Game 72: Nats at Rockies

Jun 26, 2012, 8:56 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
The Nats try to bounce back tonight in Game 2 of 4 at Coors Field.

They've lost seven of 10, during which time they've scored an average of 2.5 runs per game while posting a collective .558 OPS. (If they were one individual player, that would rank 163rd of 164 qualifying major-league hitters, ahead of only Kurt Suzuki.) Yet the Nationals arrive at Coors Field this evening still holding a 3 1/2-game lead in the NL East over both the Braves and Mets, the second-largest lead of any of baseball's six first-place clubs.

Make no mistake, though: The Nats need to start hitting. They know this, and they know they've been presented a great opportunity to start clicking offensively this week in the mile-high air of Denver, against a Rockies pitching staff that owns the majors' worst ERA (5.29) by leaps and bounds.

They couldn't make a dent into Jeff Francis or Josh Roenicke last night. They'll attempt to do it tonight against rookie left-hander Christian Friedrich (who has lost his last three starts) and whatever reliever Rockies manager Jim Tracy plucks from his bullpen around the fifth or sixth inning.

Gio Gonzalez, meanwhile, seeks to accomplish what Stephen Strasburg could not last night: Earn his 10th win of the season. As you know, I'm not in Colorado for this series, but please continue the conversation below, and I'll even attempt to chime in with some of my own thoughts during the game…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 8:40 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 91 degrees, Wind 10 mph LF to RF

2B Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
RF Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. baseballswami - Jun 27, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Bless you , Gio for the top of the fourth AND the bottom of the fourth.

2. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:04 AM

He fuss at Harper for swinging at the outside pitches. he lets one go, I am thinking great, and the ump calls it a strike. pitch track sjhowed it way out. What is he to do?

3. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Soul – I'm listening to Charlie and Dave…generally if they're surprised a runner goes, I assume it was a bad idea. They were very surprised when Desmond took off.I'm watching, and while I do defer to FP's far superior experience, in all honesty, I didn't think Desmond got that good a jump (despite what FP said), and while the throw was good, the ball was on the ground a long time–Rosario had to toss the mask and take two steps before he picked it up. So I think it was more of case of "make them make a play"–which they did–than a bad read. If the throw had not been good, it's at least a very close play, and only the 4th inning, and trying to get the lead back after coughing it up. So like I said, maybe a little too aggressive, but not boneheaded.

4. ehay2k - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:07 AM

No worries Sofa – you are one of my fave posters. I REALLY want to know what ALR said to Harper. But I have the feeling we'll never know, unless Davely lets it slip in the post game. ;-)These Nats make you watch every second of every game, and then the post game pressers too!

5. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Thanks, ehay, but also thanks for the needed correction. We all need it sometimes.The Currently Strawberry Blonde Cubs Fan Wife (AKA Sec 1, My Sofa) and I concurred that Harper looked like a 19 y.oo. who messed up and got his ass chewed out.

6. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Mark's Posting from the house… BabyZ must be asleep…(and thank Mrs Z for being a baseball fan and tolerant!!!)

7. RickH - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Mark … You might want to take a trip to the fridge. Maybe that will work like going into the stands!

8. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Oh, and Desmond getting thrown out, last add: did I mention that he (reasonably) broke for second before seeing entirely where the ball bounced? Good job by Rosario keeping it in front of himself.And Ian Again!!

9. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:17 AM

I believe I called that Ian would have a good night (patting back profusely)… And with that.. I am heading for deep slumbers..

10. ehay2k - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:19 AM

MicheleS, we owe you a Camomile tea

11. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:19 AM

don't turn off the channel yet…its the Tyler Moore show

12. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Ehay2k.. Please spike with a TyMo home run.. HOW SWEET WAS THAT!..I am going to pay for this tomorrow morning!

13. fresh2death1997 - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:20 AM

You guys want hits? You guys have it!

14. RickH - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Ladies and gentlemen … Tyler Moore!!!

15. ehay2k - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Oh MicheleS, I hope you saw that one from Moore!

16. Swift Eagle - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:21 AM

He's going to make it after all….

17. Jimmy - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:21 AM

There's that Moore Offense (TM).

18. NatsNut - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:22 AM

I've been saying this all along – Eckstein needs to be extended.

19. ehay2k - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:22 AM

That will make Moore forget the ball that went over his head. Not that it was all his fault, but as a young player, he probably beating himself up over it. Did FP just say that was 450 ft? Into the wind? OMG!

20. phil dunton - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Wow! Awesome.

21. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:25 AM

NO Really, I am shutting the TV off right now..

22. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:26 AM

450 might be a bit much, but then again, I think he shorted Tyler a few rows on the telestrator, so maybe not. Wind has to be at least 20 knots to move those flags like that. Mark, I know you're filling in the updates on top, but as long as you're "sitting in the bleachers" tonight, come on down and kibbitz? We'll behave. Really, we will.

23. ehay2k - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:27 AM

MicheleS – go to bed. As you pointed out, Slaten is in AAA toight.

24. Doc - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Drysdale had his regular game–the kind of game he has against everybody else.GooooooooooooNats!Go Tyler Moore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:28 AM

what a ballpark…hot air a mile high and ball flys

26. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:28 AM

We need an inning where we hit the middle of the baseball with the middle of the plate alot. We need innings like this 2 to 3 times a week, plus a few 2 and 3 runnings a week would help to. the 1 at a time method is tough to swallow.

27. UnkyD - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:31 AM

9 runs?!?! Just don't anybody wake me up….

28. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:37 AM

The fielding is killing us tonight, for once it is the offense carrying the team. as the pitcher and defense are slacking off.

29. ehay2k - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Gio is painting the outside corner against lefties. Pretty sure I saw a fan in the front row say WOW after one slider/slurve.Ok, gnite all. 6:00 taxi to the airport. Still need to pack. GYFNG! And take the series!

30. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:38 AM

OK, for Michele, and probably 1a: after you left, Zimm nearly got Espinosa killed at second on a shoulda-been double play when he couldn't quite get a handle on the throw, but the 4-6-3 mooted that. Still 9-4, Nats, after five.

31. SCNatsFan - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Fire Eckstein.Just looking to stay consistent folks.

32. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Zimm's hit #1001 just makes the first row for his fourth HR of the year. Yeah, it's Colorado. Nevermind. 10-4 Nats, alto 6.

33. djinFl. - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:46 AM

That's it!I'm going to get a cortisone shot tomorrow, see if I can feel as good as Zim.

34. phil dunton - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:46 AM

The cortisone shot worked wonders! Why did they wait so long?

35. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:49 AM

OK, that was just silly. LaRoche hit that, and I reflexively pointed up–that's a popup. 11-4.

36. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Although, to be fair, LaRoche did hit the bottom of that ball.Excuse me, 12-4, and you KNOW they're getting shut out tomorrow, right?

37. Section 222 - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Hey, can I get some of that cortisone stuff. Wow! So is part of the deal with this 4 starter piggy back thing that they have to leave the second pitcher in the game no matter what happens? This is ridiculous. I feel for the Rockies' fans. Can you imagine what their Rockies Insider type blog is like tonight?

38. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:53 AM

So Moscoso came in with a lead, and it's now 12-4, and he still only has … ok, now he has 3 outs. That has to be the biggest hairball EVER.

39. Will - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Eckstein for President.

40. NatsFan05 - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Section 222.Come on…when was the last time we scored more then 4 runs. Wish this would happen every night. It would make life a little nicer…hehe

41. Jim Webster - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:57 AM

17 hits in 6 innings …. Rick Eckstein sure is a failure.

42. Mark Zuckerman - Jun 27, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Barkeep: A round of cortisone shots for all my friends!OK, I figure it's safe to duck my head in here now, right?

43. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Wait, you're bringing cortizone shots, and worried that YOU aren't safe??

44. Swift Eagle - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Welcome to NI In-Game Thread Mark!!! Home of the Over Reaction Theater, the Fire Eck Orchestra, and the We'll Never Stay in 1st Place Dancers….

45. RickH - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Welcome, Mark!

46. NatsFan05 - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Still a tad early for "Oh happy Days!', but getting closer…

47. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Over-Reaction Theater! I like it! We'll need a script soon.

48. djinFl. - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Good one Swift EagleWelcome Mark, nice to have you comments on such a fun night.

49. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:08 AM

OK, Bryce–get a hit here or you're buying the donuts all next week.

50. NatsNut - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Does Davey even remember how to manage with a 7-run lead?

51. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:10 AM

OK, Bryce owes Flores a dozen donuts.

52. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:11 AM

All together now: Where Was Jesus Flores Going?? What Was He Thinking??

53. fresh2death1997 - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Don't blame Jesus, blame Bo.

54. Swift Eagle - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:14 AM

With the way the ball is flying out, Jesus must have figured he was at the Little League park in Williamsport…only 60 ft between bases there

55. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Geez. Michele is expecting a recap…what are we going to tell her about that??Jesus Flores went about 70 feet up the line on a couldabeen, but not-to-be, sac fly from Zimm. Bo was giving him the hold sign, if it's any consolation, tho it probably isn't.

56. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Why not Wang to pitch?

57. NatsFan05 - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Just tell her Zim hit into a DP, she'll believe it. (Sorry Ryan)

58. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Wow, this is like extra innings, but without all the extra innings.Oh, [stuff]–please don't let this become extra innings.

59. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Oooh, 05, that's cold. True, but so wrong. I like it.

60. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:19 AM

ALL TOGETHER: WHO??

61. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Mark, not everyone was calling for Ecksteins head

62. Mark Zuckerman - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Somebody help me out: WHO is this guy pinch-hitting for the Rockies?

63. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:20 AM

A Wil Nieves sighting! Cool. I liked that guy.Now strike him out.

64. SCNatsFan - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Ghost – the only one not calling for his head was Mrs. Eck and Davey.

65. JaneB - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:22 AM

I wouldn't have minded if Wil had gotten a good knock. We could afford it and I like him that much. I'm glad he is still playing.But more glad….way way way more glad… That the guys are kicking butt tonight! Whatever the ate or wore today, they have to repeat for ever.

66. Swift Eagle - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Wasn't he Odalis Perez's personal catcher? Ah those were the days..

67. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Now, SCNF, to be fair, I have always been agnostic on the hitting coach. I believe "sow's ear" was the phrase I used.

68. djinFl. - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:25 AM

All right, were going for our all time hit mark.One more tie it.

69. Section 222 - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:26 AM

I don't think I've ever called for Eck's head because I just don't think a hitting coach makes any difference. But for those of you actively defended him to say that tonight proves you were right is kind of silly. The Nats have had big offensive nights before. They scored 17 runs or something once last year in Baltimore. Does that mean that critics of Eck are wrong? Does the fact that Zim got three hits tonight mean he is out of his slump? Of course not. Let's see some consistency before we start proclaiming all the problems solved.Not that I'm not enjoying this big night. :-)

70. JaneB - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:26 AM

It's fun to have Mark in the sandbox, even though he's not in the press box,

71. Swift Eagle - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Did they bring in a Slump-buster???

72. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Thanks for the 21-hit record heads-up, Mark. That bloop by Morse was #20. Here's a semi-serious question for the insider Insiders: Generally, you don't stretch stuff like that into a double when you're up by five after the fifth. But in some situations, like, say, playing in Colo., or Wrigley with the wind blowing out, is there a multiplier for that? Like, up 7 after the 7th?

73. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:28 AM

on the camera shot over the Nats' on-deck hitter's shoulder, there's a kid with the best mohawk I've seen outside of Toronto or SF since the 1970s.

74. Mark Zuckerman - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Steve M: I know a lot of you weren't calling for Eckstein's head. Just seems fitting that at the end of a day when so many others were, the Nats would go out and put together their best offensive performance in years.

75. Swift Eagle - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Sec 222You are correct about tonight. But the slumps aren't on Eck either. MLB hitting coaches are advisers and provide info on pitchers and feedback on mechanics…they don't have the authority to demand a certain approach by the hitters, it's just not their role..Eck is not the offensive coordinator…

76. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Everybody's a critic.Just an odd graphic, but they should be more careful. MASN posted a graphic on the screen about "the last 5-hit game for the Nats was…"Looking up from the laptop, what I saw and did a doubletake on: "the last 5hit game for the Nats…"

77. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:37 AM

OK, this is worth revising:Home of the Over-Reaction Orchestra, the Fire-Eck Theater , and the We'll Never Stay in 1st Position Dancers …And if I win a dinner with Rizzo, I'm going to talk about Ponce baseball the whole time.

78. NatsNut - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:39 AM

for the record, it was a joke. =)NatsNut said…I've been saying this all along – Eckstein needs to be extended.

79. NatsFan05 - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Holly cow Batman! 21 hits!..Where did that come from!

80. Gonat - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Peric has to be scratching his head how DeRosa got a double and a walk. So much for your 1 for 11 in A ball.

81. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Well, they tied the 21 hits. That's pretty fricken bueno, I guess. Right?

82. A DC Wonk - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:43 AM

MicheleS said… Adding Unknown@7:05 to beverage list… (Wonk you are always on the list…)MicheleS — good call — that Unknown@7:05 _was_ me!(Technical difficulties made it "unknown")

83. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Aww, c'mon, Gonat. It's 12-5 in the 9th, you gotta poke him with a stick now?

84. NatsFan05 - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:45 AM

What a great night had by all! Agreed! Fricken Bueno! GYFNG!

85. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:46 AM

And speaking of PFB—heeeeeeere's Henry!

86. A DC Wonk - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:46 AM

My nomination for best post of the thread:Swift Eagle said… Home of the Over Reaction Theater, the Fire Eck Orchestra, and the We'll Never Stay in 1st Place Dancers….

87. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:47 AM

seconded, Wonk, with enthusiasm

88. djinFl. - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:47 AM

Maybe while waiting for tomorrow nights game to start we could have a spirited discussion on why an Eck coached team can not get passed the 21 hit mark.

89. NatsFan05 - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Oh Happy days!

90. Swift Eagle - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:49 AM

You are too kind….Someone please do Michele's line…

91. Mark Zuckerman - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:50 AM

92. Doc - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:56 AM

MarkMeister, even when you're not there,you're there!Finally the Nats hitters are listening to Eck and Davey!

93. Gonat - Jun 27, 2012 at 3:59 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… NatsLady, I'm not in panic time. I'm not firing Eckstein yet because I think he is playing with wounded guys. Best thing he can do is pump them up and encourage them.Morse carried this team on his back last year, I'm hopeful he will do it again.June 26, 2012 12:34 PM _________________________________Ok Steve, you said you aren't firing Eck yet.Morse with the big 2 run double to put the Nats up 3-0 and a 4 hit night.I thought Morse's and Desi's hit in a 2 strike count with bases loaded were the biggest hits of the night and credit to all the Nats.10 Curly W's for Gio is a nice Welcome to the Nats.

94. rdexposfan - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:00 AM

My math says Nats BA went from .238 to .242 with this game leapfrogging Miami and Milwaukee into 12th spot in team batting.

95. Gonat - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:01 AM

Mark Zuckerman said… Thanks for following along tonight, everyone. I'll be up for a little bit longer writing an analysis piece for the morning. June 26, 2012 11:50 PM ___________________________Nice to finally finish a laugher!

96. Swift Eagle - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:02 AM

Ok, I'll do it.."WOOO-HOOO!!!"(Copyright, MicheleS, 2011)

97. Section 222 - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:03 AM

98. Gonat - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:04 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… So that "crack" I mentioned this morning concerning Eck just got completely sealed by Davey. Sorry Eck bashers. June 26, 2012 7:19 PM ______________________________It's the students. I really am liking TyMo's approach. Working to his pitch. Working to his zone.Zim and Morse with breakout games. Now they need to get Harp jumpstarted.

99. NatsFan05 - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Congrats to Ryan Z. for 1000 hits as Nat!It's been a tough season for you, tear it up Ryan!

100. Gonat - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:05 AM

Section 222 said… Zim says we've been doing better over the last week. Like when we scored 5 runs in three games against the O's? Sorry, I really don't mean to be negative. This was a great win, and hopefully the start of a run. I just wish guys wouldn't say stuff like this. Some of us actually follow this team and know what happened in the last week. June 27, 2012 12:03 AM ______________________________Yep, unless he was counting this game 3 times since they more than tripled their runs output in 1 game.

101. sjm308 - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:07 AM

This was so much fun I actually went back and read all 290 comments!!MichelleS – we need to buy you whatever you need for sticking up for the Nationals just about every day in every way.Funny but once we got way ahead I did not see posts from JayB, Peric, Phil etc. Do we only have to do poorly for some people to pontificate?Love that DeRosa had the 21st hit and was on base both at bats tonight. Seems like lots of the younger players are glad he is back but of course JayB wants Juan Pierre who is hitting a robust .208 and probably would be pouting about not getting playing time here. OK, no more piling on, just enjoying that 3.5 game lead and the fact we are 12 games over .500 once again. Mark, thanks for the updates in the actual post and how great to see you playing along with the "littles" here as well.Go Nats!!!

102. Swift Eagle - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:12 AM

I think if the Nats gave those Gloom and Doom NI fans gold bars, they'd complain about them being too heavy…I bet they'll be on here bashing the design of the Nats World Series rings one day…

103. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:14 AM

Eagle, that goes without saying. I mean, really, a Rally Napkin on the rings?

104. Gonat - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Swift Eagle, sure, there are Doomy Gloomy people and some outlandish comments but there are also some well thought out ideas and observations and some may seem negative. It has been a tough 10 days.Its easy to be complimentary after a 12 run barage and Wednesday is a new day. The hope I think we all have is that this is a start for Morse and Zim as the 3, 4, 5 guys can carry this team.

105. sjm308 - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Probably silly to be posting on something that I will not come back and read comments on, and probably no one will comment anyway but I just looked at attendance for the night. After selling out 2 of 3 and going well over 40,000 for the 3rd game against those FIRST PLACE Washington Nationals, the O's only draw 24,000 against Albert Pujols and the Angels. Also Colorado had 36,000 for those FIRST PLACE Washington Nationals tonight so even though there are certain NI's who see gloom and doom for our plucky lads, they are now a big draw in major league baseball. I am expecting huge crowds when we return home, and I have used Red Carpet to go the 5th, 6th and &7th (actually the 5th is part of my 20 game package)Go Nats!!Go Nats!

106. Swift Eagle - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:21 AM

Lol..Awesome NatsLady! I'm waiting for the day JayB is on here questioning the route of the Nats World Series Victory Parade…"How could they go down Constitution Ave, when other more prominent streets are avail? It's not my job to mention them here, but they're out there"

107. Gonat - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:24 AM

Swift Eagle, now that is funny.

108. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:24 AM

Nevertheless, SJM, it's a good point. Strasburg, Gio, Harper, and the rest of the Nats are packing them in. Which is good, since the visiting team gets a cut of the gate.

109. Swift Eagle - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:25 AM

110. Gonat - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:26 AM

https://twitter.com/#!/RallyNapkin is already a NatsTown Twitter sensation.

111. Gonat - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Swift Eagle said… Well said Gonat…the well thought posts (and Mark's coverage) are what keep me coming back… June 27, 2012 12:25 AM _____________________________Even Davey got in on it saying the Nats batters make a lot of pitchers look like Sandy Koufax. Davey should know.Trivia – Davey Johnson got the last hit off of Koufax in his career which happened in the 1966 World Series.

112. baseballswami - Jun 27, 2012 at 4:34 AM

Well now – I made a vow to watch the game and just enjoy it. Wasn't hard at all after the first couple of innings. I rather enjoyed it a lot. Nothing to it. No stress. My goodness, though, Tyler Moore hit that ball a mile. What a night. Hope Jordan is not expecting this tomorrow. He usually doesn't even get 3.

113. peric - Jun 27, 2012 at 5:01 AM

Lannan allowed 1ER for Syracuse for 5th time in last 6 GS. Quality MLB pitcher in AAA. How many AAA pitchers started in #MLB tonight? #NatsAnd said agent failed to tell you why Michele now didn't he? It turns out the reason the Nats pitching staff (and especially AAAA pitcher John Lannan) have suddenly dramatically improved while the offense continues to rake? From right out of the movies … a journeyman, but very professional, extremely competent defensive catcher named Koyie Hill. Given the rave reviews and his movie script story is it any wonder Johnny boy decided to shape up? How can act like a schmuck and look this guy in the eye? He can't. ~smiles~ Kudos to Rizzo for picking up a guy who may be right up there with the best defensive catchers the Nats have and a very good reason why Sandy Leon will be returned to Harrisburg. The Chiefs have a 10 game winning streak and it started when he became their catcher.

114. peric - Jun 27, 2012 at 5:05 AM

I have used Red Carpet to go the 5th, 6th and &7th (actually the 5th is part of my 20 game packageHmmm, strongly suggest that Natsfan1a, NatsNut, and MicheleS and too many others avoid sitting behind the visitors dugout. Because a certain newer fan but famous DC sports fan named Robin Ficker might be there …I wouldn't mind sitting next to him at all at all … but some of you folks? ~smiles~ Ha!

115. rogieshan - Jun 27, 2012 at 5:16 AM

The interview Davey Johnson gave today defending Eckstein brought back shades of his vigorous stance to keep Bill Robinson as his batting coach with the Mets. The boys proved two things tonight: One, they're firmly behind their embattled hitting instructor. Two, yeah, they do have a lot of talent.

116. Drew - Jun 27, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Somebody on the radio broadcast team has a sense of humor. After Tyler Moore's epic blast, the bumper leading to the commercial was "More, More, More" the awful 1976 disco number by The Andrea True Connection.

117. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 27, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I see peric crawled out from under his rock when he felt safe.

118. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Wait–I'm so confused. I thought the hitters were raking in 'Cuse and that's why they were on a streak.The Chiefs have a 10 game winning streak and it started when he became their catcher.

119. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Aw, I shouldn't make fun of peric. We're all ~smiling~ this morning…

120. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:16 AM

…teams are averaging a major league-leading 12.75 runs and three homers a game at Coors Field.OK, I guess we shouldn't get too excited. Still fun, though.

121. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:16 AM

isn't zimmerman supposed to be injured? geez, someone tell him that.man if going to sleep early means I get to see this kind of box score, I am all for it. Very happy!!

122. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Thanks for the game update!!! It was great to go back and read all the comments. Especially since it was a rare laugher.Peric, if you read my post from Lannan's agent (and didn't cut out my part of the comment), you would see that my comment was the Agent was getting involved – again. Who cares how Lannan won the game or who you think is responsible for it.

123. natsfan1a - Jun 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Seconding the thanks for the game updates from Mark and sec3. (Re. peric's comment on the fancy-schmancy seats near the heckler, no worries there, as I tend to frequent the upper deck at Nats Park. I'll leave the seats behind the dish for the swells. ;-))