Game 77: Nats at Braves

Jul 1, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats face the Braves one more time at overheated Turner Field.

ATLANTA — The good news: It's a bit cooler today in Atlanta than it was yesterday when the city's all-time record high temperature of 106 degrees was set. The bad news: "Cooler" in this case is a whopping five degrees. It's still expected to be 101 degrees when Tim Hudson takes the mound at 1:35 p.m.

Like Stephen Strasburg, Gio Gonzalez has been preparing for this for several days, knowing what the conditions were going to be like here. The Miami native hopes to fare better than his San Diegan teammate did.

By the time this game begins, Strasburg, Gonzalez, Ian Desmond, Bryce Harper and Tyler Clippard will know whether they've been named to this year's All-Star team. It should be a cool scene inside the clubhouse as multiple players learn their fates. Check back for a full report on that, and please check back for game updates throughout…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 50, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 101 degrees, Wind 3 mph out to RF

2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
LF Michael Morse

1. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Stay Hydrated today boys!! GYFNG!!!

2. UnkyD - Jul 1, 2012 at 2:59 PM

2 outta 3!!!!

3. natsfan1a - Jul 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Go, GIO! Go, NATS BATS!! And like the lady said, stay hydrated as best you can.

4. m20832 - Jul 1, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Keep the gatorade flowing guys!GYFNG!!!

5. Section 135 - Jul 1, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Hopefully the failed experiments with Wang Nady Lidge DeRosa etc will teach Rizzo to stop trying to revamp careers of guys who are done and go with youth and proven players in their prime.

6. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Key to today is pitch to contact and no walks. Bourn has been struggling. Gio must attack like a power pitcher and stop nibbling.Plenty of lefty/lefty today.

7. Knoxville Nat - Jul 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Peric lays the responsibility for Wang's problems at the feet of Davey Johnson saying "…he is Davey's mistake plain and simple…" On the other hand our old friend JayB surfaces to say that "…Wang is a huge mistake…..no big lose (sic) other than to Rizzo Ego…" I think this is a situation that calls for shared responsibility and accountability. Both Rizzo and Johnson chose to keep Wang over Lannan, a questionable choice in my opinion but worse, the way they handled his assignment to Syracuse ("John's my guy"),telling him in the dugout and in the middle of a game was both disrespectful and unprofessional.I agree that the Wang experiment has to end and the sooner the better, probably over the all star break. But lets remember that both Rizzo and Johnson should be held accountable for this mistake.

8. alexva - Jul 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM

@135 – Wang was an experiment, the others are bench signings, just like Tracy was. They fail more often that not for all teams, that's why they are available. @KnoxNat – of course they will be held accountable and as well they should be acknowledged for their correct moves. They did not keep Wang over Lannan, they kept Detwiler over Lannan. If Wang was not there Detwiler would have never been sent to the bullpen and Lannan would be right where he is.

9. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 4:52 PM

"Rizzo and Johnson should be held accountable for this mistake."What do you suggest? Fines? A five-game suspension? Make them wear "Natinals" shirts? When the team wins, the manager generally gets rewarded, or at least keeps his job. When the team loses, the manager gets fired. Likewise the GM. Taking a reasonable risk (and it was very reasonable) on a player who doesn't seem to be panning out is just part of the job. If they aren't making any mistakes, they aren't doing much of a job. Nitpicking and fingerpointing at one's bettrs is the currency of the Interwebz' hot air, I know, but that doesn't mean it isn't still hot air.

10. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Knozville Nat……Wang was already on the DL when the move to Det over Lannan was made.

11. natsfan1a - Jul 1, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Flogging with a wet rosin bag?What do you suggest? Fines? A five-game suspension? Make them wear "Natinals" shirts?

12. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 4:58 PM

These posters seem to think there totally error free organizations thriving in baseball. So Rizzo and Davey have failed their way to the top of the NL East. I and most everyone else including the Lerners will take that.

13. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM

14. peric - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I think this is a situation that calls for shared responsibility and accountability. Both Rizzo and Johnson chose to keep Wang over Lannan, a questionable choice in my opinion but worse, the way they handled his assignment to Syracuse ("John's my guy"),telling him in the dugout and in the middle of a game was both disrespectful and unprofessional.First, Ignorance is bliss? The BEST PITCHER AND LEFT HANDED STARTER in the Syracuse rotation IS Zach Duke. HE ***IS** an IL ALL STAR and a former 2009 Major league ALL STAR. How many times was "Lannen" picked as an All Star? He's not even an All Star in AAA that everyone keeps reminding me isn't the same as the majors? Come friggin ON!In fact Riggleman had to change his name on the lineup card to help him barely squeak by a tough Phillies lineup? Who in this rotation has that problem.For three plus years in a a row John Lannan had the absolute worst advanced stats of any starter!! And that included such luminaries as Garret Mock, Atilano, Maya, Atilano etc. WORST! That is why Lannan is in AAA making 5 million a year. Honestly, the 5 million was payment for services rendered suffering through the losing seasons and going out there ever fifth day. Lannan will never make that again, that you can take to the bank.Why did Davey pick Ross Detwiler, Craig Stammen, Tom Gorzelanny, and yes CM Wang over Lannan? Well look at the first three. Would you trade any of those three starters for Lannan right now? All three easily adapted to working in the bullpen … they did what they had to do for their team. And Lannan? He couldn't deal with losing his starting job and going to the bullpen and that was shown in his performance in ST. And so he lost his job in the majors. Stop the whining over Lannan. The guy is as AAAA as Atilano or Martin and honestly they were better pitchers statistically!

15. Knoxville Nat - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Not suggesting fines or suspension. I'm just trying to say that as we fans look at this it (keeping Wang) wasn't a Johnson move or a Rizzo move, it was both of them agreeing this was the way to go.NatsJack, I know Wang was on the DL my recollection however was that 3 guys, Wang, Det and Lannan were fighting for that 5th spot in the rotation. When they made the decision to put Detwiler in the rotation I was okay with that but I wasn't okay with keeping Wang on the roster, DL or otherise, over Lannan.

16. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Wet rosin bags are pretty hard, actually.

17. natsfan1a - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Speaking of rosin bags, I stumbled on a video about how to make one, in case you were of a mind to, which I'm not. :-)

18. natsfan1a - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM

sec3, yeah, that may be too harsh. ;-)

19. peric - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Davey and Rizzo are going to make mistakes. I happen to believe said mistakes (perhaps a better term would be experiments?) should not be tried against the Atlanta Braves, New York Mets, Miami Marlins, and yes even the last place Philadelphia Phillies. Because you never know especially with the Phillies.That in my opinion was a managing mistake. Not a mistake on the part of the GM. And in the end Davey is the one who asked Rizzo to bring Wang back, he claims to have offered him some of his salary to do it. Now, today we see Ankiel instead of Tyler Moore. What's wrong with this picture? Against the Braves who are right behind the Nats? A team in 2nd place? THAT may be another surprising managing blunder by Johnson. But, I understand Ankiel is pulling a Pudge and constantly fidgeting and trying to get Davey to put him into the game. But Tyler Moore should be playing today. He is used to hot weather. He's from Mississippi? Not playing Tyler Moore is a mistake.

20. SFNats - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:09 PM

For heaven's sake. Wang was a gamble, and not a bad one. For the most part, it cost them nothing but money to find out if he could come back from injury and be anything resembling the pitcher he once was. The Braves are doing the same thing with Ben Sheets. The Red Sox are doing it with Mark Prior. There's nothing wrong with giving it a shot. There's no reason for anyone to don sackcloth and ashes over it.As others have said, Wang has absolutely nothing to do with what they did with Lannan. They kept Detwiler over Lannan, and rightfully so. Lannan can't/won't pitch out of the 'pen, so if they kicked Wang to the curb this afternoon, it would have absolutely no effect of the ultimate fate of John Lannan. You can like how they handled the Lannan situation or not, but it's got nothing to do with the Wang experiment.If anything, I think what's going on with Wang will ultimately help Detwiler. The only time he's pitched really poorly this season was those few starts right before Wang was going to come off the DL — when his job situation was in flux. I think Det knowing that the has a spot in the rotation for at least the rest of the season if not longer will take a load off his mind. He seems to be a guy that lets things get into his head, so one less distraction could only help.

21. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM

1a, I may bring out a wet home-made rosin bag in boldface if I hear the expression "held accountable" one more time. Worse than "trade a draft pick"; worse than "trade our cast-off crap I just hated on for somebody else's all-star."

22. Wendell - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM

The only thing about the Wang situation I don't understand is why they brought him back before they had to = presumably before he fixed his "mechanical problems".

23. djinFl. - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Gio an allstar

24. djinFl. - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Strass an allstar

25. baseballswami - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I am not sure if these personnel moves are actually mistakes. I think they make moves based on the best available information. Sometimes things don't work out – that doesn't mean the decision wasn't made appropriately. Some things are a gamble, but maybe worth trying. Overall I think this organization has more hits than misses. I would point out Morse, Clip and Flores as cases where players that weren't though highly of in their organizations have worked out well here. There does come a time, though, when you have to admit that something hasn't worked out despite your best efforts and cut your losses. If Wang would offer to go down to the minors and work things out maybe there is one more shot. If he doesn't, then the Nats just have to do what is best for the team and cannot keep blocking that roster spot with a player that isn't producing. He has had more than enough time and careful handling.

26. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM

So Far.. YEA GIO AND YEA STRAS in the AllStar Game!

27. baseballswami - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM

where are you seeing the results?

28. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Well if Ian is not an allstar.. we throw wet rosin bags at LaRussa…

29. baseballswami - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM

MicheleS – every year players back out because they are dinged up or they pretend to be because they have plans. Maybe then?

30. SFNats - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM

31. djinFl. - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM

On TBS

32. SFNats - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:23 PM

The All-Star selection show is on TBS right now.

33. SFNats - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Desi is an an All-Star!

34. djinFl. - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Ian is in

35. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:25 PM

YEA!! IAN!!! Wait.. No CLIPP? What the?? Still throwing a Rosin bag at LaRussa

36. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Swami,, good point, pitchers will be shut down, so maybe Clipp will get in that way.

37. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Sounds like it will be Bryce vs chipper on the last man in.. Get your fingers ready to start voting people!

38. SFNats - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Looks like Harper is going to be one of the 5 on the extra ballot.

39. baseballswami - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM

IAN!!!! The first place team in a premiere division like the NL East has to have a position player in the ASG. Although, I do like the fact that our — did I mention that we are in first place?– team has no stars, but yet they are all stars ( not all-stars). I think at some point it will probably be Harper, maybe, but right now this is truly a team.

40. natsfan1a - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM

WoooHooo for Desi!

41. djinFl. - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Clip might be one of the 5 last men in.

42. peric - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I love Moore, but he needs to some more defensive work in LF before he's an everyday player. Against Hudson, I'd imagine that Davy wants his best defense in there, because it's apt to be a low-scoring game.No, its actually because Ankiel is hitting .400 against Hudson according to Davey … but his current approach is absolutely terrible. I can't believe he continues to pinch hit the guy!!! He doesn't listen to his coaches that's for damned sure. I suspect its why he couldn't get his control back after that injury when he was a pitcher.And yes Ian Desmond IS AN ALL STAR. And John Lannan can't even make the All Stars in lowly AAA.

43. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Last man ballots are already on MLB.com

44. Old Wino - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Sweet, Ian earned it. Awesome!

45. natsfan1a - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Yay, Buster! (for my brother :-))

46. Jim Webster - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Hooray for Stras, Gio, Desi. Just finished my 25 for Bryce at http://www.mlb.com/vote. Will be tough to outpoll Chipper.

47. Jim Webster - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

48. SFNats - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Woo hoo. I have four email addresses lined up to vote for Harper 100 times.

49. DannyEllinosa - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM

So happy for Ian! And Strass & Gio too!

50. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM

BTW.. I think it is unlimited voting. No issues on the 25 votes per email address.

51. Will - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:38 PM

It's not stopping me at 25 votes. If only I could program my computer to type in the code and vote all day.

52. A DC Wonk - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Speaking of "mistakes" we should all read how many posters here excoriated the Nats for insisting on playing Ian. "if he hasn't learn to hit or field by now, he'll never get it" was shouted at the rest of us over and over again. And now he's an all star. Lesson: our management actually does know what it's doing, and is willing to take risks and be patient from tune to time. Wang pitched well in ST if I remember correctly. It was a reasonable decision. Fwiw….

53. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Big Donkey made it for the White Sox! That will be a fun HR Derby if he is in it!

54. natsfan1a - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Tuned in to TBS late, so saw Ian first. Congrats to Gio and Stephen as well.

55. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Wonk.. AMEN! which is why we need to have patience with Danny….

56. djinFl. - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

You nailed it WonkWe are still in first.

57. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM

God i Love this! Zim is really starting to hit! Cortizone for Everyone..Sunshine.. Can you add Corizone to the Maalox!!!!

58. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Too bad for Clip, but his rocky start messed him up, for sure. Next year. So happy for Desi, I'm sure he wanted it. Stras– be careful, it can get HOT in KC, too. Happy for Gio, too, we get to see that smile during the All-Star Break, will cheer us all up!As regards CMW, I was a supporter of the experiment. Let's face it, there are lots of experiments, especially in the position the Nats were in last year and the year before. Hey, Giolito is an experiment. CMW had a high upside, and, really, the only significant downside was $$$. The injury in ST killed him because now he had to try to come back in the midst of a pennant race. Oh, BTW— Go LOMBO, Go Kid, Go RZ!! 2-0 and nobody out.

59. Swift Eagle - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM

That's an all star srike zone..Hudson getting squeezed. Hope Gio is ready for a small zone

60. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Hey.. FP is WOOO HOOO'ing!!! I need to tweet him the rules of this.. (only after wins)

61. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Isn't it time to DL Zim so he can rest that shoulder through the All Star break? (kidding)And I'll take Davey's lineup decisions any time.

62. UnkyD - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I. Am. So. Happy!!! All I ever wanted, was for everyone to give My Boy a chance, and to see him, a year later, in the ASG…. HOT DOG!!! Good work, Desi…you absolutely deserve it!!!KGYFNKG!!!!!!! (keep going…)

63. Swift Eagle - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Exactly Jack…I'll roll with DJ and Rizzo over the GMs and Managers from the NI Legion of Doom…

64. natsfan1a - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Unk, I'll admit that I welled up a bit at the announcement. So happy for him. He certainly paid his dues in the minors, and has had many doubters. Must be sweet for him. Maybe it was the Daddy Power that put him over the top. :-)

65. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM

So the Niece is out of the country.. I am filling in admirably on the Bryce vote for her!

66. A DC Wonk - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Thanks Michele and dj. Yes, my comment was also an allusion to Danny, too (although I forgot to mention it)No cable here, no Internet, following this (and the game) from my phoneGYFNG! Shut 'em down Gio! (with a low pitch count!)

67. Drew - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Cortisone…They give us those nice bright colorsThey give us the greens of summersMakes us think all the world's a sunny day…Oh, wait, that's Kodachrome.My bad. Carry on.

68. Swift Eagle - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:04 PM

From personal experience, cutting back on the chew would help Stras with the high blood pressure and dehydration..Easier said than done though, tough habit to break

69. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Hope you weathered Friday nite OK, Derek. We here in Florida know exactly what it's like to have severe weather followed by several days without power. It really sucks.I've grown to love the sound of a generator during those times.

70. baseballswami - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Good point , swift eagle, great point, in fact.

71. Jim Webster - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Jack, Eagle: Keep up the reason. The nattering nabobs of nonsense are getting tiresome.

72. Swift Eagle - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Still no power at my house Jack! Prob out until 6pm tomorrow. Ty Cobb (my dog) and I are staying at a friend's house…

73. baseballswami - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Epic at- bat. Would love to see our hitters do that a lot more.

74. Will - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Fellas, I've been voting for an hour and I think I may have heat exhaustion. Someone pick me up and take over.

75. baseballswami - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:15 PM

That Simmons at-bat was a big boy at-bat and will get him lots of positive love in their organization. It also tired gio immensely, understandably. Take note, nationals hitters.

76. baseballswami - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Is he going to walk the pitcher?

77. Swift Eagle - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:16 PM

3 of the 4 pitches to Hudson were strikes per Pithc F/X…

78. baseballswami - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM

See – Simmons did that to Gio. Gio needs to bear down – walking the pitcher on four straight to load the bases? Get Simmons out of your head!!!

79. Wendell - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Whew!

80. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Gio mad at himself or the strike zone?

81. Drew - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Dios mio, Gio!

82. Swift Eagle - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:18 PM

We have an all-star there…No problem

83. A DC Wonk - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I have power, thankfully. I really need (and appreciate) the a/c! (just missing cable and Internet, so I can't complain)

84. Swift Eagle - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:19 PM

He's mad at the zone…I'm sure Hudson is too

85. Wendell - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM

FP says McClellend has one of the tightest strike zones in baseball. Apparently he has no problems with the heat.

86. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:26 PM

The great thing about Directv is that if your dish survives, all you need is power and you're back in business.The absolute last people that respond are the god awful cable companies.

87. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:26 PM

How to vote for the last player:From MLB.com: "fans can use their mobile phones to cast votes via the mobile web at MLB.com/vote or via text message. To receive the 2012 All-Star Game MLB.com Final Vote mobile ballot, text the word "VOTE" to 89269. To vote for a specific player, fans can text the choice to 89269. EXAMPLE: Text "N3" to vote for NL Player 3 [that would be Bryce]. Msg & Data Rates May Apply. Mobile voting in Canada also is available and fans should text their choices to 101010. Std rates may apply."

88. baseballswami - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Yesterday's guy had a mini-zone, too. Hoping Gio tolerates the weather better today being from Miami, which is basically tropical. FP and Bob said that yesterday the BRaves pitcher had 2 iv bags before the game even started.

89. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Gio has to change his approach. Walking Hudson on 4 pitches and 14 pitches to Simmons just cost him a inning today.Strikeouts with nobody on base is no better than an out made by a fielder.

90. Swift Eagle - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:32 PM

That's a HOF swing/approach by Chipper..great player

91. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM

On the bright side.. CMW will be unavailable today.

92. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Ghost…and the bad part about it is he isn't missing any bats when he does throw a strike.Finally misses Uggla's bat with change ups.

93. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I can't believe that Brian LaHair from the Cubs is in the AllStar game. Geesh.

94. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:38 PM

NatsJack.. you will love this. I have the game tracker up from CBS Sports.. They are promoting The Franchise on there. First Comment on the add: What Makes a Champion! I started to laugh at that

95. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Swift….that swing by Chipper is what Zima been doing to that same pitch. And because of that he's now starting to get some inside stuff to pull.

96. JD - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Ghost, What makes you so sure that pitching to contact won't produce hits and runs rather than outs? stats say that 1 of every 3 balls in play will be a hit. The strike out is a great weapon. Simmons had an amazing at bat. Gio threw every pitch in his arsenal to him and he kept fouling it off. They are not an easy lineup. If Gio gives you 5 in this heat he's doing great.

97. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:41 PM

NatsJACK, 75 pitches in 3 innings isn't good. He certainly won't pitch past the 5th.Has to pitch to contact with nobody on base.

98. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Michele, as opposed to Starlin Castro?

99. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Or as opposed to Adam LaRoche?

100. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Hey, it's not his fault if they can't put the ball in play.

101. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I totally agree, Ghost.

102. rogieshan - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:45 PM

You'd think after what happened to Strasburg yesterday, the team would take a few more pitches to allow Gio a longer break on the bench. And he draws a walk! I guess the Braves are up to their melt-the-starter strategy again…

103. JD - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM

NatsJack and Ghost, And what do you suggest he does? take something off his fastball? He would get clobbered.

104. natsfan1a - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Just hope he doesn't get on the field and have a brain [lapse].as opposed to Starlin Castro?

105. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:48 PM

JD….do just what he did to Simmons right there. Throw strikes EARLY AND OFTEN.

106. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:49 PM

There you go, Andrelton Simmons out on 2 pitches vs 14 the last AB.

107. JD - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Yes but NatsJack, He Threw about 13 strikes to Simmons in the 1st at bat. It's a 2 way street. Gio is a strikeout pitcher and Hudson is a ground ball pitcher but Hudson also gives up 1 more run a game than Gio.

108. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:53 PM

That's always the best approach to pitching. Unless you subscribe to the brilliant approach by one Rob Dribble of "his problem is that he throwd too many strikes" fame.

109. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:53 PM

JD,. he has to.stay off the edges and attack with movement and location and pitch selection.

110. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:55 PM

RZimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

111. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Wow. I think Zim got all of that one.

112. Swift Eagle - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Furthest one I've seen Ryan hit…am I forgetting one?

113. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Farthest this season.

114. natsfan1a - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM

lol at Tracy being first in line to greet Zimm in the dugout. Allow me to take your helmet, sir. Will you require anything else from me this afternoon?

115. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Have to say, Chipper plays 3B very differently than RZ. Seems to use a lot less energy to get the same result, if not better.

116. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Did I say something earlier about Zim getting some inside stuff to pull?

117. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Swift, the one the other day is listed on ESPN at 427 feet, that's his longest heretofore this season.

118. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM

NJ, Zim hits the outside and starts to see some inside stuff.

119. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Sofa.. The cubs have to have 1 player, so Castro was the default. Yes.. LaHair is taking Adam's place on the team. If Votto is gimpy (bruised knee yesterday?), I could see Adam making it.

120. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:02 PM

How can MASN text me that Zim's HR makes the score 5-0?

121. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Ghost……that's what I was saying about Chippers double and how Zim had starting doing that this week so the inside stuff was coming.

122. djinFl. - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Gio has even loosened up the stoic Zimm.

123. peric - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Rizzo looked kind of unhappy and a bit frenetic … something is bothering that guy …

124. peric - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:07 PM

No Giolito?

125. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Zimmerman, per ESPN HRTLongest/season439 2011446 2010449 2009440 2008452 2007424 2006So what did they call this one?

126. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM

When does Rizzo ever look happy? He always looks like someone is jabby knives into his feet.

127. Will - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Michele – He'll only look happy when we win a championship. I can respect that.

128. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Have I mentioned that I really like this Solano kid?

129. UnkyD - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Jabby knives…. Reminds me of "jazz hands", for some reason..lol

130. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Sofa.. I am liking Baby Pudge as well…He is growing on me (but then, I am just a softy)

131. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:19 PM

So this one is for you, Unky D.

132. natsfan1a - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I liked him back when he was a P-Nat, too. :-)

133. natsfan1a - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM

lol, sec3, loving that pic.

134. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I like "Cebolla" better, myself. Not a big fan of the "baby" usage, but that's just me.

135. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I know it's hot, but, Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRochThome 0-for-3. Two ground outs and a strikeout. Attendance today: 16,689

136. Drew - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

You're up five runs and over 100 pitches.THROW STRIKES!

137. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I guess I was wrong about Gio done after 5.

138. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Only thing worse than walking the lead off hitter is walking the first two hitters. This is really aggravating.

139. Will - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Steve – By the looks of it, he's winded…so he may be done, just still out there…if you catch my meaning.

140. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM

OK, there's your strike. Happy now?

141. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM

And time to take him out..

142. Drew - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Inexcusable. Just terrible.

143. Will - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Oh geez. Who didn't see that coming?

144. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I like strikes fine; I've just never seen a three-run walk.

145. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Oh boy. That wasn't good.

146. Will - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Can't really blame Gio too much. That should be charged to Davey's ERA.

147. Swift Eagle - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:28 PM

So you blame Davey for the ERA…Does he also get credit for the W's, SO's and the all-star appearance??

148. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Absolutely. Gio should have been out after the first walk. At least Stammen has clean bases.

149. Cameron - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Davey has made some questionable decisions the past couple games.

150. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Gio went from a 2.73 ERA to a 3.01. With a day off tomorrow and a much needed win as I said earlier, get your 5 innings and let the bullpen do their thing.

151. Will - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Swift – I get your argument, but you can't in your right mind think sending a guy sitting on 98 pitches out to pitch in 100 + weather was a good idea…

152. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Eagle, I don't blame Davey for sticking w/ Gio into the 6th. But after the 1st walk, he should take him out.

153. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

So what are you saying? Walk him and go for the grand slam?I'll take 3 solo home runs in a row over 2 walks and 3 run jack. At least you made them put the ball in play and maybe they don' go yard.

154. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

It was Gio that hung a meatball belt-high, middle, not Davey. Gio isn't going to take himself out in the sixth, and Davey isn't missing over the plate. Gio gets paid to win games, Davey gets paid to win pennants.

155. UnkyD - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Love the kitty, Sofa … One batter too many for Smiley…

156. Will - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:31 PM

157. Will - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Generally I like Davey a lot, (full disclosure: I hated Riggleman) but he really likes to stick with the starter a bit too much, in my opinion.

158. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Davey said he is going to start leaving guys in longer. This isn't the last hot day we are going to have. Yes, this one is before an off-day, but they won't all be. Some days it will be hot and the bullpen will be tired. You put him in for one batter in the 6th, if he gets an easy out, fine. If not, Stammen is ready.

159. Will - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM

This is an illustration, though, of how fortuitous it's been to get the bats going.

160. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Gio has to change his approach. The league has the book on him to take the first pitch. Add to that his killer curve hasn't worked for several weeks.McCatty needs to get to work on some adjustments.I am concerned. Barely making it out of 5 innings recently isnt the same Gio I saw in April and May.

161. Will - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM

NatsLady – Co-sign. He shoulda been done after the walk.

162. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I'm saying keep him in the yard, yes: nibble if you want to call it that, and if not, then get the next guy, and avoid a big inning. When your control is on the way out, but you still have to get outs, don't be wild within the strike zone to a power hitter. He can walk two guys and it's only one run, but hang one, and now they are back in. Of course, if you don't get anybody out, it doesn't matter.

163. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Cameron, have to agree (and I don't mean CMW, but there have been others). I like Davey, but he's definitely not perfect.

164. Will - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

This would be a great time for Bryce to do some All-Star campaigning.

165. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Thanks, Nats Lady, for the O's pathetic attendance numbers.Ball-mer: First in crabcakes, and last in just about everything else … except leading the league in rusted-out 1977 Olds Cutlasses.

166. Will - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Annnd jinx. My bad, guys.

167. A DC Wonk - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

For those complaining about Dabey leaving Gio in — when the fifth ended did a single one of us say "go to the bullpen right now"?In fact I was thinking " let get the lefty out first"Our hindsight is pretty sharp, eh?

168. Will - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Wonk, I don't know about you, but I was screaming it at my TV after the first walk.

169. Will - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Okay, fellas, this is no time to go back to our usual hitting ways.

170. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM

NatsLady, Davey says a lot of things. Stras was done after 3 yesterday. Plans change to the circumstances.Here's the circumstances: 100+ degrees and a day off tomorrow with 5 innings in the books and almost 100 pitches thrown gets a day complete with a 6-1 in the books.

171. Will - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Okay, let's get this guy now before we possibly see Venters in the 8th.

172. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Ghost, I agree Davey says a lot of things. In this case, I agree with Gio starting the 6th. Just don't agree with him staying in after the walk.

173. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Davey gets paid to know when the hook should come, and the hook shoulda come after five.Sorta. Was it Bill Veeck? who said he could get a dozen people out of the stands on any given day who could run a game–the manager's job is to run the team.

174. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

DC Wonk, read my comment at 2:41. I dont talk in hindsight.

175. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

All that said, yeah, I'd probably have pulled him after the walk, too.

176. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

NatsLady, I like clean innings. Go to Stammen for 2 then Burnie and Clip and protect the 5 run lead.

177. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM

My problem witg Gio is….is he the guy that struggled through 3 innings throwing all those pitches or the guy who breezed through innings 4 & 5?It's all about throwing strikes early in the count and getting the quick outs.

178. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

great K by Stammen of Bourn.

179. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Oh, Bernie. You were brought in for DEFENSE.

180. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I agree Soul….he should have never had the opportunity to walk the second guy.

181. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM

"That's a ball that Roger'll tell you he shoulda caught."Yeah, he's not the only one.

182. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I wasn't talking in hindsight either. I tweeted beforehand Gio should come in for one batter and see how that goes.

183. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Good Job By Craig to get out of that. What was Bernie thinking? Seriously, as NatsLady said.. DEFENSE!

184. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM

There has got to be a way a guy like Stammen can be an All-Star.

185. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Well, hindsight isn't all bad. Time only goes in one direction. "I told you so" is always in hindsight, by definition.

186. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM

well no damage done. six more outs to go before we win another series.

187. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Jeez, Ankiel makes it look easy. If only he could hit!

188. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

There has got to be a way a guy like Stammen can be an All-Star."like Stammen" in what way?

189. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I love watching Stammen as a reliever. I've been calling him "Bull Dog" for almost 3 seasons now.

190. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Soul, LOL. You know, a "long reliever" who is not a mop-up man.

191. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Fillies lost again. They have to be sellers. Do you want to rent Victorino for a coupla months?

192. baseballswami - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Rick Ankiel should spend the entire off season learning to hit. I know he was a pitcher and so he is not as experienced at it, but if he could just hit…… As for the attendance in Atlanta. I know it's hot, but it's a division thing. Isn't it?

193. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:07 PM

He does know how to hit, he just isn't doing it. He'd rather swing hard in case he hits it.

194. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Burnett, be careful. Here is where those three runs could cost a lot!!!

195. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Did I mention I'm kind of over Rick?

196. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Um, no. Watching Bernie and Morse in the outfield, and even Harper, no, I am NOT over Rick.

197. Soul Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Sean, OTOH … well, they're both lefties, so maybe they're on the same hand, but still.

198. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM

And I give you–Sean Burnett!

199. natsfan1a - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

aaaaand exhale

200. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I am not over Burnett, that's for sure. Remember first half last season and how terrible he was. Great to see him in that pen.I did see Ank's second at bat against Hudson. I don't think anything was in a strikezone on that strikeout.