Harper replaces Stanton as N.L. All-Star

Jul 8, 2012, 12:21 AM EDT

Photo by US-Presswire

Bryce Harper will be an All-Star after all.

After Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton withdrew from the game due to a right knee injury on Saturday, National League manager Tony La Russa selected the Nationals’ phenom for the team’s final roster spot. At 19 years old, Harper will become the youngest position player in MLB history to be named an All-Star.

Harper learned of the announcement moments after the team’s 4-1 win over the Colorado Rockies. He was called over by manager Davey Johnson who was standing beside general manager Mike Rizzo across the locker room.

“When Davey called me over there it was either I was thinking I was going down because Rizzo and everybody was over there or the All-Star game.  Good thing it was the All-Star game. I’m happy. I am.”

Speaking to reporters just minutes after learning he was an All-Star, Harper said he hadn’t even had time to tell his parents.

“No, I haven’t. They’ll probably be really excited and try to come out there and be around me,” he said.

1. SonnyG10 - Jul 8, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Good for the Nats history…youngest ever all-star.

2. m20832 - Jul 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I'm happy for the young buck! Don't let them ask any clown questions Bro!

3. Feel Wood - Jul 8, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I'm very sorry to hear that Giancarlo Stanton is hurt and will miss the four game series in Miami after the All Star Break as well as the four game series in DC in early August.No, wait. I'm not.

4. baseballswami - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Andrew McCutcheon for the home run derby – good. I don't want Bryce's swing messed up.He is so young – I hope he is just there to take everything in.It will be a break for him from the every day grind and it will be fun for him. He will probably get every single guy's autograph. He will also probably be picking brains and learning as much as possible.

5. baseballswami - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Feel Wood – well at least you aren't a hypocrite.

6. peric - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Both just from watching and from the vantage of advance stats Harper is the spark in this offense and his ranking as top hitter over Desmond and LaRoche appears to substantiate what we've been seeing. Without Harper there is no offense to speak and close to 20 games over .500 might instead be much closer to .500 or worse. The different between a first place team with the best record in the NL and something that might have been quite different.He never stops he always hustles always … he's relentless and on the offensive side of the team he is very bit the X-factor they needed. He deserves to be an All Star and I'm glad it came from LaRussa and not the teeny boppers.

7. baseballswami - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Just saw the Greinke ejection. 4 pitches. Maybe Wandy would be better for us. Cheaper, too. Livo ate the loss.

8. SonnyG10 - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I was impressed how Harper was still running all out to first base in this heat. There is just no off switch on him.Happy to see him make the all-star team.

9. SFNats - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Heh, swami. Greinke is the ace of my fantasy baseball team, and I nearly had a heart attack when I saw his pitching line today. I've never been so happy to find out that a player was ejected — I figured he'd snapped something in his arm.

10. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:01 AM

So, do we have to spell it "Bam*Bam" now?

11. natsfan1a - Jul 8, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Was kinda hoping the kid would get some rest, but will be fun to see our three guys there.

12. natsfan1a - Jul 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM

How did you know I was singing that in my head? :-)

13. Kirbs - Jul 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I was hoping for some rest, but as long as he isn't in the HR derby to mess his swing I'm happy!!!