Jul 3, 2012, 8:12 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann faces Tim Lincecum tonight at Nationals Park.
It's a sizzling late afternoon in July in the nation's capital, and it'll be a little warmer than usual when Jordan Zimmermann takes the mound for the start of tonight's game against the Giants, with a rare 6:35 p.m. first pitch. The Nationals did this to give everyone a few extra minutes of sleep tonight before we reconvene early tomorrow morning for the really rare, 11:05 a.m. Independence Day game. (A sign in the clubhouse today said batting practice begins at 6 a.m. I think it was a joke, though I'm not positive about that.)
This series features some great pitching matchups, starting with tonight's showdown between Zimmermann (who actually boasts the best ERA in the Nats' rotation, better than All-Stars Stephen Strasburg or Gio Gonzalez) and Tim Lincecum. The two-time NL Cy Young Award winner is having a baffling season, as evidenced by his 3-8 record and 5.60 ERA. But he is coming off a fantastic outing against the Dodgers — seven scoreless innings — so the old Timmy may be back.
I'll have some rehab updates on Drew Storen, Henry Rodriguez, Chad Tracy and Xavier Nady shortly, as well as the latest on Bryce Harper's chances to make the All-Star team. In the meantime, check back here for game updates later on…
SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 6:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Partly cloudy, 95 degrees, Wind 5 mph in from CF
LF Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Non-tendered players could interest Nats
- Yankees, Ellsbury near $153M, 7-yr deal
- Fister "excited" about trade to Nationals
- Rizzo discusses Fister trade and more Nats news
- Hard not to like Fister trade for Nationals
- Nats re-sign Ohlendorf, tender contracts to 8 others
- Nats acquire Fister in 4-player trade with Tigers
- Pirates acquire catcher Chris Stewart from Yankees
- Nationals face non-tender deadline
- Washington Nationals minor league spotlight: Matt Purke