Jul 7, 2012, 6:56 PM EST
|Photo courtesy of US-Presswire|
The Nationals are sending their two best pitchers to Tuesday’s MLB All-Star Game in Kansas City, Gio Gonzalez who has participated in the game before and Stephen Strasburg who will make his first appearance. Both pitchers are important to the team this year and beyond, but things are more complicated with Strasburg given his injury history and expected innings limit for this season. Davey Johnson said on Saturday, however, he has no plans to talk to National League manager Tony La Russa to tell him how to use his guys.
“The prudent thing is, the way I look at it is, give the guys with the most rest the most work,” he said. “Tony is a Hall of Fame manager, I’m sure he will be doing that.”
Johnson was unaware of the rules of the game as far as pitching, whether starting on a certain day excludes a pitcher from being used. He was also unsure of the amount of pitchers on the N.L. roster, a clear sign he wasn’t too worried about his players being called on in the game.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?