Jul 8, 2012, 1:40 AM EST
|Photo by US-Presswire|
For Nationals’ starter Gio Gonzalez, a native of Hialeah, Florida, triple-digit heat and humidity is just part of the game of baseball. On Saturday afternoon he battled through 102 pitches in record heat, but left with his 12th victory of the season in the Nationals’ 4-1 win over the Colorado Rockies in front of 28,032 on South Capitol St.
“In Florida we know that heat. I was just trying to adapt to it and keep going. I’ve lost a ton of weight from it, but at the same time I got my liquids in me, that’s for sure. Just got to keep fighting right through it,” he said.
Gonzalez left after the sixth inning with the game tied at one. He allowed just one run on three hits and struck out six, all along the way tying Livan Hernandez for the Nationals’ record for wins heading into the All-Star break. He is now tied with R.A. Dickey for the major league lead.
“I don’t know what kind of run support he got over there in Oakland, but he’s been stingy giving up runs here, and hits,” manager Davey Johnson said.
“He’s been very consistent. He’s been fun to watch. My whole staff’s been fun to watch. But these last two times out, in the heat, he’s pitched well. Against very good offensive clubs.”
Read more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper hangs with Jordan, Jeter, Manning, RG3 & others
- Report: NL West team still talking to Phillies about Hamels
- Braves' Freeman: 'I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people'
- 2015 outlook: Miami Marlins
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Nate McLouth
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Kevin Frandsen
- Watch Werth arrive at jail in Fairfax to begin sentence
- Braves trade Hale, sign former Nats catcher
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels