Jul 7, 2012, 4:33 AM EDT
|Photo by US-Presswire|
After leaving a game early amidst extreme heat last week in Atlanta, Stephen Strasburg and the Nationals took precaution on Friday night against the Colorado Rockies. He drank more fluids before taking the mound and even received an IV to battle the evening of another hot and humid day. But though Strasburg lasted longer this time around, he labored through six innings and took his third consecutive loss in the Rockies’ 5-1 victory over the Nationals.
Strasburg posted another quality start against Colorado with just two earned runs, but threw 107 pitches and allowed eight hits along the way. Rockies first baseman Tyler Colvin was the main beneficiary of a few mistakes magnified by two home runs. Colvin took Strasburg deep in the second inning for a solo homer and knocked a two-run shot in the fourth.
Colvin hit the first one off a 97 mile per hour fastball into the upper deck in right field.
“It was just a dumb pitch,” Strasburg said. “When you got a guy with some power up there that is the last thing you want to do is try and throw and elevated fastball and miss down in the zone a little bit, right in the swing point. You just got to learn from it.”
The homer actually counted as an unearned run as Colvin should have already been out. Earlier in the count he hit a fly ball behind home plate that Jesus Flores was able to get under. Flores tried to catch it under hand and the ball just popped out of his glove.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win