Game 75: Nats at Braves

Jun 29, 2012, 8:29 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats open a big, three-game series at Turner Field tonight.

ATLANTA — The Nationals' long, 10-day road trip enters its final leg tonight here in Atlanta, where the thermometer has been reading triple-digits all afternoon with no signs of cooling down. Into this caldron of fire steps Ross Detwiler, who flew from Colorado to Georgia yesterday and thus didn't get to experience that 11-inning debacle in person.

After asking their relievers to churn out eight innings in that wild game yesterday, the Nationals could desperately use a quality start out of Detwiler, who has reached the seventh inning only once in 10 previous starts this year.

The Nationals could also use a continuation of their offensive explosion from Coors Field. The air here certainly isn't as thin, though the scorching hot temperature should help the ball fly somewhat.

Plenty of updates to come live from Turner Field, so please check back often from the comforts of your air-conditioned living rooms…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 7:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Sunny, 101 degrees, Wind 6 mph LF to RF

LF Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. ehay2k - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:21 AM

When did Natslady advocate" dumping" Morse?

2. NatsJack in Florida - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:22 AM

I think F & I and mick ought to be posting on a Braves site.

3. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Come on, harp quit pullingout your shoulder

4. DWS - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Quality innings by a fifth starter. Davey left him in too long but you got to love the effort. Repeat fifth starter.

5. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Hey Davey, You're not playing your usual mind-numbing percentages: Why didn't you just ph Moore (righty) for Harper (lefty) who ended up toast to Kimbrel.

6. NatsLady - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:24 AM

phil dunton said…Nats Lady–Still want to dump Morse?Only when he is in the outfield–but he's surviving even out there.

7. mick - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Bryce will be great one day, but now he is looking 19 years old verse lefties.

8. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Who here ever ever wanted to jump MOrse? Joke, right?

9. mick - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Secret wasian manI agree, this is on Davey, not really Det so much.

10. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:26 AM

I am a little confused by Davey's moves. Not questioning them but curious ones. Leaving Detwiler in, Burnett to hit, and now taking a hot bat out.

11. NatsLady - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:27 AM

I didn't. Just said he would be good trade bait for the AL in the offseason. Might have to rethink that, but we'll see.

12. MicheleS - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:27 AM

FarazHe has his best defensive OF right now. Bernie, Ank, and Harper. Notice I said defensive.

13. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Morse is truly good: he'll be fine — more than fine it seems.

14. NatsFanSinceStart - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:30 AM

If only Ankiel could hit some — just .260 with 20 dingers — he'd be the man. if ….

15. mick - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:31 AM

what was wrong with that pitch? I will tell you, the umpiring this season behind the plate is the worst I seen in along time

16. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Eagle has convinced me–converted, even. Laugh at these silly people, it's a lot more fun. There's about half a dozen, and then three or so more that are the same guy, and really, they aren't hurting anything but their own liver, which is none of my business. ******************************************************************Weather update: the line of really nasty stuff is about at DC, on a line from about Harrisburg to south of Lynchburg, with the worst on the north half. Batten down within the next half hour if you're in that area. And don't be touching plugged-in stuff in a lightning storm.

17. mick - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Burnett and Clip may be our only reliable relief pitchers…. When Storen comes back, we will still be short

18. NatsLady - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:32 AM

And the unflappable Burnett with a fist pump. Don't know if I've seen that before.

19. NatsLady - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Seeing lightning. It's a-comin' to Foggy Bottom.

20. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Davey is not stupid or clueless, guys. He has a tendency this year to be a little greedy with the pitching staff…but he seems to be very confident that this is a playoff team, so he seems content to let certain guys try to figure things out so they can contribute down the stretch.

21. MicheleS - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Lights flickering in Loudoun. My neighbors patio furniture is now flying around the back yard..UGH.. I hate storms

22. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:36 AM

NL, the great AB must have gotten him all jacked up. : )****************Radar pic, if you're interested

23. djinFl. - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:36 AM

MicheleSstay away from the windows and all that stuff soul said.

24. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:38 AM

that was brilliant! I am glad I am not making decisions. With Burnett getting job done, bullpen is saved a lot more work than needed. If we are going to blame Davey for sticking with HRod too long, then we should also give him credit for using other guys as brilliantly as he has done.Michele, let's hope that defense or even their offense is not needed for rest of the game.

25. NatsNutty - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:38 AM

26. ehay2k - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Power flickering in Arlington just lost the game on TV. (I wonder if my gutters are clear? Too late!)

27. NatsLady - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Well, that was unusual. Ankiel usually a good baserunner. Oh, well. Up to Clip now.

28. MicheleS - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:41 AM

It's going through fast. It's still raining here in Loudoun, but the wind has calmed down. Still have Power! YEA!!!!

29. djinFl. - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Only 15 hits!Fire Eck

30. NatsNutty - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:42 AM

I'm glad I got my last "profound" comment in, my lights are flickering too!

31. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Weather just landed at Shaw. Wow, everything is blowing big-time. Hope my cable stays on for the game…

32. Secret wasian man - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:43 AM

was he safe?

33. Fear and Ignorance - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Hey NatsJack-I am just as big of a fan as you are buddy. Just because I don't wear my uniform to the local bar every night doesn't mean I am not a fan. Nats Woo!!! BTW…nice call on the EJAX outing yesterday.

34. ehay2k - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Need PBP please, no TV.'(wireless internet still working on tablet!)

35. NatsLady - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Freeman just got a double on a Clip fastball. Weather hitting now, don't know how long I will be with you all.

36. ehay2k - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Djinfl – how do you know that without Eck, we wouldn't have 30? :-)

37. NatsLady - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Fly ball to center, they don't test Ank's arm. Prado up.

38. MicheleS - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Okay. Pop out to CF.. Runner does not advance. 1 out

39. djinFl. - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:47 AM

leadoff double by FreemanFlyout to centerrunner held

40. djinFl. - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:49 AM

ehay2k- mercy rule

41. NatsLady - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Clip walks Prado. Davey is pacing.

42. NatsLady - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Another popup to center. Runners don't advance and Simmons is up.

43. NatsLady - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Game over. Popup to right!

44. MicheleS - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:52 AM

WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!Love this win!

45. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:52 AM

OK, back and on the battery after battening down. Wow, but it is seriously stormin here. Gusts well over 50 knots, I'm guessing.CLIPP!

46. NatsLady - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:54 AM

OK, not wonderfully happy with Ross (or with Davey leaving him in there to learn), but Davey did the right thing putting Ankiel out there, knowing Clipp is a flyball pitcher. Love the way this team weathers the storms!!!

47. Knoxville Nat - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:55 AM

As George Burns use to say, "Good night Gracie".

48. Steady Eddie - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:59 AM

The front is passing through and the power went on and off for a couple of minutes, then was gone for good. Gonna get pretty hot here in Silver Spring tonight but I'll sleep cozy knowing we have the best record in the NL.

49. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 30, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Catching up…Hey Soul Possession, if you think the season is over and the Nats are already in the World Series, there's something in your drinking water!Water??!! Who put water in my drinking water?Well, you may have a point. I've started putting words in people's mouths. I'm afraid to enjoy the team winning. Oh, wait, that wasn't me. Nevermind.

50. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 30, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Eddie, it looks like you all got the worst of it, but the lightning is pretty heavy here, still. Sure hope that crane outside this window stays up.

51. Soul Possession, My Hitterish Sofa - Jun 30, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Channel 4 saying over 100,000 without power here.