Game 84: Nats at Marlins

Jul 13, 2012, 7:51 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann opens the second half of the season at Marlins Park.

MIAMI — Hello from Marlins Park, which doesn't provide quite the same overload of sensations when you make your second trip here. That's probably a good thing.

The Nationals open the second half of their season with a four-game series against a Miami club that dealt with all manner of calamity prior to the All-Star break, resulting in a 41-44 record. That said, the Marlins did sweep the Nats in their previous visit here over Memorial Day week. And as any longtime observer knows, no team in the NL East has been a bigger thorn in the Nationals' side over the years than the Marlins.

Jordan Zimmermann will look to reverse that trend tonight, handed the ball by Davey Johnson first out of the gate. Gio Gonzalez will start tomorrow, with Stephen Strasburg on Sunday, Edwin Jackson on Monday and then Ross Detwiler on Tuesday against the Mets in D.C. Drew Storen is not going to be activated off the disabled list quite yet; he made a two-inning rehab appearance for Class A Potomac last night, so it'll be at least another day or two until we see him.

Plenty of live updates and analysis here from this amusement park of a baseball stadium, plus be sure to check back around 5 p.m. for news of the Nats' contract negotiations with first-round pick Lucas Giolito…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Indoors

LF Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
RF Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 13, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Mark, are they closing the roof, then?

2. Daniel - Jul 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Normally I read this blog and root for the Nats, but when they play my Fish…Best of luck, Washington, but I do hope Miami takes another series.

3. Tcostant - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Welcome back baseball – I missed you.I'm betting we don't see Drew Storen activated until Tuesday in D.C.

4. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I didn't know there were Fish fans among us.Anyways, pumped for baseball being back and Nats back to their winning ways.

5. JD - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM

only 3 1st rounders still unsigned:Gausman – BaltimoreAppel – PitsburghGiolito -Nats

6. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I'm betting we don't see Drew Storen activated until Tuesday in D.C.And they might just push him out the full 31 days … he has to be considered a trade possibility since he was in the past. Nothing has changed in that regard.

7. Scooter - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:07 PM

oboy oboy oboy oboy oboy they're gonna play a game! A real live game!!!1!

8. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM

9. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Gausman – BaltimoreAppel – PitsburghGiolito -NatsOh my gawd! A Boras client and the Angel'Os? (Of course!) Please Mike Rizzo get us out of there!

10. alm - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM

We played scrabble last night – scrabble!!Welcome back Nats, we missed you.Fry the fish ;>)

11. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Why would you trade him now? To get what in return? A lead-off hitter until Werth returns?Everybody likes to think short-term, while the Nats FO is always thinking long-term (with the exception of the Werth deal but nobody is perfect)?If they are going to get a slot-in replacement for Strasburg its going to be somebody with the equivalent talent level of Stras and Gio who is under 30 and under team control. That is the ONLY scenario I foresee and it is always a possibility given this FO.They will not Dempster dive, they will not go for Bourn.

12. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:16 PM

13. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:19 PM

JZim has two recent loses when the bull pen couldn't hold the lead. Tonight lets go all way Zim.Zimmermann will win the most games of any starter in the 2nd half when its needed most. The guy is a bull.

14. #4 - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM

On another note, they also need to say no to the three month rental. In a previous life I was a Detroit Tiger fan. In 1987, the Tigers faced a similar situation, locked in a pennant race and needing one more arm. They traded for Doyle Alexander from the Braves who proceeded to go 9-0 with a 1.53 ERA to put the Tigers over the top in the AL East. The player they gave up? John Smoltz. As a Tiger fan I would have rather had the 20 years of Smoltz than one division title. mick said… and what happen, The Twins who won the AL west with only 83 wins upset your Tigers in the playoffs that season. The Tigers I believe won over 100 games that seasonThe actually won 98. and you've made my point exactly. The play-offs are such a dart throwing exercise that it's not worth mortgaging the future.

15. #4 - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM

The Twins won 85 – fewer games won than FOUR teams in the AL East that year. The Yanks finished 4th with 89 wins. Back then it was really tough to make the play-offs in the AL East.

16. Doc - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Good to know that you are on the beat down in Miami, Mark!GooooooooooooooooooNaaaaaaaaaaaaats!!!!!!!

17. MicheleS - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM

i would like fried Fish for dinner! GYFNG!

18. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Looks like Amanda didn't make it back …

19. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:31 PM

30 minutes to judgement day for Mike Rizzo … lots of caterwauling about it being another Crow should he fail in his mission.

20. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Endy Chavez replaces Xavier Avery? The O's are going old … and fast.

21. hiramhover - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM

lots of caterwauling about it being another Crow should he fail in his mission.Ok, I'll bite–who exactly, are said caterwaulers? Or do you just mean yourself?

22. TimDz - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:52 PM

4:52 PM…Do YOU know if your 2012 first round draft pick has signed?

23. NatsLady - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM

At least the deadline isn't at midnight…

24. NatsLady - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Nathan Fenno โ€@nathanfennoDrew Storen will make another rehab appearance for Harrisburg. "His arm's not quite there," Davey Johnson said. #Nationals

25. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Ok, I'll bite–who exactly, are said caterwaulers? Or do you just mean yourself?Not me. Chris Needham has his needles sharpened and ready. Not sure but NFA Brian was never very happy about how the whole Crow deal went down. #FireJimBowden. Then there's NationalsProspects.com.They might recover some if Rizzo goes out and signs the 25th-27th round picks overslot. All are pretty decent prospects. Thrown in #15. Still after the Crow fiasco … its not going to be pretty.

26. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Ok, I'll bite–who exactly, are said caterwaulers? Or do you just mean yourself?Needham_Chris: Test. This is a test. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! #FIRERIZZO B OOOOOOO This was only a test.Does that answer your question Hiram Hover? Lots of Nats aficionados just as invested in seeing the Nats as perennial winners as the many newbies who just want to see Strasburg burn out his arm going for the WS this year.Some of us actually have brains.

27. NatsLady - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Jim Callis โ€@jimcallisBA#Nationals have signed 1st-rder Lucas Giolito.

28. Drew - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM

If true, WOO HOO!

29. NatsLady - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Oh, Ye of little faith.

30. NatsLady - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Dan Kolko โ€@masnKolkoThere it is. #Nats exceed bonus pool limit and will pay a tax, but don't spend full amount. RT @keithlaw: Nats sign Giolito. $2.925 million.

31. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Yay! Rizzo once again completed Job #1!

32. JD - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I hate to say I told you so but I told you so. They exceeded the max but not to the point of losing draft picks. As always last minute deal.

33. hiramhover - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Glad to hear the tweets that the deal is done!And peric – I'm sure the fire Rizzo crowd will find something else to get themselves ginned up about.

34. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Lucas Giolito–>Auburn

35. Drew - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Great news. Fantastic.With flamethrowers Giolito and Meyer in the stable I feel a lot better about trading A.J. Cole.

36. SonnyG10 - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Hooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

37. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Orioles and Nats succeed, but the Pirates with a Boras client fail.

38. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM

With flamethrowers Giolito and Meyer in the stable I feel a lot better about trading A.J. Cole.And so does the system. With righty Giolito and lefty Moneyham the arsenal of power pitchers again gains depth.

39. Brian Hernandez - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM

So now we can say that taking Giolito at #16 was a BRILLIANT strategy, as well as using several subsequent picks to (over-)draft sure-fire signees under their benchmark amounts. Wow! Remember, Rizzo detractors, this coulda easily backfired. Give Rizzo credit for taking the smart gamble and winning. This is how teams get a leg up on the competition!! Giolito is probably going to be a lot better than a #16 pick would imply. The future looks bright!:-)

40. Grandstander - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM

So, can someone more enlightened than me explain in more depth about the fine? Does it multiply over time or something? What's the disincentive beyond just paying a few more bucks?

41. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:18 PM

What did I tell everbody?

42. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Give Rizzo credit for taking the smart gamble and winning. This is how teams get a leg up on the competition!! Giolito is probably going to be a lot better than a #16 pick would imply. All or nothing draft. If they didn't sign Giolito it would have been a horrible draft. That was a pretty big gamble.

43. Steady Eddie - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM

peric @ 5:18: If they didn't sign Giolito it would have been a horrible draftSo the LHP Mooneyham you touted as a "power pitcher at 5:14 is "horrible"?

44. hiramhover - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM

GrandstanderIf you actually have the stomach for it, the CBA in on-line:http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdfthe relevant portion is on p. 270-71. A team that goes up to 5% over its total ppol has to pay a 75% "tax" on that overage; if they go 5% or more over, they suffer that penalty, plus are prevented from offering more than $500K to more than 1 pick in the following year's draft; over 10%, they start losing draft picks.So short answer: yes, they pay 75% "tax" on something like $100-150K. No big whoop.

45. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:28 PM

The Braves ARE getting desperate. They're putting Ben Sheets in the rotation.

46. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM

So the LHP Mooneyham you touted as a "power pitcher at 5:14 is "horrible"?There really isn't all that much after those two … until the 25th, 26th, and 27th rounds. Those three could make a draft decent as opposed to horrible but they weren't signed now were they?

47. peric - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:32 PM

The Phillies failed to sign their 2nd rounder … Be interesting to see how Keith Law grades this draft.

48. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:33 PM

About Storen–perhaps the Nats have finally learned their lesson about bringing players back too soon . I am ok with them using every day of their rehab.

49. SonnyG10 - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Man do we have a good GM or what! I hope they pay him well so he never leaves.

50. NatsLady - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:37 PM

O's also went over slot. Gonna be some fines paid, I guess.

51. SonnyG10 - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I wonder who gets to keep the fines. Bud Selig?

52. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:09 PM

The money gets distributed to "small market" teams according to some double-secret formula.

53. natsfan1a - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Ah, baseball. Let me see if I remember how it works. It's a simple game, as I recall. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball. Yes, I do believe that's the way it's done. Batter up.Go, Jordan! Go, NATS!!

54. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Take a deep breath– here we go!!!

55. sm13 - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:42 PM

First place Nats back in action! Let's get some runs for Jordan.

56. Positively Half St. - Jul 13, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Daniel-You are welcome here, of course, but we are not Fish fans. Your input and perspective would be really interesting, if you can get past the ill-wishes for Miami.+1/2St.

57. JaneB - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM

After a long real baseball drought…. Baseball!!!GYFNG! Drown those fish. Have fun NatsJack!

58. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Sweet……Flo-Rida throws like a girl but did get the pitch from the mound to the catcher on the fly.

59. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Buckle up, everybody. It's a pennant race, and we're under way in the second half. It's going to be one long joy rider.GYFNG!!

60. Swift Eagle - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM

NO!! Can't change helmet colors now! "Never F*** with a winning streak" Crash DavisBesides, they look like the Angels…

61. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Nicely done, kid! Way to hustle.

62. Swift Eagle - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM

WOW!! Just like little league!!

63. sm13 - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I noticed the helmets, too. I wondered if they just shipped the wrong ones to Miami.

64. JaneB - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:16 PM

SaWEET! Go bryce

65. joemktg - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I've got 14U boys that I would ream out if I saw that. Not acceptable.

66. JaneB - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM

That was NOT A STRIKE! Incredible.

67. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I've got 14U boys that I would ream out if I saw that. Not acceptable.Just got here. What happened?

68. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM

oh, and I've always found anger to be the enemy of instruction. Just sayin.

69. joemktg - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa: Harper on 2nd; SS and 3B have a brief conference on the edge of the grass as P starts to walk to top of bump; Harper takes off and steals 3rd. Smart by Harper, not MLB smart by Marlins.

70. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM

But I did tune in just in time to see ball four to Morse. Geez what a bad call, again. RE-PLAY!

71. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Ah, somebody forgot to call time. Got it.

72. Swift Eagle - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Gameday still on break? Not working for me…

73. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:27 PM

well, "ask for" time. I sorta did that once in a game, catching, going out to talk to the pitcher, I asked for time, but didn't wait to see if I got it. HP didn't hear me, apparently, and the base ump saw me ask, but never called it.

74. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Golly, I love hearing Johnny. "LaRoche flying around … rounding … [would you believe] headed for second."

75. efowl4 - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Anyone having trouble with MLB.tv? Have the commercial "this game will begin shortly screen" screen on all my devices.

76. JaneB - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Hmmm. I don't love hearing Johnny so much. Wish it was all FP.

77. Swift Eagle - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:36 PM

J. Holliday…talk about a guy who's lost his fastball…I've already switched over to Charlie and DaveMy MLBtv is working, but no Gameday available yet

78. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:36 PM

You kinda have to roll with him, JaneBee

79. Feel Wood - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Johnny Holliday on PBP. Gonna be a looooooooong four day weekend. Second inning of the first game and he's already sounding confused.

80. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM

FWood, true, but he has such nice pipes doing it.

81. djinFl. - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM

We can not get the radio crew through gameday.Stuck with Marlins tv crew, that blackout rule.

82. Feel Wood - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Nice pipes are a good thing for a top 40 DJ or a dinner theater actor. For a PBP announcer, way overrated.

83. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I spose. I just like listening to him wrestle the pxp to a draw. And FP is mostly letting him twist there.

84. djinFl. - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Well you could have an interview with kids in grass skirts and not see the Lombo hit. Then there was the setting of the infield and not see Harp steal. I will take Johnny any day.

85. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Harper has shaved the beard, again. Working on that 2-part double-decker moustache. FP, I love you man, but Harper is not a "very very good outfielder," and if he "did not miss a fly ball" in the All-Star game, well, he didn't catch it.

86. Feel Wood - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Johnny Holliday is doing the impossible. He's making me long for the MASN Orioles combined broadcast booth.

87. Swift Eagle - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Ryan hits the centerpiece!

88. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Zimm didn't miss that! BangZoom! center field!3-0 Nats.

89. NatsLady - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Good, some runs for JZ.

90. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I like the red hardhats with this grey road uni.

91. ehay2k - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Best comment by Johnny H. – "That pitch didn't work, did it FP?"Zimmnn only needs to hit a dinger himself to have a comfy lead.

92. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I like how Jordan Zimmermann heads to the ball on foul popups. I don't want him running into railings, I just like that he plays baseball, not just pitches.

93. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM

And a nice hard single for LEFTY Danny to lead off the fourth.

94. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I love Johnny H, he is an icon and a class act

95. ehay2k - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Crazy DP turned by Infante. But either way, I believe the inning would have been over because Zimnn would have hit into a standard DP.

96. ehay2k - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Mick, Johnny is indeed and icon, but he is a pretty pixelated one these days.

97. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Open mouth closed mouth! I had no idea!! Thank you FP!!!

98. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:28 AM

All these pitches the Marlins are complaining about have been strikes per Pitch F/X…Get them back in the box!

99. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Jane, think of a very exaggerated YOOOOOOUUUUUU with pursed lips, vs. MEEEEEE stretched wide through clenched teeth.

100. DWS - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Apparently "The Game Will Begin Shortly". Took a night off to watch it. Sure hope it's archived.So far so good. Gameday will have to suffice.

101. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM

which also works in Spanish. Not sure what they do in Japan.

102. ehay2k - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Well, for Spanish-speaking Japanese, it's the same.

103. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:36 AM

That's a good point, ehay.

104. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Oh, and to answer my own question at the top of the post, yes, the roof is closed. Ozzie said he has requested it be open, because G-d is clearly not hearing his prayers as it is, and he'd like to make it easier. I wonder if he's considered what would happen if he makes heaven actually watch his team play. Could backfire. Just sayin.

105. ehay2k - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Good point about the roof. Not sure G-d would be wild about the stadium or uniform colors either. Not seen in nature, and all that…But, I bet there's a Castro listening on AM radio, so Ozzie's got that going for him, which is nice.

106. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Yeah, did anyone ask Fidel if he is an Ozzie Guillen fan?

107. ehay2k - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Maybe he reads NI and will post a repsonse?

108. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I partly blame FP for this and I love Jesus, I do, but I amReally Missing Wilson now.

109. ehay2k - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:51 AM

LaRoche's value just grows and grows.

110. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:51 AM

So how many innings is that, where Znn walks off the field with a K for the final out?

111. ehay2k - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I love me some Desi. He got Hanley that time.

112. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Take a strike, Flores, let Desmond get to second.

113. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Would be good if the PBP guy knew a ball from a strike. I'll shut up now.

114. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Better still if the HP ump did, Jane. Just sayin.

115. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:59 AM

WOW, Desmond scored from second on that??!! GREAT baserunning!

116. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:00 AM

How much you want to bet Mark is out of the box?

117. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Even Flores thought that was going to be caught. Great read by Ian

118. ehay2k - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM

"Dangit!!! – why didn't Flores go to Second? Gaah – these Nats are infuriating."This Complimentary Neganon post brought to you by Maalox.Nice bloop Flores, and great base running Desi. Just don't give LaRoche a flat tire. Man was he close behind him!

119. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I love Ian Desmond. That is all.

120. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I'm sorry Johnny. WHAT is the score??????

121. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:05 AM

JaneB said… I love Ian Desmond. That is all.You speak for all of us on that count, Jane.

122. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM

@MicheleS: It's beer stein night next Friday against the Braves? I'm off that night. You interested? I'll buy (tickets, that is). Let me know.

123. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I feel bad because I'm not usually a negative person but sheesh!When did Jose cut his hair?Our guys are playing like real big leaguers, making runs and Jordan is bringing it. Think of all the new fans this is making.

124. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM

The Wave……awfull.

125. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Web gem from Harper!!!!

126. DannyEllinosa - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Jane, gotta love Johnny. Our own dotty Godfather of DC Airwaves on PBP. Kind of a test to see if we're all paying attention!

127. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Zimm has arrived for real. This is how we will feel about Stras next year.Jack, help the wave. It only hurts the home team.

128. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Maybe that's it, DannyEllinosa. It's like watching a game with your grandfather, who knew Hank Aaron personally, but gets the baseball parts wrong half the time. You're watching the game, too, so you don't need much pxp really. It's just fun hanging out. Or not, in some cases. YMMV.

129. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Sunshine.. I wish I could go, but I am actually going to be in Cooperstown for the Hall of fame Inductions Ceremonies (honoring Ron Santo for my Pops) And i am such a sucker for free stuff!

130. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:20 AM

JaneB.. Marlins have a hair length rull like the Yankees, Jose cut his hair on MLB Network before the season began (Harold Reynolds cut some of it off)

131. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:21 AM

MicherleS you can have my beer stein.

132. sjm308 - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Test

133. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:24 AM

No problem, MicheleS, we'll do it later. Great that you're going to the Hall. Will be a great day for Chicago. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Tell me all about it when you get back.Any chance you're going out to the matinee on Thursday? Will be with Wanda, my 83-year-old mother-in-law. You two would REALLY hit it off! We'll be in 134 … next to last row, in the shade.

134. sjm308 - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:25 AM

MicheleleS enjoy Cooperstown! So much fun

135. UnkyD - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Checking in with gameday… Looks like JZ is on the attack? Not so much with the nibbling? We really do have three Aces!GYFNG!!!!!

136. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Gulp

137. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:28 AM

The resurrection of MPH Rod has begun: in a meaningful game, in a pennant race, middle of the Fish order. Mow 'em down!

138. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Davey???

139. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Heeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre's Henry!(who's warming up?)

140. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Really, the Marlins have a hair length rule? So Ozzie is ok with bad language but not hair?

141. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:30 AM

(Michael Gonzalez)

142. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Henry!!! That's a good one!

143. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:31 AM

In some ways, Henry is like a knuckleball pitcher. No one knows where the ball is going, and you pretty much can't hit it anyway, so he just throws until you strike out or walk; rinse and repeat.

144. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:34 AM

haha good comparison sofa.

145. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:34 AM

my gameday is not working. anyone else having same problem?

146. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:35 AM

why do I feel like Fred G Sanford everytime HRod pitches? lol

147. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Oh my. Davey????

148. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Yep, JZim with another Ace start. Like I said, why wasn't he an All-Star.

149. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Is a 5-0 lead enough for Henry (and us)… mmm.. going to find the Maalox..Sunshine, won't be at Matinee, will be heading up to NY That day. I would love to meet the Mother In Law!

150. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:36 AM

For love of my stomach lining! GOOD GRIEF! I don't know if I can take this!

151. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:36 AM

why do you do this to yourself Davey?

152. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:37 AM

its the big one Elizabeth!!! lol

153. phil dunton - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Where is the short leash for this turkey?? This guy deserves no more chances.

154. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:37 AM

I do NOT like what I'm seeing in Henry's eyes right now. I've seen that look before, and it's always bad.

155. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Come on Henry. Shut down!

156. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Why dO you dO this to US Davey? And toOur guys???

157. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Why??? Giving them life! We have trouble with the Marlins as is, needed to put them away,,,

158. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I have broken out my second half case of bourbon and Maalox. Now Henry, this has to last the entire rest of the season, pal.Pitch to the mitt, not the backstop, please.

159. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I'm coming to join you Elizabeth!!! take care of the junk yard, Lamont, you big dummy!

160. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I'mSnatching myself bald.

161. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I guess Davey is out of stomach lining too.

162. phil dunton - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Henry leaves with a big smile on his mug–how insulting!

163. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:41 AM

that's not a smile, phil.

164. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I think we know who goes down when Storen comes back

165. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Thank you Michael!!!!

166. jeffwx - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

show em how it's done, MG

167. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

yeah, his mouth got wider, but that's humiliation.

168. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Strange move by Davey…Jordan was cruising

169. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

One-pitch DP.Now that will preserve the bourbon and Maalox supply!

170. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:42 AM

So, as I was about to say, you people worry too much.

171. Secret wasian man - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:43 AM

SHAME ON YOU DAVEY JOHNSON. Your players deserve better.

172. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I will take it.

173. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I hope Davey has seen enough of Henry for 2012, I know I have

174. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Well, one-pitch Gonzalez to the rescue! I dunno about Henry… Saw CMW made a throwing error and gave up 3 runs. Maybe not the best day for "projects"? Senators didn't score any runs so he took the loss.

175. UnkyD - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Well Henry….. ?Davey may be noticing some writing…On the wall?Rats

176. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Obviously Davey is crazier than us. Unless JZim said something no reason to take him out with 86 pitches. Also Hrod afte the second walk would have on the pine. What is he thinking. Mark find out please this idiotic.

177. Section 135 - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:44 AM

No place for an HRod on a team competing for the division. He's talented but that won't help you in September when you can't throw strikes. Throw in his 5 cent head and I can't see him ever pitching in meaningful games in sept. Everyone else in the bullpen has a role and some value.

178. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Against the Nats, the Marlins are never out of a game…I really wanted to see Jordan shut them out…

179. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:44 AM

why do you do this to yourself Davey?They need H-Rod for the stretch run … its 5 to zippy? When else do you put the guy in the game? There's also the possibility of raising his trade value. Or seeing if they can stick with Henry in lieu of someone else? Henry's is working himself out of a job … not with the run scoring hit. But with the walk and the almost wild pitches.

180. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Yes, I'm a little surprised at Davey, he said he was going to leave the starters in longer, and what was the reason to take JZ out? I would love to build him up to a complete game!

181. Drew - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM

What was Davey Johnson thinking?What was he watching?Where was he going?

182. Secret wasian man - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I don't care how good the apple pie is HR is bringing to Daveys house. CMON!!!! This isn't rec league.

183. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:46 AM

The only defense for Davey is that, a 5-0 game was a good time to find out if Henry was ready to be a significant factor for this team the second half of the season. Now it should be clear that HRod should be shut down for 2012 and give him one more shot in 2013.

184. phil dunton - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Didn't the Nationals learn anything from their terrible Daniel Cabera experience? Fast ball pitchers with absolutely no control are nothing more than big teases.

185. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:47 AM

phil…. excellent point!

186. JaneB - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I get the upside of Henry. I do. But I am ready for someone else to get his head right . This is Serious Baseball now.

187. djinFl. - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Davey continues to save his staff for a late season run. I wish he would do it without risking our hearts, livers or stomach linings.

188. Secret wasian man - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:49 AM

We were 1 swing from game being 5-4. you want to give Henry a chance? wait for 10-0

189. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:49 AM

My guess is that both HRod and Wang are done this year. This means there is room for only Storen and Lannan, or Storen and Dempster/Grienke?My guess is that it will be Lannan and Storen

190. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Danny–lefty again! Nice.

191. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Mick is on fire tonight! Love the old Sanford and Sons quotes..And super happy that Danny has gotten a couple of hits tonight!

192. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:49 AM

yes sir Danny!

193. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I think we know who goes down when Storen comes backNo more options left on Henry. They'd have to try to trade him because they know he'll get claimed once they waive him. Its still a choice between Stammen and Mattheus who are still a phone call away. Its a competition between Mattheus, Storen, H-Rod, and to a lesser extent Stammen who is the long-man/spot starter on the right side. Clippard is the closer.

194. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:50 AM

lol micheleS

195. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Mike Gonzalez.. who knew! So far kind of a nice suprise.Where is Carp?

196. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:52 AM

peric, Stammen has to stay, I think I would move Gorzo down and just let HRod go periodif there is room, why not bring up a Rosenbaum just for the experience

197. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:52 AM

What the???

198. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:54 AM

why Danny, why Bo

199. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Does Gorzo even have an Option? I didn't think he did (I thought we had hashed out how has options and who doesn't)I get why Davey brought HROD in. the 5-0 lead was enough and he had Mike G warming up pretty quick. I do see another "cough" injury to HROD before too long

200. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:56 AM

it's 5-1 right?? They're playing like it' 10-1..I'm blaming the helmets…