Game 79: Giants at Nats

Jul 4, 2012, 1:30 PM EST

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
It's Independence Day at Nationals Park, and we've got morning baseball.

Here's something I'm not sure I've ever typed before: Good morning from the ballpark! Yes, we've got an extremely rare starting time today, with first pitch scheduled for 11:05 a.m. The Nats' thinking behind all this: Give fans a chance to attend the game, clear out of town and still have time for a Fourth of July cookout before heading back out for fireworks. (We'll see how that translates into tickets sold, though I suspect it would be a big crowd today regardless of the starting time.)

It'll be Edwin Jackson against Madison Bumgarner, so the Nationals counter with a right-handed-heavy lineup that includes Tyler Moore at first base and Mark DeRosa in right field.

Hope everyone enjoys a fun and safe Independence Day, whether here at the ballpark or at home with friends and family. Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 11:05 a.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, MLB Network (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Partly cloudy, 89 degrees, Wind 8 mph LF to RF

2B Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
LF Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. baseballswami - Jul 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I am ready, coffee in hand. How about you? Go Nats!!!!!

2. m20832 - Jul 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I'm with you baseballswami! Coffee in one hand cigar in the other! :-)GYFNG!!!!

3. SonnyG10 - Jul 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I'll be watching MASN on TV today. Let's get'em again boys!!! GYFNG!!!

4. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

TyMo!!!!

5. MicheleS - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Hot dogs for breakfast!! At the park with friends!! No better way to celebrate the 4th!GYFNG!!!

6. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I was a bit surprised when the Giants pulled Messrs. Cabrera, Sandoval, and Posey so early last night, effectively throwing in the towel on game one in the fifth inning (if memory serves) to — presumably — focus on games two and three. Given that both teams had an off-day on Monday and that we're still only at the season's half-way point, that struck me as premature (even given the Nats' big lead).

7. baseballswami - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM

And apparently the Giants came here a day early to adjust.

8. NCNatsie - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM

MEMO TO: E. JACKSONFROM: D. JOHNSONFYI, THE ALTITUDE OF NATIONALS STADIUM IS 16 FEET ABOVE SEA LEVEL. HAVE A GOOD DAY.

9. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Eugene, time will tell. Davey went with his starters into the bottom of the 9th after the long rain delay. Bochy was too early and Davey waited too long. Niche conceded the game in the 6th.

10. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Meant bottom of the 8th

11. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Sandy Leon is officially off the DL and back w/ Harrisburg. Glad he is healthy again, he was the emergency call up since Solano was on Syracuse's DL when Ramos tore his ACL. Great to see all this catching depth, even after the departure of Norris.

12. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Norris BTW is doing well during his first 2 weeks up:.333/.375/.533 with 2 HRs & 6 RBIs in 8 games & 30 ABs

13. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:37 PM

NCNatsie….That means Edwin needs to keep his pitches at no more than 18' above sea level because it was the elevation of his pitches that killed him in Denver.

14. baseballswami - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Ejax is due to have a good game . We need a strong run up to the break. Miami for 4 after the break in their place.

15. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM

anyone catch Reid's editorial:ReidI know there are some who would like to land Greinke, even as a rental for the rest of the season and others who strongly oppose. I fall into the latter category, what I don't understand from Reid is why he didn't offer any specific scenarios. Instead, he was very general in what the team should offer for Greinke. There really are only a handful of sports jockeys and columnist who know the Nats. I wish writers / DJs like Reid would not feel obligated to cover the Nats and just leave it to the experts.

16. Davide - Jul 4, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Wow!I like this starting time!finally I can follows the Nats in the afternoon(it's 5p.m. here)!Go Nats!!!!

17. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Is it me or does beer taste different at 11:00 AM?

18. lls45 - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:06 PM

CN, completely agree with you on Reid and Greinke. Going into the postseason with Gio, JZimm, EJax, and Det would be a rotation most teams would kill for.

19. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM

5 pitch walk

20. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM

CN,I don't have a problem with Jason Reid not offering specific scenarios (in terms of whom the Nats might have to give up to get Zack Greinke). But the real question is whether the Nats would be getting a three-month 'rental' or whether the deal included a longer-term contract (or contract extension). And I assume that a longer-term deal would mean that Edwin Jackson would be moving on after this year (or even earlier, perhaps?). One point where I agree with Mr. Reid is that acquiring Mr. Greinke would deny him to the Braves (or Phillies), which would be an added advantage of such a move. I'm not quite ready to advocate for such a trade, but I don't see it as far-fetched either.

21. baseballswami - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Are we worried yet? Watching Bryce go after that ball in the outfield- he has very long strides, gets there quickly and looks smooth out there. Good news as we may need it today.

22. baseballswami - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Now we're worried. Come on, offense!

23. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Leadoff walks will kill you. That has nothing to do with altitude.

24. m20832 - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Why can't EJax get out of the first inning without giving up runs? Any opinions?

25. Davide - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM

11 millions of "why??"… -.-"

26. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I'm guessing Bryce may have problems with this lefty.

27. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I have no say in it, I think Greinke is too inconsistent and won't fit into the clubhouse here. That's my 2 cents.Go after Dempster if he comes back healthy or Wandy.

28. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Gonat…..If Greinke wasn't a good clubhouse guy, Rizzo would never have gone after him last Winter.

29. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM

NatsJack, don't be so sure.

30. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Zim drilled one, unfortunately, Bum did his best goalie impression and prevented it from going into CF for an RBI single. instead, it's a 1-3 groundout…

31. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Absent specific evidence to the contrary, I'm with NatsJack on that one. Rizzo has been really consistent, and successful, on that point.

32. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Zim runs like a catcher now.

33. Section 222 - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM

DeRosa is actually making me miss Michael Morse in RF…

34. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Eugene,I find it hard to believe that the Nats are going to offer the $140M it may take to tie down Greinke long-term. As I type that, Giants get a one-out double roped over DeRosa's head in RF.

35. slidell2 - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM

m20832: One would think something related to his pre-game prep. Not looking at(or digesting)film, scouting reports would be one guess. Just doesn't seem ready to go. Or, maybe just good old-fashioned nerves.

36. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Wow, that was a catchable ball by Crawford over DeRosa.

37. Section 222 - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Kind of funny to read the comments about Bochy cashing it in last night after reading the story about the minor league coach who was suspended for a year for throwing a game in the 17th inning because he didn't want to risk injury to position players who had to pitch. Double standard anyone?

38. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Sofa,Morse has made plenty of plays using every bit of his 6'5+ frame. Morse might very well have had that it his glove.

39. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Have I mentioned that I like this Solano kid?

40. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Greinke hasnt had issues the Brewers. He supposedly did with the Royals. Still, he is inconsistent and not good on the road.

41. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Hopefully this is where EJax begins to settle down, since this will be his 2nd time thru the lineup. He gets out of a jam there, time for the bottom half of the lineup to generate some offense in the 2nd.

42. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Double standard anyone? Well, not really the same. Teams have come back with their bench in the game. There was that Cubs game earlier in the season, where they blew a big lead. Ask the Brewers. As I understand it, the manager in that minor league game told his position player, who was pitching, to deliberately balk in the winning run. I see a qualitative difference there.

43. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Wow, that's a bad AB. Struck out AND got picked off.

44. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Morse has made plenty of plays using every bit of his 6'5+ frame. Morse might very well have had that it his glove. Maybe. The trouble there was the lack of a jump, and a bad route, neither of which is Morse's strong suit. And another really forgettable AB, 3U on a check swing "whoopsie." Man, I hope he gets back on track soon.

45. JD - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Gonat, You don't have to worry about it. The Nats don't have the pieces it takes to get Greinke who is just about the best pitcher in the NL (with the possible exception of Dickey).

46. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Why does the home team look tired? Disappointed EJax didn't come out firing. He got home early last night. He shouldn't be tired.

47. phil dunton - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:54 PM

48. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Really mind-boggling how effective EJax is after the first time thru the lineup. Night & Day. They should have him pitch batting practice to the opposing team to get rid of the yips…

49. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM

JD, don't quote me WAR.

50. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:57 PM

OK, let's go get something! GYFNG

51. JD - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Gonat, OK, what do you want to use ? W/L – check. ERA – check. K/BB – check, HR per 9 innings – check. let me guess; the eye test.

52. baseballswami - Jul 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Nothing new with Ejax. His past performance shows a very high era in the first. Just takes him a while to get the feel. You just hope he doen't give up too much and hope your offense can overcome it. We need some hits..

53. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM

JD…..I'm with you on Greinke but you have to admit, the home/road splits are pretty strange.

54. JD - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM

btw Gonat. why not WAR?

55. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Nats are going for the record of least pitches thrown by opposing pitcher.

56. Section 222 - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Teams have come back with their bench in the game…. I see a qualitative difference there. Well, obviously there's a difference. But Bochy thought it was better to protect and rest his players by essentially giving up on the game. It was clear what he was doing and everyone thinks its fine. Heck, NL thinks that Davey tosses in the towel regularly when he uses the back end of our bullpen. Yet, this poor guy who thought it was better to protect his young, minor league players by giving up on the game, gets banned from the dugout for a year. Whatever difference there is doesn't merit such a draconian sanction.

57. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:03 PM

maybe not. two, two-out singles by Espi and Harper for Zimm.

58. Section 222 - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Derosa is the Matt Stairs of 2012… Rizzo must dig really deep into the dumpster to find these turkeys.But but but, didn't you see that good hit last night??

59. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I thought that was a no-doubter by Zim.

60. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Steve, so did Zim.

61. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:06 PM

surprised harper did not score from first. good to see we got one back, let's keep going.

62. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Nats making Bumgarner work in this inning.

63. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:12 PM

DESI does it again with 2 outs and a runner on 3rd. That is the definition of clutch.

64. NatsNutty - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Desi for President!!!!

65. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Way to pick them up, Dessie!! No harm done on the missed HR by Zim. That's 5 straight runners reaching w/ 2 outs!

66. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:13 PM

there is no such thing as clutch hitting in baseball. :Panyways, good to see our number four pitcher is keeping up with their #2 pitcher.

67. JD - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Nice 2 out rally against a good pitcher.

68. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM

FP with some great intel. He just said that Bumgarner woke up this morning at 7:30AM and he did the same yesterday to get used to time zone and early start.The heat and long inning got to him.TyMo seems different to me since he got picked off last week. Anyone else think so?

69. baseballswami - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM

New game!

70. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I won't be greedy but TyMo had him on the ropes.

71. baseballswami - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Is it my imagination or have the Nats been really clutch with 2 outs this year?

72. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Desi now batting .326 with 2 outs and RISP. That is clutch. I don't have the stats on whether or not that leads the Majors. Is ELIAS listening?

73. Section 222 - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Sweet clutch hitting from Desmond. Wow. Zim misses a 3 run bomb by inches, but Desi comes through.

74. baseballswami - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I just feel like Jackson works a little slow.

75. Old Wino - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Nice to see the bats still alive.

76. baseballswami - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Solano is pretty good. Nice DP!!!

77. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Steve, I just quoted you on Twitter. I see the Nats Twitter also did. Coincidence?

78. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Ejax missed his spot inside by laying one over the plate. No matter, it's a 4-6-3 inning ending DP on a great scoop on a hard it ball.EJax is miraculously at 16 pitches/inning thru 4 after a horrific first.

79. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Now that the Nats have gotten back in the game, those posters that only come out when they are losing can go back to lurking.

80. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I didn't know Solano before, I am starting to now. I want to see him more. I see him as a possible 1A. Expect 3 catchers on the Nats roster in September.

81. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM

NatsJack, don't stir them up. Most of them don't have power.

82. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Actually, there has only been one of those posters today.

83. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:31 PM

84. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:31 PM

85. baseballswami - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Solano!!!!!!!

86. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM

The Nats also like Leon a lot, but he needs more seasoning. That said, the Onion puts the Nats on top!!!!

87. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Did I mention I like this Solano kid?

88. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Wow!!! Ejax takes a huge swing. Would've been something if he went back to back w/ Solano.

89. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Funny that most of us were wondering about what the Nats would do after trading Norris. C is still well-stocked, the backstop is in good hands, my friends.

90. phil dunton - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Solano should get more playing time. He is a better hitter than Flores.

91. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM

NatsJack, I learned that living in the Pacific. Generators are our friends. Even when you have power, somebody else doesn't.

92. baseballswami - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM

So he is only 5 ' 9 ". Tons of energy. I have talked a lo about the three rookie position players, but we have 4 really good ones. That is just amazing!

93. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM

No need to trade fo a veteran backup catcher. Solano is great @ calling the game and protecting the ball from going to the backstop. He's got a great bat too.

94. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM

95. MicheleS - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Cooling rooms by Section 202 are a godsend.

96. phil dunton - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Yogi Berra was only 5'7'".

97. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Ghost……2004 here in Central Florida convinced me to invest in a whole house generator. July 04, 2012 12:31 PM I have a portable generator at my main residence and it has multiple outlets. One goes to DirecTV, one to my TV, one to my fridge. On the road, I use cell service to power my MLB.TV and a technology called Slingbox which allows me to watch MASN on my laptop.

98. JD - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM

phil, Solano has had 27 PA's. Maybe too soon to declare him a better hitter than Flores.

99. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Morse has an uncanny ability to get to the ball. He's a lumbering mofo out there, but he seems to make the play more often than not, even with a bad hammy.

100. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Two years ago in Fall Instructs., Solano was 6th on the depth charts not counting guys like Maldonaldo, or the guys on the 40 man. He's impressed me in all phases but mostly for how he positions himself like Yadier Molina. Observe how low he stays and gives the umpire a clear view of the pitch. July 04, 2012 12:38 PM I like his comfort level with the pitchers. Its a confidence. That's what I really like about Ramos. The HR was a bonus.

101. JD - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Solano has looked better than I had anticipated but before you know he's the real deal you have to see what happens after the league has seen him for 2 to 3 months. This is why it's still early to conclude on TyMo; he's still a work in progress.

102. JD - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Ghost, Good observations re Solano.

103. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Ghost ……mine provides 400 amp service and is on an auromatic transfer switch.When you work as the construction guy for an Architect that specializes in Police, Fire, and Emergency Ops Centers, you have an advantage in getting stuff.

104. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:46 PM

If EJax could start inning #1 like his middle innings, he would look like an Ace.

105. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Nice, through mid-5 with the lead!

106. baseballswami - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:48 PM

So about the catchers/ pitchers. I was watching last night and it appears that JZim has started calling his own game. I have seen our pitchers just throw whatever the catcher puts down, the game goes pretty quickly then. Does anyone know if our pitchers generally do/do not call their own games? Or if they only do it with Solano and let Flo call their games? My observation has been that Strasburg and Jordan are the only ones consistently calling their own game with both catchers at this point. Anyone know anything about that ?

107. JD - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Edwin is pitching really well now. He has a 1st inning problem in that it takes him an inning to get a feel for his pitches but he usually bounces back if the damage isn't too bad. I was hoping for 7 innings from him today but it looks more like 6 now. Happy 4th everyone !!!

108. Section 222 - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:48 PM

NJ, Ghost, and everyone else who enjoys insulting negative commenters whenever the Nats play well — lay off. You're boring. At most, the Nats will win 60% of their games, and our hitters will succeed 3 out of 10 times. You'll be "proven" wrong just as often as they will. I like a difference of opinion here, not just a cheering section.

109. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:48 PM

JD said… Ghost,Good observations re Solano. July 04, 2012 12:42 PM Its truly amazing for a Rookie thrust into this. I want to see him 2 days a week. Just 2. Let's see how he does.

110. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:49 PM

111. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Bryce Harper is the Rookie I really like. Bryce must think its Sunday. 2 hits in another day game.

112. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:52 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Gonat……I've come to expect the 1st inning stuff from EJax….3 is about as bad as I can handle and I consider 1 a good first inning. July 04, 2012 12:49 PM JZim was once that way. The Cat had him throw a simulated 1st inning. It certainly cuts your day shorter but it has to be worth trying something different.EJax's Ace game against the Orioles was due to getting thru the 1st quickly and 1-2-3.

113. MicheleS - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:52 PM

ZIMMY!!!

114. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Sound the horn!!!! Holiday time for Zim!!!!

115. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Wow, I thought that was dbl in the gap, instead, it's a line drive homer over the RF scoreboard!!!!

116. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM

This is a beast of a pitching staff our guys are facing too, mind you!

117. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM

That makes it official…..Zim is back…..and I mean ALL the way back.

118. JD - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Zim is getting locked in. Good news for Nats nation !!

119. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Is this really Bum? LOL we are HOT as the weather right now.

120. Old Wino - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:53 PM

These guys are hittin'…. ( captain obvious )

121. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Back 2 Back!!!

122. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM

BEAST MODE!!!! Bumgarner's road ERA is taking a beating & his regular ERA is toast.

123. MicheleS - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM

GORSE Hacking!

124. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Murderer's row…Harper, Zimmerman, Morse

125. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Back to back fireworks!!!!

126. phil dunton - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM

The Beast!!!!

127. Candide - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Holy crap, these guys are scary!

128. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Too bad this team is so dependent on pitching….If only they could hit.

129. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:59 PM

early fireworks!!

130. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:59 PM

NatsJack, yeah, Rizzo is running this team into the ground by not benching Zim & Espi. Morse is clearly showing the effects of missing the first 2 months of the season too.Trust me, I get disappointed when our team doesn't produce. Fact of the matter is, this team is competing and the team is filled with a roster full of guys 27 & under, which gives us a lot of hope.You'd swear we were in the Phillies position by reading some of the posts on here.

131. Candide - Jul 4, 2012 at 4:59 PM

NatsJack in Florida said…Too bad this team is so dependent on pitching….If only they could hit.Well, everyone knows their batting coach is teh sux.

132. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Just wish TyMo can find that stroke. Not good that he is struggling. It was bound to happen. Not getting regular starts.

133. Section 222 - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:00 PM

My head is spinning. Who would have thought we'd beat up both Lincecum and Bumgarner? Matt Cain, you're next! This lineup is on fire. And what a great time for the bats to come alive. E-Jax and JZnn, both hard luck starters so far this year, must be pinching themselves.

134. JD - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Now take DeRosa out of this lineup and insert Werth; platoon Brown with TyMo and have Lombo spell Espi, Desi and Zim. No need to trade for any more bats; just 1 more pitcher to take the SS slot and we have a shot to go far.

135. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM

136. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Cain is much more experienced and has been a better pitcher this season than Bum and Timmy. Having said that our offense has been on fire since that trip to Coors and that cortisone shot for Zim. Wish he had done that sooner.

137. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Bumgarner's ERA from 2.79 at the bottom of the 2nd to 3.27 at the bottom of the 5th.EJax with a leadoff walk can't make Davey happy.

138. baseballswami - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:05 PM

No need to start putting people on , Edwin. This game is far from out of reach for a good hitting , first place team like the Giants. Hold it together.

139. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Faraz, don't we all. What a difference.

140. phil dunton - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:07 PM

JD. I agree that Solano has only had limited at bats. However, he has a nice, aggressive swing with good results. He does not swing at bad pitches. I think it is prudent off of what we have seen to play him more than once or twice a week.

141. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Firm, I don't know exactly what you said and it doesn't matter. I am laughing.

142. Candide - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa said…some tendentious hotel will post a long exegesis…Two questions:1) Is that the first time ever that those two words have appeared in a baseball blog post…?2) Is that something I have to hit you for?

143. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:10 PM

phil, some teams may not even have a scouting report on Solano. Keep that in mind. Get excited about his defense and you won't be disappointed. The offense is a bonus.

144. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Traveling solo, I once stayed in a tendentious hotel in Jackson, Mississippi. I will never do that again.

145. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Time for DeRosa to take a seat once the Giants bring in the RH pitcher.

146. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Rough game for DeRosa. I'm still sticking to my guns that Morse would've made those two tough plays out there b/c of his length.

147. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM

What do they say about lead-off walks?

148. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I don't know, but wouldn't Tendentious Hotel make a good name for a rock band?Go ahead and hit me if you like, I'll take my base and steal another one.Man, DeRosa is killing EJax out there. Another very catchable ball. Pretty sure Morse would have gotten to that.

149. phil dunton - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Harper would have caught that ball in RF.

150. Candide - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I love that Geico possum commercial.

151. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Love having a plethora of lefties in the 'pen for just games like this.

152. Candide - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM

phil dunton said… Harper would have caught that ball in RF.Harper would have caught that ball even if he'd been playing LEFT field.

153. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Two lead-off walks lead to two runs by the Giants. EJax otherwise showed great control in the game. Two bad he couldn't go six and be PH for in the bottom of the inning.

154. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM

phil dunton said… Harper would have caught that ball in RF. July 04, 2012 1:12 PM Still a tough play although DeRosa was playing plenty deep.

155. Section 222 - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Harper would have caught that ball in RF.So would Morse. So would Bernadina. Lucky for us, DeRosa made the last out in the last inning, so he can be doubleswitched.

156. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM

157. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM

somebody tell me we got a guy in derosa who cant hit or catch. Horrible effort. this aint over. This aint little league not everyone has to play.

158. Candide - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Tendentious.Exegesis.Plethora.A very erudite group here today.

159. Candide - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa said… Wow, "tendentious hotel" is a thing. Go figure. Just don't click on any of the links if you google it.If those aren't spam traps, there's no such animal.

160. realdealnats - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I'm not a Gorzo hater by any means, but I was holding my breath on a 3 run homer… Good work Gorzo.

161. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM

A very erudite group here today. Well-educated, too.

162. realdealnats - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM

In a similar vein, I actually hold out hope for Henry, and last night was a great way to slowly break him in, but keep him away from the mound today!

163. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Gorzo!!! Bochy with his first managerial mistake.

164. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:22 PM

No consistencey from this umpire. That miss catch by Dagrossnis changed momentum. gotta get it back here.

165. phil dunton - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Ghost, It isn't like Flores is a hitting machine. His offense is marginal at best. I am nonly saying Solano should get more playing time because he has produced. If he fades, then we go back to playing him once a week.

166. realdealnats - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:23 PM

And Sofa covers the gamut from exegesis to pulling a hotel move on somebody. Gotta love it.

167. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Pretty sure I've mentioned it already. Like this Cebolla kid.

168. m20832 - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Solano again! Nice stolen base!

169. realdealnats - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I'm gettin in the mood to listen to Lefty and Pancho…

170. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Onion Ambush! Man, this is good stuff.

171. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Wait, that's not duct tape on Solano's wrist, is it?

172. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM

173. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Onion powder, uh I mean power.

174. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Pancho and LeftyHere ya go! Kind of a downer song, though.

175. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:36 PM

DeRosa made that play! Nice 1-2-3

176. CN - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:36 PM

To DeRosa:"Just when I think you couldn't sink any lower, you do something… and totally redeem yourself!"-Lloyd Christmas

177. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM

DeRosa is starting to get the hang of it, maybe?Did I mention I like this, too?Not much of a segue from Townes Van Zant, but it's eclectic in here. Must be the heat.

178. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Gonat said… Davey went for the knockout punch with Espi instead of busting. Nothing to show for that. July 04, 2012 1:31 PM Its the calculated risk in this game. Bunt them and let Bryce do his thing with men on 2nd and 3rd or play for the big inning.The risk of Espi hitting into a DP was a small risk and it happened.Oh well, get 'em in the 7th.

179. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Can Cliff Lee get his 1st win today? Hate to pull for the Philthies but I will today against the Mets. 0-0 into the bottom of their 3rd.

180. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Davey with the athletic outfield. Glad to see that! Burnie and Bernie in the game!

181. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM

The Phils can beat the Mets' bullpen, Ghost. Works for me.

182. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM

If Burnie could teach Gio that slider, Gio would be the best lefty starter in the Majors.

183. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:50 PM

No love for Solano on MLB's front page. I mean he also homered off of Bum. Should mention his name also.

184. realdealnats - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Sofa-Lefty & Pancho/Pancho & Lefty…my Spanish ain't so good.Downer you're right and I love Booker T much better to boot. Donald Duck Dunn just passed I believe. Love that Stax sound. Did you ever youtube that Norway show with Booker T and the MGs as the band backing Otis, and Arthur Conley, and Sam & Dave? Same & Dave dance incredibly through a 7 minute+ version of Hold On.

185. realdealnats - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Hitting for the cycle here…

186. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Nice 8th by the Nats. Burnett doing his thing.

187. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Did I mention Chris Young with a Perfect Game in the 4th. The Philthies really do look like a last place team.

188. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Chris Young's Perfect Game and no hitter just ended.

189. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 4, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Let's make this a non-save situation.

190. Gonat - Jul 4, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Good jinx on Chris Young.

191. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Ank the Tank!!!!

192. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM

And that's almost exactly what I meant.

193. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM

If only the Nats had a bench.

194. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Lefty & Pancho/Pancho & Lefty…my Spanish ain't so good.Maybe, but you're encendido! That's funny.As is Rick Ankiel! Surface! Surface!

195. MicheleS - Jul 4, 2012 at 6:02 PM

ANK!!! JUST AMAZED BY THE OFFENSE!

196. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 6:03 PM

NatsJack, you wrote exactly what I was thinking. Bernadina w/ a single. Ankiel with a HR. Solano with a great game. OK, TyMo has struggled. JayB can complain about that.

197. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Oh, and he will.

198. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM

OK, TyMo has struggled. JayB can complain about that. That's what 222 was talking about, wasn't it?

199. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Clay Hensley won't be available tomorrow. Threw 21 pitches. Giants using up a lot of relievers and didn't have to pitch the 9th last night and probably won't have to today.

200. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM

My next event of the day is watching the continuing implosion that is taking place in the Marlins locker room. Can't wait to watch the Fish/Brew Crew game today.