DeRosa activated, Nady to DL

Jun 25, 2012, 8:39 PM EDT

The Nationals swapped veteran bench players on their roster today, activating Mark DeRosa off the 15-day disabled list while placing Xavier Nady on the 15-day DL with right wrist tendinitis.

DeRosa, 37, will be in uniform and available for tonight’s series opener against the Rockies at Coors Field. The corner infielder/outfielder’s return appeared imminent in recent days, even though he produced just one hit in 11 at-bats during a four-game rehab assignment with Class A Potomac.

DeRosa had been out since late-April due to a left oblique strain. He was hitting just .081 (3-for-37) before landing on the DL.

Nady’s wrist injury wasn’t previously known, but the 33-year-old outfielder was struggling at the plate, hitting .157 with three homers and six RBI in 40 games mostly off the bench.

1. Doc - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Cute! Rizzo is getting to be a master at DLing, and we can all appreciate his skill.Now what kind of obscure hang nail problem can Mike Gonzo develop when El Infarto de Miocardio returns from 'Cuse with his flying fast ball.

2. Grandstander - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Has there ever been a case of MLB investigating and ultimately fining/punishing a team for improper use of the DL?I have to believe it would be hard to prove, but I also have to believe that some people are starting to look at these roster moves with a bit of suspicion. Either way, as Joe Maddon would say, it's not like we are the only ones who do it.

3. baseballswami - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Sorry – missed the new post. I was speculating that Davey or McCatty had slammed the door on HRod's hand. DL is better than DFA any day – the threat of being released might actually cause some part of your body to hurt. It could happen. Seems a little big mysterious at times, doesn't it? DeRosa probably didn't make contact with one ball in Potomac,but maybe we won't even notice since lots of guys are whiffing.

4. SCNatsFan - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Looks like Nady got the same memo HRod did… find an injury or find a new home

5. JD - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:18 PM

DeRosa/Nady I don't think it makes a difference as long as neither is in the lineup.

6. NatsNut - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Is that DL or "DL"?

7. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:26 PM

NN, my Currently Strawberry Blonde Cubs Fan Wife asked the same thing–not sure why she wanted to know, though…. Hmmmm…

8. Feel Wood - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Has there ever been a case of MLB investigating and ultimately fining/punishing a team for improper use of the DL?I have to believe it would be hard to prove, but I also have to believe that some people are starting to look at these roster moves with a bit of suspicion. If anyone would have an issue with this, it would be the players association, not MLB. It costs MLB and the teams nothing to put a player on the DL so they don't have to DFA him. They pay his salary either way. But if there was a player who thought a team was parking him on the DL to avoid playing him in order to keep his future salary down, the players association would scream. For players like HRod and Nady, that's not an issue. They were underperforming before going on the DL, so continued playing would not help increase their long-term worth.

9. Steady Eddie - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM

The point is that with enough of these guys playing hurt, you could almost put whomever you wanted to on the DL when you needed to. It's not that there's no injury, but that the line of what level of injury is "enough" to get you on the DL is, let's just say, extremely flexible.

10. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:29 PM

and Grandstander, the CBA does address this point, but I have to think the Players Union isn't likely to gripe about keeping a borderline guy like Nady employed.

11. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:31 PM

and do still owe cokes if I'm on the Disabled List myself? *cough*

12. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Until the late 1980s, there were 10-day and 21-day disabled lists, the number of players on each list was limited, and there was much less flexibility about when they could return to action. Also, players with major league contracts couldn't go to the minor leagues for rehab.

13. baseballswami - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I think Steady Eddie makes a valid point – at any given point of the season every player probably has something sore or dinged up. I do think the Nats use it to stash players more so now than I have ever seen. Before this there has always been more than one person they were happy to get rid of. How long can they keep this up, though? HRod is almost "ready". Storen will be back – sooner or later they are going to have to make some clearer and harder choices.

14. NatsNut - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:36 PM

good point, Steady.

15. NatsNut - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:37 PM

i guess i owe you a coke swami?

16. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Now what kind of obscure hang nail problem can Mike Gonzo develop when El Infarto de Miocardio returns from 'Cuse with his flying fast ball. Speaking of Infarto, were they calling him a heart attack-inducing pitcher, or comparing him to the TV show of the same named featuring extreme practical jokes (the Mexican inspiration for Scare Tactics, but apparently much worse)?

17. Feel Wood - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:43 PM

RIZZO: Hey X. Sorry to break it to you, but we gotta DL you to keep from DFAing you. What disease you want?NADY: How 'bout plantar fasciitis?RIZZO: Nope. We already used that one.NADY: Okay. Can we say I smashed a door on my finger?RIZZO: Nope. That one's gone too. [pause] Looks like all we got left is heartbreak of psoriasis, complications from adult circumcision, bad #Natitude, and right wrist tendinitis.NADY: Okay. Give me the tendinitis. We still on for golf tomorrow?

18. peric - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Looks to me like they are going to do what Boz suggested today and what some of us have been suggesting for a while. Take a good long look at Tyler Moore. Tyler is in the lineup this time. At least now they have some legitimate power in the outfield.

19. slidell2 - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Regarding H-Rod, etc. coming back up. How long do they have to be off the DL before they can be put back on (after tearing a hangnail or whatever)?

20. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:55 PM

21. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Let's try that again. It's a 15-Day Disabled List, so they have to be off at least 15 days, but it can be longer. The minor-league rehab cannot be longer than 30 days. They can't go back on the DL for the same injury, unless they freshly re-injure the same part.

22. Will - Jun 25, 2012 at 9:58 PM

What a waste. We replace a .157 hitter with a .087 hitter.If it's that important to Rizzo to have a RH pinch hitter available, then surely consistent playing time from Tyler Moore would be preferable?! Even lefties Corey Brown, Mark Teahen or Xavier Paul could hit better than .087 against LHPs! After all they're all batting better than .091 in the minors. Except DeRosa put up those pathetic numbers in A ball.

23. Section 222 - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Thanks for the chuckle Feel.

24. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:01 PM

DeRosa is not a .087 (*.081, if you're using his BA this season) hitter. He's a .270 hitter, who was hitting .081 this April, while injured. Just sayin.

25. baseballswami - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Feel Wood – hilarious!!!

26. Will - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Soul, I think it's equally unfair to classify DeRosa as a .270 hitter as it is to call him a .081 hitter, as I'm not sure how relevant his batting average 8 years ago is to the discussion of what type of player he is today.If I want to be more fair, take the average of the last 3 years(which is probably overly fair to him, but whatever), and you get a .208/.298/.245 hitter. That's embarrassingly bad. He should have retired in 2009, but somehow has managed to cling on despite being sub-replacement level for three years.

27. Major Jammage - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:09 PM

DeRosa, welcome back and hopefully you find your Spring training form, where you were batting .457. Also, stay away from any nefarious high fives from hyper-active 19 year olds.Nady, you've had your moments this year, but it's time to have a rest.Tracy, we need you back.

28. David - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:14 PM

we need corey brown. not derosa….

29. MicheleS - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Feel Wood.Thanks for the chuckle!

30. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Or, you could just say he hit .276 in almost 100 plate appearances just last season, and consider that fair grounds to hope he can do something like that again, until he proves otherwise, without an injury. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. I don't know, and neither does Davey. That's why he wanted him, because he might, and Davey is a smart guy.

31. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Correction, he hit .279 last year.

32. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM

LINEUPSNationals1. Danny Espinosa, 2B2. Bryce Harper, CF3. Ryan Zimmerman, 3B4. Michael Morse, RF5. Adam LaRoche, 1B6. Ian Desmond, SS7. Tyler Moore, LF8. Jesus Flores, C9. Stephen Strasburg, RHPRockies1. Dexter Fowler CF2. Marco Scutaro 2B3. Carlos Gonzalez LF4. Michael Cuddyer RF5. Todd Helton 1B6. Jordan Pacheco 3B7. Wilin Rosario C8. Jonathan Herrera SS9. Jeff Francis PBy Adam Kilgore | 05:54

33. baseballswami - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:24 PM

So basically what you all are saying is that we have absolutely no idea if DeRosa can hit or not. The most recent evidence is in single A ball. Granted the lighting is bad, the pitching is wild, etc.etc. This is one situation where the stats can be thrown away because they are not telling us anything at all. Apparently he is terribly out of shape. Good luck with the altitude and the heat, Mark.

34. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM

So basically what you all are saying is that we have absolutely no idea if DeRosa can hit or not.Pretty much. But we don't need to know. We only need to hope.

35. Steady Eddie - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Department of Things that make you go hmmmmm:“@AdamKilgoreWP: DeRosa recovered from injury, still getting into game shape: "My oblique is the one thing that feels good. Everything else feels like hell."”And we didn't give him more of the 30 days of rehab why, exactly?

36. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:32 PM

ummmmmm, maybe he just is the sort who grouses a lot??

37. NatsLady - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Oh, because Davey was bored with Nady… I guess. I know I'm bored with both of 'em.

38. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Bored with this post? There's a new one!

39. Steady Eddie - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Soul — strikes me as someone whose emotions are too raw, in the wake of his father's death, to bother with the usual pretense. sounds like either a warning to Davey that he's not ready physically or psychologically. OTOH, maybe DeRosa is someone who deals with those emotions by putting them into something else, but a minor league rehab was not worth the bother.I hope TMoore continues to do well enough that we din't have to find out for a while.

40. natsfan1a - Jun 25, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Welcome back, DeRo. (I'll leave it to y'all to read between the Twitter lines, and with a Kilgore item at that. ;-))