Gio leads Nats over Rockies for 12th win

Jul 8, 2012, 1:40 AM EDT

Photo by US-Presswire

For Nationals’ starter Gio Gonzalez, a native of Hialeah, Florida, triple-digit heat and humidity is just part of the game of baseball. On Saturday afternoon he battled through 102 pitches in record heat, but left with his 12th victory of the season in the Nationals’ 4-1 win over the Colorado Rockies in front of 28,032 on South Capitol St.

“In Florida we know that heat. I was just trying to adapt to it and keep going. I’ve lost a ton of weight from it, but at the same time I got my liquids in me, that’s for sure. Just got to keep fighting right through it,” he said.

Gonzalez left after the sixth inning with the game tied at one. He allowed just one run on three hits and struck out six, all along the way tying Livan Hernandez for the Nationals’ record for wins heading into the All-Star break. He is now tied with R.A. Dickey for the major league lead.

“I don’t know what kind of run support he got over there in Oakland, but he’s been stingy giving up runs here, and hits,” manager Davey Johnson said.

“He’s been very consistent. He’s been fun to watch. My whole staff’s been fun to watch. But these last two times out, in the heat, he’s pitched well. Against very good offensive clubs.”

1. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:47 AM

2. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Harper almost got caught going for a double on the play but reached first safe because no one was covering the bag.Chase, I don't think that's right. He went most of the way to second because he could SEE no one was covering behind him. Alert play on his part.

3. SonnyG10 - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Back to 16 over .500. Let's make it 17 over tomorrow. GYFNG!!!!

4. Swift Eagle - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Exactly Sofa! Bryce KNEW nobody would cover 1st b/c with a runner at 2nd the 1st baseman has to be the cutoff for a throw home…It was actually a very smart play…to go along with his always great hustle

5. NatsNut - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Also, this was Clippard's 14th save.And folks, we've surpassed Texas for day for the #2 record in all of baseball. GYFNG!

6. natsfan1a - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Atta way, Gio! Atta way, NATS!! Hope it will be cooler tomorrow, as I'll be there for that one. :-)Thanks for all of the posts today, Chase. Nice to have the coverage while Mark's away.

7. ehay2k - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Nice outing by Gio. Hoping Zimnn pitches well tomorrow in slightly cooler conditions. Sad to learn Desi won't play in the ASG. Very happy to know he is putti ghis body and the team first. Not exactly happy to hear Harper will play. Happy for him to have the experience, sad to know he will not get much needed rest.

8. Swift Eagle - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:21 AM

He's 19, it's unlikely he would have been resting back home…Besides, he only gets one chance to be an All-Star as a rookie…

9. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Thanks, Eagle. Depot Master pointed it out before I did, in the Instant Analysis post. Evidently Mark didn't see that._____________________________Depot Master said… Correction – Bryce did not almost get thrown out. There was no one at first. Had he gone to second that might have happened but the guy is pretty game-aware. July 07, 2012 7:27 PM

10. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Excuse me, CHASE didn't see that. I was thinking "Chase" but I was typing "Mark."

11. Swift Eagle - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:31 AM

The play by Bryce is just another heads up, hustle play that I wish more guys would try…With all the hype around Harper and his talent, I never knew until he got the Show that he has so many intangibles…

12. baseballswami - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Swift Eagle- I know what you mean. It's not just the intangibles, which are significant, but he just learns so very fast! He makes mistakes only once. I wasn't really a doubter, but I really expected him to have a lot more trouble. My biggest surprise has been the way he carries himself. I am very proud that he is part of the Washington Nationals franchise.

13. MicheleS - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Sofa and Chase.. Thanks for the in game updates. People that don't have cable and piss poor cell service are now off my list of places to go to during a game!Glad Ian is resting, happy for Bryce (although I wish he was resting)! So happy for GIO's win today! GYFNG!!!

14. MicheleS - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:46 AM

And the good news.. The DVR was on and I can watch the replay of the game!!

15. SCNatsFan - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:51 AM

I think the heat is taking a toll on the staff

16. baseballswami - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:52 AM

17. Swift Eagle - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Swami, Bryce plays like a guy trying to make the team and nothing like a guy who was on the cover of SI at 16…

18. MicheleS - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:53 AM

SC.. the good news is that the 4 games in Miami are in AC (they will close the roof), hopefully when the team comes back it won't be so oppressive in DC

19. mick - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:54 AM

12 pitchers, 13 IN, OF, C on roster. So… when Tracy and Werth are back, are we looking at 2 of the following 3 players going down to minors among Ankiel, Bernadina and Derosa?When Storen is back are we looking at Gonzales or Matthues going down and if Lannan is called up before Strass is shut down, are we looking at Gorzo going down.thoughts….

20. mick - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:55 AM

clearly, the only trade I see, if any would be for a starting pitcher.

21. mick - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:56 AM

I think Lannan will be called up and he could be a great asset

22. MicheleS - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Mick.. as we have seen, there are "creative" ways to make room on the roster.. don't count anything out. Someone will tweak a muscle, someone will slam a finger in a door, pull a groin, etc.

23. mick - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:58 AM

agreed Michele and with that, are 2 of the 3 I mentioned the ones most likley to tweaka muscle, lol?

24. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 8, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Swift and Swami, agreed. I didn't really disregard the hype until I saw him play regularly, this spring. You have to see him to get it. The obvious stuff is, well, obvious, but the really impressive part is his baseball sense. He knows stuff MLB veterans don't seem to show, and he hustles like almost nobody else.

25. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 8, 2012 at 3:17 AM

The impressive part about the play at first is his field sense–to do that, you have to know where the fielders are supposed to be, which is more than a lot of players do, but also where they actually are.

26. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 8, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Take it easy, Mick. There's less than eight weeks before rosters expand. Mike "I've never met a body part that I couldn't devise a fake injury for" Rizzo will be able to juggle the DL long enough to take advantage of the expanded roster … just in time for Werth to be activated, LannEn recalled from Siberia and other late-season pennant moves.

27. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 8, 2012 at 3:29 AM

Off-topic, but Micah Owings is pulling a Rick Ankeil:SAN DIEGO (AP) — Injured San Diego Padres pitcher Micah Owings will attempt to return to the majors as a position player on Monday.

28. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 8, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Sunshine, he always could hit some. Might work. Good luck to him.

29. Jimmy - Jul 8, 2012 at 3:47 AM

The toddler and I strolled into a place called Southern Hospitality (formerly Adams Mill Bar) at the top of Adams Morgan at about the mid-point in the game in search for some much needed refreshment during our afternoon walk (the make a mean Mint Julep). Turns out there was a decent crowd watching the game and all were cheering for the Nats. Nothing crazy numbers wise, but its always worth noting friendly territory when you find it. Made for a fun atmosphere, the kind I'll be going back to soon and often.

30. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 8, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Good to know, Jimmy, thanks.

31. JaneB - Jul 8, 2012 at 4:15 AM

One of my favorite moments today was when the team took the field, after the win. Davey came out, pointing a finger at Gio, and smiling, like, "you, you, you!" and Gio just laughed and ducked his head. It was delightful to watch. Now I realize it was Davey telling him they were gonna get him the win and they did. Gosh I love these guys! Even in 102 degree heat!

32. natsfan1a - Jul 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM

He's 19 but he's playing a man's game just about every day. Then there are his comments before he got the nod. It sounded to me like the kid could be a little bit homesick. Sounds like his parents will be there, though, and maybe they'll bring his pup, too. No kicking back and just being Bryce, though, what with all the media there. That said, make us proud, kiddo! :-)baseballswami said… He is 19, how much rest can he need? It's not like it's going to be the same daily grind – there are lots of fun things going on that are a good mental health break.He shouldn't be doing as much physically ,either. I don't think they will be busy Wednesday or Thursday. For a guy like him, this will be truly inspiring. He will be just another geeky fan Monday night. Every camera will be watching him. July 07, 2012 10:52 PM

33. baseballswami - Jul 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM

34. Mr. Doggett - Jul 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Just realized something … I'm actually going to WATCH the ASG this year. Still haven't gotten used to the whole "rest of the world acknowledging our existence" thing.

35. baseballswami - Jul 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM

And our guys this year will be the center of attention . I am betting that last year when clip came into the game , tons of people had no idea who he was. That will not be the case this year.

36. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 8, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I may actually watch some of the ASG live but will DVR it for true enjoyment.I'm actually looking forward to tonites Futures game more.

37. Another_Sam - Jul 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Swammi — I admint that I was a bit of a doubter, especially on BH's ability to play the outfield. But no more. Yes on quick learner. Yesterday he didn't dive that one time late in the game but made the correct play; he's no longer prone to airmailing a hopeless throw allowing a runner to advance, and so on.

38. MicheleS - Jul 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I am actually going to watch the ASG as well. And will stay up and watch it too see when all our guys make an impact on the game! this is great!

39. zregime - Jul 8, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I am reading this blog now almost every day and love you guys' comments…Swami, Michele, the Eagle, 1A, you're starting to feel like family. And, I am already starting to visualize a crisp night in October, where you can see your breath, when people are bidding for tickets to Natties Stadium like they were Van Gogh paintings. The place will sound like RFK during the game, and the entire city will go ba-NA-nas as our guys win one for Walter. Hoist the trophy. Shower Bryce with bubbly. Davey will be crying and stuff. It'll be insane.This team is that good. GYFNG!

40. natsfan1a - Jul 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Good point on his wingmen, swami. Also, maybe his folks can rent a place with a kitchenette so he can have some home cooking. Sheesh, listen to me. I'm planning the whole thing out for the kid. :-)baseballswami said… I agree that. Bryce sounds homesick like kid at summer camp or the first year of college. At least he will have "wingmen" there with him if all the activities lean towards over 21 establishments.he will probably hang out with his 20 yr old buddy fro Arizona fall league Mike Trout. What a pair for the cameras, huh? July 08, 2012 6:52 AM

41. natsfan1a - Jul 8, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Thanks, zregime, I'm happy to be claimed as Insider family. Also, I like your scenario. :-)I always watch some of the ASG, and I like to see our guys in the intros. Will be watching this year and have the DVR as backup for the late innings, in case I fall asleep. Who am I kidding? As backup for *when* I fall asleep. With MLB Network there, I enjoy the red carpet show as well, and Intentional Talk will have All-Star coverage.

42. baseballswami - Jul 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Have to go out of town to stay with my elderly mother while my siblings take a well-earned vacation – no mlb network or masn for over a week, boo. Will be glued to my smart phone, though, and at least the festivities are on Fox. Once Friday hits, it'll just be the tiny screen. zregime — yes, a Nats-fan family, but the truly affectionate term is "imaginary friends" !!! Love having all the voices, and yes, the opinions, too.

43. mick - Jul 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM

best of luck to you swami, hope your mother is OK

44. mick - Jul 8, 2012 at 12:54 PM

agree with swami, peric, ghost, gonat are like siblings you love to battle with, lol

45. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 8, 2012 at 12:54 PM

you guys should read some of Nats fans comments on yesterday's game wrap at mlb.com, they are hilarious.

46. Mr. Doggett - Jul 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I think zregime's comment should be "clipped and saved" for the end of the year (pardon the pun). It'd be fun to see that stuff come true. A lot of us feel like we've invested a lot of time and energy into this team…

47. NCNatsie - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Is Gonzalez the most common name in baseball? Seems like every team has one, and we've got two.

48. zregime - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Mr. Doggett: Amen to that. I have now started planning my days around the games. Invested? Yeah, like Warren Buffett, baby…Safe travels, swami, and prayers for your mom.One of our hurlers is gonna twirl a no-no before this season is through. J-Zim, today, perhaps? Well, gotta bounce to Giant and restock the fridge we cleaned out after five days with no power. Enjoy the game, y'all!

49. sm13 - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Great to see a full morning of positive posts. There is so much to love about this first half. 16 Games over 500, 14 games up on the Phil's, 9 ahead of the free-spending Marlins…the list goes on.I agree with Sunshine that Rizzo will figure out a way to juggle the roster until it expands in September. There is no need to give up young talent for Cranky Greinke or any of the other rental pitchers out on the market

50. NatsLady - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Any word on Metro delays? Have to make quick decision when I get off work, drive or Metro?

51. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 8, 2012 at 3:58 PM

NatsLady, the Green Line is still out north of Ft Totten, but that shouldn't affect the game travel as much as the general heat-related slower train speeds. They aren't doing track work today.