Jul 13, 2012, 11:07 PM EDT
MIAMI — Despite initial hopes to have Drew Storen make his season debut in tonight's second-half opener, the Nationals decided the reliever needs a bit more time on a minor-league rehab assignment to build up his arm strength before pitching in the big leagues.
The Nationals originally planned for Storen to make four rehab appearances with Class A Potomac and then come off the disabled list in time for tonight's game against the Marlins. But Storen (who has missed the entire season to date after surgery to remove a bone spur from his elbow) noted some arm fatigue during the latter stages of his two-inning stint last night at Class A Potomac, and club officials want him to make at least one more rehab appearance, perhaps more.
"The consensus from the coaches that watched him was that his arm strength is not quite where it needs to be, and that he gets a coupleRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?