Jul 4, 2012, 3:09 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond clubbed his 14th homer of the season to lead the Nats' attack.
Game in a nutshell: What looked like an intriguing pitching matchup between Jordan Zimmermann and two-time Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum instead turned into a lopsided Nationals victory. A lineup that has resurrected itself over the last week did it again, this time pounding out eight runs off Lincecum in only 3 1/3 innings. Among the biggest hits: Danny Espinosa's RBI double off the center-field wall, Zimmermann's RBI double into the right-field corner, Adam LaRoche's RBI double to deep center and then Ian Desmond's two-run bomb into the left-field bleachers. All of that gave Zimmermann a healthy cushion, and the right-hander cruised through six-plus innings before the rain started falling and brought the tarp onto the field. After a delay of 1 hour and 25 minutes — during which it actually rained for only 10 minutes — the Nats closed this one out and improved to 14 games over .500.
Hitting highlight: Take your pick from the Nationals' lineup, because just about everyone contributed to this one. But let's go with Desmond,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge