Game 73: Nats at Rockies

Jun 27, 2012, 9:58 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
Jordan Zimmermann hopes to get plenty of run support tonight at Coors Field.

After a record-setting offensive performance last night, do the Nationals enter tonight's game with any positive momentum? Well, the old baseball adage insists that "momentum is only as good as tomorrow's starting pitcher." So who are tonight's starting pitchers?

For the Nationals, it's Jordan Zimmermann, owner of a 2.89 ERA and 12 quality starts in 14 tries this season. And for the Rockies, it's Edwar Cabrera, 24-year-old left-hander making his big-league debut after 15 starts at Class AA. We shall see how that matchup works out.

Couple of changes to Davey Johnson's lineup: Adam LaRoche (who clubbed two homers last night) gets the day off. Tyler Moore will move to first base, with Mark DeRosa starting in left field. Jhonatan Solano gets the nod behind the plate. Marco Scutaro, meanwhile, is back in Colorado's lineup two nights after getting drilled in the head by a Stephen Strasburg fastball.

As you know, I'm not in Denver for this series, but I'll try to chime in with some thoughts along the way. And as always, the comments section is open for business…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 8:40 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 84 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to CF

2B Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
RF Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Well, one good thing about Wang coming in–it gives the in-blog boo-birds something to talk about.

2. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Second webgem of the night.

3. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Swift Eagle said… Ah, CMW, the Delicate Flower, finally something for the Legion of Doom to post about tomorrow… June 27, 2012 11:20 PM ________________________________So you must know something.

4. phil dunton - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Wang defines DOOM!

5. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:26 AM

No Soul, but 4 shoulder, 2 hip and 3 knee shots later , of just straight cortisone versions, trying to avoid surgery. That was to remain a chef. The things we do to ourselves.

6. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:31 AM

11:00 p.m. — It'll get overlooked because of all the early offense tonight, but Jordan Zimmermann's seven innings of one-run ball — in that park — was an impressive feat. That's his 13th quality start in 15 tries, and he's completed at least six innings in all 15 games. Good stuff. __________________________Only by the haters. His 2.77 ERA is 11th (since Beachy won't qualify) in the NL right behind Kershaw.If you don't pay attention to W/L stats, JZim again shows the doubters that he is an Ace.

7. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:32 AM

8. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:34 AM

I know about cortizone shots and other steroids, thanks, dj. What I was wondering about is, why are they allowed when other steroids and substances that (allegedly) help you heal faster and improve performance are not allowed.

9. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Swift Eagle said… Gonat, I don't know much, but I know there are some posters on NI who are only happy when they're b*tching… June 27, 2012 11:32 PM ____________________________Don't worry. They aren't around tonight since the Nats are winning.Let's just enjoy this. JZim with a gem. TyMo and Zim and Desi and Morse were great. Web Gems all around.Some fielding errors and the relievers not good. Oh well.

10. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:37 AM

I've heard a cortisone shot was a big reason for the famous Kirk Gibson home run in the 1988 World Series…Of course, that was against the Canseco A's so they can't really complain can they?…

11. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:41 AM

I love that Gibson quote from the Costas interview in Baseball, "Tell Skip I think I can give him one good swing."

12. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Soul, I asked that about the cortisone a couple of days ago and never got an answer.

13. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Woooooo Hoooooo. TM Michele.Happy Birthday to Michele's Dad.

14. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:46 AM

I liked it better at 11-3 but I'll take the win! :-). Gnite friends.

15. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:46 AM

16. Smatt1001 - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:46 AM

And there's the win!!

17. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Soul, I do not understand why it is legal either, but it really does work when done right.Which is sort of the whole point behind performance enhancements. They work.

18. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:49 AM

There must be a special exception for cortisone, sort of like LaRoche's ADD meds…

19. PChuck - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Tonight should be the end of Wang!

20. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Haha..Guess they took 5 minutes to enjoy the win!! The Legion of Doom strikes again..

21. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Nats with best record in the NL. Unreal.http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp?tcid=mm_mlb_standings

22. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Nats with best record in the NL. Unreal.Yeah, Gonat, but they'll never sustain it. By next March they won't have any wins at all.

23. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Come on Gonat, how can you focus on something as trivial as the won-loss record??What about that iffy performance by Wang in a meaningless inning of mop up duty at Coors Field?How will the organization possibly succeed with this type of performance? I predict a chain reaction that will result in a last place finish, the team moving away (again) and the destruction of the universe…Granted, that's a worse case scenario..

24. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:00 AM

Russ Adams in Harrisburg PA looks really smart now. For 2 years he has been talking about Tyler Moore and nobody was listening. I thank him for his persistence.The Atlanta advanced scouts are feverishly trying to find his kryptonite.

25. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:03 AM

You all want to read some sad stuff, read the Orioles fans comments on the Nick Johnson injury article on MLB.

26. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:04 AM

OK, they just replayed Desmond's whirl-and-643. That is way better than Trout's catch!

27. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:05 AM

If Trout throws out a runner tagging from third on that catch, then, maybe.

28. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Hello all. Caught the end of the game. Wow, what an offensive show we've put on the last few days. Great to see Morse start to center on the ball. What a weapon he's going to be for the rest of the year. And I only wonder why Zim didn't get a shot a few weeks ago. Probably because that would have required him to admit he was hurting, which he didn't want to do. Have to tip my cap to peric, as hard as that is to do. I'm pretty sure he was the first to insist that Zim's shoulder was still bothering him.I'm going to guess that cortisone shots are legal because they have a legitimate clinical use for treating an injury == like taking a painkiller for a headache, or a drug to treat an illness. Cortisone reduces inflammation. PEDs are, well, performance enhancing drugs. Sure, they help the body recover from exercise so you can do more exercise and build muscle strength, but they aren't treating an injury. That's probably why Morse's blood replacement treatments were ok too. I don't think I've seen a single Zimmermann "hater", or even doubter, so I think you're slaying a straw man Gonat. Glad everyone is having such fun slapping around the haters, doubters, and complainers. But in my view this place would be pretty boring if only positive comments were allowed.

29. sjm308 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Hi Everyone:Another great win! Swift, you are quickly becoming one of my favorite posters! Between you, Wonk and Michelle I don't think the neganons stand a chance. One of my favorite negators – Phil – did chirp in with the expected Wang comment. I would just once like to hear something positive from him.Great job by Zimmnn, another great hitting clinic and lets hope Edwin can wrap this series up. We move to the Braves with Det, SS and Gio so it lines up really really well.I knew we had a great shot today as I picked up my first packs of Bowman Cards (I have completed the Topps Series 1 & II) and who do I pull but BRYCE HARPER!! Life is good and we are still 3.5 games ahead with the best record in the National League. What is there to complain about? Guess I will find out as soon as we lose another game.Go Nats!!

30. sjm308 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:21 AM

222: you are correct that there is probably not a better game to discuss then baseball. Lots of strategies, moves, technique and stats to throw around. Its just the constant "know it all" discussions where certain posters never say "whoops, my bad, I missed that one". I do like the back & forth but not when it gets mean spirited.On Cortisone, I also do not have an answer but I would point out that steroids are also used for various patients as a legitimate method of treatment. I have had several cortisone shots and they are not pleasant. someone earlier nailed it that there is no guarantee that the shot will hit the affected area. The needle is HUGE and the pain is real. I waited 4 weeks for my 2nd and our team doctor would not do a 3rd shot for another 3 months after that.

31. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Thanks sjm…Sec 222 is right, nothing wrong with a negative take and arguing about baseball is fun…but I'll never understand the Legion of Doom guys who do nothing but complain and call for coaches/GMs/players to be fired when the team is doing so well…I'll always tease them

32. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Turn on ESPN 2 for Baseball Tonight. The Nyjer Morgan incident will be discussed!

33. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:37 AM

I am with you Swift Eagle.First place on June 28th, o my goodness!

34. peric - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:42 AM

It also hurts, while they are searching for the spot and the while the shoot you.Morbidity risk is also quite high. It could damage the tissue. It seems to have worked with Zimmerman whereas with Morse and LaRoche "no bueno".

35. ehay2k - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:43 AM

So, I go on the road and the Nats' bats go crazy. Went to a sports bar to see the game, and get there in the bottom of the 4th and it's already over? Eck, how you mock me! (I must say that when I got to the bar and saw the score, I had to make sure JZ was still in the game. I thought it was very likely he fainted after the 4th run, and almost certainly after the 9th!)Ok, another sip of koolaid…So nice to see that our big bats, and a new one to boot, are heating up. Here's hoping that they keep it up. TyMo definitely impresses so far, even with the small sample size. Quite a few people have seen him in MiLB and ST that liked his swing, and from what I have seen, there's not much to dislike about his approach either. And he has just a little pop. Hope Rizzo can find a way to make sure he sticks around. Wang vs. Detwiler? meh. Not worth my time to think about our #5 guy right now. Rotation decisions become more important as Stras' shutdown date looms. But we have a wealth of pitchers. Maybe it ends up being Gorzy, or Lannan, or [insert this year's Peacock/Milone here]??? After all, depending on how many innings they let Stras pitch, we will have expanded rosters by that time. Let the season play out.So, after a disheartening loss, that's two in a row, in grand style. Still in first place, and now with hitting. Will miss tomorrow's game, but I would be just fine with missing another Nats outburst as I am with missing Nyjer's.ZING!GYFNG!

36. peric - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:47 AM

First place on June 28th, o my goodness!Best record in the National League. Third best in the majors. But there's still the 2005 albatross of collapse hurdle to overcome. That starts after the All Star break. Now, the trick is to increase the lead to 10 games … trying for 20 … and you beat NL East teams to accomplish that. And that starts happening after this series …

37. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:48 AM

Swift, I like your attitude. Teasing is a fine approach. Some of the positive folks here though tend to traffic in the same disdain and insults that some of the negative ones do. To me there's little difference. Given the huge difference that the cortisone shot made for Zim, I'd love to know why he didn't get it earlier. Did the pain in his shoulder just not seem bad enough, or was he not telling anyone about it? I just watched a replay of the Harper steal in the first inning. Someone here was complaining about the second baseman pretending that he had the ball as Harper came in to second. But he wasn't trying to fool the umpire (though Angel H., is pretty easily fooled, see the neighborhood play). Rather, he was trying to decoy Harper into staying at second rather than taking third on the throwing error. There's nothing wrong with that at all. That's heads up baseball. Someone was giving props to a Russ Adams in Harrisburg for touting TyMo. Once again, a tip of the cap to peric on that one. That guy is making it very hard for Davey to put him back on the bench. Davey is smart enough to realize that he deserves a shot against RH starters, rather than assuming he's a platoon player. I'll be happy to see TyMo instead of Lombo against RH pitchers for awhile. He's got pop!

38. peric - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:50 AM

But we have a wealth of pitchers. Maybe it ends up being Gorzy, or Lannan, or ???[insert this year's Peacock/Milone here]Looks like lefty Zach Duke at this point. He has truly earned it. And unlike Lannan he was a bonafide All Star. Yet, had no qualms about making farless than Lannan and leading the Chiefs as their ace.

39. peric - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:52 AM

And finally … not sure anyone saw Zim wince when he made the web gem play on that force out? I was fearful about the shoulder but then he was messing with the bandage on the cut he got last night between his thumb and index finger. Not sure which bothered him on the play?

40. Drew - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:55 AM

At Hagerstown, Matt Skole hits a three-run homer. He now has 18 home runs, 68 RBIs in 73 games, an on base percentage of .443 and an OPS of 1.008Skole and Goodwin are having great seasons in low A.Let's see what they can do at Potomac.

41. peric - Jun 28, 2012 at 4:58 AM

Someone was giving props to a Russ Adams in Harrisburg for touting TyMo. Once again, a tip of the cap to peric on that one. More was performing the same feats in Potomac before Harrisburg. Before Russ Adams ever saw him. Luke Erickson's biggest complaint about him was the same as with Marerro: defense. Both players have improved dramatically in that area.And Corey Brown? .300 -> 17 homers/6 triples/15 doubles. He and Carlos Rivero both extend their hitting streaks in tonight's 4-3 loss. Blown save by Erik Arneson. And I'm certain Luke Erickson will report on this tomorrow morning.

42. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Great win. Very happy but worried about today's starter, Jackson:COL Hitters AVG AB HR RBIMichael Cuddyer .625 8 1 6Jason Giambi .333 15 1 5Carlos Gonzalez .600 5 0 4Marco Scutaro .300 20 2 5Weird thing about Outman who is pitching against us is that despite his 8+ ERA, his home ERA (4.63) is better than his road ERA (12.15). But righties kill him to the tune of 25 hits and 8 walks in 15.1 innings for a 9.98 era. Let's hope for another smashing day for Espinosa, Moore, Zimmerman, Solano, and Desmond among other Nats.

43. natsfan1a - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:03 AM

44. natsfan1a - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Yay, another happy game results email, with 11 runs, and 14 hits! Atta way, Nats bats! Atta way, Z'n(n)s! (How do you like that run support, Jordan? ;-))

45. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM

apparently there is a twitter account for rally napkin: https://twitter.com/#!/rallynapkinbtw does anyone get Nationals magazine? Is it a good read?

46. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Not sure if anyone read this article: http://dailycaller.com/2012/06/15/bryce-harper-conservative-hero/

47. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Wow.. good to wake up with the final result (couldn't last beyond 8 last night). TyMO is making his case to stay. Glad that ALR and JFlo got the night off. A day of rest is a good thing – especially since we won.I celebrated the one victory yesterday, but today it's the quiet golf clap. Glad JZ got an outrageous amount of run support, let's focus on the win today and prep for the Braves this weekend.

48. natsfan1a - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Not sure what that would be, Faraz. There's the Inside Pitch, which they give away at the gate (with a new one for every homestand, I believe). There's also the program, which they sell inside the gate. It's published three times a year (April/May, June/July, August/September). I like 'em both, but I'm kind of a baseball nerd. :-)Faraz Shaikh said…btw does anyone get Nationals magazine? Is it a good read? June 28, 2012 6:18 AM

49. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Faraz Shaikh said… Not sure if anyone read this articleFS, that was discussed here when it came out a few weeks ago. Apparently the guy has been excoriated on the left and right both from several sources.

50. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM

what the heck kind of inning was that?? Jesus, Lombo and espi three bad at bats?? Lombo looks lost right now, i know he will bounce back, Espi is an automatic out batting left handed and this is where you miss Ramos

51. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Its like we are the Rockies pitching staff

52. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM

anyone get the feeling that this weird game is going to stay 10-9?

53. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM

The only bull pen guys worth a darn are Clip, Storen and Brunett, the rest are garbage

54. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM

we can not let guy at 3rd score

55. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I would assume it is Burnett and Clip from here on out?

56. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Dexter Fowler: 9/16 in this series. I love this guy.

57. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Mike Gonzalez … I don't know. Carlos may school him good.