Jul 5, 2012, 7:38 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats go for the sweep tonight at Nationals Park.
It's been a while since the Nationals last played a ballgame under anything less than extreme conditions, and it doesn't appear that's going to change anytime soon. The thermometer is approaching triple digits today and will still read in the high 90s when Ross Detwiler takes the mound for tonight's series finale against the Giants.
Detwiler handled the heat well last weekend in Atlanta, carrying a shutout into the seventh before he finally faded. If their No. 5 starter can continue pitching like that, the Nationals will gladly take it.
They'll also take as much offense as they can get, but this red-hot lineup will face a stiff challenge tonight in Matt Cain, who is three weeks removed from his perfect game but did get hit around by the Reds his last time out.
It's Turn Back the Clock Night here. Both teams will be wearing replica 1924 uniforms, and there will be other old-timey quirks at the ballpark. Here at the Insider, though, we're all 21st century, so please check back for the usual live updates and analysis…
SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, MLB Network (outside D.C. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 89
Weather: Partly cloudy, 96 degrees, Wind 9 mph LF to RF
LF Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Michael Morse
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'
- Marlins pitcher part of sports betting investigation
- Scherzer on mound as Nats face Cards
- Rendon unlikely for Opening Day after 2nd MRI
- Taking a crack at the Nats' Opening Day roster
- 3-time All-Star retires day after getting cut by Nats
- Braves, Marlins miss out on Cuban star Hector Olivera