Jul 14, 2012, 10:27 PM EST
Updated at 10:23 p.m.
Burnett does not believe the discomfort is serious, and he even hoped to be available to pitch in Saturday night’s game against the Marlins. Manager Davey Johnson espoused a more cautious approach and even suggested the disabled list was a “big consideration” for the left-hander.
“He’s too valuable to us to take a chance,” Johnson said. “The thing that concerns me is, he had four days off at the [All-Star] break, and he’s having a little problem over there. But from what I gather, it’s been bothering him for some time. So I don’t really know what to think about it, other than to give him some rest.”
After the game, though, Johnson said Burnett had received some anti-inflammatory medication and might be available to pitch Sunday afternoon.
Burnett, who faced one batter in Friday night’s win and struck him out, said his arm actually feels better when he pitches and believes the issue is merely muscle tightness. He played catch in the outfield Saturday during batting practice.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?