Game 84: Nats at Marlins

Jul 13, 2012, 7:51 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann opens the second half of the season at Marlins Park.

MIAMI — Hello from Marlins Park, which doesn't provide quite the same overload of sensations when you make your second trip here. That's probably a good thing.

The Nationals open the second half of their season with a four-game series against a Miami club that dealt with all manner of calamity prior to the All-Star break, resulting in a 41-44 record. That said, the Marlins did sweep the Nats in their previous visit here over Memorial Day week. And as any longtime observer knows, no team in the NL East has been a bigger thorn in the Nationals' side over the years than the Marlins.

Jordan Zimmermann will look to reverse that trend tonight, handed the ball by Davey Johnson first out of the gate. Gio Gonzalez will start tomorrow, with Stephen Strasburg on Sunday, Edwin Jackson on Monday and then Ross Detwiler on Tuesday against the Mets in D.C. Drew Storen is not going to be activated off the disabled list quite yet; he made a two-inning rehab appearance for Class A Potomac last night, so it'll be at least another day or two until we see him.

Plenty of live updates and analysis here from this amusement park of a baseball stadium, plus be sure to check back around 5 p.m. for news of the Nats' contract negotiations with first-round pick Lucas Giolito…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Indoors

LF Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
RF Michael Morse

1. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:56 AM

NatsJack. What's it like there?

2. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:56 AM

They need H-Rod for the stretch run … its 5 to zippy? When else do you put the guy in the game? There's also the possibility of raising his trade value. Or seeing if they can stick with Henry in lieu of someone else?Henry's is working himself out of a job … not with the run scoring hit. But with the walk and the almost wild pitches. I hate to say this, but I agree. Davey is still playing chess, and he may have just sacrificed a pawn there. That's Davey. Personally, I think Henry is done, and his spirit is broken. Which sucks. But he needs a new uniform.

3. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:56 AM

all right Shaggy is in… scoobie doobie doo where are you, lol

4. phil dunton - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:56 AM

IMO, HR has no upside and there is no reason to keep him around. He has absolutely no control and he can't handle pressure. That is a lethal combination!

5. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Didn't the Nationals learn anything from their terrible Daniel Cabera experience? Fast ball pitchers with absolutely no control are nothing more than big teases.Cabrera's down in the minors pitching. Sometimes ou see him against the Chiefs. Henry is different. 1. He's very coachable. 2. He has a killer slider.3. He has an excellent change. 4. He is eminently coachable. 5. His problems with control are all confidence related. But, yes I don't think this is quite the end for Henry but I think its getting pretty close. The Nats have other pitchers who deserve that slot if he can't do the job.

6. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Somebody (gorzo, mattheus) comes down with some sort of Rizzo-created injury and goes on the DL when Storen is activated. Come Sept 1, we bring him back along with LannEn, Werth and the cast of thousands we have on the DL.

7. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Jose Reyes made a bad decision to play for these guys.Ryan doesn't make my stomach hurt.

8. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:00 AM

did someone suggest sending Gorzelanny to AAA? That's not possible. For one thing, players with five years in MLB don't have to accept a minor league assignment, and for another, he'd have to go through waivers, which obviously wouldn't happen.

9. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Does Gorzo even have an Option? I didn't think he did (I thought we had hashed out how has options and who doesn't)GORZO does NOT have an option. He is a STARTING LEFT handed pitcher. He is a pretty effective starter. Now, how many teams do you think would claim this guy if they put him on waivers? Probably the very first team up.Mick everyone is giving you lots of compliments but you say things without thinking about the ramifications to the team and the franchise?

10. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Davey must be using the C or D bullpen tonight! I'd much prefer the A or B after a week off and playing the Marlins…but as always, Davey knows best…

11. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:02 AM

I agree that a new uni could make Henry PFB again. But it wont be in one of ours. For his sake and ours… He needs a new team.

12. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Jose Reyes made a bad decision to play for these guys.That's OK, Jane, they made a bad decision signing Heath Bell, so it works out. I'm good with it, at least.

13. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:03 AM

14. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:03 AM

that's sorta what I meant, Jane.

15. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Personally, I think Henry is done, and his spirit is broken. Which sucks. I hate to say but I agree … but I don't think Davey was that hard on H-Rod? He came in the top of the seventh? NO MEN ON. He had a 5-0 lead? That's breaking his spirit?But yes this entire year has been about H-Rod losing his confidence again, getting sent on the DL to "rehab" his confidence in the minors. Was it any worst in Oakland for him? Probably not. Anywhere he goes he is going to have to face his biggest nemesis. He himself.

16. ehay2k - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:05 AM

We are winning 5-0, so that was the perfect time to bring in Henry, who was clearly un-nerved by the stadium colors. No matter, there is no 5 run HR in baseball (maybe the AL will put one in place?) so Henry could struggle a bit. Besides, if we beat the Fish with Bad Henry on the mound, that is rubbing salt in the wound.As for pulling Jordan, it was early in the game, unless you think we might make the playoffs, and that this isn't even the midpoint of a playoff season. With the playoffs in perspective, then with a 5 run lead there was no reason to wear him out. Just saying.Oh, and the relievers need some work, ASB rest and all.

17. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Not an original thought: With the exception of MPH Rod, we have a scary-good bullpen. And with Storen soon to be added to the mix, too-scary-good.

18. ehay2k - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:08 AM

MicheleS, a sports hernia (cough) perhaps?

19. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:09 AM

20. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:10 AM

peric, the ramifications of HRod sticking around the rest of this season could be costly.That's why he is back pitching in the seventh inning with a short leash. As for Gorzellany. Again, these are valuable trade pieces that you are talking about casting aside. That does include Stammen. As I showed in an earlier post he has been pitching far better than Dempster, yet everyone wants to give up valuable prospects for a 35 year old version of Stammen? There's tactical and strategic. The Nats always think strategic, long-term first. And I believe that is the right strategy. They leave the tactical, short-term, entirely up to Davey who is a self-proclaimed advocate of developing young players while winning … a lot. He has developed some expertise at this. And so Rizzo and the FO leave him to do his job.

21. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I don't think Davey was that hard on H-Rod? He came in the top of the seventh? NO MEN ON. He had a 5-0 lead? That's breaking his spirit?No, I think it started in the Dodger game, and was done a long time ago. Davey's being a lot more dedicated to this project than I can understand. I thought the guy was lost many weeks ago.

22. D'Gourds - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Oh. My. God. Johnny Holliday is just awful! Why do they let this guy on the air? They had the common sense to get rid of Debbie Taylor. They have got to get rid of him.

23. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:12 AM

then why not trade Henry now for a prospect, anything, that would be good for Nats and HenryIf they feel as if Henry isn't going to work out that is what they'll try to do. They probably won't get much for him but hopefully Rizzo et al can locate a potential sleeper in A ball.

24. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:13 AM

peric… so you think Dempster would be a mistake?

25. Drew - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Henry does have a killer slider.It will be the death of me.

26. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Oh. My. God. Johnny Holliday is just awful! Why do they let this guy on the air?He's a DC radio icon (more than TV). He's been here pretty much forever. Debbie Taylor not. Plus, he is a temporary sub of the rally Carp.

27. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Bryce has ditched the beard, appears to have gone with the Larry Bird moustache/Soul Patch combo…

28. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:19 AM

then why not trade Henry now for a prospect, anything, that would be good for Nats and HenryBecause trades are like a contract–the other party has to agree to it. No one above the independent leagues would trade anyone for Henry now. Why would they? They know you have to cut him at some point, even if it's the end of the season, and they can get him then.

29. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:19 AM

peric… so you think Dempster would be a mistake?35 year old pitcher who pitched around 70 innings in the first half? With Hoyer and Epstein eying young prospects to replace an aging lineup and replenish their farm system?And then there's Stammen, Gorzelanny, Zach Duke (a real honest to God major league all-star) who made the IL All Star team? And I'm going to trade for Dempster? To use the famous epithet based on the name of a Hawaiian Senator:INOUYE!

30. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:20 AM

peric… so you think Dempster would be a mistake?Oooh, burn. Henry for Dempster.

31. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:20 AM

peric said…He's a DC radio icon (more than TV). He's been here pretty much forever. Debbie Taylor not. Plus, he is a temporary sub of the rally Carp.Johnny is a warm and wonderful guy, I have had the pleasure of meeting him several times over the years. Johnny goes back to 1968 when he first came to WWDC home of Senators baseball. I could not imagine Johnny not doing play by play for Terp basketball or football. He is like one of the family. I know he makes mistakes, but give him a break as he has been around through the dark times of DC-MD sports and he was very comforting to listen too during the whole Len Bias tragedy.

32. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Lol…Clip throws 93 right down the middle! I jus dont understand how he gets guys out….but so glad that he does!

33. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Swift, as I know you know, all 93's are not created equal. He comes from right behind his ear, almost like a catcher, and his delivery motion is quick, but with a little bounce to it, and hard to pick up.

34. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:29 AM

You're right Sofa…and then there's the Overpowering Change-Up… And he's got guts, not afraid to challenge..

35. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Nifty Fifty! Love it."WOOOOO-HOOOOO!!!"(Copyright, MicheleS, 2011).

36. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Clippard is doing great tonight.I think that the best things for Henry would be give him a fresh start somewhere else. Not just good for the team but good for Henry. I hope it's an AL team, for out sake, because Good Henry is heart stopping. In a good way. But we need a place for Storen, and he needs a new start. Two Greater GOODS can come on line at the same time. meanwhile….we got the Fish! GYFNG!!!!

37. DWS - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:30 AM

OK I finally had MLB back, Clip pitching and game will start shortly

38. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:30 AM

It's that little bouncing thing he does as he gets set that intrigues me. Personally, I always found I pitch with more urgency when I drink too much Gatorade.

39. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:30 AM

GREAT!!! Love my Clip—but you see why he is not a starter. Not efficient but he got the job done!!ok, 50 WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. ehay2k - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Ahh, nothing like freshly fried Fish, and with a side of smoked Hanley to boot! This one's for you, Natslady!

41. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:31 AM

and for the Trademarked Michele —

42. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:31 AM

16 over 500!

43. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Wait, who is this intern at the desk with Phil?

44. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Not sure, but he was great in The Wonder Years…

45. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Yessss I am watching Rally Sant'Angelo wipe his face with the Rally napkin … its pretty hilarious …

46. UnkyD - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Curly W! Peric… I can't see keeping Henry around when Drew comes up… No room at the inn… Buh bye… Best of luck, Hoss… Hasta la vista… Utterly unreliable… Hey, it was worth a shot-just didn't work out… Don't let the door hit you…

47. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Jordan "Quality Start" Zimmermann looks like a guy who should start the first road game of every playoff series…Awesome

48. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I've said it all year, and then some–he's the ace of this staff.

49. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:42 AM

@Firm, Gorsehacken: You may very well be right. Best 6-6 pitcher in the game.

50. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:49 AM