Game 74: Nats at Rockies

Jun 28, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
The Nats try to win three in a row at Coors Field this afternoon.

Having thoroughly decimated the Rockies' MLB-worst pitching staff over the last two night, the Nationals today try to do it once again. And once again, they'll be facing a struggling left-hander in Josh Outman, whose name sounds a bit ironic given his 8.64 ERA entering play today.

Adam LaRoche is back after taking a day off, but red-hot Tyler Moore remains in the Nationals' lineup, shifting back to left field. Jesus Flores is back behind the plate after getting last night off.

Edwin Jackson takes the mound, looking to keep his ERA under 3.00 and to give himself a winning record for the season and for his career (he's 64-64 at the moment).

As has been the case the last three days, I'll chime in with some thoughts along the way. And since it's a day game, I'll post some instant analysis as soon as it ends as well. Enjoy the matinee…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 3:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Partly cloudy, 92 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to LF

2B Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
RF Michael Morse

1. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM

SO excited!! I can watch the entire game! On my way home now to get the TV on and watch some Ray and Johnny!GYFNG! Let's take another series!!!Pick to click.. Actually, I am going with Edwin!

2. Doc - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Let's change the Rock's pitcher's name from Outman to Routman.Nats feasted on the Rocks main course the past 2 games, now it's time for a major dessert!Another 10+ runs coming up. GooooooooooEJax, GooooooooooooooooooNats!!!!

3. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM

4. natsfan1a - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Me, too, MicheleS! I've watched replays of the late games (guess which ones) but it's not the same as real time. Go, EJ! Go, NATS BATS – stay hot!!Re. the opposing pitcher's name, maybe it will be "out" as in being yanked from the game early. :-)

5. natsfan1a - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Well done, Doc. I like "Routman" better. :-)

6. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Am in the exact opposite situation. Have students from 3 p.m. straight through until 9. Will sneak glances at the score on my phone…

7. Nats1924 - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

What is GYFNG ?

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Nats1924, GYFNG = Go You F Nats Go

9. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

OK…..for the third game in a row….BARREL UP THE FRIGGIN BALL!

10. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Thinking F = First Place. Maybe something entirely different.

11. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

NatsJack, sounds good to me! Espi is 2 for 14 in the series and really needs to get that RH bat going today to join the party!

12. JB - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM

The F has evolved in my mind:2005 = "formative"2006 = "frustrating"2007 = "failed"2010-11 = er, "freaking"2012 = "first place"

13. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Yes Ghost. But he has barreled a couple up that were right at somebody. Only guy I've ever seen that leads off right handed and should bat 8th left handed.

14. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Jimmy Rollins looks lost against A.J Burnett.

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:00 PM

JB, better answer. 2008 and 2009 are ?

16. JB - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Just looked at the most recent ASG ballots. Is it possible that the Nats will have 4 all-stars (SS, GG, Clip and the kid) without anyone appearing in the top 5 of any voted-in position?Why do I feel like MLB will intentionally have the NL not pick Harper as a reserve, since his presense on the "last man in" ballot will drive a ton of voting (for and against)?

17. JB - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Ghost,This is a family blog and I can't print that word.

18. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

NatsJack, and that's why Espi will make us scratch our heads and go, huh?Today may be the day. Espi still batting .324 RH with much of that against LH relief pitchers.

19. JB - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

The word also happens to be Paul LoDuca's middle name, in my household.

20. Knoxville Nat - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:07 PM

2008 and 2009 are unmentionable on a family friendly site such as this.

21. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

JB, you have it wrong. MLB so wants Trout and BHarper as this is about ratings. Trout is "in" and Harp's mini-slump has hurt his chances.Also much of the All Star is popularity and the rule that every team is represented.In the end I think it will be Stras, Gio and Harp.I could make a case for Stras, JZim, Gio, Clip, Harp, Desi, and LaRo.

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM

JB said… The word also happens to be Paul LoDuca's middle name, in my household.Is that "F" for fraud or the other F word as I could think of a few for him. Mitchell Report comes to mind. The guy was a joke. Catcher, Leftfield, First baseman.As Charlie once said about Nook applies to some of these decisions "What was he thinking" to whoever came up with the serious thought of signing him.

23. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I'm up for Stras, Gio and Desi…LaRosa loves Desi

24. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Harper's slump may have hurt his chances with fans who follow closely, but with the average joe or jane outside of DC has probably not gotten past the Kid stealing home. He has a good chance to get in on that "last man" vote.

25. m20832 - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:17 PM

TyMo is going to have another outstanding game today! I feel it in my bones (and there are a lot of them!).GYFNG!!!

26. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Lunch with baseball on a Thursday. Not bad at all.

27. Old Wino - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Is this compete game day? Go EJax!

28. Old Wino - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM

29. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM

NatsLady @2:14. Spot on again. You are on a roll today.

30. natsfan1a - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Seconded.jeffwx said…I'm up for Stras, Gio and Desi…LaRosa loves DesiJune 28, 2012 2:13 PM Also for JaneB and her dad (plus, her dog gets extra cookies – arf!).Old Wino said…I want Desmond to make the all stars because he was the first autograph my twin boys got.June 28, 2012 2:25 PM

31. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM

TyTanic 462 foot shot would be nice. Go TyMo!!!!

32. Tcostant - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I leave Harper for the final vote. I put LaRoche, Strasburg, Gio and Clipper in and maybe Desi (who may be hurt that Cubs need to send someon). But Clipper has to make it. He was an All-Star last year and has been lights out as a closer, any manager should want him there.

33. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Morse with a tight hammy.

34. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I never one to make predictions on games but if Edwin can start out getting ahead and by that I mean consistently getting strike 1, I expect a better game today than Jordan gave the Nats last nite.

35. m20832 - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Morse with a tight hammy. June 28, 2012 2:37 PM Yeah, according to Kilgore, Davy says Morse is going to play through hammy issues. Please for the love of God, can get healthy? Please?

36. m20832 - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM

"he" Can he get healthy,

37. Unknown - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Worried about Jackson's ERA in Coors Field.

38. Theophilus T. S. - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Maybe the hamstring accounts for a couple of the odd turns on fly balls last night.

39. CN - Jun 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I don't think Morse keeping his hitting groove is worth the risk, especially against a struggling Rockies team. Too bad LaRoche didn't take today off, so that Morse could play 1B while Bernie takes over in RF.

40. peric - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Even with the slump Harper is still hitting around .280 … that says a lot. Wonder what Harper will be like when he is full grown and Tyler Moore's age 25? The end of his current contract? Barring serious injury.Imagine an outfield that includes Harper, Goodwin, for starters? By then Werth's contract would be about up. However, the changes to the draft rules have crippled the Nat's FO strategy. They'll have to come up with another one if they continue to win. And even if they end up losing they would still be unable to pony up the money they spent last year on the draft.

41. peric - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Morse had this problem last year and had to go on the DL last year as a result.

42. Ron In Reston - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Changing positions won't help his hammy. SIT HIM and let Bernie play RF, LHP be d***ed. Remember when Flores tweaked his? Took a couple of days off and was fine. Remember when Matt Kemp tried to come back too soon from his earlier this season? Think the Dodgers, now in a tie for first place, are thinking maybe they should have given him some more time?Hamstrings are tricky things. It could just be tight now, but one wrong step and you're out for two months. And the last two games notwithstanding, our offense can ill afford to lose him for two months AGAIN.

43. UnkyD - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:06 PM

From Kilgore (talking about Desi, in the ASG: “I voted for him,” Johnson said. “I might be a little prejudiced, but he’s certainly to date had a great season. He does everything above board. I don’t know any shortstop in the league that I’d trade him for.” ———–Me? Proud…..? Yep.

44. Tcostant - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:06 PM

How bad a hitter is Jonathan Herrera if Wil Nieves hits ahead of him? I think back of Wil fondly, but come on…

45. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… TyTanic 462 foot shot would be nice. Go TyMo!!!! June 28, 2012 2:35 PM __________________________I see a marketing opportunity here.Vodka and TyTonic 462 w/ a twist.

46. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… This is going to be Edwin's chance to turn his luck around against the Rockies.Advice: pitch outside to CarGo and don't allow Fowler to get on base. Remember, don't allow Fowler to get on base.Luckily for EJax that Helton isn't the same hitter he has faced in the past. June 28, 2012 1:42 PM ______________________________He didn't hear you.

47. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM

2-2send the runner

48. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM

3-2does he finally go?

49. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM

hoo boy the rockies are a mess

50. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:23 PM

jackson just cant put scutaro away

51. A DC Wonk - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… JB, better answer. 2008 and 2009 are ?"fifth place" ?

52. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM

That went right by Zim's glove.

53. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM

good lucl with gonzalez/watch for the upper deck shot

54. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM

oh boy, looks like it is gonna be a long game for us today instead of them.

55. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM

another hit

56. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM

BLAH! I jinxed Edwin today.

57. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM

note on zimmerman: Zim is great doing his Ol'e acrobatics, just cloud cover for not being able to get in front of anything.

58. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Last prediction I make this year.

59. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM

That is not how you begin the game. Everything changes once a pest like Fowler gets on base.Steve, your key to the game was right on as usual.

60. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Zim makes more routine plays look great because he always off balance, stumbling, making awkward throws — all on plays that ought to r-o-u-t-i-n-e.Zim in a word? Overrated. In two words? WAAAy overrated.

61. Tcostant - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Not a good start, three straight hits for the Rocks.

62. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM

a little rocky mountain high pop up and its 5-0.

63. Tcostant - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Bases loaded no out, already 1-0. We need a DP!

64. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

come on Zimm, you had a double play. maybe a triple play if we were fast enough.

65. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

haha good play, Zim. covered up for your lack of play.

66. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

CarGo fell asleep at 3rd.

67. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Like I was saying: 5-0

68. Tcostant - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM

2-0 bases still jammed.

69. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

OY! that stinks! Edwin hates Coors field.. poor guy.

70. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

safe to say EJax wont sign with the rockies next year.

71. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Did Edwin come to play today?

72. Tcostant - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

My Yahoo GameChannel is slow. Now I see 5-0; yuck!

73. Joe Seamhead - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Ouch!

74. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM

hope to say we do get Grienke and can say good bye to Ejax

75. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Rockies returning favor.

76. Joe Seamhead - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Ouch!

77. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Only 3 legit pitchers on the is team for the long term, Strass, Gio and and Zim

78. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM

79. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

MicheleS, this unfortunately had nothing to do with Coors Field. Those singles and the walk are all singles and a walk in any stadium in the MLB.

80. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Mick.. Really, He has had maybe 2 bad outings this year and you are ready to ship him off? Good Lord.

81. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

who knows, maybe we can come back but we cant give up anymore runs, thanks Ejax

82. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM

mick said… Only 3 legit pitchers on the is team for the long term, Strass, Gio and and Zim June 28, 2012 3:33 PM _____________________________Come on Mick. That is just ridiculous.

83. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Jackson is Very Legit!!! It's just the Rockies turn to circle the bases. Bad inning or not, Jackson is a very good, quality pitcher.

84. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I didn't see RZ's out of CarGo clearly. Can someone please describe what happened there? was the ball hit to RZ really hard or something?

85. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:36 PM

And since the Koolaid crowd has had a fun couple of days, now doubt the doom and gloomers will have their say today.I am not willing to give up yet, It's only the 1st inning.

86. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:36 PM

87. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Wow, no speed, no movement, no placement. This is a nightmare game for Jackson.

88. Jimmy - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Ok, so what is it about this park and Edwin Jackson? He's looked great just about everywhere else.

89. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Michele… let me clarify,… I think I would not do anything to lose Gio and if it means using money that the team would use on Ejax, that would be a mistake. if we can keep Ejax without over paying, fine, I agree with Peric and Gonat to pursue a Grienke rather than keep Ejax. this outing reinforces that

90. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

91. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

EJax has been a notorious bad pitcher in the 1st inning. His start in Baltimore he went 1-2-3 in the 1st and had a great start.This isn't Coors Field. This is just a pitcher not making good pitches.

92. A DC Wonk - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

NatsFanJim said… the prospect of a split with Colorado no matter how many runs scored in games 2 and 3, 'aint' very impressive.Yeah. I guess merely coming out of Colorado with the best W-L record in the NL will have to suffice.

93. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

how often does this happen? defense goes south along with the pitching.

94. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

NatsFanJim, please stop posting wrong info. Not funny!

95. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

If anything, J Zim should have have had a tough time in this park, instead he came prepared last night, what the heck did Ejax do the last 3 games, he had 3 games to prepare for the Rockies!!

96. fresh2death1997 - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I think all these guys have trouble if they can't have a quick inning.

97. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:40 PM

A D.C Wonk: what you stated is referred to as a Non-Sequitur.I pleased though that you think splitting with Rocks is a good thing. haha

98. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I am bothered by Ejax mental preparation for this game. He had 3 games to watch these hitters and he came out flat and clueless.

99. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM

And what wrong information have I posted, Shafik?

100. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM

agree with Nats fan that a split against a very very bad team is not good.

101. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Unfortunately pitching records are cumulative and don't allow you to remove your worst start. I take Steve's 3 keys to the game which he said EJax had to do:1. Keep Fowler off base2. Keep Fowler off base3. Pitch CarGo on the outside

102. SCNatsFan - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I hate to say it but I've been waiting for the occasional game Jackson implodes. Hopefully the offense stays on track so something positive comes out of this game. And, on a bright note, have to think Wang will be safe to pitch today.

103. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Jackson never missed a bat till Fowlers 2 AB.

104. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM

"an outman homerun now turns this game into a laugher before 2 outs are recorded."

105. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

only need to get 1-2 runs per inning, there is no 5 run at bat, a little at a time here

106. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

OK, so I just got here. Criminy, I can't leave you people alone for one inning??

107. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM

anyways, the game isn't over yet so tecnically no split yet. we can make it 3 in a row. it is not like cy young is pitching at the other end.

108. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Shafik: an Outman homerun at that time with two on would indeed have made the game a laugher. ???? Just post and don't worry so much about others, Shafeek.

109. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Haha…The Legion of Doom has returned! Can't wait to see the posts today…Another inning like that and they'll want the team to fold

110. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:45 PM

We could score double digits again.

111. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:45 PM

so I guess our offense decided to take a game off

112. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

horrible at bat for Morse

113. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

The vibe isnt there, though. Lots of weak swings: let's call them Monday Night swings.

114. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Gonat, like I say, I'm not a genius, I do my homework. It also doesn't take a genius to make the observation after the fact.

115. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM

we are facing a pitcher with an 8.00 ERA and it looks lie he may pitch the game of his life. I think the Nats came in today with a lack of respect towards the Rockies and they are paying for it.

116. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Junky lefties who throw in the dirt gives Nats fits. Look at LaRoche: the ball bounced in front of the plate — he swings — and ADD's the dropped third strike.

117. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM

so who wants to play baseball today boys?

118. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Give it time, Mick. This IS Coors Field

119. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Why any pitcher throws any National a ball that cuts the plate is beyond me.

120. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:49 PM

This would be a good time for Davey to kick some ass in the dugout, that would at least light a fire under them

121. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:50 PM

NatsfanJim… I could see us scoring 7-8 if they get their focus back

122. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM

What's the deal with people getting snarky so fast? He had a bad inning. It happens. It happens TO us and it happens FOR us. Last night, it was FOR us. It doesn't make EJax a bad pitcher, or a lazy pitcher or an Unobservant pitcher. He is just having a bad day. Send him good vibes for the next innings, how 'bout?

123. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Steve, good point.

124. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Faraz – no one ever answered you on the RZ trick play. He booted the ball a little, pretended to throw it and caught the runner off base rounding third and tagged him for the out. It worked. Nothing else is working , but that worked. It is Coors, though and there is lots and lots of time left. If it takes this long for each inning, they will get to Atlanta some time next week. And they do have to face Atlanta and the Giants next.

125. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM

OK JaneB….. I'm sending good vibes… please Ejax… pitch good, lol

126. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM

SO, first inning, from Gameday:Three consecutive singles, CarGo's for an RBI. Helton walked to load the bases.Nelson hits a ground ball to Zim, where something happened. Run scores, CarGo out at home, one out. 2-0, Rox.Tyler Colvin hits a 3-run dinger. 5-0. Nieves singles, Herrera walks. Outman grounds to Desmond, but Espinosa drops the relay, no DP, just a force. Fowler strikes out.

127. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Don't worry, wait for the Nats bats to get Outman second time through.

128. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Jane, I think there are those on here who will be unhappy until they see the 162-0 version of the Nats…

129. m20832 - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I'm not gonna post in this thread due to still enjoying the last two days and don't want it to go away…

130. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Ghost… that is what i think too

131. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM

thank you swami. I just barely caught the play and wasn't 100% whether RZ had a shot at two outs.

132. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Wang pitched lasst night, if Ejax has to leave, I guess Gorzo comes in?

133. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM

NatsFanJim.. Some people only have access via this blog to some play by play (other sites are either blocked out or in serious delay), that's why Faraz was asking about the homer run post. So we try only to post what has actually happened.

134. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

R Zimm's play was old school and TEXT BOOK!

135. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Soul — I can't believe it took you so few words to recap that – seemed like an hour to watch it. He has a very high era at Coors. I am wondering if his body is very sensitive to the altitude because he was really laboring although they have been in CO for a few days now. He truly did not look good physically. We all know that's not how he rolls. Reason for concern that he was missing so far off and his velo was down. Injury?

136. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Wow. Looked like a perfect pickoff throw by Jackson. E- 1B

137. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I think there are those on here who will be unhappy until they see the 162-0 version of the Nats…Don't kid yourself, they won't be happy. They just won't have as much to [complain] about. It's a habit of thinking, they don't know how to do it the other way.

138. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM

get him otta here now….

139. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Michele: oh, that makes sense now. thanks

140. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM

You do have to wonder if the altitude is impacting him.

141. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Soul — I can't believe it took you so few words to recap that.Professional writer, closed post–don't try that at home. ; )

142. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM

mick – something is really off. The one thing that I just can't understand right now, though, is the obsession with pick off throws. In the first inning he must have thrown 25. Maybe concentrate on getting the ball over the plate. Still- for those of you who can't watch – this does not look like our EJax, afraid he is ill or injured.

143. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM

He had 3 games to watch the Rockie batters and learn from Strass, Gio and Zim. instead he comes in unprepared, its that simple. No excuse for Ejax, he simply stunk it up today.

144. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Amazing how much the thin air keeps Jackson's pitches straight as an arrow.Give Ejax some pine tar for those fingers.

145. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM

thank you Michele.I will take the outs in any form right now.another run in by nelson's double.

146. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

And we have a Gorzo sighting. i am okay with that. It can't get much worse.

147. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Me thinks the Nats crowed about their hitting prowess a bit much.

148. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

EJax wouldn't be the first pitcher to let Coors Field get in his head…First time all year he has looked like a 4th starter..He's a big boy, he'll bounce back

149. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Nats can score runs in bunches. This is far from over.

150. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

so we now will split with the worst NL team and 2nd worst team in MLB overall. I hope Ejax learns from this and comes back strong his next outing. Today, he let his team down and its all on him period.

151. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Haha…After 2 innings you're ready to declare the "hitting prowess" over….

152. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Talk about messing up the stats — bear down, Jax

153. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Jackson keeps trying to throw off-speed, and they are mostly hanging. That last one to Colvin looked like a slider that just didn't. Could be the altitude in the first inning. By the second inning, and a full trip through the lineup, you'd think he'd notice that the breaking stuff is broken. Not sure I have the stomach to go back through gameday and see what they did hit.

154. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Extra point is up and good. It is now official…John Lannan with better stats through 3 months last year than Jackson has through 3 months this year. And no, none of those hits had anything to do with Coors Field.

155. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

NatsFanJim.. If you consider 2 days crowing and the other 72 games grinding our teeth.

156. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Watching the game – this just doesn't look like an unprepared pitcher at all. If you have been watching him regularly at all, that's out of character, too. This appears to be physical – laboring, weak — I am thinking he is sensitive to the altitude or ill. I really hope they take him out, not just to stop the scoring, but because I am kind of worried about him.

157. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

let's open the floodgates on Outman.

158. Unknown - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Splitting this four game series against one of the worst teams in the majors is exactly a reason to celebrate. Someone needs to wake Davey Johnson up from his afternoon nap so he can make a pitching change.

159. Ron In Reston - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Mick, they aren't even the worst team in their division, San Diego is behind them

160. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM

So if you don't have velocity, and you don't have command, and you don't have a breaking ball, what do you have? Besides a bullpen, I mean.

161. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM

will probably be up 2 and a half game going into the Braves series. That will be a true test, will Nats win 2of 3 in the series or will they leave Atlanta in 2nd place spiraling downward?

162. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Ok – time to start hitting now.

163. Unknown - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM

164. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:07 PM

haha then our teeth are ground down to the nubs — hey, let's crow some more!! Plenty of time.

165. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:07 PM

This is why I stay away from the Game posts. I don't mind the thoughtful analysis, it's the doomsday talk that is tiring.

166. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:07 PM

TyMo with another great at-bat. Who is this guy?

167. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Jesus is about due for a bomb.

168. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Wow. Nothing is proves a point like trotting out John Lannan's 2011 stats…really makes you stop and think

169. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Is it me, or do they tend to lose some intensity on getaway days? Just asking.

170. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM

171. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Unknown: Keep telling yourself: "This is Coors field; this is Coors field." No more, no less.

172. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Unknown said… There is a good reason why Edwin Jackson has pitched for about 6 teams in 6 years. June 28, 2012 4:06 PM ____________________________Please enlighten because I don't know.

173. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Come on Ghost, this is fun…The Legion of Doom is out in full force today! They'll probably be calling for the implosion of Nats Park by 6th…

174. fresh2death1997 - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM

So jackson is still gonna be in.

175. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Ghost, if it weren't for the logorrhea, I have no idea why anyone pays any attention to him. Just scroll, man. Just scroll. Or light a candle.

176. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM

baseballswami said… Where have we heard this before? The next six games will be a "true test". And it will – because the entire freaking season is one giant endurance test. Starting with today and then going on to the Braves and Giants, neither of which will be a picnic in the park. Let's go guys! June 28, 2012 4:08 PM _________________________________Every series is a battle within the war.

177. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Come on now, buck up, fans! Bright spot = Tyler Moore Wish we had access to the " was it over when…" speech. Plenty of time.

178. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Atta Boy, Jackson!!! That'll work.

179. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

… Unknown said… There is a good reason why Edwin Jackson has pitched for about 6 teams in 6 years. June 28, 2012 4:06 PM ____________________________ Please enlighten because I don't know.—————-Gonat, it's because a lot of teams are willing to part with value to get him on their side. He's valuable, one bad inning here notwithstanding.

180. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Espi: 2-15 in this series. Ugh

181. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

and yes, I know you know that.

182. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Espi still uppercuts around the pitch.

183. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Time for Lombo to get some playing time again?

184. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM

OK, here we come, here we come…

185. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Hey Hey Hey: we got the bloop, now we need the blast.harper: lay off the dirt ball sliders, will ya?

186. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:14 PM

tying a rally napkin to my ankle now…RALLY NAPKINS, everybody.

187. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:14 PM

how did harper lay off that one?

188. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Harper moves Waaaaay up in the box: Good boy.

189. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Swift, it's just reactive with stupidity. The EJax 6 team comment is case and point.

190. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Harper moves back. hmm

191. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM

blew the 93 past harp??

192. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM

wow, Bryce has the full warpaint on, the stuff that was never going to be allowed in MLB.

193. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM

FP makes good point. When you pull off, pitchers will gtive you nothing.

194. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM

"Harpe swing and a miss on what appeared to be ball four."The rookie needs to learn from the other rookie, Moore.

195. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

case in point, but nevermind.

196. SCNatsFan - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Bryce… c'mon

197. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Philthies just lost.

198. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Zim gets it done here, watch

199. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Yes Ghost, it's the stupidity that makes the In-Game thread so funny…It's like watching a new version of "Dumb and Dumber" every inning!

200. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Oh yeah. Zim gets it done.

201. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Glad Zim didn't walk. Nice return single.

202. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Woohoo…talking about a football score today. a last minute field goal will win it.

203. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM

HOLY POOP WE ARE BACK IN THIS BABY!!!!

204. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Unberievable…

205. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Uh-Oh Legion of Doom!!!! What now???

206. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Go Deep Morse!!!!!!7-5 new game

207. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Mick, how you like me now?

208. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Replaced by the Bats of Goodness

209. smurff - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Now that's more like it!

210. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Don't worry, wait for the Nats bats to get Outman second time through. June 28, 2012 3:53 PM ____________________________Just wondering, do you have a crystal ball?

211. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Here we go!! Never count the Nats out.

212. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM

And SteveM, FP just quoted you.

213. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:24 PM

How bad is Coors Field. Even Carp has no idea if it's a homerun or not! Good Lord this is going to be a doozy today!!! we are inthe 3rd inning and we are over 200 posts!!!

214. Steady Eddie - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM

and all with two outs… keep the line moving Desi…

215. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Should listen to the Rockies broadcasters…Pretty dooming

216. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM

It's a pretty field though. Saw a game there last year: the vast tracks of green are a shock to the eyes when you first see it. Loyal fans, but very laid back.

217. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Gonat, I texted that to FP.TyMo led it off with that 3-2 walk. All rallies start somewhere.

218. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Hey, Edwin gets a ball to break!! good job.

219. Veronica - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Does everyone feel better now?

220. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Napkins!Just sayin.

221. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM

can we trade Wang, Espi and Tracy plus a million bucks for Fowler?

222. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Swift Eagle said… Uh-Oh Legion of Doom!!!! What now??? June 28, 2012 4:21 PM ___________________________They will all go climbing back under their rocks. My only issue with EJax is the game plan.

223. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Okay, let's tack on a couple right here.

224. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM

What's the deal? Where are the pitch-by-pitch negative posts? Where's the bench Espi? the Ejax stinks? the homage to John Lannan's first half of 2011?…You guys aren't going to let a 5 run inning at Coors Field stop you are you?

225. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM

If Dexter Fowler gets anywhere near a ball hit to the outfield, the batter needs to run the bases even if he thinks Fowler caught it. Twice now it has looked like he did, but he didn't. Rally napkin time!!

226. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Gonat, I posted Saturday the key to Edwins success. 1st inning and knowing your batters.

227. A DC Wonk - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM

NatsFanJim said… A D.C Wonk: what you stated is referred to as a Non-Sequitur.No — it's called looking at the big picture. I hope we don't split with the Rox, but if we do, the bigger picture is that the Nats are one of the best teams in baseball and have the W-L record to prove it.Every top team underperforms from time-to-time against crummy teams. That's why there are dozens of metaphors for "it's a marathon not a sprint", and that's why the top teams still lose 40% of their games.Dude — understand this: if you, say, win two series by two our of three, and then split the next 4-game series, you come up with six out of 10. That's a .600 winning percentage, and will get you 97 wins.In the meantime, those who want to dump EJax for one bad outing at the worst pitchers park in MLB — or those who assume that because the Nats were no-hit for the first two innings they won't be able to score in the best hitting part in MLB — well, those comments, along with yours are so off the wall that they straddle the border between really annoying and comical.You've been waiting for a few days for the Nats to fall behind, eh, so you can pounce? Wow.

228. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:37 PM

can we trade Wang, Espi and Tracy plus a million bucks for Fowler?Ha. Another guy who doesn't know where the wall is in his own park. I thought I liked him, but, no thanks.

229. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:37 PM

their bullpen has already pitched more than 15 innings in this series i believe.

230. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:38 PM

another ad-hominem attack by Nats Lady. What is your problem with me? or are you just a troll.My point is that I liked Fowler. Okay? When you say something — anything — intelligent about baseball .. well, that won't happen anytime soon.

231. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Beast is batting .263 now. 2 days ago there were people calling him a hack.

232. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM

meanwhile … ITALIA.

233. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM

234. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Advice to EJax, run out those bunts because if Roenicke throws to 2nd and doesn't get him they still may get you at 1st and that would be embarrassing.

235. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM

wasn't Germany like 2nd favorite or something?anyways come on danny boy!

236. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I liked Fowler, too, and was disappointed–but, not to worry, never had that type of letdown with NatsFanJim.

237. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM

It may be the altitude..but I bet it's just a mental thing…Coors Field can mess with your mind and your mechanics when your breaking balls don't move like you expect them too

238. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM

D.C. Wonk and Natslady: might be the same people.I'm a loyal fan, just like you — or more. Why do you both pile on? I dont get it. If you are two people, you are both mean spirited and have got me all wrong. I'm a pretty positive poster. Not stupidly blind you — or you two. But kindly chill out and dont pile on. It's not very nice. And don't hide behind two monikers: DC Wonk (oxymoron there?) and Natslady (who 'aint no Lady) more like P.G. Redneck who is deep into her National Boh

239. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Hooo Nice Job, Moore. Stay awake. this is the big leagues.

240. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Natsfanjim.. on fowler, hmm, didn't the Rockies demote him last season for bad play.. I thought they shipped him out for some reason.That could be why NatsLady doesn't want him. Plus we are about to get a good look at Bourn this weekend – someone Rizoo drools over (along with BJ Upton)

241. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM

another ad-hominem attack by Nats Lady. What is your problem with me? or are you just a troll.No it wasn't. She was talking about Fowler, not you, and simply disagreeing, albeit a little snarkily. Skin. Grow some.

242. Ron In Reston - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Bj Upton drools over Bourn….who knew? 😉

243. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM

244. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM

TyMo got caught napping – rookie mistake. I know the Rox have a bad record and all, but playing in that place is always an adventure. Remember last year when Nicasio broke his neck? I just seems like nothing is normal there. For all of your bashing of EJax – look at all his starts, not just his first few innings at Coors. Might not want to be so ready to call him a head case. Or your fellow posters…

245. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Jackson might be all done. Get the bullpen up.

246. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I only wish I were as smart as DC Wonk or anywhere close to it. And I never insulted anyone, I just don't think it would be a good idea to give Espi–who will be an All-Star next year, or the year after–for a guy who can't find the wall in his own park. That is laughable–to me.

247. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM

NatsFanJim, I'm genuinely sorry your feelings seem to have been hurt. They're just disagreeing with you.

248. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Okay.. good time to take him out. I really wonder if something is wrong.Umm NatsFanJim.. The only time I remember your posts was during the first O's series when the discussions got heated about Davey vs the previous manager.

249. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM

haha no my feelings don't get hurt that easily as I can dish it out pretty well if need be. But mean people fascinate me. they're usually nuts. And never fail to show it.

250. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Fowler is looking phenomenal in this series. He's currently hitting around .280, has 8 triples, and a .925 OPS. I'll take him.Yeah, and .209/.289/.372 when not at Coors. Why am I not impressed?

251. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Although … the style looks eerily familiar. Not the Danger Ranger, is he? Naaah. Not even he would be that pathetic.

252. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM

MicheleS – still excited you get to watch the whole game? hahahah A crazy one for sure. I am shocked that EJax pitched innings 2 and 3 after watching the first one. I truly think something is wrong with him physically – just does not look like himself and tried to battle. This guy is not a pansy. I will never forget that Mets game where he went 9 because the bullpen was spent. Time for everyone else to pick him up. Glad he is out, though, after the offense got it back close again. If it was a blow out maybe keep him in.

253. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Michelle: Good memory. My faith in Davey has done a 180 degree turn. This is the Davey I remember with Baltimore. I still respect Riggleman's ability to manage a game.

254. Steady Eddie - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:53 PM

NatsFanJim — project much?Michele — I recalled the same thing, including a strange fondness for that previous manager.

255. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:54 PM

haha no my feelings don't get hurt that easily as I can dish it out pretty well if need be.Well then quit whining like a little girl. Wait, that's not fair to little girls.

256. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Swami.. YUP still excitetd.. it's better than working. I am about to get on a conference call and will have to mute the TV, but will be watching!

257. Ron In Reston - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Yeesh, where have all our ptichers gone?

258. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

MicheleS said… Gonat.. considering Ejax's history at Coors, I really wonder if it is the Altitude. I know it can take some people weeks to adjust to altitude. June 28, 2012 4:39 PM __________________________________The better part of valor is discretion. Maybe EJax should have been skipped and a start to someone else.Just a thought. I know it was mentioned a few days ago.

259. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

When is Carlos Gonzalez a free agent?

260. Tcostant - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM

You get within two and then give another back – yuck! While not pitch hit for Jackson if your just gonna take him out after one batter…

261. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Very Nice, Espi

262. A DC Wonk - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM

NatsFanJim said… D.C. Wonk and Natslady: might be the same people.That would be a mighty surprise to the least a dozen people here that saw me (a guy with a big beard) and NatsLady (a petite very nice woman) at the Nats gathering a few weeks ago! (Or to the regulars here who have already met my daughter.)As for your complaint that I'm mean, that's kinda of ironic, given that you were tossing off personal insults to both me and NatsLady.

263. fresh2death1997 - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM

The Nationals have been relying on Bryce Harper in center field, but they’re still telling teams they’re looking for a long-term answer at the position, Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter).

264. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Wonk, I'm guessing Danger Boy has been driven underground. I could be wrong.

265. Steady Eddie - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Tcostant — same thing Gorzy did on Monday, giving them an insurance run first thing out.

266. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:58 PM

for which I'll apologise, if appropriate.

267. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Gonat.. I couldn't remember who suggested the switch of Ejax… good call..But we are still not out of it (if Gorzo can settle down here).

268. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Er, Wonk, thanks, but I wasn't at the gathering. We're still not the same person, though.

269. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM

That's right, Gorz; keep the ball on the ground.

270. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Well.. I have met both Wonk and NatsLady.. so Nope.. they are not the same person

271. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:00 PM

79 mph hanging slider — doh!!

272. Natslifer - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:01 PM

we're going to win this game

273. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Yeah, I had a feeling that E-Jax mighta been the problem but Gorzy wasn't the solution.

274. Old Wino - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Positive thoughts…

275. JD - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Gorzo pouring Gasoline on the fire.

276. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Those 2 runs hurt. Colvin is locked in. Wrong pitch called. That is what he hit last time for the RBI single. He hit the HR on the outside fastball.

277. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Michelle: thank you, it was a good call (haha). Ten second later, Johnson comes and makes the switch.Although, Gorzo didn't make the move advantageous.

278. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM

We get back in the game, Ejax gets a second chance and still can't get it together and of course Gorzo (Gonzo) stinks it up when you need him. This guy always gives up 1 run when he comes in relief, both those runs were his as far as I am concerned, due to his terrible wild pitch.

279. A DC Wonk - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM

NatsLady said… Er, Wonk, thanks, but I wasn't at the gathering.Whoops, right. I think it was NatsNut? (Michele, help me out here! 😉 )

280. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Storen cant get back fast enough

281. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I think we can safely say that virtually everyone who takes the time to comment on this blog is a pretty serious Nats fan. I mean, MASN viewship is up to about 50,000 households, and probably less than 50 people appear in the comments. And now that anon comments are prohibited, even more time and effort is required to participate in the discussion. So enough of the who's a more loyal fan. That's silly. Also, I've met both DCW and NL. They are decidedly not the same person. The disagreements here can get heated. If you're critical of the team you're going to get pushback, sometimes snide or even insulting. So as Sofa says, you need to have a thick skin, especially if you're not a fan of every decision Rizzo or Davey makes. But it's worth it because the conversation can be intelligent and entertaining. And that's what we're here for, right? Or is it just to spout off?

282. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

This is like watching an aluminum bat American Legion game.

283. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Gorzelanny seems to "leak" when he gets in the game. Still time, still time.

284. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I love Bryce, but he has batted like he is 19 lately

285. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Way to go with the pitch, Harper.

286. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM

ok Bryce way to go!

287. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM

A bomb is coming from Zim?

288. rogieshan - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM

fresh2 said,The Nationals have been relying on Bryce Harper in center field, but they’re still telling teams they’re looking for a long-term answer at the position, Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports ————————————————I'm convinced Denard Span will be wearing a Nats uniform before long.

289. realdealnats - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM

290. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Angel got one right

291. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Section 222 well said!!!!And Yes Wonk.. it was NatsNut

292. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Does harper realize that is massive amounts of eye black make his nose look cartoonishly big. Somebody better tell him.

293. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Napkins. That's all I'm sayin. Napkins.

294. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM

You know what I notice unfortunately is that the in-game stupidity gets more comments than the really good comments.

295. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM

TIE GAME!!! HOLY MOLY.. THIS IS AWESOME!!!

296. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM

DESMOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

297. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM

NAPKINS, BABY!!!

298. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Desi just bashed his brother-in-law. Not good for the Holidays.

299. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Time for Davey to get to the "A" bullpen.

300. Ron In Reston - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Welcome to Colorado, folks

301. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Gonat.. Thanksgiving dinner:Desi: can you pass that Napkin???

302. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Tie game. Gotta pay attention to the 7-year-old in my studio who expects me to teach her piano…

303. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Predict the total amount of runs to be scored today.Prediction 25 total runs to be scored today.

304. Ron In Reston - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I would LOVE to know why my posts keep vanishing :/ This happened the other day and then the next day, they were back in the thread where I had posted them. Very frustrating as I occasionally have something quasi-intelligent to say.

305. A DC Wonk - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Gonat said… Desi just bashed his brother-in-law.Brother-in-law? What's that about?

306. realdealnats - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Wild Game. Wild Thread.

307. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Repeat after me:Baseball is the most random of games….

308. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Roenicke is married to Desi's sister. Roenicke's father is also the Brewer's manager. There is also a famous baseball uncle or something.

309. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM

310. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Unkyd– There's our guy Ian, saving the day again.Cookies for the dogs! GYFNG!

311. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Way to hit the pitcher Gorzo…you are awesome!!!

312. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Get Gonzo out of here, who hits the opposing pitcher on 0-2?????

313. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:25 PM

314. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:25 PM

You would think at 9-9, the Nats wuld have the advantage.

315. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Gonat said… Time for Davey to get to the "A" bullpen. June 28, 2012 5:19 PM __________________________Oh boy.

316. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Wait – Gorzelanny is still in????? I thought he was done!!!!!!Oh, no – this is not good. Breathe – I need to breathe. Oh, Davey – bad, bad,bad, decision.

317. JD - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Crap pitching on both sides today.

318. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:27 PM

NatsFanJim – actually Desi's sister is married to Josh Roenicke. Get your baseball pedigrees straight, now. Not like we are in a tight game or anything…

319. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Gorzo needs to go on the DL….

320. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I really want to shake Davey Johnson right now.

321. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Gorzo is horrible

322. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Swami.. I am getting the paper bags out now.. breathe deeply!!!! Oh MY! This is just a hilarious game. (umm Gorzy STOP letting in runs!)

323. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Got it, Swami. Looking up the wrong tree!

324. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:31 PM

MIcheleS – this has to be one of the craziest Nats games ever. Ranks right up there with the game against the Cubs last summer, which I experienced in person. Livo had huge lead and blew it and we lost. This is just nutty.

325. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I did not know there was such a thing as Arena Baseball where if you can hold them to one run you have the advantage.

326. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

This is like Legion ball, lol

327. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

JD said… Crap pitching on both sides today. June 28, 2012 5:26 PM ___________________________4 seam, 2 seam, slider, and changeup. Leave the curveball in the bag and don't throw the slider twice and find a different way to pitch to Colvin.I think Solano and JZim were on the same page yesterday and Stras controls his own game.Not impressed by the pitch selection and location today.

328. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Am I missing something? Can the site manager increase the number of posts before we have to do the newer/newest thing? It is really annoying that every time the page refreshes we have to hit newer/newest. Is there no way to increase comment level? This team is not going away and comments are going to continue to increase….

329. JD - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Tough to pitch in Denver. Just shows what a great game JZIM pitched yesterday. Mick, Gorzo is not really horrible.

330. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Gorzy, don't you know you are supposed to give up exactly ONE run and then be fine after that?

331. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I went to 1 game at Coors Field and it was like watching this game! I laughed the entire time! (and thank god I didn't root for the Rockies)

332. realdealnats - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Agree with Gonat that Davey should have gone to the A Bull Pen, especially since Gorzo's been sliding a bit lately. But the important news, lest we forget, is our bats have woken up. The BP is for real, if not every single inning. Hoping the bats continue at sea level.

333. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Am I missing something? Can the site manager increase the number of posts before we have to do the newer/newest thing?Yes. No. In that order. Mark has only been doing this for two years.

334. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Lombo gone on 3 pitches. Any question he is lost? Smart money was on a trip to Syracuse and send Corey Brown.

335. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM

What am I missing? Damn. If this game ends 10-9, I am not going to be happy.

336. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Going to Atlanta for three after today, so let's keep a little bullpen for the weekend. Screw this game.

337. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Yeah, well Danny was gone on one pitch, does it all the time and probably doesn't even remember where Syracuse is.

338. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Gorzo is the dedicated long reliever to replace RH starters, especially now that Det is back in the rotation. Unless he wants to go with a bunch of one inning guys starting in the 5th inning, he pretty much had to stick with him.This is one of those games where the final is going to be 13-12 or higher. We can still win it. Sure wish I could watch, but the MLB app and the comments here are an ok substitute.swami- gee thanks for reminding me about the Livo meltdown against the Cubs. That was one of the most painful nights I've ever endured at Nats Park.

339. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM

The bullpen isn't going to win this game; the hitters will win it, or not. Weekend in Atlanta. This ain't the playoffs.

340. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Sect 222 – sorry about that. The craziness level just made me have flashbacks.

341. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM

@ William O DouglasI right click and choose refresh. It brings me back to the same spot where I was, but with the new post.

342. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM

So this inning's leaky pitcher is Mattheus. Whoever said that this should make us appreciate Jzim's outing was right. He struggled the least of any pitcher. Everyone else is all over the place. Individual batting averages are soaring this week but so are era's.

343. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Have we ever gone over 400 comments before? Wild stuff.

344. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM

LaRoche is playing inside the baseline and well off the bag. I'd be near the line and behind the runner. Comments?

345. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Right click and refresh…. Thanks…. Is that with Internet Explorer? It doesn't seem to work with Mozilla….

346. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Ryan Mattheus… He is Staying…

347. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM

348. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:47 PM

On Mozilla it's reload.

349. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:47 PM

222, yes we have, on a few occasions, in fact.

350. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Ah, Wil Nieves (who? Wil Nieves), I knew you wouldn't let us down.

351. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Rex Bros. Sounds like a furniture store.

352. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM

on any browser, F5 is the "refresh page" button. Hold down the control key to force a refresh without using the cache, but that shouldn't matter here.

353. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Thanks. Damn. Now we can't get a hit.

354. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:52 PM

And just like that, Morse gets a hit.

355. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:55 PM

But a very lonely hit. The hits needs friends.

356. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Friends for Hits. I'd LIKE that in Facebook.

357. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I hate losing one run games, although it can actually be a sign of being a good team, if you have a good record

358. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

man I missed some exciting parts.let's keep this game within reach guys.

359. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I just hate losing. I don't care what the score was.

360. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I can't believe we are still in the 7th

361. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Nice Job, Mike.

362. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Michele, I KNOW. I went to a Nats-Rox game and an American League game broke out.

363. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Looong game

364. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Throw Strikes, Gonzalez!

365. realdealnats - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Rex Bros. Sounds like a furniture store.or demolition specialists

366. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:06 PM

PHEW! Come on boys Get some HITS!!!!

367. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM

haha Thank you Todd for swinging at ball four. Bailed Gonzo's arse out of the fire.

368. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM

YES!! Let's get those bats going again!

369. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM

arse? Srsly?

370. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM

WODL, I keep two tabs open, and post in one, and refresh the other. Should work in Firefox or any other browser.Brilliant. Also, on my Macbook version of Chrome, refresh is CTRL-R.

371. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Channeling runs —

372. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Soul Possession,My Hitterish Sofa — is your name and you ask me is I'M serious? dont be an arse hole.

373. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM

222, thank you. I should have specified that's for PC boxes.

374. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Nothing like hitting the opposing pitcher to ruin good karma. With all these relievers, why does Gorzo get so many innings?

375. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Desi robbed. Someone needs to get the Nats line moving again.

376. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM

one swing, tie ball game. i know you guys can do it.

377. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Yup. That's our Danger Boy. I'm convinced.

378. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Good job, JeZeus!!

379. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Bernie let his pitch go.

380. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM

YES!!! It's a rally.

381. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Glad JFlo got a hit.. AND BERNIE FLYS down the LINE! Come on.. just another base hit and we tie this one up!!

382. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Wait, who hit the opposing pitcher?

383. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Espinosa with another clutch hit…oh wait, that never happens!!!

384. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Tell the truth: you forgot your napkins that inning, didn't you?

385. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM

A high leverage situation for Espi and he choked. That was the chance.

386. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:20 PM

He didn't choke. He popped up. It happens.

387. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:21 PM

nice play by Burnett.

388. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Very nice.

389. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Nats remain in Soul Possession of first. W/L notwithstanding, they're feeling hitterish. Sofa, well, that's just my own brilliance, which is recognized and respected the world over. You can whine like a whatnot or bask in reflected glory. Your choice.

390. JD - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Soul possession, Exactly right. Every time someone makes an out he's called a choker. If the game were that easy.

391. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I didn't realize that the Rockies even had a closer! who knew!

392. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM

If the game were that easy, I'd be hitting .414. Wait, I am hitting .414, just not at that level.

393. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

SWEEET BAM BAM!!!

394. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Bryce Harper.

395. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

NAPKIN!

396. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

AWESOME!!!

397. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

That is a laser beam! BRYCE

398. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:30 PM

he is only throwing cutters?

399. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM

haha Ask espinoza if he choked?

400. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Seriously, did any of you guys who post here ever play baseball at a level above little league?Too many here sound gimpy and wimpy — almost like blindly loyal pom pom girls.

401. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Hey.. I like my Pom Pom's so back off!Anyone want a glass of koolaid!

402. Will - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Jim – Yes. Some of us played at fairly advanced levels. Also, some of us can spell "Espinosa."

403. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Why is Clippard not in this game??? Go with your best and work from there. Terrible move by Davey.

404. phil dunton - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Nats relief pitching really shakey today.

405. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Desmond….

406. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM

And we are going to EXTRAS.. This is just an AWESOME GAME!!!

407. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Desi gets the dp!

408. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Lets play some more, it has gone so quick.And yes, I'll have some koolaid, as long as it is red.

409. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM

410. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM

MicheleS, Kardiac Kids time. Time for TyMo to be a hero again!!!!

411. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Just saw highlight of Harper's HR. He crushed that one.

412. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM

DESI!!! JaneB.. Desi cookies for the Doggie!!!

413. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM

SOMEBODY wasn't wearing their napkin!! That missed by six inches.

414. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:49 PM

how was that a strike? that looked like a foot outside on gameday.

415. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:49 PM

One foot away….

416. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Well…. Maybe 6 inches, but 6 inches and a foot are almost the same….

417. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Did I mention I love free baseball?Napkins, people, napkins….

418. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Flores needs to come through. He is so due to be the hero to get Desi in!!!!

419. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:51 PM

"Well…. Maybe 6 inches, but 6 inches and a foot are almost the same."That's what she said. But she was just being polite.

420. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM

This Wil Nieves guy is a jerk. I am glad we don't sign guys like him….

421. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Pitching coach is going to tell him all about Ankiel.

422. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Dude, I am not touching that one, lol.Come on Rick….

423. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Happy Thoughts.. Come on ANK!! Come on.. Happy Thoughts!!!

424. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Rick Ankiel will never learn. He just can't help himself.

425. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I knew that would happen.. But MORE FREE BASEBALL!

426. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Say good bye Rick…your days are numbered buddy!!!

427. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM

428. SCNatsFan - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:56 PM

You have to be impressed with Ankiel. He might just get one at bat but he continues to make an impression.

429. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Loeffler, no. I was toeing the line. That's way over.

430. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I am guessing that everyone saw that coming? A mile away? Farther than that?

431. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM

If the Rockies had any pitching at all….

432. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Are goaties still in fashion?

433. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:00 PM

This site is well on its way to being a lot of fun….

434. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM

All right people time to rally the troops! WE WILL WIN THIS GAME!

435. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM

YES, let's finish this in the top.

436. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Swami, I liked the Ankiel signing at the time, but I have to admit I have lost my faith in his pitch selection. Yes, from several thousand miles away, I knew he was getting a fastball up out of the strike zone, and he'd K on it.

437. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM

NAPKINS, Michele, napkins.And "swing at strikes."

438. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:04 PM

@ William O. Douglas LoefflerNo,No,NoFor the kids that did not what that was, it took them seconds to find outRemember kids read here

439. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Not to mention, jdinFl., that plenty of folks don't have to look that up.

440. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Espinosa back to swinging -long- for the fences when a single will do just fine here.

441. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:07 PM

This is what we keep talking about with the plan. Get on base. Stop swinging for downtown Denver.

442. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Wang is coming in.

443. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM

WHAT.. CMW.. OH GOD.. I am going to barf

444. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Henry is still on the DL.

445. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:09 PM

We're going to Atlanta, and Davey is going to burn the C bullpen, if he has to.

446. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Aaaaaah…….. That might be it.

447. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:10 PM

The O's won a game this year where they had a position player pitching. Do we having any position players who can pitch? Ankiel?

448. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Ottavino with 5 K's facing 6 batters. Oh my….

449. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:11 PM

La Roche can pitch

450. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Ankiel would be interesting as the pitcher.

451. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:12 PM

452. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Since the pitcher's spot didn't come up, Stammen can still pitch. Third inning, though? One of the things I hate about this game is that tomorrow night the team will be spent and flat-footed in Atlanta, where it's supposed to be 105 and their pitchers don't stink or stay in for only 75 pitches. Oh, and routine ground balls don't sail out of the park. This is not the ideal way to go into an important series. Does it look like Detweiler flew in ahead of the team? Does anyone see him?

453. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Oh, well.

454. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Stammen waved off Flores to throw that pitch to Herrera.

455. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Det left earlier today, so he is there.

456. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:15 PM

One lousy foot on Desmond's drive and we would be watching the after the game show….

457. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:16 PM

People named Giambi are scary.

458. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Swami, yeah, but. You would have preferred they lost in 9? Davey is saving the A pen. That's about all he can do.

459. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:17 PM

You mean Clip – isn't he the only one left?

460. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM

No swami.. CMW is left too…

461. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM

WODL, yeah. Game of inches.

462. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Looked like a Strikeout on that 2-2 pitch to Giambi. For some reason, no pitch track.

463. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:19 PM

CMW doesn't count.

464. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:21 PM

come on that was a strikeout.

465. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Man. Down to the wire….

466. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Rick Ankiel with a really nice play.

467. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM

That always fools me when they talk into their gloves….

468. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM

He did have to go a long way for that. Wind really kicking up.

469. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Stammen really taking one for the team tonight. Long, stressful outing. He has to be gassed.

470. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Sometimes I wonder if they are talking about me when they do that….

471. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Is it Strasburg's day to throw a bullpen? Just askin.

472. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Jordan needs to pinch hit in the top of the 12th

473. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Walter Johnson, former Nat, used to pitch up to four days in a row…. What an arm he must have had….

474. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Sometimes I wonder if they are talking about me when they [talk into their gloves].OK, now I'm a little creeped out.Now I'm bummed out.

475. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Stammen has had a bad week….

476. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Well that was a pooper way to end and it sucks that we lost, but it was fun and we came back from 7-0

477. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM

oh man

478. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:28 PM

And just like that. Game over. When we had Desi lead off with the double we needed someone to just do that. Bat on ball.Oh well, lets see how Davey gets them ready for the big weekend.

479. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Oh well, and you know what this means?Zero. 162 games. The Phillies won 102 games last year and we swept them the last week.Close games are like coin flips. It is all in Moneyball.

480. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I am only looking at gameday but it seems like this guy's strikezone was kinda weird.anyways, tough loss. Onto Atlanta.

481. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:29 PM

482. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I guess it's time for everybody to post the "we are still in first" comments. Use them up now guys…won't be able to say that much longer. Good teams find a way to win that game. Nats are a long way away.

483. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:30 PM

If Desmond's hit goes six inches higher, we are gloating. Denver is just a bizarre place. Curve balls don't work there.

484. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Stammen really did a great job – got within one pitch and the offense didn't produce a run after Bryce tied it up. Alternate Universe – the Nats score 10 runs and lose — Alternate Universe – the Nats pitching staff gives up 11 –huh? Doesn't seem possible, does it?

485. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:33 PM

F&I, "we" are still watching a team that is, in fact, still in first. Reality wins. Fantasy, good or bad, is just some hotel's opinion.

486. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Good times lose one run games all the time. The Nats won like 15 one run gams out of 16 in the first half in 2005 and then lost like 13 in a row. Close games in baseball are very close to random. No one knows where those bloop hits are going. That is why they play 162 games.

487. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:36 PM

New post.

488. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I predict it's an instant analysis.

489. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I'm not sure we've ever gone over 5oo posts. I think we did once.

490. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I don't remember. I remember a 400+ post game but not 500.

491. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Reality wins.That's worth remembering, actually. Reality wins, opinions swim. Can we have a macro?

492. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I will get this over 500, though, just cuz.

493. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:48 PM

you can't possibly do it by yourself.

494. m20832 - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Oh well…on to ATL. They gave it their best shot.GYFNG!!!

495. m20832 - Jun 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Go Diamondbacks!! Beat them baarves!!

496. NatsFanJim - Jun 29, 2012 at 12:05 AM

tough loss.

497. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 29, 2012 at 1:42 AM

you can't possibly do it by yourself.Well, FS, you forget I have no shame, but I'm glad to know I won't have to. THanks!

498. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 29, 2012 at 1:44 AM

and this special request goes out to the kook-ade crowd, from The ChazzCould you believe?

499. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 29, 2012 at 1:48 AM

At this typing, the Barves are tied, 2-2, in AZ, after 7. They go 3.5 back if they lose, which means we leave the a-t-l in first place no matter what if they lose. Last I looked, there was no place above that.

500. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 29, 2012 at 1:52 AM

So, were there questions we meant to answer, but didn't?