Jul 9, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Kauffman Stadium hosts the Home Run Derby tonight.
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — No, there aren't any members of the Nationals competing in tonight's Home Run Derby (though it would have been tons of fun to see Bryce Harper take a whack at reaching the fountains beyond the fence at Kauffman Stadium, wouldn't it?). That doesn't mean this won't be an entertaining event, not with the likes of Prince Fielder, Jose Bautista and defending champion Robinson Cano in the field of eight.
As was the case last summer in Phoenix, each league's captain got to select three fellow home run hitters. So Cano chose Fielder, Bautista and Mark Trumbo. Matt Kemp's NL teammates are Carlos Gonzalez, Carlos Beltran and Andrew McCutchen.
All the other All-Stars will be watching from foul territory, and I'm sure we'll see plenty of shots of Harper, Stephen Strasburg and Gio Gonzalez enjoying the festivities. I'll have some thoughts along the way myself while I also finish up my full article on the first-place Nationals' invasion of the Midsummer Classic. Enjoy…
2012 HOME RUN DERBY
Where: Kauffman Stadium
Gametime: 8 p.m. EDT
Radio: ESPN-980 AM, XM 176
Weather: Partly cloudy, 90 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from CF
Matt Kemp (LAD)
Andrew McCutchen (Pit)
Carlos Beltran (Stl)
Carlos Gonzalez (Col)
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper has tickets to the Super Bowl
- 2015 outlook: Detroit Tigers
- MLB's Manfred: Montreal has helped case for return of baseball
- Nats roster preview: Yunel Escobar
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond