Game 80: Giants at Nats

Jul 5, 2012, 7:38 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats go for the sweep tonight at Nationals Park.

It's been a while since the Nationals last played a ballgame under anything less than extreme conditions, and it doesn't appear that's going to change anytime soon. The thermometer is approaching triple digits today and will still read in the high 90s when Ross Detwiler takes the mound for tonight's series finale against the Giants.

Detwiler handled the heat well last weekend in Atlanta, carrying a shutout into the seventh before he finally faded. If their No. 5 starter can continue pitching like that, the Nationals will gladly take it.

They'll also take as much offense as they can get, but this red-hot lineup will face a stiff challenge tonight in Matt Cain, who is three weeks removed from his perfect game but did get hit around by the Reds his last time out.

It's Turn Back the Clock Night here. Both teams will be wearing replica 1924 uniforms, and there will be other old-timey quirks at the ballpark. Here at the Insider, though, we're all 21st century, so please check back for the usual live updates and analysis…

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, MLB Network (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 89
Weather: Partly cloudy, 96 degrees, Wind 9 mph LF to RF

LF Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
RF Michael Morse

1. natsfan1a - Jul 5, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Go, Det! Go, NATS BATS!

2. ptindc - Jul 5, 2012 at 7:49 PM

3. ptindc - Jul 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Count me as one who is interested in seeing what we have in Tyler Moore. No disrespect to Lombo, but Moore can be a game-changer. I'd start him in LF regularly until Werth gets back.

4. baseballswami - Jul 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Heard Bruce Bochey on 106.7 today really complaining about the heat. Says it's the first series this year they have had it, but he thinks they are finally acclimated for tonight. He picked RossD for the Taiwan trip and really likes him. Good guy, doesn't think his guys pitched all that bad, thinks our hitters were good. Likes the way Bryce plays.That being said — Go Nats!! Go Ross! I think he is from St. Louis and it's plenty hot there in the summer. Although this summer seems to be more challenging than usual. At least it's an evening game. Hoping for short, low-stress innings and early offense for us.

5. JD - Jul 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Tough match up tonight. Their no. 1 against our no. 5. A win here is a real good statement.

6. Pete - Jul 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I'd like a visual on these throwback unis.

7. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:00 PM

It's 4 PM–do you know where your all-star is?

8. Jimmy - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:03 PM

A win here and I really like our chances of entering the ASB close to 19 games over .500 after a nice win streak. I really can't believe that is a possibility at this point in the year – but here we are. What a ball club we get to watch here.(On a side-note: the Nationals have one more fan as of two days ago, when my daughter was born just a few hours before we started clobbering Lincecum. As they say around here: woooooo hoooooooo!).

9. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Congrats, Papa Jimmy!

10. natsfan1a - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Congrats on the new fan arrival, Jimmy!

11. natsfan1a - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Er, I owe you another beverage, sec3.

12. NCNatsie - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:08 PM

WooHoo indeed, Jimmy. I've got two of 'em. They're the best. Mucho congrats.

13. Section 222 - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Keeping my expectations down for this one. Our No. 5 vs. their No. 1 and all that. And we've already won the series, wihch is fantastic. Hoping we feast on the Rockies though. A sweep there going in the ASG would be very sweet.

14. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I don't think that counts, 1a; Multiple Congratulations Rule there.Marlins still up 1-0 v. Milw. Man, that Carlos Lee is a baseball player, and I mean that in the John Kruk sense of the term.

15. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Me, I'm expecting another Nats blowout. FWIW. WTH. GYFNG. YMMV.LSMFT.

16. #4 - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Congrats, Jimmy. Nothing like having a daughter. Much peace, joy, and happiness to you and your family.The only problem with playing TyMo against RHP is that the nats then have no lead-off hitter – unless Davey benches Espi. I think he's actually starting to heat up from that side of the plate, but he's still not a lead-off hitter. Lombo's the only choice.

17. LoveDaNats - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Congrats, Jimmy! Nothing better than that.

18. #4 - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Two LF's again.

19. Laddie Blah Blah - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Until his comedy of errors against the Braves last weekend, Det had gone 11 straight innings without allowing a run, with just a handful of scattered hits. And then, the HBP on a slow curve to a guy he had down 1-2, the sacrifice bunt he picked up and then dropped, the obvious balk for no apparent reason, and then a hanging cookie to a slap hitter (Simmons) who barely cleared the LF wall for a HR to tie the game.Until that meltdown, he had been dominant in his 2 starts since replacing CMW. I suspect he is anxious to atone for last weekend, and will not blow another 4-run lead, should the offense give him one tonight.

20. NatsLady - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Nats playing two left-fielders again? Guess they've figured out how the Giants hit.

21. Laddie Blah Blah - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Oh, Jimmy, lucky Dada!

22. NatsLady - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Carlos Lee batting .500 (2 for 4). So, the Fish got two runs. Now, if the pitching doesn't meltdown, they're set. Oh, right, the pitching…

23. MicheleS - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Jimmy.WOOOOOO HOOOOOO! another Nats girl!Cookies for Det! GYFNG

24. natsfan1a - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:17 PM

25. natsfan1a - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Thanks, sec3. I need to study up on the rule book a bit. On the plus side, I know what LSMFT means. Or is that a minus? :-)awww, must be the heat, NatsLady. That, or the SF shift, as previously detailed by sec3.

26. Stew Magnuson - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I would go if they had 1924 ticket and concession prices.

27. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Just means you're culturally literate on the middle of the 20th century, 1a, but we knew that. Pouring rain in the top of the 9th, 2 outs. No way they pull out the tarp. … And Elvis strikes out, game over, 2-1, Sox sweep Texas. Cool.

28. NatsLady - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Congrats to Jimmy on the new Nats fan. She will be a blessing and a burden, but mostly a blessing. Enjoy.

29. NCNatsie - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Technically, this game is thier #3 against our #5, though Cain certainly has been their best pitcher of late. But Lincecum pitched opening day and lost to the D-backs. Then it was Bumgarner, who also lost. The D-backs also won game 3. Cain went 6 innings and gave up 5 runs, but Affleck took the loss in relief.But I don't care if they pitch Matt Cain, Herman Cain or Virgil Cain — NOBODY CAN STOP OUR BOYS NOW! GYFNG!

30. waddu eye no - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Cu all there!

31. Wendell - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Good piece up at WaPo on Dave & Charlie, including video in the broadcast boothhttp://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/for-washington-nationals-radio-team-dave-jageler-and-charlie-slowes-baseballs-in-the-air/2012/07/05/gJQAB9FYPW_allComments.html?ctab=all_&

32. NatsLady - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Looks like the Rox are coming to us by way of St. Louis, so they might be more prepared for the heat than the Giants. On the other hand, they are in, er, a little more disarray than the Giants, and we have our BIG THREE up against 'em for the weekend series.

33. Wendell - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Sorry, here's a better linkhttp://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/for-washington-nationals-radio-team-dave-jageler-and-charlie-slowes-baseballs-in-the-air/2012/07/05/gJQAB9FYPW_story.html

34. ehay2k - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I hope Morse doesn't collide with Lombo as they both play LF! Nick Johnson@Austin Kearns redux is not what we want to see.Congrats to papa Jimmy! Buy her some Nats onesies.Never too early to start.

35. PFB Balls of Fire - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I'll bite. LSFMT?

36. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Freese and Darvish to the ASG.Harper finished 2nd.

37. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Kids today!LSMFT

38. baseballswami - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I really do think he needs the break. Hope he is excited by how many people voted for him , though.

39. David - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM

starting in 1924 the Nats had a 10 year stretch where they finished above .500 eight times, above 90 wins six times, and went to 3 world series with one win in 1924. is this a start to another stretch like that? the 1924 uniform being a harbinger?

40. PFB Balls of Fire - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM

David, Yes it is.

41. PFB Balls of Fire - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Sec 3, partaking in a bit of Big League Chew isn't quite the same is it?

42. baseballswami - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Game 80 – really? Seems like it was jut opening day. I really like where we are, though. Time to start researching the predictions of where we would be at this point.

43. dabassguy1 - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I found several.I guessing Lucky Strikes Mean Fine Tobacco isn't the one you are going for.Fun times, these are.

44. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM

45. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Yes, the Lucky Strike ad was the reference, among the other OFLAs.Obscure Four- (or Five-) Letter Acronyms (or Alphabetics, since they aren't pronounced as a word)

46. natsfan1a - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Next thing you know they'll be asking about Burma Shave signs.

47. NCNatsie - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:58 PM

If you guys were as old as I am (few people are) you'd never have forgotten Lucky Strikes Mean Fine Tobacco. It was ubiquitous. I must have known it by the time I was 5 or 6. Later, I learned the r-rated version, in which the first two words are "loose sweaters," and that's all I'm a-gonna say. Except I'm sure Luckies were way more harmful to kids than loose sweaters ever were.

48. natsfan1a - Jul 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM

49. natsfan1a - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Agreed. Now he gets to see his folks and pup, and get some home cooking. I have a feeling that there will be plenty of such games in his future. Freese is also a bit of a feel-good story, imo.baseballswami said…I really do think he needs the break. Hope he is excited by how many people voted for him, though.July 05, 2012 4:42 PM

50. JB - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Wendell, thanks for the link. I am constantly amazed at the voice that comes out of twiggy Jageler.

51. JB - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM

The retiring HOF third baseman and the current WS MVP go to the All Star Game. Nats fans put on a good showing supporting a candidate who was not a slam dunk. Harper gets a well-deserved break.Win-win-win.

52. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Bourn finished ahead of Harper? My bad. Intentional Talk's bad, actually.

53. JaneB - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:15 PM

We are happy you are growing more Nats fans, Jimmy! Congrats. Sometimes I think that what makes me happiest about baseball is the inter-generational aspect of it. Other times I think it's the way anything can happen, at any moment. You'll start to notice the same phenomenon at home in a few months.GYFNG!

54. 164abb6e-9075-11e1-aba1-000bcdcb471e - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I remember LSMFT on the Lucky Strike cigarette packs, and my father joking that it meant "Louie's salami makes Feinstein thirsty."

55. baseballswami - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM

David Freese brought me many thrilling baseball moments last post- season. If it can't be Bryce, it's ok with me that it's him. Bryce will be bringing all of us many thrilling moments in future post- seasons. Then he will be voted into the ASG on the first ballot.

56. JB - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Jimmy, My 23-month old daughter, upon seeing me come home and changing out of work clothes, now marches into the bedroom and commands, "new shirt! curly W!" It's the first step to being a 'baseball dad' like I always wanted to be. congrats!

57. Ron In Reston - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Congrats Jimmy!! May she only know the Nats as a winner :)

58. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Jimmy,Congratulations. Here's a father-daughter-baseball story I hope you can replicate some day:When my daughter was about 10 — and we still lived in Virginia — we were at a Nats game at the new stadium, but not in our usual seats. We were chatting amiably with two guys next to us throughout the game. In the late innings, the other team brought in a pinch hitter; they posted his stats on the scoreboard. The guy next to us said something like 'this guy can't hit' because his BA was in the mid-200s. My daughter turned to him, pointed at the scoreboard, and said: 'Yes, but his OBP is .340 (or whatever it was) so he must draw a lot of walks.' The guy initially looked a bit taken aback, but then turned to me and — almost in awe — said: 'You must be so proud.' And I was.

59. Grandstander - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Overheard at the team store: "You know, Jim Bowden deserves a lot more credit."Came from a Giants fan, obviously. No Nats fan would utter such a phrase

60. Feel Wood - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I had hoped this Turn Back the Clock game would be a Clint-free event. Sadly, at exactly 6:15 tonight my hopes were dashed.

61. NatsLady - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM

They just showed yesterday's homeruns. Ankiel's was just above his waist. Apparently they didn't get the memo he'll chase when it's shoulder high.

62. NatsFanChris - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:36 PM

ptindc, Im with you on that. Would really like to see more of Moore, especially considering Lombo's recent struggles and Espi's marked improvement in the leadoff spot recently.There a lot of talk about how the bullpen will shake out when healthy, but Im equally curious about how the line-up and bench will change with the return of Tracy then Werth. We know Davy loved Tracy, and The Shark has been awesome off the bench.

63. NatsLady - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Is Kristina dressed as a flapper?

64. UnkyD - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Congrats, Jimmy!!! Well-deserved break for The Kid… Love the Charlie&Dave piece-they're awesome… And still smiling when I think of Desi,…. IN THE ASG…. WOOO-HOOO!!!!!!!GYFNG!!!!!

65. NatsLady - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Guess what? Nats have 32 losses. So do the Yanks. Every other team has 33 or more (White Sox just swept Texas…)

66. MicheleS - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM

VICTORY! I finally found the LaRoche shersey in the team store

67. Another_Sam - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:47 PM

This sure is fun. I was in the park yesterday; today in the office I was was entertaining the fantasy of going again tonight. [I didn't go.]Re: Throwback night — did any other insiders see games in Griffith Stadium in the dim past?

68. MicheleS - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I wonder if carp and FP will be dressed up?

69. NatsLady - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM

St. Louis vs. Rox: GAME TEMP 102, HEAT INDEX 106 WINDS MAY BE LIGHT AND VARIABLE.R.A. Dickey and his Mets are a slight favorite to beat Colbert and the-team-for-whom-he-is-currently-pitching.

70. Old Wino - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Tonight is all about the right hand.

71. NatsLady - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Ray Knight has a cap that looks just like my Grandpa use to wear… takes me back.

72. baseballswami - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Bryce is a throwback. He looks completely natural in that uni.

73. DannyEllinosa - Jul 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM

1924 unis look great on the boys.

74. NatsLady - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Ross let that first at-bat get to him. C'mon, bear down now.

75. PFB Balls of Fire - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Eugene, I just choked up

76. NatsLady - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Good job, Det!!! Keep that thought.

77. Adamnational - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Cudos to the equipment mgr for breaking out the road helmets.

78. JamesFan - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I normally don't like the throw-back stuff but I actually like the 1924 uniforms better than the current home whites. I think they are cleaner and more modern. I like the straight W as well.

79. baseballswami - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I agree JF — I usually don't like the pajama-like uniforms, but these are very sharp looking. I like the straight line W also. Will this be boosting sales at the team store?

80. baseballswami - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:45 PM

So, we're going to trade outs for bases and runs tonight? Small ball here we come.

81. Candide - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Cunegonde likes the alternate-2 jerseys – the navy blue ones with the curly W full of stars and stripes. Seems to be unavailable in small/women's sizes. Anyone know where I can score one?

82. Candide - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Det looks very hittable tonight…

83. baseballswami - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Is that the opposite of hitterish? We seem to have conveniently forgotten that the Giants are a good team – you know, World Series and such? And Ross has started how many games? He hasn't given up as much as EJax did yesterday. If he can replicate that second inning that would be good. Of course, that was the 7 ,8 and 9 hitters….

84. Candide - Jul 5, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I think the opposite of "hitterish" is "pitcherish."

85. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I thought the opposite of 'hitterish' was 'slump'?

86. phil dunton - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Det has nothing tonight.

87. baseballswami - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Not the end of the world. Apparently the Giants wear out lefties. Ejax gave up 3 in the first last night. We could use some offense. That would help.

88. NatsLady - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I'm on Gameday. Did ALR really beat out a bunt for a single?

89. baseballswami - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Cain starting to look mortal and we didn't pounce. Should have.

90. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM

NatsLady: Yes. Given shift Giants were playing, he laid down a bunt and got himself a hit.

91. baseballswami - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Word gets out and that might solve the shift. As for det- 5 innings, 3 runs . Not nearly as bad as it seemed like it might be.

92. baseballswami - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:02 AM

The offense has petered out and so have the posters tonight.

93. Candide - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Hey, did everyone but me sign off? Back-to-back shots from Desi and Espi and no reaction?

94. baseballswami - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Oh, thank goodness someone is there. This is interesting!

95. Candide - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Terrible check-swing call.

96. Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:29 AM

3B ump should be fired for that call on the check swing to Harper.

97. baseballswami - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:29 AM

They never quit.

98. Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Pass the Malox…

99. Candide - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Good Henry tonight???

100. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Stepped away to have dinner with Nats down 4.1. Came back for Mr. Harper's AB and a much closer game. Maybe I should step away again?

101. MicheleS - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Piss poor cell service at the Park.Crowd has been Amazing! Now that Henry is in I need Maalox!

102. baseballswami - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Eugene – I was in the shower and did quite the double take when I checked. Go eat some more and I will get really clean. HRod — I am terrified.

103. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Actually I have to leave for a movie momentarily. Hopefully that will help.

104. Candide - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Good Henry tonight!

105. Candide - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM

FWIW, I've never, ever understood balks – at least those tiny little things like what was called on Henry.

106. Candide - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Enjoy the movie, Eugene!Cunegonde took a break from her data modeling to come down just in time for the back-to-back jacks. Then went back to work. Should I go get her again?

107. Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Does Davey Johnson have nerves of steel, or what? Again, my hat is off to him.

108. Candide - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Why did Flores go down on his knee on Desi's steal? You'd think he'd want to avoid giving the catcher a clear throw to third.

109. Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:54 AM

He helped him by swinging, Candide. Too bad Flores couldn't drive him in.

110. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 6, 2012 at 1:58 AM

When Henri throws that slider in the strike zone, he's unhitable. I'm going to blame Brad Lidge for making Henri think that way.

111. Candide - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:00 AM

@ Joe – Flores did the same thing yesterday. I understand why he swings. I don't understand why he makes the catcher's job easier.

112. Candide - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM

GYFNG!!!

113. NatsLady - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Wow, I just got home for Clip pitching in the top of the 9th! Now it's tied. Man!!!

114. Candide - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM

WOO-HOOOOOOOOOOO!!! (TM 2012 MicheleS)

115. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM

that's it, I have decided not to attend any Nationals game until they clinch a playoff spot this season. For the gazillionth time, I went to the game and the offense was silent until I was at the game. I left because I have to work early tomorrow and this what happens.

116. NatsLady - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Well, you needed a walk-off fielder's choice!!!!

117. Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM

A GIANT CHOKE!!!

118. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:17 AM

I amgonna get those free wings even though I did not attend the full game. Nats score 6th run and win the game.

119. Candide - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Cunegonde and I will see y'all tomorrow night at the park – section 219.

120. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:18 AM

but what a fitting way to end! I believe game 7 of 24 WS also ended on an odd play. no complaints from here.

121. SCNatsFan - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:18 AM

These guys are playing like winners

122. baseballswami - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Rookies !!!!!!!

123. Gonat - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Kardiac Kids come thru again!!!!

124. Candide - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:20 AM

And the Mets beat the Filthies, who are now ten games under .500.

125. NG - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Two terrible at-bats from Morse and LaRoche there, and the Giants still manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Put a block "W" in the books!

126. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:23 AM

yep it was a bad hop that gave Nats the WS in 24.

127. natsfan1a - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:32 AM

AAOOGA!! AAOOOGA!! Looks like an instant Nats classic to me. Not sure whether it was a rally Carp or a rally WS bat, but either one works for me!

128. JaneB - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Just saw the LaRoche interview. I've always respected him and been thrilled he is OURS. But tonight I fell in love with him. So he is in nine way tie for my second favorite player. How nice that ninth inning was!!!

129. Secret wasian man - Jul 6, 2012 at 2:55 AM