Jul 8, 2012, 12:21 AM EDT
|Photo by US-Presswire|
Bryce Harper will be an All-Star after all.
After Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton withdrew from the game due to a right knee injury on Saturday, National League manager Tony La Russa selected the Nationals’ phenom for the team’s final roster spot. At 19 years old, Harper will become the youngest position player in MLB history to be named an All-Star.
Harper learned of the announcement moments after the team’s 4-1 win over the Colorado Rockies. He was called over by manager Davey Johnson who was standing beside general manager Mike Rizzo across the locker room.
“When Davey called me over there it was either I was thinking I was going down because Rizzo and everybody was over there or the All-Star game. Good thing it was the All-Star game. I’m happy. I am.”
Speaking to reporters just minutes after learning he was an All-Star, Harper said he hadn’t even had time to tell his parents.
“No, I haven’t. They’ll probably be really excited and try to come out there and be around me,” he said.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue