things) and then hoping beyond hope baseball's best pitching staff could make that one run hold up all afternoon. They very nearly pulled it off, with Ross Detwiler tossing five scoreless innings in his return to the rotation and Craig Stammen tossing two scoreless innings of relief. But Sean Burnett, who had given up just one home run over his last 50 appearances, served up a towering, two-run shot to Matt Wieters in the bottom of the eighth. And just like that, the Nationals were subjected to a crushing, 2-1 loss that clinched the season series for Baltimore (4-2).
Hitting highlight: Barely 24 hours after finally admitting his shoulder is bothering him and affecting his performance, it was only fitting thatRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Jimmy Rollins: Phillies have missed Werth since he signed with Nats
- Significant moment No. 7: Williams benches Harper
- Significant moment No. 8: Span breaks hit record
- Nats sign veteran infielder Stewart to minor deal
- Ex-Nats pitcher Haren really doesn't want to pitch for the Marlins
- Significant moment No. 9: Soriano out, Storen in
- Nats sign veteran Heath Bell to minor-league deal
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- Significant moment No. 10: Roark makes rotation
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister