Game 74: Nats at Rockies

Jun 28, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
The Nats try to win three in a row at Coors Field this afternoon.

Having thoroughly decimated the Rockies' MLB-worst pitching staff over the last two night, the Nationals today try to do it once again. And once again, they'll be facing a struggling left-hander in Josh Outman, whose name sounds a bit ironic given his 8.64 ERA entering play today.

Adam LaRoche is back after taking a day off, but red-hot Tyler Moore remains in the Nationals' lineup, shifting back to left field. Jesus Flores is back behind the plate after getting last night off.

Edwin Jackson takes the mound, looking to keep his ERA under 3.00 and to give himself a winning record for the season and for his career (he's 64-64 at the moment).

As has been the case the last three days, I'll chime in with some thoughts along the way. And since it's a day game, I'll post some instant analysis as soon as it ends as well. Enjoy the matinee…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 3:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Partly cloudy, 92 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to LF

2B Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
RF Michael Morse

1. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Glad Zim didn't walk. Nice return single.

2. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Woohoo…talking about a football score today. a last minute field goal will win it.

3. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM

HOLY POOP WE ARE BACK IN THIS BABY!!!!

4. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Unberievable…

5. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Uh-Oh Legion of Doom!!!! What now???

6. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Go Deep Morse!!!!!!7-5 new game

7. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Mick, how you like me now?

8. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Replaced by the Bats of Goodness

9. smurff - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Now that's more like it!

10. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Ghost Of Steve M. said… Don't worry, wait for the Nats bats to get Outman second time through. June 28, 2012 3:53 PM ____________________________Just wondering, do you have a crystal ball?

11. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Here we go!! Never count the Nats out.

12. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM

And SteveM, FP just quoted you.

13. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:24 PM

How bad is Coors Field. Even Carp has no idea if it's a homerun or not! Good Lord this is going to be a doozy today!!! we are inthe 3rd inning and we are over 200 posts!!!

14. Steady Eddie - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM

and all with two outs… keep the line moving Desi…

15. jeffwx - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Should listen to the Rockies broadcasters…Pretty dooming

16. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM

It's a pretty field though. Saw a game there last year: the vast tracks of green are a shock to the eyes when you first see it. Loyal fans, but very laid back.

17. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Gonat, I texted that to FP.TyMo led it off with that 3-2 walk. All rallies start somewhere.

18. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Hey, Edwin gets a ball to break!! good job.

19. Veronica - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Does everyone feel better now?

20. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Napkins!Just sayin.

21. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM

can we trade Wang, Espi and Tracy plus a million bucks for Fowler?

22. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Swift Eagle said… Uh-Oh Legion of Doom!!!! What now??? June 28, 2012 4:21 PM ___________________________They will all go climbing back under their rocks. My only issue with EJax is the game plan.

23. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Okay, let's tack on a couple right here.

24. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM

What's the deal? Where are the pitch-by-pitch negative posts? Where's the bench Espi? the Ejax stinks? the homage to John Lannan's first half of 2011?…You guys aren't going to let a 5 run inning at Coors Field stop you are you?

25. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM

If Dexter Fowler gets anywhere near a ball hit to the outfield, the batter needs to run the bases even if he thinks Fowler caught it. Twice now it has looked like he did, but he didn't. Rally napkin time!!

26. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Gonat, I posted Saturday the key to Edwins success. 1st inning and knowing your batters.

27. A DC Wonk - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM

NatsFanJim said… A D.C Wonk: what you stated is referred to as a Non-Sequitur.No — it's called looking at the big picture. I hope we don't split with the Rox, but if we do, the bigger picture is that the Nats are one of the best teams in baseball and have the W-L record to prove it.Every top team underperforms from time-to-time against crummy teams. That's why there are dozens of metaphors for "it's a marathon not a sprint", and that's why the top teams still lose 40% of their games.Dude — understand this: if you, say, win two series by two our of three, and then split the next 4-game series, you come up with six out of 10. That's a .600 winning percentage, and will get you 97 wins.In the meantime, those who want to dump EJax for one bad outing at the worst pitchers park in MLB — or those who assume that because the Nats were no-hit for the first two innings they won't be able to score in the best hitting part in MLB — well, those comments, along with yours are so off the wall that they straddle the border between really annoying and comical.You've been waiting for a few days for the Nats to fall behind, eh, so you can pounce? Wow.

28. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:37 PM

can we trade Wang, Espi and Tracy plus a million bucks for Fowler?Ha. Another guy who doesn't know where the wall is in his own park. I thought I liked him, but, no thanks.

29. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:37 PM

their bullpen has already pitched more than 15 innings in this series i believe.

30. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:38 PM

another ad-hominem attack by Nats Lady. What is your problem with me? or are you just a troll.My point is that I liked Fowler. Okay? When you say something — anything — intelligent about baseball .. well, that won't happen anytime soon.

31. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Beast is batting .263 now. 2 days ago there were people calling him a hack.

32. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM

meanwhile … ITALIA.

33. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM

34. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Advice to EJax, run out those bunts because if Roenicke throws to 2nd and doesn't get him they still may get you at 1st and that would be embarrassing.

35. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM

wasn't Germany like 2nd favorite or something?anyways come on danny boy!

36. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I liked Fowler, too, and was disappointed–but, not to worry, never had that type of letdown with NatsFanJim.

37. Swift Eagle - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM

It may be the altitude..but I bet it's just a mental thing…Coors Field can mess with your mind and your mechanics when your breaking balls don't move like you expect them too

38. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM

D.C. Wonk and Natslady: might be the same people.I'm a loyal fan, just like you — or more. Why do you both pile on? I dont get it. If you are two people, you are both mean spirited and have got me all wrong. I'm a pretty positive poster. Not stupidly blind you — or you two. But kindly chill out and dont pile on. It's not very nice. And don't hide behind two monikers: DC Wonk (oxymoron there?) and Natslady (who 'aint no Lady) more like P.G. Redneck who is deep into her National Boh

39. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Hooo Nice Job, Moore. Stay awake. this is the big leagues.

40. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Natsfanjim.. on fowler, hmm, didn't the Rockies demote him last season for bad play.. I thought they shipped him out for some reason.That could be why NatsLady doesn't want him. Plus we are about to get a good look at Bourn this weekend – someone Rizoo drools over (along with BJ Upton)

41. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM

another ad-hominem attack by Nats Lady. What is your problem with me? or are you just a troll.No it wasn't. She was talking about Fowler, not you, and simply disagreeing, albeit a little snarkily. Skin. Grow some.

42. Ron In Reston - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Bj Upton drools over Bourn….who knew? ;)

43. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM

44. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM

TyMo got caught napping – rookie mistake. I know the Rox have a bad record and all, but playing in that place is always an adventure. Remember last year when Nicasio broke his neck? I just seems like nothing is normal there. For all of your bashing of EJax – look at all his starts, not just his first few innings at Coors. Might not want to be so ready to call him a head case. Or your fellow posters…

45. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Jackson might be all done. Get the bullpen up.

46. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I only wish I were as smart as DC Wonk or anywhere close to it. And I never insulted anyone, I just don't think it would be a good idea to give Espi–who will be an All-Star next year, or the year after–for a guy who can't find the wall in his own park. That is laughable–to me.

47. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:48 PM

NatsFanJim, I'm genuinely sorry your feelings seem to have been hurt. They're just disagreeing with you.

48. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Okay.. good time to take him out. I really wonder if something is wrong.Umm NatsFanJim.. The only time I remember your posts was during the first O's series when the discussions got heated about Davey vs the previous manager.

49. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM

haha no my feelings don't get hurt that easily as I can dish it out pretty well if need be. But mean people fascinate me. they're usually nuts. And never fail to show it.

50. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Fowler is looking phenomenal in this series. He's currently hitting around .280, has 8 triples, and a .925 OPS. I'll take him.Yeah, and .209/.289/.372 when not at Coors. Why am I not impressed?

51. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Although … the style looks eerily familiar. Not the Danger Ranger, is he? Naaah. Not even he would be that pathetic.

52. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM

MicheleS – still excited you get to watch the whole game? hahahah A crazy one for sure. I am shocked that EJax pitched innings 2 and 3 after watching the first one. I truly think something is wrong with him physically – just does not look like himself and tried to battle. This guy is not a pansy. I will never forget that Mets game where he went 9 because the bullpen was spent. Time for everyone else to pick him up. Glad he is out, though, after the offense got it back close again. If it was a blow out maybe keep him in.

53. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Michelle: Good memory. My faith in Davey has done a 180 degree turn. This is the Davey I remember with Baltimore. I still respect Riggleman's ability to manage a game.

54. Steady Eddie - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:53 PM

NatsFanJim — project much?Michele — I recalled the same thing, including a strange fondness for that previous manager.

55. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:54 PM

haha no my feelings don't get hurt that easily as I can dish it out pretty well if need be.Well then quit whining like a little girl. Wait, that's not fair to little girls.

56. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Swami.. YUP still excitetd.. it's better than working. I am about to get on a conference call and will have to mute the TV, but will be watching!

57. Ron In Reston - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Yeesh, where have all our ptichers gone?

58. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

MicheleS said… Gonat.. considering Ejax's history at Coors, I really wonder if it is the Altitude. I know it can take some people weeks to adjust to altitude. June 28, 2012 4:39 PM __________________________________The better part of valor is discretion. Maybe EJax should have been skipped and a start to someone else.Just a thought. I know it was mentioned a few days ago.

59. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

When is Carlos Gonzalez a free agent?

60. Tcostant - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM

You get within two and then give another back – yuck! While not pitch hit for Jackson if your just gonna take him out after one batter…

61. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Very Nice, Espi

62. A DC Wonk - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM

NatsFanJim said… D.C. Wonk and Natslady: might be the same people.That would be a mighty surprise to the least a dozen people here that saw me (a guy with a big beard) and NatsLady (a petite very nice woman) at the Nats gathering a few weeks ago! (Or to the regulars here who have already met my daughter.)As for your complaint that I'm mean, that's kinda of ironic, given that you were tossing off personal insults to both me and NatsLady.

63. fresh2death1997 - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM

The Nationals have been relying on Bryce Harper in center field, but they’re still telling teams they’re looking for a long-term answer at the position, Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter).

64. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Wonk, I'm guessing Danger Boy has been driven underground. I could be wrong.

65. Steady Eddie - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Tcostant — same thing Gorzy did on Monday, giving them an insurance run first thing out.

66. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:58 PM

for which I'll apologise, if appropriate.

67. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Gonat.. I couldn't remember who suggested the switch of Ejax… good call..But we are still not out of it (if Gorzo can settle down here).

68. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Er, Wonk, thanks, but I wasn't at the gathering. We're still not the same person, though.

69. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM

That's right, Gorz; keep the ball on the ground.

70. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Well.. I have met both Wonk and NatsLady.. so Nope.. they are not the same person

71. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:00 PM

79 mph hanging slider — doh!!

72. Natslifer - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:01 PM

we're going to win this game

73. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Yeah, I had a feeling that E-Jax mighta been the problem but Gorzy wasn't the solution.

74. Old Wino - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Positive thoughts…

75. JD - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Gorzo pouring Gasoline on the fire.

76. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Those 2 runs hurt. Colvin is locked in. Wrong pitch called. That is what he hit last time for the RBI single. He hit the HR on the outside fastball.

77. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Michelle: thank you, it was a good call (haha). Ten second later, Johnson comes and makes the switch.Although, Gorzo didn't make the move advantageous.

78. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM

We get back in the game, Ejax gets a second chance and still can't get it together and of course Gorzo (Gonzo) stinks it up when you need him. This guy always gives up 1 run when he comes in relief, both those runs were his as far as I am concerned, due to his terrible wild pitch.

79. A DC Wonk - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM

NatsLady said… Er, Wonk, thanks, but I wasn't at the gathering.Whoops, right. I think it was NatsNut? (Michele, help me out here! ;-) )

80. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Storen cant get back fast enough

81. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I think we can safely say that virtually everyone who takes the time to comment on this blog is a pretty serious Nats fan. I mean, MASN viewship is up to about 50,000 households, and probably less than 50 people appear in the comments. And now that anon comments are prohibited, even more time and effort is required to participate in the discussion. So enough of the who's a more loyal fan. That's silly. Also, I've met both DCW and NL. They are decidedly not the same person. The disagreements here can get heated. If you're critical of the team you're going to get pushback, sometimes snide or even insulting. So as Sofa says, you need to have a thick skin, especially if you're not a fan of every decision Rizzo or Davey makes. But it's worth it because the conversation can be intelligent and entertaining. And that's what we're here for, right? Or is it just to spout off?

82. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

This is like watching an aluminum bat American Legion game.

83. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Gorzelanny seems to "leak" when he gets in the game. Still time, still time.

84. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I love Bryce, but he has batted like he is 19 lately

85. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Way to go with the pitch, Harper.

86. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM

ok Bryce way to go!

87. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM

A bomb is coming from Zim?

88. rogieshan - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM

fresh2 said,The Nationals have been relying on Bryce Harper in center field, but they’re still telling teams they’re looking for a long-term answer at the position, Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports ————————————————I'm convinced Denard Span will be wearing a Nats uniform before long.

89. realdealnats - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM

90. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Angel got one right

91. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Section 222 well said!!!!And Yes Wonk.. it was NatsNut

92. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Does harper realize that is massive amounts of eye black make his nose look cartoonishly big. Somebody better tell him.

93. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Napkins. That's all I'm sayin. Napkins.

94. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM

You know what I notice unfortunately is that the in-game stupidity gets more comments than the really good comments.

95. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM

TIE GAME!!! HOLY MOLY.. THIS IS AWESOME!!!

96. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM

DESMOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

97. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM

NAPKINS, BABY!!!

98. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Desi just bashed his brother-in-law. Not good for the Holidays.

99. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Time for Davey to get to the "A" bullpen.

100. Ron In Reston - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Welcome to Colorado, folks

101. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Gonat.. Thanksgiving dinner:Desi: can you pass that Napkin???

102. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Tie game. Gotta pay attention to the 7-year-old in my studio who expects me to teach her piano…

103. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Predict the total amount of runs to be scored today.Prediction 25 total runs to be scored today.

104. Ron In Reston - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I would LOVE to know why my posts keep vanishing :/ This happened the other day and then the next day, they were back in the thread where I had posted them. Very frustrating as I occasionally have something quasi-intelligent to say.

105. A DC Wonk - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Gonat said… Desi just bashed his brother-in-law.Brother-in-law? What's that about?

106. realdealnats - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Wild Game. Wild Thread.

107. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Repeat after me:Baseball is the most random of games….

108. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Roenicke is married to Desi's sister. Roenicke's father is also the Brewer's manager. There is also a famous baseball uncle or something.

109. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:23 PM

110. JaneB - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Unkyd– There's our guy Ian, saving the day again.Cookies for the dogs! GYFNG!

111. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Way to hit the pitcher Gorzo…you are awesome!!!

112. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Get Gonzo out of here, who hits the opposing pitcher on 0-2?????

113. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:25 PM

114. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:25 PM

You would think at 9-9, the Nats wuld have the advantage.

115. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Gonat said… Time for Davey to get to the "A" bullpen. June 28, 2012 5:19 PM __________________________Oh boy.

116. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Wait – Gorzelanny is still in????? I thought he was done!!!!!!Oh, no – this is not good. Breathe – I need to breathe. Oh, Davey – bad, bad,bad, decision.

117. JD - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Crap pitching on both sides today.

118. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:27 PM

NatsFanJim – actually Desi's sister is married to Josh Roenicke. Get your baseball pedigrees straight, now. Not like we are in a tight game or anything…

119. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Gorzo needs to go on the DL….

120. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I really want to shake Davey Johnson right now.

121. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Gorzo is horrible

122. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Swami.. I am getting the paper bags out now.. breathe deeply!!!! Oh MY! This is just a hilarious game. (umm Gorzy STOP letting in runs!)

123. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Got it, Swami. Looking up the wrong tree!

124. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:31 PM

MIcheleS – this has to be one of the craziest Nats games ever. Ranks right up there with the game against the Cubs last summer, which I experienced in person. Livo had huge lead and blew it and we lost. This is just nutty.

125. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I did not know there was such a thing as Arena Baseball where if you can hold them to one run you have the advantage.

126. mick - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

This is like Legion ball, lol

127. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

JD said… Crap pitching on both sides today. June 28, 2012 5:26 PM ___________________________4 seam, 2 seam, slider, and changeup. Leave the curveball in the bag and don't throw the slider twice and find a different way to pitch to Colvin.I think Solano and JZim were on the same page yesterday and Stras controls his own game.Not impressed by the pitch selection and location today.

128. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Am I missing something? Can the site manager increase the number of posts before we have to do the newer/newest thing? It is really annoying that every time the page refreshes we have to hit newer/newest. Is there no way to increase comment level? This team is not going away and comments are going to continue to increase….

129. JD - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Tough to pitch in Denver. Just shows what a great game JZIM pitched yesterday. Mick, Gorzo is not really horrible.

130. NatsLady - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Gorzy, don't you know you are supposed to give up exactly ONE run and then be fine after that?

131. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I went to 1 game at Coors Field and it was like watching this game! I laughed the entire time! (and thank god I didn't root for the Rockies)

132. realdealnats - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Agree with Gonat that Davey should have gone to the A Bull Pen, especially since Gorzo's been sliding a bit lately. But the important news, lest we forget, is our bats have woken up. The BP is for real, if not every single inning. Hoping the bats continue at sea level.

133. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Am I missing something? Can the site manager increase the number of posts before we have to do the newer/newest thing?Yes. No. In that order. Mark has only been doing this for two years.

134. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Lombo gone on 3 pitches. Any question he is lost? Smart money was on a trip to Syracuse and send Corey Brown.

135. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM

What am I missing? Damn. If this game ends 10-9, I am not going to be happy.

136. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Going to Atlanta for three after today, so let's keep a little bullpen for the weekend. Screw this game.

137. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Yeah, well Danny was gone on one pitch, does it all the time and probably doesn't even remember where Syracuse is.

138. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Gorzo is the dedicated long reliever to replace RH starters, especially now that Det is back in the rotation. Unless he wants to go with a bunch of one inning guys starting in the 5th inning, he pretty much had to stick with him.This is one of those games where the final is going to be 13-12 or higher. We can still win it. Sure wish I could watch, but the MLB app and the comments here are an ok substitute.swami- gee thanks for reminding me about the Livo meltdown against the Cubs. That was one of the most painful nights I've ever endured at Nats Park.

139. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM

The bullpen isn't going to win this game; the hitters will win it, or not. Weekend in Atlanta. This ain't the playoffs.

140. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Sect 222 – sorry about that. The craziness level just made me have flashbacks.

141. djinFl. - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM

@ William O DouglasI right click and choose refresh. It brings me back to the same spot where I was, but with the new post.

142. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM

So this inning's leaky pitcher is Mattheus. Whoever said that this should make us appreciate Jzim's outing was right. He struggled the least of any pitcher. Everyone else is all over the place. Individual batting averages are soaring this week but so are era's.

143. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Have we ever gone over 400 comments before? Wild stuff.

144. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM

LaRoche is playing inside the baseline and well off the bag. I'd be near the line and behind the runner. Comments?

145. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Right click and refresh…. Thanks…. Is that with Internet Explorer? It doesn't seem to work with Mozilla….

146. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Ryan Mattheus… He is Staying…

147. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM

148. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:47 PM

On Mozilla it's reload.

149. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:47 PM

222, yes we have, on a few occasions, in fact.

150. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Ah, Wil Nieves (who? Wil Nieves), I knew you wouldn't let us down.

151. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Rex Bros. Sounds like a furniture store.

152. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM

on any browser, F5 is the "refresh page" button. Hold down the control key to force a refresh without using the cache, but that shouldn't matter here.

153. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Thanks. Damn. Now we can't get a hit.

154. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:52 PM

And just like that, Morse gets a hit.

155. baseballswami - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:55 PM

But a very lonely hit. The hits needs friends.

156. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Friends for Hits. I'd LIKE that in Facebook.

157. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I hate losing one run games, although it can actually be a sign of being a good team, if you have a good record

158. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

man I missed some exciting parts.let's keep this game within reach guys.

159. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I just hate losing. I don't care what the score was.

160. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I can't believe we are still in the 7th

161. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Nice Job, Mike.

162. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Michele, I KNOW. I went to a Nats-Rox game and an American League game broke out.

163. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Looong game

164. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Throw Strikes, Gonzalez!

165. realdealnats - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Rex Bros. Sounds like a furniture store.or demolition specialists

166. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:06 PM

PHEW! Come on boys Get some HITS!!!!

167. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM

haha Thank you Todd for swinging at ball four. Bailed Gonzo's arse out of the fire.

168. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM

YES!! Let's get those bats going again!

169. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM

arse? Srsly?

170. Section 222 - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM

WODL, I keep two tabs open, and post in one, and refresh the other. Should work in Firefox or any other browser.Brilliant. Also, on my Macbook version of Chrome, refresh is CTRL-R.

171. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Channeling runs —

172. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Soul Possession,My Hitterish Sofa — is your name and you ask me is I'M serious? dont be an arse hole.

173. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM

222, thank you. I should have specified that's for PC boxes.

174. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Nothing like hitting the opposing pitcher to ruin good karma. With all these relievers, why does Gorzo get so many innings?

175. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Desi robbed. Someone needs to get the Nats line moving again.

176. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM

one swing, tie ball game. i know you guys can do it.

177. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Yup. That's our Danger Boy. I'm convinced.

178. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Good job, JeZeus!!

179. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Bernie let his pitch go.

180. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM

YES!!! It's a rally.

181. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Glad JFlo got a hit.. AND BERNIE FLYS down the LINE! Come on.. just another base hit and we tie this one up!!

182. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Wait, who hit the opposing pitcher?

183. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Espinosa with another clutch hit…oh wait, that never happens!!!

184. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Tell the truth: you forgot your napkins that inning, didn't you?

185. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM

A high leverage situation for Espi and he choked. That was the chance.

186. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:20 PM

He didn't choke. He popped up. It happens.

187. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:21 PM

nice play by Burnett.

188. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Very nice.

189. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Nats remain in Soul Possession of first. W/L notwithstanding, they're feeling hitterish. Sofa, well, that's just my own brilliance, which is recognized and respected the world over. You can whine like a whatnot or bask in reflected glory. Your choice.

190. JD - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Soul possession, Exactly right. Every time someone makes an out he's called a choker. If the game were that easy.

191. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I didn't realize that the Rockies even had a closer! who knew!

192. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM

If the game were that easy, I'd be hitting .414. Wait, I am hitting .414, just not at that level.

193. MicheleS - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

SWEEET BAM BAM!!!

194. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Bryce Harper.

195. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

NAPKIN!

196. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

AWESOME!!!

197. Gonat - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

That is a laser beam! BRYCE

198. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:30 PM

he is only throwing cutters?

199. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM

haha Ask espinoza if he choked?

200. NatsFanJim - Jun 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Seriously, did any of you guys who post here ever play baseball at a level above little league?Too many here sound gimpy and wimpy — almost like blindly loyal pom pom girls.