Jul 4, 2012, 3:09 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond clubbed his 14th homer of the season to lead the Nats' attack.
Game in a nutshell: What looked like an intriguing pitching matchup between Jordan Zimmermann and two-time Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum instead turned into a lopsided Nationals victory. A lineup that has resurrected itself over the last week did it again, this time pounding out eight runs off Lincecum in only 3 1/3 innings. Among the biggest hits: Danny Espinosa's RBI double off the center-field wall, Zimmermann's RBI double into the right-field corner, Adam LaRoche's RBI double to deep center and then Ian Desmond's two-run bomb into the left-field bleachers. All of that gave Zimmermann a healthy cushion, and the right-hander cruised through six-plus innings before the rain started falling and brought the tarp onto the field. After a delay of 1 hour and 25 minutes — during which it actually rained for only 10 minutes — the Nats closed this one out and improved to 14 games over .500.
Hitting highlight: Take your pick from the Nationals' lineup, because just about everyone contributed to this one. But let's go with Desmond,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg throws but offers no update
- Harper's career day puts him in elite company in baseball history
- Bryce Harper on curtain call: I didn't want to go up there
- Behind Harper power surge, Nats outlast Marlins
- Harper goes yard for 3 HR's against Marlins
- New Nats veteran reliever reports to minor league affiliate
- Nats' reliever Casey Janssen ready for big step in rehab
- Werth sidelined again with "cranky" shoulder
- Strasburg hopes chiropractor can fix shoulder
- Aaron Barrett joins STL to discuss Nats recent success