Game 73: Nats at Rockies

Jun 27, 2012, 9:58 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
Jordan Zimmermann hopes to get plenty of run support tonight at Coors Field.

After a record-setting offensive performance last night, do the Nationals enter tonight's game with any positive momentum? Well, the old baseball adage insists that "momentum is only as good as tomorrow's starting pitcher." So who are tonight's starting pitchers?

For the Nationals, it's Jordan Zimmermann, owner of a 2.89 ERA and 12 quality starts in 14 tries this season. And for the Rockies, it's Edwar Cabrera, 24-year-old left-hander making his big-league debut after 15 starts at Class AA. We shall see how that matchup works out.

Couple of changes to Davey Johnson's lineup: Adam LaRoche (who clubbed two homers last night) gets the day off. Tyler Moore will move to first base, with Mark DeRosa starting in left field. Jhonatan Solano gets the nod behind the plate. Marco Scutaro, meanwhile, is back in Colorado's lineup two nights after getting drilled in the head by a Stephen Strasburg fastball.

As you know, I'm not in Denver for this series, but I'll try to chime in with some thoughts along the way. And as always, the comments section is open for business…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 8:40 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 84 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to CF

2B Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
RF Michael Morse

1. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Today would be my dad's birthday..it's also the anniversary of Davey's 1st game as manager.. and Sorry if I get mushy.. I figure Davey is my Dad's present to me so I can watch winning baseball for once in my life (Dad raised me as a cubs fan – we see how that worked out)GYFNG!!!! Boys Gets some runs for JZ!!!

2. Doc - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Let's hope that the Nats don't treat this AA guy Cabrera guy like he was the reincarnation of Koufax???

3. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Just like I said yesterday…..JUST BARREL UP THE FRIGGIN BALL!

4. Grandstander - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Mark DeRosa's batting 6th?

5. baseballswami - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Just saw the latest Nyger dust- up. So glad he is not on the team right now. Seriously, our guys are so tame. I love it. Just play ball, guys. We don't need the rest of it. Hoping for fair winds at the park tonight and that the Sandy Koufax impersonator is wearing curly W. ( or a DC)

6. Will - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Cabrera is a strikeout machine. I think he led the minors in Ks last season.Seems like a good time for him to get a start, against a weak-hitting, strikeout prone ballclub, that has a knack for making mediocre pitchers look like aces.

7. peric - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Mark DeRosa's batting 6th?FeelWood is probably right on DeRosa. They have to give him another chance to prove he is a viable major leaguer just as they did with Lidge. If he really flounders have to assume he gets DFA'ed or he hangs up the cleats on his own.

8. peric - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Seems like a good time for him to get a start, against a weak-hitting, strikeout prone ballclub, that has a knack for making mediocre pitchers look like aces.Build confidence? Good match up then. Pitcher's duel again at Coor's Field.

9. jeffwx - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM

gotta weaken the lineup for Zmnn

10. JB - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Harper has clearly been taken to the woodshed by "crafty veterens" (e.g. Pettite, Francis). Young guys relying on live arms are mother's milk. Bryce is going to have a good night.NatinBeantown

11. Will - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Grandstander,I'm totally in agreement. If Davey Johnson has one problem, it's that he places entirely too much emphasis on lefty-righty match ups. Tyler Moore hit 2 HR and a 2B, then couldn't get another start for a week because of a lack of LH starter matchups. Then Adam LaRoche does the exact same thing last night, and get benched in favor of Mark DeRosa?!?LaRoche is by no means a lefty specialist, but he's still OPSing .752 against them. DeRosa, a supposed LHP specialist, is only OPSing .696 against them since 2010.Seems like a waste to me. Ride the hot bat, and keep Mark DeRosa as far away as possible from the starting lineup no matter what.

12. SonnyG10 - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Stand easy folks, Nats be raking again tonight!

13. JB - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Forget Maalox, I'll take my bourbon with cortisone again, barkeep.

14. peric - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:23 PM

LaRoche is by no means a lefty specialist, but he's still OPSing .752 against them. DeRosa, a supposed LHP specialist, is only OPSing .696 against them since 2010.Supposedly LaRoche is injured again which is why Davey has been using him mostly against right handed pitching. And they need to see what Moore can do. DeRosa or Lombo that may be the question given Brown and then Werth.

15. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM

The big fire is in Colorado Springs, about 70 miles south of Denver.waldo-canyon-fire-information-june-27http://www.coemergency.com/2012/06/waldo-canyon-fire-information-june-27.html

16. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:25 PM

There were 4 different situations involving Nyger Morgan today that had his manager grittin his teeth and stomping around the dugout.1. First inning takes 2 steps back on a routine fly ball to right that drops in front of him for a double.2. Bases loaded 1 out in the 6th and he pulls back late on a suicide bunt attempt leaving the guy on third easy pickins AND getting a called strike. Then pops up for the 3rd out.3. Men on first and second in the top of the 8th and Nyger stays at first while the guy on second gets thrown out stealing third for the second out.4. The foul ball and fan dust up down the RF foul line.Man I'm glad that guy is somewhere else.

17. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:26 PM

LaRoche has got to be injured again. When he's not actually making a play he's walkin' pretty slow and almost limping.

18. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:27 PM

19. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Wow.. the Dodgers are about to get swept by SF. And that means they are tied for 1st place in the West.

20. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM

MicheleS, and Ethier is among the Wednesday injured. Seems like we were just ahead of the curve on filling up the DL, other teams are catching up.

21. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:38 PM

NL.. the Dodgers not only got swept, but they DID NOT SCORE A RUN the ENTIRE Series. So we have little to complain about. Can you imagine Dodger fans right now???

22. peric - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I'm surprised Harper didn't get a seat instead of LaRoche given his injury and its apparent its affecting his play?

23. baseballswami - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:45 PM

This has been the most inconsistent season I have ever seen . The Dodgers were dominant and now they have gotten swept by the Giants and have not scored one run. Granted, Kemp is out – but they do have other players. Miami dominates in May and flops in June. Plus, mlb is making Dr. Andrews a zillionaire this season. Not enough bubble wrap. Alternate universe – Tommy Milone has 8 wins, Jordan Zimmermann has 3. At least our closer doesn't do somersaults.

24. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM

NJ–borrowed your comments for a post on Hardball Talk, can't believer there is a guy over there trying to defend Nyjer.

25. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Remember when the Dodgers were running away with the NL West and were on top of the "power rankings"?coolstandings ‏@coolstandingsSF 3, LA 0. #Dodgers playoff chances now 61.5%.SF 3, LA 0. #Giants playoff chances now 61.9%.

26. sm13 - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Just watched the video of the Nyjer incident — I am so glad we're rid of him.

27. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I wouldn't be a bit suprised if the Brewers decide that they've had their fill of Morgan.

28. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Here is the weird thing about Nyjer. Just saw the replay on MLB Tonight and they were laughing about it (the fan shove). Said it was no big deal.

29. natsfan1a - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Thanks for the Giants news, MicheleS. My brother would have been very happy about that. Also, I think that Davey was a nice birthday gift from your dad. Of course, I suppose that long before that he gave you your love of baseball. We all reap the benefits of that in here everyday. :-)

30. natsfan1a - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Have to say that the sideline incident didn't look funny to me. Maybe Nyjer needs some time off to get his head on straight.Oh, er, and on a game note: Go, Z-nn, and stay hot, NATS BATS!!

31. bdrube - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I just had a thought, wouldn't it be amazing if Rizzo pulled off a deal with the Brewers to bring Zack Greinke to the Nats? Greinke didn't want to come here two years ago because he wanted to play for a contender, but times have changed. Maybe a package of Corey Brown, Danny Rosenbaum and Jeff Kobernus gets him here.Then your rotation looks like this:August:StrasburgGreinkeGonzalezZimmermannJacksonSeptember:GreinkeGonzalezZimmermannJacksonDetwilerPlayoffs:GreinkeGonzalezZimmermannJacksonOf course, it would be even more amazing if we got Greinke to sign for a long term extension. We'd have the best rotation in baseball for YEARS.

32. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:18 PM

News on Adam…Amanda Comak‏@acomakIt's just a day off for Adam LaRoche, Davey said. He knew in advance. Davey told him to pick today or tomorrow. He picked today.

33. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:19 PM

34. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Ummm Utley just hit a HR in his first AB of the season

35. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:20 PM

And the Fish are down 2-0 but did throw out Freese at the plate to end the top of the first.

36. baseballswami - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Not sure it's a good idea to rest ALR when Jordan is starting.

37. natsfan1a - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I stumbled across some footage from the establishment in question.MicheleS said…And I love Adam…Amanda Comak‏@acomakThat is the real reason, but LaRoche told me to write that he & Davey got into a bar fight last night and Davey's benching him because of it June 27, 2012 7:19 PM

38. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM

somebody said LaRoche is supposedly injured. Amanda must have bad info.

39. NatsNut - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM

LOL, are you kidding? What happened to 10-15 days to get his timing back? What about his "spring training?" I hope we didn't take his time off for granted. MicheleS said…Ummm Utley just hit a HR in his first AB of the season

40. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM

NJ, if you are referring to me on saying ALR was injured, I have ZERO inside info, just observation. Could be just a day off on a long (HOT) road trip.

41. natsfan1a - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Are you going by her Twitter feed on that? Because it looks like she was re-tweeting a sports litigation specialist and it was that specialist's opinion rather than hers, fwiw.NatsLady said… NJ- I took a trip to the bathroom and missed #3. He may be in serious hot water on #4. CBSSports things he should get a fine and suspension, Amanda thinks he could get sued. June 27, 2012 6:27 PM

42. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:39 PM

McHenry puts the Bucco's in the lead over the Phils with a 3 run jack.

43. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM

not you NL on the LaRoche "supposed" injury. Someone else.

44. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Harold Reynolds Preaching it on Rehab Assingments!! I hope the Nats are listening!! Harold – DO NOT RUSH BACK. Get you self baseball ready!!!

45. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Yes, I just looked at Amanda's Twitter. I thought the shove was poor judgement and fine/suspension-worthy, and if a fan did it to a player they would be escorted right out of the park to Night Court, but I don't see how a lawsuit has merit.I'm no lawyer, though. I could ask my Mother, who is, but she's recovering from surgery right…:)

46. slidell2 - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:44 PM

How many of the Washington press corps are in Denver? I know Amanda is.

47. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Watch this catch. Trout can't believe himself!Trout catch

48. djinFl. - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Loved the footage 1a

49. Old Wino - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Natslady, but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

50. MicheleS - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Slidell.. All the Beats are in Denver, except our Fearless Leader (DARN YOU CSN!), but that's okay, Mark will wade in later on the board after BabyZ goes to bed.

51. NatsLady - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:50 PM

OW–sorry, didn't get that one!?

52. JayB - Jun 27, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Rizzo did the right thing getting rid of Morgan….I said he would be out of MLB by All star break this past winter…..could be right…it is just getting started with Brews

53. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:10 AM

It was fine when their team was doing well. When you're not, it just gets old.

54. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:12 AM

55. Old Wino - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:14 AM

It's the punch line in Holiday Inn commercials. You said u weren't a Lawyer. If u stay at a Holiday Inn, you're so rested that u can be anthing the next day, like a lawyer. Just a stupid joke between pre-game beers.

56. m20832 - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:16 AM

So Edwar Cabrera is a strike out machine in AA ball. The question is: Will he be Sandy Koufax or Edwar Cabrera?Methinks he'll be E. Cabrera. And will only pitch four innings, if that after he gets shelled by the boys!GYFNG!!!

57. m20832 - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:20 AM

1A.. I actually made my Mom take me to that movie when it came out. (Being Rated R – I was a wee babe and couldn't sneek in). I loved it said it was a classic, she hated it and to this day still reminds me that I dragged her to that movie. Good Times!!! June 27, 2012 8:12 PM MicheleS, what a Great movie!! I was a little older and went in with a bunch of friends under the influence of hemp. Laughed my patootie off!"We're on a mission from God"! Oh the memories.

58. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM

m20832.. who is your pick to click tonight? I am thinking it's going to be Solano

59. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:25 AM

NatsLady, if Harper had made a catch and thumped his chest, there would be a gazillion negative tweets about him by now.anyways, that was an awesome catch.

60. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Wow.. O's getting pounded by the Angels. and LOTS of empty seats in Baltimore Also good to see Nats gear in Denver.

61. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Don't help this Cabrera kid!

62. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Nice Harp!!!!

63. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM

64. Schumatrix - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Can we keep giving Zim shots?

65. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Wow, what a play laying out by TyMo!!!

66. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Yes Jane, there is a bit of prentending/deceitin baseball. No crying, but deceit, yes.

67. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Nats did catch a break on that Zim to TyMo play. Its about time the Nats got one.

68. fresh2death1997 - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Idk about you guys, but i wanna see Lombo play. Give Desi a day off!

69. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:03 AM

JaneB said… That guy PRETENDED like he had the ball to tag The Kid. That doesn't seem right to me. June 27, 2012 8:46 PM _____________________________pRAA would call that Little League. Deceit happens.

70. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?…

71. Schumatrix - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:07 AM

TYMO!!!

72. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:08 AM

TyMo!!!!

73. Mr. Doggett - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:08 AM

WOW…Tyler is unbenchable at this point. Must be in the lineup every day….

74. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Swift, showing our age with that one Mare

75. Schumatrix - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Mr. Doggett said…WOW…Tyler is unbenchable at this point. Must be in the lineup every day…._______________________________I agree. There's no point benching him against righties when Rick Ankiel or Roger Bernadina are the alternatives.

76. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Lol..No Doubt, But we're going to make it after all..

77. Schumatrix - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Looks like this guy Edwar is a scrub.

78. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Swift! You have fallen from best post of last night.You have to be a Twins fan to go down that road.

79. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:23 AM

The best news is that those who feel there is to much sugar in red koolaid, have left for the night.

80. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:24 AM

That takes the "in the neighborhood" doubleplay to a whole new interpretation. The homeplate ump isn't helping as I thought the 3-2 take should have been a strikeout anyway.When you are winning and in 1st place, those are the breaks you get. We saw it for years with the Philthies.

81. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I'm all for the neighborhood play…but Danny was in a different zip code from 2nd base on that! Ryan should lucky he doesn't have 2 throwing errors already…Must be the altitude

82. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:24 AM

FP, thanks for shoutout on what I just wrote.

83. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Whoa!! Angel is in fact: The worst umpire in the bigs.He lets Espi get away with a neighborhood play — a pretty far reaching, distant neighborhood.

84. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:26 AM

So i go take the dogs out for the walk, TyMO hits another dinger (seriously, that boy is good) and I come back in just in time to see the "In the Neighborhood play:!And ZIMMY!!!!! I love runs!

85. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:26 AM

That was a nice smash by Zim. Last nights HR wasn't much. That was legit.

86. Mr. Doggett - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:26 AM

dang, dude! I want some Cortisone!

87. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:26 AM

FP plugged in to Gonat tonightRyan just gave the Doom and Gloom Posters another night off…The In-Game thread is becoming a happy place

88. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:26 AM

JZim getting run support. Hard to believe.

89. Schumatrix - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:27 AM

I reiterate my point above. Actually, can we give him a cortisone shot per inning?

90. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Gonat and FP thinking alike. Hilarious.

91. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:29 AM

I am with Carp. Thought Fowler robbed Desi.

92. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:29 AM

JB.. yup, Koolaid with a cortisone!AND NOW IAN!!! Hmm.. Coors field tastes good!!!

93. Smatt1001 - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:29 AM

And Desi goes yard!

94. TimDz - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Znn can't complain about the lack of run support tonight …

95. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Poor Bob Carpenter, he actually had to wait for a ball to go over the fence before he could say "home run" on that one..

96. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Cabrera is not Koufax! Davey with a sigh of relief.I hope FP quotes that!

97. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Earlier I said:That guy PRETENDED like he had the ball to tag The Kid. That doesn't seem right to me. You notice me NOT complaining about the second baseman who pretended to get the runner out at second, when really he was just in the same area code, as FP and Carp said. Teehee.

98. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Swift.. have to beat of the doom and gloomers. Must start early in the thread. It worked last night.

99. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Jeez…the ball flys up there esp. when it is this hot. (hot air is less dense like some posters).What a game.

100. Smatt1001 - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:32 AM

and I was hoping we'd see Cabrera at least until the end of the inning. At 65 pitches he only had another 10 pitches on his pitch count….

101. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Desi really did creep back into a legit All Star pick. If he can get that BA into .280's, he will look better to LaRussa.

102. Drew - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Last night is looking more like a breakthrough and less like a blip.

103. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Good job Michele, you (and the Nats offense) have taken a chunk out of the Legion of Doom posters on the in-game…But they'll be back, we may need you to give us a Bat-Signal or something just in case

104. GYFNG - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Hey guys, is there any way to watch online?

105. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Ryan overthrew yesterday, too. If it's not the altitude, it's the cortisone.

106. fresh2death1997 - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM

What are we going to do with Moore??

107. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:36 AM

TyMo. I'm blown away.

108. Schumatrix - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Damn, Moore's the real deal.

109. fresh2death1997 - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:36 AM

@GYFNG look up first row sports in google.

110. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:36 AM

GYFNG.. pay Bud Selig the fee for MLB.tv.. I think it might be on sale right now for under $100

111. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Here I thought our most exciting rookie was the Kid. I'm loving TyMo, too. Though the Kid's uni is dirtier.

112. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:37 AM

fresh2death1997 said… What are we going to do with Moore?? June 27, 2012 9:35 PM _____________________________Well let's see, Nats control him for the rest of this season plus 6 more years.What's the problem?

113. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:37 AM

GYFNG==> Where are you? If you are not in Denver or here you can watch on MLB.tv… otherwise…long story.

114. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Hey.. My Pick to Click Happened (it was close to being out too!!!) 2 RBIS for baby pudge!!!

115. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Solano is not afraid of working the count. That is exactly what you all were discussing this morning.

116. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Man, any chance the Nats have a guy named Bob Newhart in the minors somewhere?? These 70s sitcom guys are great…

117. Smatt1001 - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I now retract my previous statement about wanting to see more Cabrera, the Nats seem to be taking care of Reynolds just fine.

118. Schumatrix - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Can we get an XBH from Mr. Zimmermann now?

119. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I want to feel bad for the Rockies because we have been there so many times. But im only happy for us. Maybe when we get to 15 runs, I'll have more sympathy.Maybe. I mean the entire Colorado team hasn't even come to bat yet!

120. Schumatrix - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Could this Rockes staff be worse than the Nats' staff circa '07?

121. Jim Webster - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:41 AM

MLB needs a mercy rule. I'm liking Coors Field even better than Coors Light.

122. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:42 AM

That is a productive out for the pitcher. Take notice because Stras and JZim are for real with the bat!

123. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I only feel bad for Bernadina or did he get in the action yet ?

124. phil dunton - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I like Solano. We may have a log jam behind the plate when Ramos comes back next year. I think Dr. Davey may have given ever hitter a shot of HGH!

125. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I like FP, but at some point he needs to learn how to pronounce LaRoche…

126. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:45 AM

MLB.tv is great if you are outside the area but otherwise, not so much.I have tried firstrowports before and failed. no idea how it works.very glad to see all those runs on the board for us.

127. GYFNG - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Thanks for answering, yall. I should have realized it can be purchased for a pretty penny. I'll stick with the phone app that gets the radio feed, that was a much better deal.Please resume unsuccessfully trying to not get too excited over TyMo, I know I am.

128. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Wrong time to throw a guy who can't catch up to your fastball a slow curve.

129. slidell2 - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Jeremy Guthrie will apparently be in to pitch the 4th for the Rockies. The HR derby may not be over.

130. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:52 AM

7 run lead, Jordan is correctly just throwing strikes…I'd rather see 4 hits than 1 walk at this point

131. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:56 AM

A bloop double by Harp. That looks good in the boxscore like a ball off of the outfield wall.

132. Catcher50 - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:57 AM

@NatsfanJim…Angel Hernandez may not be the worst umpire in MLB. IMO Joe West gets that honor. For some years, West & Hernandez were together and made up the worst crew in MLB. They split them up and now they have made a classic umpiring mistake (never do a make-up call, it turns one bad call into two) and made one worst crew in baseball into two worst crews in baseball.

133. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Nick Johnson with a wrist injury.

134. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:58 AM

This is like a softball game…burboun and cortisone for all

135. Schumatrix - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Zim, where have you been, sir??

136. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Ryan understanding why Helton has never left the Rockies…he's a Hall of Fame player in this yard

137. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Harper, Moore…could be bash bros for a long time

138. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:00 AM

That's the Zim swing!

139. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:00 AM

O's lose a squeaker to the Angels, 13-1

140. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Harper needs a day off. The kid's good, but he looks tired. And Swift Eagle, how is FP saying it? I thought it was supposed to be "La-ROSHE" (as opposed to "La-Roach").

141. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:06 AM

FP says La-Roach…It shouldn't bother me as much as it does, fingernails on the chalkboard type of thing..

142. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Scoreboarding:Pirates 7, Phillies 7, top 8Mets 17, Cubs 1, FBarves 6, DBax 4, FMiami 5, Cards 3, F

143. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Umm.. not counting chickens or anything, but just saying.. All copyrights/trademarks are off tonight.. cause I was dragging this morning (getting up early to beat DC traffic STINKS) and i have to do it again tomorrow. Thank god tomorrow is a 3 pm start!

144. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Swift, I know how you feel. Misspelling Nyjer's name still bugs me.

145. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Michele, you could assign rights for one night. Just sayin.

146. rogieshan - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Comforting to know I'll be getting a second straight good night of sleep.

147. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Tailor made liner doubleplay to Morse turns into an error.

148. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:12 AM

6-4-3 doubleplay causes no damage. Wooooo

149. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Sofa, I could but I like to give it out the masses – (plus the way this game is going, I don't know who will be up tonight) Although those DP's we keep turning are a good thing.

150. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Twitter: ‏@JonHeymanCBS #phillies aren't fully committed to buying or selling yet but it's obvious why they do have their eye out for relievers now

151. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Michele, I only filled in for you last night after offering the honor to the room…someone else should get the chance tonight

152. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:13 AM

11-7 Pittsburg to of 8th

153. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Why is the home game v the Giants next Tue at 6:35? Fireworks after? Strange start time

154. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Swift.. 7/4 game is at 11:05 AM!!!

155. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Ever been on the Metro at night on July 4?? No way they could have a night game! Yikes

156. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Now I see why people say JZim can be a Gold Glove guy.

157. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Yup.. IT's the fireworks on the 7/3 game

158. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Swift, I figure they figure nobody is at work that day anyway, and they want to get all the in-game tributes in without going too late.

159. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:24 AM

When, oh when, is Rizzo going to fire the umpiring coach? These guys are awful.

160. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:26 AM

July 4?? I'm already hearing fireworks as of last night, in my neighborhood. At least I think it's fireworks.

161. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Makes sense, especially with the 11:05 am start the next day…that's 8:05am for the Giants

162. Steady Eddie - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Eagle — You wanna talk strange start times? Look at July 4 — I haven't been to an 11 am ball game since my daughter's Saturday morning softball league.(It's actually not that strange with the half million people who start heading to the Mall in the late afternoon. What's really weird is that they open the gates at 8:30 am.)

163. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Haha..maybe they'll have concessions serving breakfast food…I've been craving waffles anyway…

164. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:31 AM

In less than 3 1/2 games, Zim has raised his slugging percentage from .305 to .356. That's 51 points. And that, ladies and germs, is why Davey waits forever to rest some guys.Harper, OTOH, really does need a day off pretty badly.

165. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Would be a perfect time to insert Bernadina in CF. I don't get it.

166. Nats212 - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Bam Bam the new double play machine?

167. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:32 AM

maybe they'll have concessions serving breakfast foodOOOOH, that's an excellent idea!

168. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:33 AM

So will they be serving Red Eyes at the red porch on the 4th at 8:30am.Yikes!

169. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Swift, Marvin's has the best waffles and fried chicken. If only they could get those to the park.

170. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Haha, now that's a great post DJ….Forget cortisone shots, a Red Eye at 8am will make you clock tick all day…

171. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Philthies lost

172. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Oh god.. A CMW sighting.. I am not sure how I feel about that in Coors Field

173. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:41 AM

So speaking of cortizone, how is it that cortisol is legal, when most other steroids that temporarily promote healing and enhance performance are banned?

174. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Ian IS an AllStar! More Ian Desmond cookies for the dogs!

175. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:44 AM

I believe it's because the cortisone they inject stays at the site if the injury, and doesn't get metabolized, Soul Sofa.

176. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Someone tell NatsJack that everyone using the barrel tonight…Stras and Gio are sure bets for KC…Clip, Adam, and Ian are on the bubble

177. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:46 AM

MichelleS called it on BabyPudge! Career high!

178. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Solano batting .421 Ted Williams must be worried.

179. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Doesn't get metabolized? I don't understand that.

180. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Michele, your boy Solano can put the H in is first name wherever he wants if he keeps hitting like this…

181. waddu eye no - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:50 AM

i like this

182. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Sofa, I'm not a doctor and never played one on TV, domi don't have the right vocabulary to explain this. But I believe that the shot works at the site of the injury, to reduce inflammation, and it doesn't get dispersed through out the blood stream into other organs for a broad spectrum anti-inflammatory impact. But I'm hoping someone who knows more can explain it better.

183. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Me either, Jane, but thanks for taking a shot. So to speak.

184. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Ian! Awesome awesome play!

185. RickH - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Nice DP!

186. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Web Gem doubleplay!

187. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Ian Desmond REALLY wants to be in the All-Star Game. That's your #1 Web Gem, gotta be.

188. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:01 AM

JaneB.. Doggie needs another Ian cookie!

189. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:01 AM

It's a web gem, but the Trout catch is #1 tonight.. incredible

190. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Sofa.. Trout will get #1 tonight

191. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:02 AM

You nailed it JaneBIt is tough to hit the right spot too, see ALR last year, vs RZim this year. If you miss, you still have to wait, I think 3 months before trying a second. It also hurts, while they are searching for the spot and the while the shoot you.

192. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:02 AM

At Swift to the list of people i need to buy a beverage for…

193. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Thank you JZimm. And I'm glad you finally get a win!

194. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Well, that was a good catch, but I like Desmond's play better, personally. Trout got way up there, but guys do that all night in the NBA. He had all day to get there. Saved a home run, which is always worth bonus points, it's true.

195. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:13 AM

djInFla, you're a doctor?

196. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Oooof!

197. phil dunton - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Next DFA—WANG!

198. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:17 AM

This is looking MPHRodish.

199. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Well, HRod pitched last night, but he should be plenty rested.

200. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:20 AM

201. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Well, one good thing about Wang coming in–it gives the in-blog boo-birds something to talk about.

202. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Second webgem of the night.

203. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Swift Eagle said… Ah, CMW, the Delicate Flower, finally something for the Legion of Doom to post about tomorrow… June 27, 2012 11:20 PM ________________________________So you must know something.

204. phil dunton - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Wang defines DOOM!

205. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:26 AM

No Soul, but 4 shoulder, 2 hip and 3 knee shots later , of just straight cortisone versions, trying to avoid surgery. That was to remain a chef. The things we do to ourselves.

206. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:31 AM

11:00 p.m. — It'll get overlooked because of all the early offense tonight, but Jordan Zimmermann's seven innings of one-run ball — in that park — was an impressive feat. That's his 13th quality start in 15 tries, and he's completed at least six innings in all 15 games. Good stuff. __________________________Only by the haters. His 2.77 ERA is 11th (since Beachy won't qualify) in the NL right behind Kershaw.If you don't pay attention to W/L stats, JZim again shows the doubters that he is an Ace.

207. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:32 AM

208. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:34 AM

I know about cortizone shots and other steroids, thanks, dj. What I was wondering about is, why are they allowed when other steroids and substances that (allegedly) help you heal faster and improve performance are not allowed.

209. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Swift Eagle said… Gonat, I don't know much, but I know there are some posters on NI who are only happy when they're b*tching… June 27, 2012 11:32 PM ____________________________Don't worry. They aren't around tonight since the Nats are winning.Let's just enjoy this. JZim with a gem. TyMo and Zim and Desi and Morse were great. Web Gems all around.Some fielding errors and the relievers not good. Oh well.

210. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:37 AM

I've heard a cortisone shot was a big reason for the famous Kirk Gibson home run in the 1988 World Series…Of course, that was against the Canseco A's so they can't really complain can they?…

211. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:41 AM

I love that Gibson quote from the Costas interview in Baseball, "Tell Skip I think I can give him one good swing."

212. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Soul, I asked that about the cortisone a couple of days ago and never got an answer.

213. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Woooooo Hoooooo. TM Michele.Happy Birthday to Michele's Dad.

214. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:46 AM

I liked it better at 11-3 but I'll take the win! :-). Gnite friends.

215. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:46 AM

216. Smatt1001 - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:46 AM

And there's the win!!

217. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Soul, I do not understand why it is legal either, but it really does work when done right.Which is sort of the whole point behind performance enhancements. They work.

218. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:49 AM

There must be a special exception for cortisone, sort of like LaRoche's ADD meds…

219. PChuck - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Tonight should be the end of Wang!

220. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Haha..Guess they took 5 minutes to enjoy the win!! The Legion of Doom strikes again..

221. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Nats with best record in the NL. Unreal.http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp?tcid=mm_mlb_standings

222. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Nats with best record in the NL. Unreal.Yeah, Gonat, but they'll never sustain it. By next March they won't have any wins at all.

223. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Come on Gonat, how can you focus on something as trivial as the won-loss record??What about that iffy performance by Wang in a meaningless inning of mop up duty at Coors Field?How will the organization possibly succeed with this type of performance? I predict a chain reaction that will result in a last place finish, the team moving away (again) and the destruction of the universe…Granted, that's a worse case scenario..

224. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Russ Adams in Harrisburg PA looks really smart now. For 2 years he has been talking about Tyler Moore and nobody was listening. I thank him for his persistence.The Atlanta advanced scouts are feverishly trying to find his kryptonite.

225. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:03 AM

You all want to read some sad stuff, read the Orioles fans comments on the Nick Johnson injury article on MLB.

226. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:04 AM

OK, they just replayed Desmond's whirl-and-643. That is way better than Trout's catch!

227. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:05 AM

If Trout throws out a runner tagging from third on that catch, then, maybe.

228. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Hello all. Caught the end of the game. Wow, what an offensive show we've put on the last few days. Great to see Morse start to center on the ball. What a weapon he's going to be for the rest of the year. And I only wonder why Zim didn't get a shot a few weeks ago. Probably because that would have required him to admit he was hurting, which he didn't want to do. Have to tip my cap to peric, as hard as that is to do. I'm pretty sure he was the first to insist that Zim's shoulder was still bothering him.I'm going to guess that cortisone shots are legal because they have a legitimate clinical use for treating an injury == like taking a painkiller for a headache, or a drug to treat an illness. Cortisone reduces inflammation. PEDs are, well, performance enhancing drugs. Sure, they help the body recover from exercise so you can do more exercise and build muscle strength, but they aren't treating an injury. That's probably why Morse's blood replacement treatments were ok too. I don't think I've seen a single Zimmermann "hater", or even doubter, so I think you're slaying a straw man Gonat. Glad everyone is having such fun slapping around the haters, doubters, and complainers. But in my view this place would be pretty boring if only positive comments were allowed.

229. sjm308 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Hi Everyone:Another great win! Swift, you are quickly becoming one of my favorite posters! Between you, Wonk and Michelle I don't think the neganons stand a chance. One of my favorite negators – Phil – did chirp in with the expected Wang comment. I would just once like to hear something positive from him.Great job by Zimmnn, another great hitting clinic and lets hope Edwin can wrap this series up. We move to the Braves with Det, SS and Gio so it lines up really really well.I knew we had a great shot today as I picked up my first packs of Bowman Cards (I have completed the Topps Series 1 & II) and who do I pull but BRYCE HARPER!! Life is good and we are still 3.5 games ahead with the best record in the National League. What is there to complain about? Guess I will find out as soon as we lose another game.Go Nats!!

230. sjm308 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:21 AM

222: you are correct that there is probably not a better game to discuss then baseball. Lots of strategies, moves, technique and stats to throw around. Its just the constant "know it all" discussions where certain posters never say "whoops, my bad, I missed that one". I do like the back & forth but not when it gets mean spirited.On Cortisone, I also do not have an answer but I would point out that steroids are also used for various patients as a legitimate method of treatment. I have had several cortisone shots and they are not pleasant. someone earlier nailed it that there is no guarantee that the shot will hit the affected area. The needle is HUGE and the pain is real. I waited 4 weeks for my 2nd and our team doctor would not do a 3rd shot for another 3 months after that.

231. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Thanks sjm…Sec 222 is right, nothing wrong with a negative take and arguing about baseball is fun…but I'll never understand the Legion of Doom guys who do nothing but complain and call for coaches/GMs/players to be fired when the team is doing so well…I'll always tease them

232. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Turn on ESPN 2 for Baseball Tonight. The Nyjer Morgan incident will be discussed!

233. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:37 AM

I am with you Swift Eagle.First place on June 28th, o my goodness!

234. peric - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:42 AM

It also hurts, while they are searching for the spot and the while the shoot you.Morbidity risk is also quite high. It could damage the tissue. It seems to have worked with Zimmerman whereas with Morse and LaRoche "no bueno".

235. ehay2k - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:43 AM

So, I go on the road and the Nats' bats go crazy. Went to a sports bar to see the game, and get there in the bottom of the 4th and it's already over? Eck, how you mock me! (I must say that when I got to the bar and saw the score, I had to make sure JZ was still in the game. I thought it was very likely he fainted after the 4th run, and almost certainly after the 9th!)Ok, another sip of koolaid…So nice to see that our big bats, and a new one to boot, are heating up. Here's hoping that they keep it up. TyMo definitely impresses so far, even with the small sample size. Quite a few people have seen him in MiLB and ST that liked his swing, and from what I have seen, there's not much to dislike about his approach either. And he has just a little pop. Hope Rizzo can find a way to make sure he sticks around. Wang vs. Detwiler? meh. Not worth my time to think about our #5 guy right now. Rotation decisions become more important as Stras' shutdown date looms. But we have a wealth of pitchers. Maybe it ends up being Gorzy, or Lannan, or [insert this year's Peacock/Milone here]??? After all, depending on how many innings they let Stras pitch, we will have expanded rosters by that time. Let the season play out.So, after a disheartening loss, that's two in a row, in grand style. Still in first place, and now with hitting. Will miss tomorrow's game, but I would be just fine with missing another Nats outburst as I am with missing Nyjer's.ZING!GYFNG!

236. peric - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:47 AM

First place on June 28th, o my goodness!Best record in the National League. Third best in the majors. But there's still the 2005 albatross of collapse hurdle to overcome. That starts after the All Star break. Now, the trick is to increase the lead to 10 games … trying for 20 … and you beat NL East teams to accomplish that. And that starts happening after this series …

237. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:48 AM

Swift, I like your attitude. Teasing is a fine approach. Some of the positive folks here though tend to traffic in the same disdain and insults that some of the negative ones do. To me there's little difference. Given the huge difference that the cortisone shot made for Zim, I'd love to know why he didn't get it earlier. Did the pain in his shoulder just not seem bad enough, or was he not telling anyone about it? I just watched a replay of the Harper steal in the first inning. Someone here was complaining about the second baseman pretending that he had the ball as Harper came in to second. But he wasn't trying to fool the umpire (though Angel H., is pretty easily fooled, see the neighborhood play). Rather, he was trying to decoy Harper into staying at second rather than taking third on the throwing error. There's nothing wrong with that at all. That's heads up baseball. Someone was giving props to a Russ Adams in Harrisburg for touting TyMo. Once again, a tip of the cap to peric on that one. That guy is making it very hard for Davey to put him back on the bench. Davey is smart enough to realize that he deserves a shot against RH starters, rather than assuming he's a platoon player. I'll be happy to see TyMo instead of Lombo against RH pitchers for awhile. He's got pop!

238. peric - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:50 AM

But we have a wealth of pitchers. Maybe it ends up being Gorzy, or Lannan, or ???[insert this year's Peacock/Milone here]Looks like lefty Zach Duke at this point. He has truly earned it. And unlike Lannan he was a bonafide All Star. Yet, had no qualms about making farless than Lannan and leading the Chiefs as their ace.

239. peric - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:52 AM

And finally … not sure anyone saw Zim wince when he made the web gem play on that force out? I was fearful about the shoulder but then he was messing with the bandage on the cut he got last night between his thumb and index finger. Not sure which bothered him on the play?

240. Drew - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:55 AM

At Hagerstown, Matt Skole hits a three-run homer. He now has 18 home runs, 68 RBIs in 73 games, an on base percentage of .443 and an OPS of 1.008Skole and Goodwin are having great seasons in low A.Let's see what they can do at Potomac.

241. peric - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:58 AM

Someone was giving props to a Russ Adams in Harrisburg for touting TyMo. Once again, a tip of the cap to peric on that one. More was performing the same feats in Potomac before Harrisburg. Before Russ Adams ever saw him. Luke Erickson's biggest complaint about him was the same as with Marerro: defense. Both players have improved dramatically in that area.And Corey Brown? .300 -> 17 homers/6 triples/15 doubles. He and Carlos Rivero both extend their hitting streaks in tonight's 4-3 loss. Blown save by Erik Arneson. And I'm certain Luke Erickson will report on this tomorrow morning.

242. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Great win. Very happy but worried about today's starter, Jackson:COL Hitters AVG AB HR RBIMichael Cuddyer .625 8 1 6Jason Giambi .333 15 1 5Carlos Gonzalez .600 5 0 4Marco Scutaro .300 20 2 5Weird thing about Outman who is pitching against us is that despite his 8+ ERA, his home ERA (4.63) is better than his road ERA (12.15). But righties kill him to the tune of 25 hits and 8 walks in 15.1 innings for a 9.98 era. Let's hope for another smashing day for Espinosa, Moore, Zimmerman, Solano, and Desmond among other Nats.

243. natsfan1a - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:03 AM

244. natsfan1a - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Yay, another happy game results email, with 11 runs, and 14 hits! Atta way, Nats bats! Atta way, Z'n(n)s! (How do you like that run support, Jordan? ;-))

245. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM

apparently there is a twitter account for rally napkin: https://twitter.com/#!/rallynapkinbtw does anyone get Nationals magazine? Is it a good read?

246. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Not sure if anyone read this article: http://dailycaller.com/2012/06/15/bryce-harper-conservative-hero/

247. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Wow.. good to wake up with the final result (couldn't last beyond 8 last night). TyMO is making his case to stay. Glad that ALR and JFlo got the night off. A day of rest is a good thing – especially since we won.I celebrated the one victory yesterday, but today it's the quiet golf clap. Glad JZ got an outrageous amount of run support, let's focus on the win today and prep for the Braves this weekend.

248. natsfan1a - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Not sure what that would be, Faraz. There's the Inside Pitch, which they give away at the gate (with a new one for every homestand, I believe). There's also the program, which they sell inside the gate. It's published three times a year (April/May, June/July, August/September). I like 'em both, but I'm kind of a baseball nerd. :-)Faraz Shaikh said…btw does anyone get Nationals magazine? Is it a good read? June 28, 2012 6:18 AM

249. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Faraz Shaikh said… Not sure if anyone read this articleFS, that was discussed here when it came out a few weeks ago. Apparently the guy has been excoriated on the left and right both from several sources.

250. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM

what the heck kind of inning was that?? Jesus, Lombo and espi three bad at bats?? Lombo looks lost right now, i know he will bounce back, Espi is an automatic out batting left handed and this is where you miss Ramos

251. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Its like we are the Rockies pitching staff

252. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM

anyone get the feeling that this weird game is going to stay 10-9?

253. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM

The only bull pen guys worth a darn are Clip, Storen and Brunett, the rest are garbage

254. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM

we can not let guy at 3rd score

255. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I would assume it is Burnett and Clip from here on out?

256. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Dexter Fowler: 9/16 in this series. I love this guy.

257. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Mike Gonzalez … I don't know. Carlos may school him good.