Game 74: Nats at Rockies

Jun 28, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
The Nats try to win three in a row at Coors Field this afternoon.

Having thoroughly decimated the Rockies' MLB-worst pitching staff over the last two night, the Nationals today try to do it once again. And once again, they'll be facing a struggling left-hander in Josh Outman, whose name sounds a bit ironic given his 8.64 ERA entering play today.

Adam LaRoche is back after taking a day off, but red-hot Tyler Moore remains in the Nationals' lineup, shifting back to left field. Jesus Flores is back behind the plate after getting last night off.

Edwin Jackson takes the mound, looking to keep his ERA under 3.00 and to give himself a winning record for the season and for his career (he's 64-64 at the moment).

As has been the case the last three days, I'll chime in with some thoughts along the way. And since it's a day game, I'll post some instant analysis as soon as it ends as well. Enjoy the matinee…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 3:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Partly cloudy, 92 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to LF

2B Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
RF Michael Morse

1. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM

SO excited!! I can watch the entire game! On my way home now to get the TV on and watch some Ray and Johnny!GYFNG! Let's take another series!!!Pick to click.. Actually, I am going with Edwin!

2. Doc - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Let's change the Rock's pitcher's name from Outman to Routman.Nats feasted on the Rocks main course the past 2 games, now it's time for a major dessert!Another 10+ runs coming up. GooooooooooEJax, GooooooooooooooooooNats!!!!

3. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM

4. natsfan1a - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Me, too, MicheleS! I've watched replays of the late games (guess which ones) but it's not the same as real time. Go, EJ! Go, NATS BATS – stay hot!!Re. the opposing pitcher's name, maybe it will be "out" as in being yanked from the game early. :-)

5. natsfan1a - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Well done, Doc. I like "Routman" better. :-)

6. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Am in the exact opposite situation. Have students from 3 p.m. straight through until 9. Will sneak glances at the score on my phone…

7. Nats1924 - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

What is GYFNG ?

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Nats1924, GYFNG = Go You F Nats Go

9. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

OK…..for the third game in a row….BARREL UP THE FRIGGIN BALL!

10. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Thinking F = First Place. Maybe something entirely different.

11. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

NatsJack, sounds good to me! Espi is 2 for 14 in the series and really needs to get that RH bat going today to join the party!

12. JB - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM

The F has evolved in my mind:2005 = "formative"2006 = "frustrating"2007 = "failed"2010-11 = er, "freaking"2012 = "first place"

13. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Yes Ghost. But he has barreled a couple up that were right at somebody. Only guy I've ever seen that leads off right handed and should bat 8th left handed.

14. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Jimmy Rollins looks lost against A.J Burnett.

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:00 PM

JB, better answer. 2008 and 2009 are ?

16. JB - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Just looked at the most recent ASG ballots. Is it possible that the Nats will have 4 all-stars (SS, GG, Clip and the kid) without anyone appearing in the top 5 of any voted-in position?Why do I feel like MLB will intentionally have the NL not pick Harper as a reserve, since his presense on the "last man in" ballot will drive a ton of voting (for and against)?

17. JB - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Ghost,This is a family blog and I can't print that word.

18. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

NatsJack, and that's why Espi will make us scratch our heads and go, huh?Today may be the day. Espi still batting .324 RH with much of that against LH relief pitchers.

19. JB - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

The word also happens to be Paul LoDuca's middle name, in my household.

20. Knoxville Nat - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:07 PM

2008 and 2009 are unmentionable on a family friendly site such as this.

21. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

JB, you have it wrong. MLB so wants Trout and BHarper as this is about ratings. Trout is "in" and Harp's mini-slump has hurt his chances.Also much of the All Star is popularity and the rule that every team is represented.In the end I think it will be Stras, Gio and Harp.I could make a case for Stras, JZim, Gio, Clip, Harp, Desi, and LaRo.

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM

JB said… The word also happens to be Paul LoDuca's middle name, in my household.Is that "F" for fraud or the other F word as I could think of a few for him. Mitchell Report comes to mind. The guy was a joke. Catcher, Leftfield, First baseman.As Charlie once said about Nook applies to some of these decisions "What was he thinking" to whoever came up with the serious thought of signing him.

23. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I'm up for Stras, Gio and Desi…LaRosa loves Desi

24. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Harper's slump may have hurt his chances with fans who follow closely, but with the average joe or jane outside of DC has probably not gotten past the Kid stealing home. He has a good chance to get in on that "last man" vote.

25. m20832 - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:17 PM

TyMo is going to have another outstanding game today! I feel it in my bones (and there are a lot of them!).GYFNG!!!

26. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Lunch with baseball on a Thursday. Not bad at all.

27. Old Wino - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Is this compete game day? Go EJax!

28. Old Wino - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM

29. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM

NatsLady @2:14. Spot on again. You are on a roll today.

30. natsfan1a - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Seconded.jeffwx said…I'm up for Stras, Gio and Desi…LaRosa loves DesiJune 28, 2012 2:13 PM Also for JaneB and her dad (plus, her dog gets extra cookies – arf!).Old Wino said…I want Desmond to make the all stars because he was the first autograph my twin boys got.June 28, 2012 2:25 PM

31. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM

TyTanic 462 foot shot would be nice. Go TyMo!!!!

32. Tcostant - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I leave Harper for the final vote. I put LaRoche, Strasburg, Gio and Clipper in and maybe Desi (who may be hurt that Cubs need to send someon). But Clipper has to make it. He was an All-Star last year and has been lights out as a closer, any manager should want him there.

33. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Morse with a tight hammy.

34. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I never one to make predictions on games but if Edwin can start out getting ahead and by that I mean consistently getting strike 1, I expect a better game today than Jordan gave the Nats last nite.

35. m20832 - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Morse with a tight hammy. June 28, 2012 2:37 PM Yeah, according to Kilgore, Davy says Morse is going to play through hammy issues. Please for the love of God, can get healthy? Please?

36. m20832 - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM

"he" Can he get healthy,

37. Unknown - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Worried about Jackson's ERA in Coors Field.

38. Theophilus T. S. - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Maybe the hamstring accounts for a couple of the odd turns on fly balls last night.

39. CN - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I don't think Morse keeping his hitting groove is worth the risk, especially against a struggling Rockies team. Too bad LaRoche didn't take today off, so that Morse could play 1B while Bernie takes over in RF.

40. peric - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Even with the slump Harper is still hitting around .280 … that says a lot. Wonder what Harper will be like when he is full grown and Tyler Moore's age 25? The end of his current contract? Barring serious injury.Imagine an outfield that includes Harper, Goodwin, for starters? By then Werth's contract would be about up. However, the changes to the draft rules have crippled the Nat's FO strategy. They'll have to come up with another one if they continue to win. And even if they end up losing they would still be unable to pony up the money they spent last year on the draft.

41. peric - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Morse had this problem last year and had to go on the DL last year as a result.

42. Ron In Reston - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Changing positions won't help his hammy. SIT HIM and let Bernie play RF, LHP be d***ed. Remember when Flores tweaked his? Took a couple of days off and was fine. Remember when Matt Kemp tried to come back too soon from his earlier this season? Think the Dodgers, now in a tie for first place, are thinking maybe they should have given him some more time?Hamstrings are tricky things. It could just be tight now, but one wrong step and you're out for two months. And the last two games notwithstanding, our offense can ill afford to lose him for two months AGAIN.

43. UnkyD - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:06 PM

From Kilgore (talking about Desi, in the ASG: “I voted for him,” Johnson said. “I might be a little prejudiced, but he’s certainly to date had a great season. He does everything above board. I don’t know any shortstop in the league that I’d trade him for.” ———–Me? Proud…..? Yep.

44. Tcostant - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:06 PM

How bad a hitter is Jonathan Herrera if Wil Nieves hits ahead of him? I think back of Wil fondly, but come on…

45. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… TyTanic 462 foot shot would be nice. Go TyMo!!!! June 28, 2012 2:35 PM __________________________I see a marketing opportunity here.Vodka and TyTonic 462 w/ a twist.

46. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… This is going to be Edwin's chance to turn his luck around against the Rockies.Advice: pitch outside to CarGo and don't allow Fowler to get on base. Remember, don't allow Fowler to get on base.Luckily for EJax that Helton isn't the same hitter he has faced in the past. June 28, 2012 1:42 PM ______________________________He didn't hear you.

47. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM

2-2send the runner

48. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM

3-2does he finally go?

49. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM

hoo boy the rockies are a mess

50. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:23 PM

jackson just cant put scutaro away

51. A DC Wonk - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… JB, better answer. 2008 and 2009 are ?"fifth place" ?

52. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM

That went right by Zim's glove.

53. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM

good lucl with gonzalez/watch for the upper deck shot

54. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM

oh boy, looks like it is gonna be a long game for us today instead of them.

55. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM

another hit

56. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM

BLAH! I jinxed Edwin today.

57. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM

note on zimmerman: Zim is great doing his Ol'e acrobatics, just cloud cover for not being able to get in front of anything.

58. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Last prediction I make this year.

59. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM

That is not how you begin the game. Everything changes once a pest like Fowler gets on base.Steve, your key to the game was right on as usual.

60. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Zim makes more routine plays look great because he always off balance, stumbling, making awkward throws — all on plays that ought to r-o-u-t-i-n-e.Zim in a word? Overrated. In two words? WAAAy overrated.

61. Tcostant - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Not a good start, three straight hits for the Rocks.

62. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM

a little rocky mountain high pop up and its 5-0.

63. Tcostant - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Bases loaded no out, already 1-0. We need a DP!

64. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

come on Zimm, you had a double play. maybe a triple play if we were fast enough.

65. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

haha good play, Zim. covered up for your lack of play.

66. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

CarGo fell asleep at 3rd.

67. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Like I was saying: 5-0

68. Tcostant - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM

2-0 bases still jammed.

69. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

OY! that stinks! Edwin hates Coors field.. poor guy.

70. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

safe to say EJax wont sign with the rockies next year.

71. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Did Edwin come to play today?

72. Tcostant - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

My Yahoo GameChannel is slow. Now I see 5-0; yuck!

73. Joe Seamhead - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Ouch!

74. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM

hope to say we do get Grienke and can say good bye to Ejax

75. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Rockies returning favor.

76. Joe Seamhead - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Ouch!

77. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Only 3 legit pitchers on the is team for the long term, Strass, Gio and and Zim

78. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM

79. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

MicheleS, this unfortunately had nothing to do with Coors Field. Those singles and the walk are all singles and a walk in any stadium in the MLB.

80. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Mick.. Really, He has had maybe 2 bad outings this year and you are ready to ship him off? Good Lord.

81. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

who knows, maybe we can come back but we cant give up anymore runs, thanks Ejax

82. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM

mick said… Only 3 legit pitchers on the is team for the long term, Strass, Gio and and Zim June 28, 2012 3:33 PM _____________________________Come on Mick. That is just ridiculous.

83. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Jackson is Very Legit!!! It's just the Rockies turn to circle the bases. Bad inning or not, Jackson is a very good, quality pitcher.

84. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I didn't see RZ's out of CarGo clearly. Can someone please describe what happened there? was the ball hit to RZ really hard or something?

85. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:36 PM

And since the Koolaid crowd has had a fun couple of days, now doubt the doom and gloomers will have their say today.I am not willing to give up yet, It's only the 1st inning.

86. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:36 PM

87. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Wow, no speed, no movement, no placement. This is a nightmare game for Jackson.

88. Jimmy - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Ok, so what is it about this park and Edwin Jackson? He's looked great just about everywhere else.

89. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Michele… let me clarify,… I think I would not do anything to lose Gio and if it means using money that the team would use on Ejax, that would be a mistake. if we can keep Ejax without over paying, fine, I agree with Peric and Gonat to pursue a Grienke rather than keep Ejax. this outing reinforces that

90. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

91. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

EJax has been a notorious bad pitcher in the 1st inning. His start in Baltimore he went 1-2-3 in the 1st and had a great start.This isn't Coors Field. This is just a pitcher not making good pitches.

92. A DC Wonk - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

NatsFanJim said… the prospect of a split with Colorado no matter how many runs scored in games 2 and 3, 'aint' very impressive.Yeah. I guess merely coming out of Colorado with the best W-L record in the NL will have to suffice.

93. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

how often does this happen? defense goes south along with the pitching.

94. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

NatsFanJim, please stop posting wrong info. Not funny!

95. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

If anything, J Zim should have have had a tough time in this park, instead he came prepared last night, what the heck did Ejax do the last 3 games, he had 3 games to prepare for the Rockies!!

96. fresh2death1997 - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I think all these guys have trouble if they can't have a quick inning.

97. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:40 PM

A D.C Wonk: what you stated is referred to as a Non-Sequitur.I pleased though that you think splitting with Rocks is a good thing. haha

98. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I am bothered by Ejax mental preparation for this game. He had 3 games to watch these hitters and he came out flat and clueless.

99. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM

And what wrong information have I posted, Shafik?

100. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM

agree with Nats fan that a split against a very very bad team is not good.

101. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Unfortunately pitching records are cumulative and don't allow you to remove your worst start. I take Steve's 3 keys to the game which he said EJax had to do:1. Keep Fowler off base2. Keep Fowler off base3. Pitch CarGo on the outside

102. SCNatsFan - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I hate to say it but I've been waiting for the occasional game Jackson implodes. Hopefully the offense stays on track so something positive comes out of this game. And, on a bright note, have to think Wang will be safe to pitch today.

103. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Jackson never missed a bat till Fowlers 2 AB.

104. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM

"an outman homerun now turns this game into a laugher before 2 outs are recorded."

105. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

only need to get 1-2 runs per inning, there is no 5 run at bat, a little at a time here

106. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

OK, so I just got here. Criminy, I can't leave you people alone for one inning??

107. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM

anyways, the game isn't over yet so tecnically no split yet. we can make it 3 in a row. it is not like cy young is pitching at the other end.

108. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Shafik: an Outman homerun at that time with two on would indeed have made the game a laugher. ???? Just post and don't worry so much about others, Shafeek.

109. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Haha…The Legion of Doom has returned! Can't wait to see the posts today…Another inning like that and they'll want the team to fold

110. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:45 PM

We could score double digits again.

111. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:45 PM

so I guess our offense decided to take a game off

112. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

horrible at bat for Morse

113. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

The vibe isnt there, though. Lots of weak swings: let's call them Monday Night swings.

114. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Gonat, like I say, I'm not a genius, I do my homework. It also doesn't take a genius to make the observation after the fact.

115. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM

we are facing a pitcher with an 8.00 ERA and it looks lie he may pitch the game of his life. I think the Nats came in today with a lack of respect towards the Rockies and they are paying for it.

116. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Junky lefties who throw in the dirt gives Nats fits. Look at LaRoche: the ball bounced in front of the plate — he swings — and ADD's the dropped third strike.

117. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM

so who wants to play baseball today boys?

118. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Give it time, Mick. This IS Coors Field

119. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Why any pitcher throws any National a ball that cuts the plate is beyond me.

120. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:49 PM

This would be a good time for Davey to kick some ass in the dugout, that would at least light a fire under them

121. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:50 PM

NatsfanJim… I could see us scoring 7-8 if they get their focus back

122. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM

What's the deal with people getting snarky so fast? He had a bad inning. It happens. It happens TO us and it happens FOR us. Last night, it was FOR us. It doesn't make EJax a bad pitcher, or a lazy pitcher or an Unobservant pitcher. He is just having a bad day. Send him good vibes for the next innings, how 'bout?

123. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Steve, good point.

124. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Faraz – no one ever answered you on the RZ trick play. He booted the ball a little, pretended to throw it and caught the runner off base rounding third and tagged him for the out. It worked. Nothing else is working , but that worked. It is Coors, though and there is lots and lots of time left. If it takes this long for each inning, they will get to Atlanta some time next week. And they do have to face Atlanta and the Giants next.

125. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM

OK JaneB….. I'm sending good vibes… please Ejax… pitch good, lol

126. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM

SO, first inning, from Gameday:Three consecutive singles, CarGo's for an RBI. Helton walked to load the bases.Nelson hits a ground ball to Zim, where something happened. Run scores, CarGo out at home, one out. 2-0, Rox.Tyler Colvin hits a 3-run dinger. 5-0. Nieves singles, Herrera walks. Outman grounds to Desmond, but Espinosa drops the relay, no DP, just a force. Fowler strikes out.

127. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Don't worry, wait for the Nats bats to get Outman second time through.

128. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Jane, I think there are those on here who will be unhappy until they see the 162-0 version of the Nats…

129. m20832 - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I'm not gonna post in this thread due to still enjoying the last two days and don't want it to go away…

130. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Ghost… that is what i think too

131. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM

thank you swami. I just barely caught the play and wasn't 100% whether RZ had a shot at two outs.

132. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Wang pitched lasst night, if Ejax has to leave, I guess Gorzo comes in?

133. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM

NatsFanJim.. Some people only have access via this blog to some play by play (other sites are either blocked out or in serious delay), that's why Faraz was asking about the homer run post. So we try only to post what has actually happened.

134. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

R Zimm's play was old school and TEXT BOOK!

135. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Soul — I can't believe it took you so few words to recap that – seemed like an hour to watch it. He has a very high era at Coors. I am wondering if his body is very sensitive to the altitude because he was really laboring although they have been in CO for a few days now. He truly did not look good physically. We all know that's not how he rolls. Reason for concern that he was missing so far off and his velo was down. Injury?

136. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Wow. Looked like a perfect pickoff throw by Jackson. E- 1B

137. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I think there are those on here who will be unhappy until they see the 162-0 version of the Nats…Don't kid yourself, they won't be happy. They just won't have as much to [complain] about. It's a habit of thinking, they don't know how to do it the other way.

138. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM

get him otta here now….

139. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Michele: oh, that makes sense now. thanks

140. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM

You do have to wonder if the altitude is impacting him.

141. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Soul — I can't believe it took you so few words to recap that.Professional writer, closed post–don't try that at home. ; )

142. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM

mick – something is really off. The one thing that I just can't understand right now, though, is the obsession with pick off throws. In the first inning he must have thrown 25. Maybe concentrate on getting the ball over the plate. Still- for those of you who can't watch – this does not look like our EJax, afraid he is ill or injured.

143. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM

He had 3 games to watch the Rockie batters and learn from Strass, Gio and Zim. instead he comes in unprepared, its that simple. No excuse for Ejax, he simply stunk it up today.

144. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Amazing how much the thin air keeps Jackson's pitches straight as an arrow.Give Ejax some pine tar for those fingers.

145. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM

thank you Michele.I will take the outs in any form right now.another run in by nelson's double.

146. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

And we have a Gorzo sighting. i am okay with that. It can't get much worse.

147. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Me thinks the Nats crowed about their hitting prowess a bit much.

148. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

EJax wouldn't be the first pitcher to let Coors Field get in his head…First time all year he has looked like a 4th starter..He's a big boy, he'll bounce back

149. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Nats can score runs in bunches. This is far from over.

150. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

so we now will split with the worst NL team and 2nd worst team in MLB overall. I hope Ejax learns from this and comes back strong his next outing. Today, he let his team down and its all on him period.

151. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Haha…After 2 innings you're ready to declare the "hitting prowess" over….

152. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Talk about messing up the stats — bear down, Jax

153. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Jackson keeps trying to throw off-speed, and they are mostly hanging. That last one to Colvin looked like a slider that just didn't. Could be the altitude in the first inning. By the second inning, and a full trip through the lineup, you'd think he'd notice that the breaking stuff is broken. Not sure I have the stomach to go back through gameday and see what they did hit.

154. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Extra point is up and good. It is now official…John Lannan with better stats through 3 months last year than Jackson has through 3 months this year. And no, none of those hits had anything to do with Coors Field.

155. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

NatsFanJim.. If you consider 2 days crowing and the other 72 games grinding our teeth.

156. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Watching the game – this just doesn't look like an unprepared pitcher at all. If you have been watching him regularly at all, that's out of character, too. This appears to be physical – laboring, weak — I am thinking he is sensitive to the altitude or ill. I really hope they take him out, not just to stop the scoring, but because I am kind of worried about him.

157. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

let's open the floodgates on Outman.

158. Unknown - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Splitting this four game series against one of the worst teams in the majors is exactly a reason to celebrate. Someone needs to wake Davey Johnson up from his afternoon nap so he can make a pitching change.

159. Ron In Reston - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Mick, they aren't even the worst team in their division, San Diego is behind them

160. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

So if you don't have velocity, and you don't have command, and you don't have a breaking ball, what do you have? Besides a bullpen, I mean.

161. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM

will probably be up 2 and a half game going into the Braves series. That will be a true test, will Nats win 2of 3 in the series or will they leave Atlanta in 2nd place spiraling downward?

162. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Ok – time to start hitting now.

163. Unknown - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM

164. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:07 PM

haha then our teeth are ground down to the nubs — hey, let's crow some more!! Plenty of time.

165. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:07 PM

This is why I stay away from the Game posts. I don't mind the thoughtful analysis, it's the doomsday talk that is tiring.

166. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:07 PM

TyMo with another great at-bat. Who is this guy?

167. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Jesus is about due for a bomb.

168. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Wow. Nothing is proves a point like trotting out John Lannan's 2011 stats…really makes you stop and think

169. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Is it me, or do they tend to lose some intensity on getaway days? Just asking.

170. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM

171. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Unknown: Keep telling yourself: "This is Coors field; this is Coors field." No more, no less.

172. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Unknown said… There is a good reason why Edwin Jackson has pitched for about 6 teams in 6 years. June 28, 2012 4:06 PM ____________________________Please enlighten because I don't know.

173. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Come on Ghost, this is fun…The Legion of Doom is out in full force today! They'll probably be calling for the implosion of Nats Park by 6th…

174. fresh2death1997 - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM

So jackson is still gonna be in.

175. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Ghost, if it weren't for the logorrhea, I have no idea why anyone pays any attention to him. Just scroll, man. Just scroll. Or light a candle.

176. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM

baseballswami said… Where have we heard this before? The next six games will be a "true test". And it will – because the entire freaking season is one giant endurance test. Starting with today and then going on to the Braves and Giants, neither of which will be a picnic in the park. Let's go guys! June 28, 2012 4:08 PM _________________________________Every series is a battle within the war.

177. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Come on now, buck up, fans! Bright spot = Tyler Moore Wish we had access to the " was it over when…" speech. Plenty of time.

178. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Atta Boy, Jackson!!! That'll work.

179. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

… Unknown said… There is a good reason why Edwin Jackson has pitched for about 6 teams in 6 years. June 28, 2012 4:06 PM ____________________________ Please enlighten because I don't know.—————-Gonat, it's because a lot of teams are willing to part with value to get him on their side. He's valuable, one bad inning here notwithstanding.

180. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Espi: 2-15 in this series. Ugh

181. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

and yes, I know you know that.

182. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Espi still uppercuts around the pitch.

183. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Time for Lombo to get some playing time again?

184. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM

OK, here we come, here we come…

185. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Hey Hey Hey: we got the bloop, now we need the blast.harper: lay off the dirt ball sliders, will ya?

186. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:14 PM

tying a rally napkin to my ankle now…RALLY NAPKINS, everybody.

187. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:14 PM

how did harper lay off that one?

188. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Harper moves Waaaaay up in the box: Good boy.

189. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Swift, it's just reactive with stupidity. The EJax 6 team comment is case and point.

190. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Harper moves back. hmm

191. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM

blew the 93 past harp??

192. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM

wow, Bryce has the full warpaint on, the stuff that was never going to be allowed in MLB.

193. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM

FP makes good point. When you pull off, pitchers will gtive you nothing.

194. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM

"Harpe swing and a miss on what appeared to be ball four."The rookie needs to learn from the other rookie, Moore.

195. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

case in point, but nevermind.

196. SCNatsFan - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Bryce… c'mon

197. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Philthies just lost.

198. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Zim gets it done here, watch

199. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Yes Ghost, it's the stupidity that makes the In-Game thread so funny…It's like watching a new version of "Dumb and Dumber" every inning!

200. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Oh yeah. Zim gets it done.