D.C. is frontrunner for ’15 All-Star Game

Jul 10, 2012, 8:50 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
Nationals Park could host the All-Star Game three years from now.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — There's a good chance Major League Baseball's All-Star Game will be played in Washington in July 2015.

Though the league hasn't yet announced where the Midsummer Classic will take place beyond next year (when the New York Mets will host), the 2014 game is expected to be played in Minnesota, with the 2015 game either in Washington or Miami. And according to a league source familiar with commissioner Bud Selig's thinking, the Nationals are currently the frontrunners to host the game over the Marlins.

Members of the Lerner family have long expressed their desire to bring the All-Star Game to the District, which hosted the event at Griffith Stadium in 1937 and 1956 and then at what became known as RFK Stadium in 1962 and 1969. And MLB officials have supported a Midsummer Classic at Nationals Park since the facility opened in 2008.

The only hangup has been a desire for more commercial development around the ballpark, a process that was stalled by a poor economy.Read more ยป

1. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 10, 2012 at 9:22 PM

2. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 10, 2012 at 9:25 PM

3. Gonat - Jul 10, 2012 at 9:37 PM

That is a positive sign and then it will be see you in 30 more years.

4. MicheleS - Jul 10, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Gonat. In 30 years I will be retired in Florida.. where ever the Nats are at in Spring Training. I want tha AllStar game!!!!

5. Gonat - Jul 10, 2012 at 9:47 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/michael-bourn-says-nationals-were-interested-in-him/2012/07/10/gJQAx7huaW_blog.html______________________________________This confirms the rumors about Bourn to Washington last year although I still think Ed Wade of Houston had a few secret handshake deals as Houston got ripped off as Bourn was traded with cash for for Jordan Schafer, Brett Oberholtzer, Paul Clemens, and Juan Abreu, and the Braves laughed all the way to the bank with the cash and what they gave up.Atlanta got 2 months of service last year plus this season and the Braves still could trade Bourn at the trade deadline this year and get some prospects that are better than what they gave up last year and only give away 2 months of service.

6. sm13 - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Going to the All Star Game in DC: Priceless!!

7. JaneB - Jul 10, 2012 at 10:37 PM

So. My selfish question is: How do they sell the seats? Do hometown fans and/or STHolders get an early crack at them, or will they sell out in seconds to scalpers? I have no idea how it works, but I'm planning my July 2015 now.

8. natsfan1a - Jul 10, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I'll believe it when I see it, but it would be very cool.

9. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM

10. Kenz aFan - Jul 11, 2012 at 1:48 AM

How does Minnesota potentially get the nod over the Dodgers to host the All-Star game in 2014, when the Dodgers have been waiting fives years longer than the Twins have?The five longest waits for an All-Star game as of right now are: 1) Dodgers – 32 years2) Nationals – 30 years (43 years if count the Senators)3) Twins – 27 years4) Athletics – 25 years5) Reds – 24 yearsAs you can see, the Twins have no business hosting an All-Star game until the 2016 season.

11. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 11, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Kenz, they alternate AL/NL.

12. Diz - Jul 11, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Ticket packages, I assume, will be like for other All Star venues for MLB.As a STH, you will have to buy the Futures Game, HRD, and All-Star Game, so expect the packages for each seat to be quite high.But to get the game here would be amazing. It would make my early seasons worth it. Been a STH since '05 and I've been dreaming for a season like this one. I am 13 – 1 at home so far. Woohoo!!!