2012 Home Run Derby

Jul 9, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Kauffman Stadium hosts the Home Run Derby tonight.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — No, there aren't any members of the Nationals competing in tonight's Home Run Derby (though it would have been tons of fun to see Bryce Harper take a whack at reaching the fountains beyond the fence at Kauffman Stadium, wouldn't it?). That doesn't mean this won't be an entertaining event, not with the likes of Prince Fielder, Jose Bautista and defending champion Robinson Cano in the field of eight.

As was the case last summer in Phoenix, each league's captain got to select three fellow home run hitters. So Cano chose Fielder, Bautista and Mark Trumbo. Matt Kemp's NL teammates are Carlos Gonzalez, Carlos Beltran and Andrew McCutchen.

All the other All-Stars will be watching from foul territory, and I'm sure we'll see plenty of shots of Harper, Stephen Strasburg and Gio Gonzalez enjoying the festivities. I'll have some thoughts along the way myself while I also finish up my full article on the first-place Nationals' invasion of the Midsummer Classic. Enjoy…

2012 HOME RUN DERBY
Where: Kauffman Stadium
Gametime: 8 p.m. EDT
TV: ESPN
Radio: ESPN-980 AM, XM 176
Weather: Partly cloudy, 90 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from CF

PARTICIPANTS
NATIONAL LEAGUE
Matt Kemp (LAD)
Andrew McCutchen (Pit)
Carlos Beltran (Stl)
Carlos Gonzalez (Col)

Read more ยป

1. Kirbs - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:20 PM

It would have been fun to se Bryce blast away, however there is a pretty good track record of the HR derby messing up swings so in glad he's out.

2. Kirbs - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:20 PM

*see, I hate this phone keyboard.

3. Doc - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I would like it to be otherwise, but me thinks that Cano and Co. will out smack our NL bros.

4. natsfan1a - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Eh, I'm not a big fan of the derby and as Kirbs noted, I'd rather not see the kid's swing getting out of whack. So to speak. But I'm glad you're there to document it, Mark. :-)

5. natsfan1a - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM

6. natsfan1a - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM

7. natsfan1a - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Oh, dang. Now I guess I'll have to record it so I can watch for them. Mark, would you do me a super duper big favor and post here regarding at what point in the broadcast they're shown, so I can fast-forward to it later? kaithxbai. (Well, it was worth a try, anyway. :-))All the other All-Stars will be watching from foul territory, and I'm sure we'll see plenty of shots of Harper, Stephen Strasburg and Gio Gonzalez enjoying the festivities.

8. baseballswami - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:45 PM

The AL can have the HR derby.That's their thing.We'll take the game tomorrow night. Do they use a DH or will it be real baseball?

9. baseballswami - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Surprisingly , simple, nice National Anthem.

10. MicheleS - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Swami.. DH tomorrow night, so not real baseball.

11. baseballswami - Jul 9, 2012 at 11:56 PM

That's what I thought. The al people would be whining all over the place about their poor, delicate pitchers. None of them will pitch long enough to bat anyway.Maybe Strassie can pinch hit!

12. baseballswami - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Beltran did really well for his first derby. He is wearing gold shoes – I mean, midas touch kind of gold shoes. Stylin.Mark, how could you have neglected to mention that?

13. NatsNut - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Too funny. baseballswami said……Do they use a DH or will it be real baseball?…Maybe Strassie can pinch hit!

14. MicheleS - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Trumbo was hitting some BOMBS!

15. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I miss real baseball.

16. MicheleS - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Sunshine.. I know, and tomorrow we have to suffer through the DH.

17. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Bryce, saying all the right things (once again) on ESPN.

18. MicheleS - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Matt Kemp not representing in the HR Derby.. (and should not be doing it anyway since he is on the DL)And as Sunshine said, Bryce saying all the right things.

19. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:25 AM

@MicheleS: Actually DH in the All-Star game doesn't bother me. It's just an exhibition. Pitchers never hit anyway, so I'm actually OK with it there. But in the regular season, meh…There's few things more fun to me than watching SS, or Gio or J-Zimm produce a run-scoring hit.

20. MicheleS - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:28 AM

GIO sighting on TV!!! Just hugging Cano!

21. MicheleS - Jul 10, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Wow cano is really hearing if from the crowd!

22. natsfan1a - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Didn't watch the whole derby, but clicked over on occasion. Once, it was just in time to see Cano getting the boos.Maybe the whole captain, team-selecting thing was a bad idea. Last year it was Fielder on the receiving end for not picking hometown guy Justin Upton (who is getting boos himself now, but that's another story). This year, it was Cano. Yeah, he didn't pick the hometown guy, and yeah, he's a Yankee, but that sustained session was over the top, imo.

23. Tcostant - Jul 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM