Jul 7, 2012, 9:33 PM EST
Nationals shortstop Ian Desmond will not participate in the 2012 MLB All-Star Game due to left oblique soreness, the team announced on Saturday afternoon. Desmond met with team doctors and management before making the call.
“It’s definitely a tough decision. It’s one that we spent quite a few days kind of mulling over. But in the end I think it’s best for the team and best for myself to take the rest,” Desmond said. “I would hate to be two, three weeks down the road and something happened and I didn’t take the four days to rest my body and put the team first.”
Desmond has been dealing with the injury for several weeks and will take the days off to rest. He said he hasn’t received shots or any real medical treatment for the injury, that he thinks it just needs time to heal.
“I feel like I know my body pretty well. If I didn’t think that the four days rest would help I wouldn’t do it. I would just go and play and take a chance. But it’s to the point now where I feel like if I go and rest, come back, I think it’ll be okay,” he said.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats