Jul 7, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
Nationals shortstop Ian Desmond will not participate in the 2012 MLB All-Star Game due to left oblique soreness, the team announced on Saturday afternoon. Desmond met with team doctors and management before making the call.
“It’s definitely a tough decision. It’s one that we spent quite a few days kind of mulling over. But in the end I think it’s best for the team and best for myself to take the rest,” Desmond said. “I would hate to be two, three weeks down the road and something happened and I didn’t take the four days to rest my body and put the team first.”
Desmond has been dealing with the injury for several weeks and will take the days off to rest. He said he hasn’t received shots or any real medical treatment for the injury, that he thinks it just needs time to heal.
“I feel like I know my body pretty well. If I didn’t think that the four days rest would help I wouldn’t do it. I would just go and play and take a chance. But it’s to the point now where I feel like if I go and rest, come back, I think it’ll be okay,” he said.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend