Jul 14, 2012, 10:27 PM EDT
Updated at 10:23 p.m.
Burnett does not believe the discomfort is serious, and he even hoped to be available to pitch in Saturday night’s game against the Marlins. Manager Davey Johnson espoused a more cautious approach and even suggested the disabled list was a “big consideration” for the left-hander.
“He’s too valuable to us to take a chance,” Johnson said. “The thing that concerns me is, he had four days off at the [All-Star] break, and he’s having a little problem over there. But from what I gather, it’s been bothering him for some time. So I don’t really know what to think about it, other than to give him some rest.”
After the game, though, Johnson said Burnett had received some anti-inflammatory medication and might be available to pitch Sunday afternoon.
Burnett, who faced one batter in Friday night’s win and struck him out, said his arm actually feels better when he pitches and believes the issue is merely muscle tightness. He played catch in the outfield Saturday during batting practice.
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today