Jul 14, 2012, 10:27 PM EDT
Updated at 10:23 p.m.
Burnett does not believe the discomfort is serious, and he even hoped to be available to pitch in Saturday night’s game against the Marlins. Manager Davey Johnson espoused a more cautious approach and even suggested the disabled list was a “big consideration” for the left-hander.
“He’s too valuable to us to take a chance,” Johnson said. “The thing that concerns me is, he had four days off at the [All-Star] break, and he’s having a little problem over there. But from what I gather, it’s been bothering him for some time. So I don’t really know what to think about it, other than to give him some rest.”
After the game, though, Johnson said Burnett had received some anti-inflammatory medication and might be available to pitch Sunday afternoon.
Burnett, who faced one batter in Friday night’s win and struck him out, said his arm actually feels better when he pitches and believes the issue is merely muscle tightness. He played catch in the outfield Saturday during batting practice.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate