Jun 30, 2012, 11:22 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Stephen Strasburg departed after only three innings with "heat-related issues."
Game in a nutshell: The thermometer read 104 degrees at gametime, an all-time record in Atlanta, and that spelled trouble for Stephen Strasburg and the Nationals. Strasburg lasted only three innings before he had to be pulled with "heat-related issues," and that forced Davey Johnson into using struggling long reliever Chien-Ming Wang in what was at the time a 3-2 game. Wang immediately gave up four runs in two innings, leaving the Nats in a 7-2 deficit. To their credit, they chipped away and got back to within two runs thanks to RBI hits from Tyler Moore, Jesus Flores and Adam LaRoche. In the end, the Nationals simply couldn't make it all the way back.
Hitting highlight: LaRoche has been in something of a prolonged slump for more than a month, but perhaps this game will help him snap out of it. The veteran first baseman roped two doubles and also drewRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?