Ian Desmond out of All-Star Game

Jul 7, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT

Nationals shortstop Ian Desmond will not participate in the 2012 MLB All-Star Game due to left oblique soreness, the team announced on Saturday afternoon. Desmond met with team doctors and management before making the call.

“It’s definitely a tough decision. It’s one that we spent quite a few days kind of mulling over. But in the end I think it’s best for the team and best for myself to take the rest,” Desmond said.

“I would hate to be two, three weeks down the road and something happened and I didn’t take the four days to rest my body and put the team first.”

Desmond has been dealing with the injury for several weeks and will take the days off to rest. He said he hasn’t received shots or any real medical treatment for the injury, that he thinks it just needs time to heal.

“I feel like I know my body pretty well. If I didn’t think that the four days rest would help I wouldn’t do it. I would just go and play and take a chance. But it’s to the point now where I feel like if I go and rest, come back, I think it’ll be okay,” he said.

1. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 7, 2012 at 9:47 PM

According to a team spokesman Desmond will still keep the distinction of being an All-Star due to the nature of his absence. A technicality, to be sure. You know he wanted to play, badly.

2. Oldguy - Jul 7, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I think they should rest Stras also. Both those guys will get another shot, and the honor is greater than the participation, IMHO. I was at the game last night and several of us thought Stras looked really tired. I have never seem him move so slow. It was also interesting to see him pitch against Will Nieves. Will caught his first ever game in ST in Florida and they hit it off well.

3. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Yep, I think I am fine if none of the Nats play or pitch. Not sure how the weather in KC is but I doubt it is any better than DC.

4. Positively Half St. - Jul 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I'm OK with Desmond doesn't play, but I want to see him at the introduction of All-Stars in KC. This may be the first All-Star game that might really matter for the Nats, but I can't stay up for the whole game, as early as I get up.With Bourne going, though, we may be one more injury from Harper getting into the game.+1/2St.

5. waddu eye no - Jul 7, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Sofa: a technicality, to be sure. You know he wanted to play, badly.I'd have thought he wanted to play well. Pa dum pumSorry y'all. It's the heat….,

6. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM

How hot was it?

7. waddu eye no - Jul 7, 2012 at 11:16 PM

8. waddu eye no - Jul 7, 2012 at 11:17 PM

good question:http://www.yooohaaa.com/humor/itssohotjokes.htm

9. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Harper into the ASG for Stanton.

10. natsfan1a - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Eh, you're still an All-Star in my book, Ian. :-)

11. Kirbs - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM

We now have 4 all stars, Laroach should be in!!