Game 71: Nats at Rockies

Jun 25, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
Coors Field hosts Stephen Strasburg and the Nationals tonight.

Stephen Strasburg has never pitched at Coors Field before, but he has pitched at high altitude. This is a guy, remember, who played in the Mountain West Conference while at San Diego State and appeared plenty of times in Colorado and Utah. Still, it will be interesting to see how the altitude affects Strasburg tonight, if at all, especially his curveball.

The Rockies' starter is Jeff Francis, a veteran left-hander who was at one point the ace of this staff but these days is struggling both to stay healthy and effective. Don't look for Francis to throw more than 85 pitches; Colorado manager Jim Tracy is experimenting with a four-man rotation, a move that requires each starter to avoid triple-digit pitch counts.

Sounds like a golden opportunity for a Nationals lineup that desperately could use a breakout game. Ryan Zimmerman is again batting third, with Michael Morse right behind him. Tyler Moore, meanwhile, starts in left field, and with today's move to place Xavier Nady on the DL (while activating Mark DeRosa) don't be surprised if Moore gets even more playing time.

I'm not in Denver for this week's series, so please enjoy the game and the conversation here as always…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 8:40 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Clear, 95 degrees, Wind 12 mph out to CF

2B Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
RF Michael Morse

1. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:48 PM

OK, this is getting pretty bad, when even Mark avoids the in-game threads. I'm kidding. Sorta.

2. MicheleS - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:50 PM

After all the Arm Chair GM moves today – I am SHOCKED not to see the roster from Hagerstown, Cuse, Harrisburg, or Potomac as our starting line up. Oh well, I guess we will make do with what we have! GYFNG!

3. realdealnats - Jun 25, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Wary of Zim doing some permanent damage with injections to play through an injury. If we really are in it for the long haul, not that we can't steal it this year, I'd opt for surgery for the FOF. But that notwithstanding, this is the lineup I like to see 1-9 right down to the P.

4. JT - Jun 25, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Perhaps if Zim shows improvement in Denver he may avoid the dl, and if he doesn't he may find the dl in hopes of recovering as best he can by the all star break. I kind of think that is the plan, we'll see what happens.

5. A DC Wonk - Jun 25, 2012 at 11:18 PM

peric wrote:But instead of Tyler Moore we're going to see DeRosa and Nady.Three potential losses in a row. Dude! What happened?

6. Major Jammage - Jun 25, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I'm calling it: this team is due for a break out offense-wise tonight. Why? First: they always seem to get their act together when Strasburg is pitching.Second: you've got right side Danny.Third: Strasburg is due for another extra base hit.Fourth: Bryce is gonna love the thin air of the West, his native ground.You've got right side DannyI'm also calling a 2-3 night with a double for Strasburg.

7. Old Wino - Jun 25, 2012 at 11:32 PM

am I crazy? Or, is 95 degrees hot for CO.

8. baseballswami - Jun 25, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Old Wino – record heat due in CO this week. 100 or more every day. Yeah!!! Time for our pitchers to up their batting averages!

9. Laddie Blah Blah - Jun 25, 2012 at 11:35 PM

"Wary of Zim doing some permanent damage with injections to play through an injury. If we really are in it for the long haul, not that we can't steal it this year, I'd opt for surgery for the FOF."Ditto that. As with Strasburg's innings limit, the long-term soundness and health of the player comes first, or should.

10. Gonat - Jun 25, 2012 at 11:38 PM

3 best hitters at this point are Tyler Moore and Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg.If we know Zim is hurting, the competition does also. Zim better get ready for a steady diet of fastballs. This is his opportunity in Colorado to hit some HRs. Still may make more sense not having Zim in the 3 hole with Strasburg hitting better than him you may want Strasburg as the #3 hitter tonight ;0) .

11. natsfan1a - Jun 25, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I'll take it, Major. I kinda hate to ask this, but I can't stay up for these late starts. Should anybody plan to stay up and, further, should they feel like diving into the comments section to post updates, well, I'd be delighted to read them in the morning. The updates, that is. Not sure about the other comments. Kinda depends how the game goes and all. Anyhoo, guess I'll mosey off the rustle up some grub. Later, folks. :-)OK, this is getting pretty bad, when even Mark avoids the in-game threads.I'm kidding. Sorta.

12. Gonat - Jun 25, 2012 at 11:42 PM

What's the rush getting DeRosa here? Wouldn't Corey Brown be the better choice?

13. MicheleS - Jun 25, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Umm.. Can we spend ONE NIGHT not speculating about phantom moves and just enjoy (hopefully) the game. Just once. Pretty Please????

14. erocks33 - Jun 25, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Gonat said…What's the rush getting DeRosa here? Wouldn't Corey Brown be the better choice? I'm guessing they wanted a right-handed hitting bat (DeRosa) and have too many left-handed bats (Brown).

15. erocks33 - Jun 25, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Quick question regarding why everyone wants Tyler Moore playing only versus LHP. Wasn't his big game versus Toronto (2 HR, 1 2B, 5 RBI) against a starting RHP? I thought he was inserted into the starting lineup at the last minute due to ALR having a nagging injury?Since Moore has come back up from SYR (the second time), he has really impressed me with his patience and power. And not just against LHP. So, why couldn't he see more playing time against RHP as well? For some reason, he is reminding me a bit of Mark Trumbo out in Anaheim. Big guy, doesn't have a "true" position, but can hit the ball. Give him enough playing time and who knows what we can get out of him (see also Morse, Michael).

16. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM

erocks33, thinking that is the logic but with Morse (R) back as a corner outfielder and Tyler Moore (R) with Lombo (S) able to play the outfield and lefties Bernie, Ankiel and Harper it seems almost balanced now.Corey could have been brought up to give DeRosa time to rehab at AAA not on the MLB roster like we have seen recently.

17. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Davey has said he'll look for spots against right handers for Moore. And unless Ankiel or Bernadina suffer an injury, you can forget about seeing Brown.

18. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:05 AM

This is the night. 10 runs baby.

19. Jimmy - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Looking forward to a little "Moore Offense" (TM) tonight. Seriously, though, how nice it seems to play somewhere other than the AL/NL East.

20. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM

eRocks33, not sure who the "everyone" is who you think had thought that TyMo should sit against RH pitching. Davey seems to be the one platooning him.I'm wondering myself if he can hit RH pitching because I thought he could. I also suggested him as a possible #3 hitter.

21. JaneB - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I really do NOT LIKE IT when MASN doesn't send Mark. Sheesh. He is the best writer about the Nats. You'd think they could see that for themselves.I'll be watching. Not asking for any condolences here but…, My dad died this weekend. Will go to the Great Beyond in a Nats teeshirt, Desmond. That's a fact.

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:13 AM

23. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Jane, Mark doesn't work for MASN.

24. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:18 AM

If Zim's shot is still working then he might have a decent night. He has been so eager to hit that he might be crushing. I think if he starts to hit more then Bryce will get better stuff to hit.

25. rogieshan - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:19 AM

erocks33,I love the comparison of Moore to Trumbo, though the latter is two inches taller and about ten pounds heavier. I think the team believes DeRosa and his versatility is more suited for the utility role than Brown. And I would also rather see Brown up here when he actually has a real opportunity to play.

26. erocks33 - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:21 AM

@Ghost … sorry, didn't mean to lump "everyone" into my Moore question. But it does seem that the vast majority that post their "optimal" lineups here, the consensus seem to list Moore starting only vs LHP.

27. rogieshan - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Jake Fox was released by the Pirates today. He would be an ideal pickup for the team. A right-handed masher who can catch, play 1st, 3rd and corner outfield.

28. MicheleS - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:24 AM

JaneB.. my sympathies! When the Pearly Gates Open, I am sure he will hear the "Lets Go Nats" chant!!!

29. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:25 AM

eRocks33, I'm guilty of listing Moore in the LHP lineup but that is based on Davey seems to be platooning him so really don't know what he can do.

30. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Baseballswami, agree, agree, and Bryce agrees.

31. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:30 AM

JaneB, condolences, thoughts and prayers to your family.

32. fresh2death1997 - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Hey if i were you guys, i wouldn't expect 10 runs lol! Lets just get a win here baby.

33. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I really wish Johnny Holliday would not go on and on about how unbeatable Strasburg is and how awful the Rockies are. It offends the baseball gods. JaneB – thoughts and prayers to your family. Next Nats win is in honor of him for me and I think most of the regulars on here.

34. erocks33 - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:36 AM

@JaneB, my condolences as well on your father's passing. Mine passed away 7 years ago (just after the birth of my daughter) and not a day goes by that I don't miss him. Peace be with him (and you and your family).

35. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… NatsJack, you must have missed it. Ankiel did suffer an injury called K-itis. It's a disease where you can't make contact with round objects. I saw Ank swing and miss at a beach ball. June 25, 2012 8:13 PM ____________________________________Ank is really a late inning defensive replacement. I was disappointed seeing him in the starting lineup over Bernadina.

36. fresh2death1997 - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:47 AM

DP machine!

37. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Can you believe another bleepin DoublePlay by Zim. Its hard to believe. He'd have more if he was in more less than 2 out situations or hitting w/ men on base.

38. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:49 AM

That was basically two double play balls hit in the first inning to one of the worst pitching staffs ever in baseball. I seriously hope this is not a sign of things to come.

39. peric - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:51 AM

After all the Arm Chair GM moves today – I am SHOCKED not to see the roster from Hagerstown, Cuse, Harrisburg, or Potomac as our starting line up. They'll be coming soon enough … and I much rather see Corey Brown than Rick Ankiel … but its a good thing … it means they don't see Brown as a backup and want to see him lead-off and play everyday. Pretty strong and athletic Syracuse outfield that it is with Brown, Erik Komatsu, Brett Carroll, Xavier Paul. Chris Marerro now replaces Tyler Moore at first base, Carlos Rivero and Mark Teahen are both having good years …The AAA Chiefs have come back from well under 10 games under .500 to over .500. The starting pitching isn't what they had last year but the hitting is far better in 2012. So, Michelle, the Chiefs in AAA are raking … really raking … and the Nats in the majors are pathetic offensively? What's wrong with this picture? Sure seems like some folks should be swapping positions … at the very least too much of the bench were wrong selections out of spring training if that is any indication. And AAA is about as close to the majors as you can get.

40. NatsNut - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:52 AM

OMG, who cares? watch the game. please.

41. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Here's the small sample size of Tyler Moore's matchups against RHPs .417/.500/.750/1.250

42. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Question already answered on Straburg's curve in Rocky Mountain air.

43. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 12:59 AM

And for those of you not staying up to watch the game, the first inning went 1-2-3, sorta, both ways. After Espinosa reached to lead off, Harper beat out a wouldabeen PD. Zim was not so fast. Strasburg's half was more traditional.

44. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:01 AM

For the top of the second, the sun is still bright, but the shadows are just about at the foot of the mound, which can't be hurting Strasburg much, either.

45. djinFl. - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Glad the boys in AAA, and some in AA are raking. Let some of them have a taste of the show this year, then send them back till Sept. Let the pros that got us to this point, continue to work their magic. Not one of our want to be GM's went out on a limb and called us to be in first for this much of the season. Maybe everyone should send them a congrats note.

46. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Doesn't seem to be hurting Jeff Francis, either. This guy throws like Livan. With predictable results–Morse singled in the hole, but LaRoche and Desmond waved at garbage like they were shooing flies, and Moore popped up to first. If they were going to bring somebody up to hit off this guy, they could sign somebody from Ponce de Leon, who's used to this.

47. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:06 AM

The Rockies pitcher is very Livo-like which is causing our hitters to swing out of their shoes even more than they usually do. Maybe the second time around they will time the pitches better. With the 75 pitch limit, then it will be time for a power reliever and our bats will be slowed down. For those who think the Rockies management is crazy right now, perhaps not so much. Morse hit the ball hard, everyone else no dice.

48. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:10 AM

OMG. How did LaRoche come up with that throw from Desmond on Helton's little roller to short. The ball had to have been coming directly out of the setting sun. He turned his head as he caught it–I'm sure he did not see the ball.Another quick 3 outs for Strasburg. Nothing after 2.

49. MicheleS - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:12 AM

NatsNut… Next Insider Happy Hour, I am buying you a beer!

50. MicheleS - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I am really glad i am not a Jays fan another broken pitcher:Steve Berthiaume‏@SBerthiaumeESPN#BlueJays trainers out to look at Henderson Alvarez and now Frasor is on for Toronto. Hey, another injured Jays starter!

51. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Glad he got the bunt down.

52. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Espi's OBP is skyrocketing!

53. MicheleS - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Danny is wearing a target tonight. OUCH!

54. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Zim living right there!

55. MicheleS - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:20 AM

And the breaks start helping Zimmy…

56. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Third leadoff baserunner in 3 innings for the Nats, as Flores singles to right. Strasburg, trying to bunt him over to second for the top of the order fouled off the first two, took a high fastball for ball one, and then dropped a very nice bunt indeed. Espinosa (HBP to lead off–did I mention that? Don't think so. He was.) takes one right between the ribs. Clint Hurdle liked it even less than Danny did, from the looks of it, if that's any consolation, which it probably isn't.Bryce Harper takes a strike two pitch about six inches off the plate, and then swings at strike three about seven inches off, if that's any consolation, which it probably isn't, for the second out.And Zimm! finally gets a break, bouncing a ball off the first base bag for an RBI double. Helton looked like he had a real chance at it until then. With Morse up and Espinosa on third, a pitch in the dirt gets away, but Danny didn't get any read at all (Morse waving him in notwithstanding), and then Morse grounded out to short. Coulda shoulda.1-0, Nats, middle 3.

57. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:29 AM

arg a cheap hit scores a run (of course had Stras had K francis the cheap hit would not had hurt).

58. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:31 AM

There goes the no hitter. Rockies catcher Rosario doubled to lead off, moved to third on the pitcher's one-out ground ball, and tied the game on a 47-hopper to short from the leadoff hitter Dexter Fowler. Take the lead, give it right back. That's not how they do it in the All-Star Game, son.Tied at 1 after 3.

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Had Harper did a little grounder to first instead of striking out, Ziim's hit would score two. This unproductive out stuff costs us a lot of runs.

60. NatsNut - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:35 AM

deal, Michele. =)

61. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Tyler Moore must be on Eck's radar as he is hitting like an Eck guy, swinging at two pitches that were low. That is what lots of our guys do.

62. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Look around the Majors. Tons of scoring everywhere except Colorado where the scores should be big.

63. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Coupla ground balls and a strike out. Carp says "it might look easy [to hit a 65 mph curveball), but it's not easy for Nats hitters."No kidding.Seriously, get some Ponce guys up there.

64. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Alternate universe: first place Nats with the best pitching staff in the majors tied one- one with the Colorado Rockies, who have the worst pitching staff in the majors. Alternate universe: the best hitter of the night has been Ryan Zimmerman.

65. NatsNut - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:39 AM

alternate universe: one-one all night at Coors Field.

66. peric - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:39 AM

NatsNut said…OMG, who cares? watch the game. please.To quote FP Sant'Angelo : Call him up he's ready!I am watching … so bite me.

67. peric - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Goes for Michelle too.

68. NatsNut - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:42 AM

you spelled Michele wrong.

69. peric - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:43 AM

you spelled Michele wrong.Like I said. Bite me.

70. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Strasburg gets his fourth K off Car-Go. Helton dumps a change over Espinosa, staying back nicely on off-speed stuff (Hell-OOOOOOOOO?), but that's that.Still tied after four.

71. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Todd helton looked like Vladimir Guerrero hiting the one out of the dirt. well now we know people can get hits on pitches in the durt, maybe we can too.

72. NatsNut - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:46 AM

FLORES!

73. Major Jammage - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Well, my prediction of great offense isn't looking so great, but I have hope.Morse at some point is going to eat up those slow pitches.Flores is the one guy that is seeing the pitcher.

74. NatsNut - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:47 AM

STRASBURG!

75. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Gonat said… 3 best hitters at this point are Tyler Moore and Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg.June 25, 2012 7:38 PM ________________________________Yep, told you all. LOL

76. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:49 AM

How hard can this be?? Back-to-back doubles from Jesus Flores, who thought his was out, and Strasburg, who the Rockies thought was bunting, put the Nats back on top.

77. NatsNut - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Major jammage, hilarious handle. He says it a lot.

78. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Danger Boy doing his Mick impression again tonight?

79. MicheleS - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Bryce needs to remember those AB's against Livo.

80. fresh2death1997 - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Anyone notice how Harper's stance was in his first pitch this AB?

81. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:51 AM

82. MicheleS - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:52 AM

giggling…Amanda Comak‏@acomakGod, Strasburg must have hated Interleague in AL parks so much. RBI-double to center scores Flores. #Nats up 2-1

83. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I have called for the firing of Eck (and still am), not I know who can replace him. Strasburg. He understands what to do when someone is on second.

84. Major Jammage - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I'm still new to this posting thing, so just came up with it yesterday. It could go a number of ways: severe jammage, big jammage, etc. Major jammage was the way to go. I think Teddy would approve.

85. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Our 5 best chances to score:1.) Error by opposing team2.) Hit by our pitcher3.) Wild pitch4.) Bases loaded walk5.) Ground ball off of the bag

86. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:54 AM

If the Nats pitchers weren't helping themselves out I would hate to think how much worse things would look.

87. NatsNut - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:57 AM

okay, anthony rizzo, top prospect with the cubs, 22 years old. looked at wikipedia and mike rizzo's name is michael anthony and his son is michael anthony, jr., 22 years old. c'mon, could he have hidden that from us?

88. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa said… Gonat, you got one out of three so far. Let's hope the others come around tonight! June 25, 2012 9:51 PM ________________________No, I was listing the Nats best overall hitters. Jordan Zimmermann would be 4th. Its that pathetic.I said before they should PH Stras and JZim like they used to do with Marquis. Stras hit better than Xavier Nady. Sad but true.

89. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Maj., you seem like a natural to us. Keep it flying.

90. MicheleS - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I love watching Stras pitch.. It's like watching Michelangelo paint the Sistine Chapel

91. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Where are the complainers that say the Nats pitchers get a lead and give it back up when it went 1-0 Nats to 1-1 tie.Stras decided to literally get the lead back on his own bat.

92. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 26, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Love SS! Silver Slugger and Cy Young, go get it boy!

93. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:00 AM

3 Ks, on 11 pitches that is fine.

94. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Well, I'm still here, Gonat, but it does look like Strasburg is either ticked off, or really, really glad to back in the NL. Struck out the side on what, 14 pitches? 2-1 after 5.

95. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Josh Roenicke in for Rocks

96. MicheleS - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Faraz.. let's get greedy and give him the Gold Glove as well!

97. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I told you we needed to get our pitchers back hitting again!! Is it too early in the evening to question the future employment of a certain person in the dugout? The hitting "stars"? Number 8, number 9 and the hurt guy.

98. jeffwx - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:01 AM

the game is young. Jeff Francis avgs 2 hits per innig. pray for Reineke to come in (w 26 walks in 42 innings)…oh here he comes.

99. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:02 AM

NO – Jordan gets the gold glove this year.

100. MicheleS - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:02 AM

What the?????Amanda Comak‏@acomakJosh Roenicke in to pitch for the #Rockies. Ian Desmond's brother-in-law. Desmond, due up 3rd this inn., has never faced him in his life

101. MicheleS - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Swami as long as we corner the market on the pitching awards, i am good with that.

102. NatsNut - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Charlie and Dave are saying the same thing. Roenicke is married to Desmond's sister.

103. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Michele, I don't see why not. He probably deserves it for giving the least putout chances to the rest of defense.

104. jeffwx - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:06 AM

nice hit bro (in-law)

105. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Why was Desi going for 3? I don't like it. Glad he made it. 2 outs?

106. MicheleS - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:06 AM

#6.. A Triple off your Brother In Law????

107. Old Wino - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:07 AM

He's faced him now

108. jeffwx - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:08 AM

that's a clown pitch, bro.

109. NatsNut - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:08 AM

LOLbaseballswami said…"hitting stars…Number 8, number 9 and the hurt guy."

110. Major Jammage - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Flores: time to shine tonight. You've been seeing it big!

111. jeffwx - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:10 AM

I love Tyler Moore…Peric, bring the rest of your picks up.

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:12 AM

We are now 2 for 7 RISP. better than normal, but not as good as we need to be.

113. natsfan1a - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Okay, I just had to peek in here before I went to bed. Heh.To Jane, my condolences on your dad's passing. Maybe he, in his Desi shirt, will meet up with my brother, in his Posey jersey, and talk some baseball.(And thanks for the PBP, sec3.)

114. djinFl. - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Rockie's announcers having a great time showing Roenicke's dad keeping score. They are also much more impressed with the Nats than a lot of our "fans" on here.Nothing but positive comments about the Nats.

115. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Too bad the triple was with 2 outs. Moore works the count from 0 and 2 to a walk. Very mature. Please keep a certain person in the dugout, whose future employment I have questioned, away from him. All in the family this season. The Solano brothers and Desi's in-law. I guess that's why he ran so hard.

116. jeffwx - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:16 AM

oh my…that was the worst sounding hbp I've ever seen

117. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:16 AM

OH – funny tweet from Bos about curveballs not breaking in Denver. Strasburg's curve would break in the Himalayas.

118. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:16 AM

damn Fowler returns the favor, leadoff triple.

119. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:17 AM

120. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Moore is going to do fine. Woulda been nice to get the run in from third, but whatever. Middle six, 2-1.Fowler leads off the sixth with a standup triple. And Strasburg beans Scutaro, right square in the helmet, who laid down to watch the credits on his life flashing before his eyes before getting up, getting checked out, and walking off the field to a nice ovation. First and third, nobody out, once they get settled.

121. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:18 AM

we need 3 Ks in a row ral bad now, after not keeping the bowl inside to Fowler, he went way inside to Scutero, and has set them up for a big inning.

122. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:18 AM

gonat, if any nats pitcher can get out of that jam, it is SS.

123. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Well…say good bye to the W. Strasburg looks shaken to the core…and he should be.

124. MicheleS - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Glad the Rockies took Scutaro out. That's just an awful sound.

125. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Ump took a fine time to miss Strike 3

126. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:22 AM

anyone want to know why I hate umpires almost as much as Eck. Damn Angel Hernadez refuses to call strike 3, and the nnext pitch the game is teid. I hate umps who have no clue what the strike zone is.

127. MicheleS - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:23 AM

In other NL East News.. Cubs are up 6-0 over the Mets. And Heath Bell just gacked up a 2 run jack and they are tied in Miami 6-6

128. Steady Eddie - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Another terminally defective HP ump gives the Nats the shaft. That was a K on CarGo and the miserable Angel Hernandez gave him a fourth strike. And now Stras is not unreasonably unnerved.

129. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:24 AM

I don't know if that rattled him, but Strasburg has given up the lead, and consecutive singles. The bases are loaded with nobody out, 2-2, and McCatty is out to talk to Strasburg. Is Gorzelanny up in the bullpen? I can't tell from here.

130. MicheleS - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Isn't Angel Hernandez the ump that got yanked off Joe West's Crew because the 2 of them were so awful together?

131. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Gonat said… Stras just got himself in a big time jam. Might be a good time to keep Stras's innings count down and call it an early night. June 25, 2012 10:17 PM _____________________________Wins are at a premium. Nats can't score runs. Davey and I don't agree much anymore.I would have had someone warming quick after the triple. Then the HBP, then a single, then another single. Oh well, Davey has his own way of doing things.

132. Steady Eddie - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:25 AM

You and me both, Manassas.

133. JaneB - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:25 AM

I hate Angel Hernandez too.But, mostly, the night after we learn Burnett is mortal, I don't want the same info about Stras.

134. jeffwx - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:25 AM

cmon strike out and DP and the Colorado bullpen

135. NatsLady - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:26 AM

136. jeffwx - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:26 AM

nice hitting by helton…he didn't try to swing as hard as possible, just got his bat on it for a sac fly

137. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Helton scoops another off-speed pitch out of the plate for a sac fly, all three runners tag and move up, and the Rox now lead 3-2.

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:28 AM

How frickin hard is it to be an ympire. Just call the game as it happens, not what you think happens. the ball is at the needs over the plate it is a strike. Not hard to call as far as I can see. however the umps are not accountable, as no one ever makes them be accountable. However I can guarentee you someone will question Strasburg, but not Angel Hernandex.

139. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Yeah, that ball 3 to CarGo was probably over the plate, but that wasn't what's happening here.

140. Steady Eddie - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Jane, very sorry to hear about your Dad. Appreciate your sharing with us all the stories of his fierce fandom this year. I hope the Nats' performance this year gave him some happy moments shared with you and the family.

141. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Who was it got suspended a couple of weeks ago for basically being a crappy umpire? It's rare, but it should be.

142. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Angel Hernandez should send Strasburg an apology card. What a jerk.

143. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:32 AM

thank you, that is over.sorry about marco. hope he feels better.now let's score some runs.

144. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:33 AM

That is the first time I remember Strasburg completely out of focus. Nothing he could do about the hits batsmen, it was already done. He reminded me more of Detwiler than Strasburg that inning. Not bad having only 1 inning out of 92 with a lack of focus. But because our hitters are so poor we cannot afford any losing of focus by pitchers.

145. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Well, that could have been worse, if it's any consolation, which it probably isn't.

146. Major Jammage - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Hey, I'll take 2 runs that inning. Could have been worse. Strasburg was battling, but kept it from being a huge inning (which the Rockies are fully capable of).We're down 1 run against a suspect pitching staff.C'mon Nats.

147. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:35 AM

The Nats have to start picking up their pitchers. Its time.

148. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Lombardozzi strikes out leading off for the Nats. Strasburg leaves, on the hook for the loss; 6 innings, 3 runs, 8 Ks, the HPB, a bb if I'm no mistaken–97 pitches, 65 for strikes.

149. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Lombo with another horrible at-bat. He is really slumping. Swinging at his eyeballs.

150. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Espi tries to make Lombo's at-bat look good. Just when you want to answer, you get 2 lousy back-to-back ABs

151. jeffwx - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:40 AM

smart move by Rosario to tell Reineke to keep the ball away from bryce

152. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:40 AM

What, wait–he called that strike one to harper??? That was in the other batters box. Hokey Smoke.

153. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Angel Hernandez gives the pitcher a strike up & away for an 0-1. That is such bull. Have some strike zone integrity.

154. SCNatsFan - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:41 AM

We have 2 guys in the starting lineup who are hitting over 265 and our best PH is hitting 233.If you aren't oing to bring in some help for Eck then trade for some guys who fit his ideas. Watching this team some nights is like watching paint dry waiting for our 2 run inning.

155. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:42 AM

2 more Cy Youngs born again tonight…at Coors Field no less. I am truly starting to hate this team.

156. NatsLady - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:42 AM

He lost focus in the first inning of that game with the 7-minute rain delay. Three outfielders dropped a routine fly, Hot Stuff, etc., you remember that…That is the first time I remember Strasburg completely out of focus.

157. jeffwx - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:42 AM

if hitting is contagious…bad at bats are also

158. DJB - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Pathetic. When is it time to panic? Sweep coming.

159. SCNatsFan - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Now Bryce with 3 Ks. Time to go to bed. Unless they bring in Heath Bell I won't miss much.

160. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:43 AM

I am baffled. Why would Lombardozzi pinch hit for Strasburg. Isn't a pinch hitter siuppose to be a better hitter? Lets Stras hit, and Lombardozzi could pinch run.

161. Major Jammage - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:44 AM

The major difference in this team has been the mini-slump that Bryce has been in as of late. He was a spark plug for a while, and no one has taken his spot.

162. burns15 - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:44 AM

This lineup absolutely blows right now…no one in the lineup is hitting consistently, and no one is getting the big hit….might be looking at a sweep this series because lord knows the rockies will hit

163. Section 135 - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Worst offense ever.

164. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Firing the hitting coach everyone says won't make difference, but sure did for the Angels. Worth a try to me, but our management team loves ECk. I reaaly do not.

165. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:47 AM

I am sure that Strasburg was rattled by nearly killing someone – wouldn't you be? In the first inning maybe he recovers but in that heat and altitude he was probably gassed, which was why he lost the pitch. Yes, folks he and RA Dickey are both mortal. But again, tonight, the familiar refrain is —- if you don't score more than 2 or 3 runs, you are not going to win. Come one now, everyone – sing along. You know the words by heart! I fondly remember the first part of the season – you know, those late inning rallies, come from behind victories – we never felt out of it because we knew someone was going to pull it out in the late innings. I miss those days.

166. DJB - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:49 AM

167. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I see Davey threw in the white flag, and broght Gorzolanny in. Not quite as bright a white as if Wang had come in.

168. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:51 AM

DJB said… Throwing the towel in on this season. Wake me up when its football season. May need to learn how to like the O's again. ______________________________I think your initials say it all about you. Please, find another team.

169. Steady Eddie - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Now where's peric with his encomiums for how great Gorzy is? I think he is decent but kind of inconsistent, and giving a walk to a very fast PH is not the way to keep a one-run deficit at one. And then Young comes in to score.

170. jeffwx - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Well, espi, zimm, alr, morse are .250 hitters at best, not reliable hitters right now. Harper in a slump…so must rely on pitchers for 50% of your offense.Nats would do well to stop trying to swing as hard as possible, rather swing to make contact and go with the pitch until they get their groove back.

171. do1teach1 - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Two types of people populate this board:1. People who say we've got to score more runs or we're done, and2. People who say "We're in first place, the pitching will continue to be the best in baseball, don't worry about anything."Yesterday we transformed the execrable Arieta into Cy Young. Tonight we turned the pathetic Jeff Francis into Cy Young.Scoring two runs ought to be enough, right?- Except we're already down 3-2, and to us, a 3-2 lead is insurmountable.Don't worry…we're in first place.Does anyone still believe the "don't worry" approach makes sense?

172. Major Jammage - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:56 AM

C'mon folks, no throwing in the towel.We've got some work to do. It's time for the big boys to earn their money: Zman, Morse, Laroche.

173. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:56 AM

I don't have a clue how the hitters sleep at night. I can't replaying in my head the nonsense that happens. If I knew my part of team probably has cost the team 5-10 wins already, I couldn't sleep. However, they keep thinking that they will break out any day. What is the stall. the Rockies can't pitch, and we still can't hit.

174. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Yep, the season is lost. They're mired in first place, the opposition is losing worse, and hurting more, than they are, and the most important part of baseball–pitching–they have no better than the third or fourth best staff in the last hundred years. Wotta bunch of bums.

175. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:58 AM

The Nats have to put up some crooked numbers.

176. Major Jammage - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Does anyone still believe the "don't worry" approach makes sense? June 25, 2012 10:55 PM We should all worry–that's why we're watching the game. We just got to make sure that we appreciate the highs, and don't get too down on the lows.

177. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Zim with such an unprofessional at-bat. New pitcher and pops up on 1st pitch. I am just shaking my head side to side.

178. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Morse follows that up with a 3 pitch strikeout and all of a sudden Belisle looks like Kimbrel.

179. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Cognitive distortion is the cause of most stress, I hear. If you had the idea this was an average offensive ball club, of course you're disappointed. Disillusioned, even. If you have no illusions, you don't get dis-illusioned. You don't have silk purses here, folks.

180. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:01 AM

181. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Is it time for my "It's just a GAME" speech yet?

182. jeffwx - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:02 AM

these are the saddest of possible words, zman to morse to laroche, there are no easy answers to an offense that stinks,Ankiel, DeRosa and Nady

183. Steady Eddie - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Two types of people populate this board.People who treat others as individuals and respond to the substance of what specific commenters are saying; And people who lump others into grossly oversimplified categories based on silly cartoons.You've told us what kind you are, teach, haven't you?

184. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:02 AM

I am not sure that Harper is really in a slump. I think that having Ryan be so bad behind him is causing him to get garbage pitches. Plus, our bright shiny rookies are getting more and more of the influence of the person whose future employment should be in question. A two run lead sounds like 10 about now and it didn't used to feel that way. The team is in a slump, collectively. Another hot streak is right around the corner? We can real off another 6 in a row?

185. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:03 AM

They have a chance to win every game, because they ahve great pitching, so I am not complaining about over all results. Complaining 100% on hitting.

186. fresh2death1997 - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:03 AM

and the woes continue.. my blood pressure is topping the roof right now.

187. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:05 AM

I hear you. We get three outs at the speed of light. Blink and you miss it. Can we at least make it harder for them – use up just a few more pitches?

188. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:07 AM

189. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Lets see Rockies in last 17 games 3-14. ERA 6.50In the last 4 games we have scored 7 runs in the two parks that aare most batter friendly. There is no doubt what needs improving. The coaches are not working out a plan.

190. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Well, and the other thing on Harper is, he is getting some kind of a strike zone lately. I'm not sure Willie McCovey could reach some of those "strikes." So he is swinging, of necessity.

191. baseballswami - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:09 AM

I know we sometimes joke about " what was your approach?" ala Debbie Taylor – but there really doesn't seem to be one. Moore usually has a good at-bat and acts like he has a plan up there. Everyone else seems to just hurry up and swing no matter what. I would love to see some good old-fashioned working of the count.

192. Section 222 - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Did I really just hear Kristina report that Davey said that Nady, like Zimmerman, has been "playing" through an injury that's been bothering him all year? If that's true, Nady should never again play in the majors. When you're a guy with an OPS+ of 32, you don't get to conceal an injury. Not that I believe a word of it though. Almost certainly just part of the cover story.

193. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:13 AM

tonight's attendance is over 40,000.

194. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:14 AM

it's not which pitch they swing at so much as the fact that they're all trying to hit it into Boulder.

195. Section 222 - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:14 AM

At least Angel Hernandez won't be behind the plate tomorrow.

196. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Fear and Ignorance said… 24 runs in 11 games…if I were Strasburg, I would be up in their faces after tonight's game, especially Zimmerman. Somebody needs to hold them accountable. June 25, 2012 11:01 PM _____________________________One of the runs was thanks to Strasburg's own RBIs. That's what makes it even worse.

197. Section 222 - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Ryan Zimmerman take note. You can get better pitches to hit if you work the count like Tyler Moore. Thanks for listening.

198. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Bad luck for Bernadina. Killed that ball.

199. Gonat - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Should be pinch running for Flores. Need to score from 1st on a double.

200. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 26, 2012 at 3:23 AM

I would have more confidence in Detwiler in this situation.