Jul 14, 2012, 10:27 PM EDT
Updated at 10:23 p.m.
Burnett does not believe the discomfort is serious, and he even hoped to be available to pitch in Saturday night’s game against the Marlins. Manager Davey Johnson espoused a more cautious approach and even suggested the disabled list was a “big consideration” for the left-hander.
“He’s too valuable to us to take a chance,” Johnson said. “The thing that concerns me is, he had four days off at the [All-Star] break, and he’s having a little problem over there. But from what I gather, it’s been bothering him for some time. So I don’t really know what to think about it, other than to give him some rest.”
After the game, though, Johnson said Burnett had received some anti-inflammatory medication and might be available to pitch Sunday afternoon.
Burnett, who faced one batter in Friday night’s win and struck him out, said his arm actually feels better when he pitches and believes the issue is merely muscle tightness. He played catch in the outfield Saturday during batting practice.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets