Game 85: Nats at Marlins

Jul 14, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Lefties Gio Gonzalez and Mark Buehrle square off tonight at Marlins Park.

MIAMI — Mike Rizzo sat in his suite at the Winter Meetings on Dec. 7 and expressed optimism the Nationals were going to sign Mark Buehrle to a three-year contract. The free agent left-hander and the Nats met in person and Rizzo believed "there was a connection there."

Within the hour, Buehrle signed a four-year, $58 million contract with the Marlins, leaving Rizzo and the Nationals to acquire a starting pitcher from somewhere else. Turns out that pitcher came from Oakland. His name was Gio Gonzalez, and he cost the Nats four top prospects in a trade.

Seven months later, the Nationals have no complaints about how the situation resolved itself. And tonight, they'll send Gonzalez (an All-Star with a 12-3 record and 2.92 ERA) to the mound against none other than Buehrle (8-8 with a 3.25 ERA) in a juicy twist of fate.

Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Indoors

2B Danny Espinosa
CF Bryce Harper
RF Michael Morse

1. Doc - Jul 14, 2012 at 7:40 PM

This will be fun to watch if the goofballs at MLB internet TV have gotten their technical act together. Both the Nats' game and the Braves/Mets game was AWOL thanks to their incompetence.In other news, Buehrle is doing better than I thought that he would. But he's still no Gio!!GoooooooooooGioooooooo! GoNaaaaaaaaaaaats!!!!

2. Kirbs - Jul 14, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Giooooooooo!!!!!! Hoping for some Tmoore pop tonight.

3. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 14, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Hope to see more Gio 11 pitch no run innings like the All Star game!!! Also its TyMo time!!!!

4. SonnyG10 - Jul 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Fry the fish again! Go Nats!!!!

5. NCNatsie - Jul 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Just watched the Cubs beat Arizona on WGN. Dempster went six scorless to run his streak to 33 innngs. OTOH Greinke got shelled last night – 5 IP, 5 ER.I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

6. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Wild one in Toronto! You would think the Indians were getting blown out at 11-4. It's now 11-9…

7. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Just watched the Cubs beat Arizona on WGN. Dempster went six scorless to run his streak to 33 innngs. OTOH Greinke got shelled last night – 5 IP, 5 ER.Hmmm, well one guy is 35 years old. Say it slowly Jason Marquis. Ring a bell? The other guy figures he's just about to get traded. That can't be easy for him, given how sensitive he is to where he goes. Nevertheless his pitched Runs Above Average ranks at the same level as Gio Gonzalez and Stephen Strasburg which indicates he is a true #1 top-of-the-rotation starter at age TWENTY EIGHT.

8. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Maybe we'll see Stammen pitch 2 or 3 scoreless? Last I looked he had a better pRAA, tRA and ERA than Dempster and he is under 30 last I looked?

9. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Both the Nats' game and the Braves/Mets game was AWOL thanks to their incompetence.Some sort of cascading Internet storm … likely due to the Indians running MLB and other sites not believing that Russians had put up faux DNS nodes that the FBI just shut down after a year of leaving them up but routing packets them to the right places …

10. natsfan1a - Jul 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Clap-clap, clap-clap-clap, clap-clap-clap-clap – GIO!!

11. ehay2k - Jul 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM

peric – you know a lot about baseball, but after that last post, I can't shake vision of you with aluminum foil on your head as you use your computer. Stick to baseball. ;-)

12. NCNatsie - Jul 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Peric, if we see Stammen get to 33 scoreless, I'll start listening to your argument. I'm just talking about this year, so I don't care how old Dempster is. I say he can help us after Stras goes down, help us clinch the pennant and win the world series.I bring up Greinke only because some have been saying he's the guy we should go get, and I'm totally against that because RIGHT NOW, he's not as good, and also he's an egotistical head case who will cause trouble with the chemistry. So you've got 3 sides that have been talked about on this blog: 1 – go with what we've got, 2 – Get Grienke, 3 – Get Dempster (me).So let's see what the FO decides. Until then, lets fillet some more fish!!!

13. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM

So let's see what the FO decides. They'll go for Grienke, unless a Gio-like deal appears (admittedly preferable) Gee, its why they risked it all for Giolito!Ddoh (claps back of NCNatsie's head with why didn't you see that!) which is why I predicted that pick, right there on the spot! I can't shake vision of you with aluminum foil on your head as you use your computer. Oh, ho hum, look up the name of the guy the FBI arrested and charged in that case. Oh he's Russian … doh. Yep, they seem to think since they are better than most in Mathematics and by osmosis, Computer Science they can commandeer the Internet for their purposes. A lot of resentment and bitterness over how it all started here … the Internet is kind of a very cool recent rendition of a Jungian archetype … a very ancient desire telepathy … in fact a deeper more profound empathetic sort … better than canals, railroads, highways etc. Far more personal … As for the Indians they believe they are smarter and better than us. Which is funny. They typically ignore warnings from the National Computer Security Center e.g. the NSA. And the NSA? They wouldn't be able to even come close doing their job without the the "brainiacs" from Princeton who resided at the IDA Communications Research Division. But I digress … Aluminum foil … hmmm … better carbon paper … since according to Brit Physicist James Burke, led eventually, to the moonshot.

14. ehay2k - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Except peric, and this is pretty amazing since you are normally a stickler for facts, that the DNS hijacking was quashed months ago, and the shutdown of the whole thing that caused some user's PCs, and not servers, to lose internet access happened a week ago. So last night's MLB Gameday issues had nothing to do with it.This is actually my space, from NightDragon to Stuxnet to Flame. You know not of which you speak.Stick to baseball.

15. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Braves getting Greinke, according to Twitter.

16. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM

that the DNS hijacking was quashed months ago, and the shutdown of the whole thing that caused some user's PCs, and not servers, to lose internet access happened a week ago. So last night's MLB Gameday issues had nothing to do with it.Again, up until very recently the packets were re-routed by the FBI. Then a couple of days ago (not a week) they finally shutdown the placeholders assuming everyone had listened and expunged the bad DNS records. And whooooaahh suddenly yesterday MLB goes down. Half of Europe can't see photos or manage their Facebook accounts? Lots of strange "coincidences" wouldn't you say.Not everyone listened ehay2k. Don't trifle with Guru's ehay2k, for you are crunchy and taste good with peanut butter.

17. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

You know not of which you speak.And unless you know which organization Don Knuth, Bob Sedgwick, and billionaire hedge fund founder Jim Simons worked at, or alt.flame? You know nothing about computing by comparison.

18. Nats212 - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Is this a CSI blog now? tought it was a baseball blog:)

19. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:32 PM

NatsLady? Who on twitter had that? I saw the trade with the Reds for a SS, but didn't see any of the Greinke talk.Ehay2k.. it's not worth it…

20. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWPDespite Burnett feeling unconcerned, Davey says DL is a "big consideration." Too valuable to take a chance, he says.So now we know what roster move will happen when Storen is ready.

21. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:36 PM

NatsLady.. Called it this morning.. when Kilgore posted that about the arm tigthness. I hope I am wrong, but it pushed the tougher decisions down the road.

22. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:37 PM

MLB Sports Report ‏@MLBSportsReportSounds like Randall Delgado and Jose Constanza might be going to the Brewers for Greinke. Looking to confirm. #Braves

23. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Thanks NL. hadn't seen that.

24. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Greinke said all along he liked Atlanta.

25. davem23 - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Will the shuffeling of the rotation allow Stras to pitch later into the season?

26. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:44 PM

NatsLady, what is odd, none of the big National writers have that yet. Haven't seen a peep on their twitter accounts

27. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Mark Zuckerman‏@MarkZuckermanPudge Rodriguez here to be honored by Marlins. Said #Nats called him in May when Ramos got hurt…Wow.. that's all I can say

28. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Yeah, Michele, you have to take it with a dome of salt–Twitter rumor.

29. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM

and more..Mark Zuckerman‏@MarkZuckermanPudge told agent to tell #Nats: "Leave the old man alone." Says he's keeping busy in retirement.

30. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolkoRT @ChiefsRadio: 1B Chris Marrero was placed on the DL today. The Chiefs also activated IF Josh Johnson from the restricted list.

31. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Yes, Pudge was never coming back. Not when you retire with the kind of fanfare he got in Texas. Said so at the time, and also at the time Ramos got hurt.

32. UnkyD - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:16 PM

LOVE the x-files stuff, guys!!!

33. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Unkyd.. Sadly, no Mulder on this blog… ;-)OOO lookey at that.. Mets are leading the Braves now…

34. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Ehay2k.. it's not worth it…And so the other dolt falls.

35. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM

If the Braves get Grienke that could mean wildcard for the Nats.

36. UnkyD - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM

More sadly…. No Skully ;-)

37. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Ho Hum MicheleS … yawn …The Braves acquired infielder Paul Janish from the Reds Saturday in exchange for pitcher Todd Redmond. The Braves have been trying to acquire a shortstop since Andrelton Simmons broke his right hand last Sunday.Janish, who will report to the Braves Sunday, played all season at Triple-A Louisville and hit .237 in 49 games. He played 114 games with the Reds in 2011 and hit .214.“In evaluating after Simmons was hurt and talking to our scouts, we felt Janish was the best defensive shortstop out there that we could acquire,” Braves general manager Frank Wren said. “He was the number one guy on our list. … He is a proven defensive talent and we felt for our club that was the most important aspect of the acquisition.”

38. Tim - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM

See ball. Hit ball.

39. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:30 PM

@jasonbenetti: R.A. Dickey last pitched against Syracuse 8-15-09. 7IP, 11H, 7ER, 2BB, 3K. HRs for Michael Morse and Pete Orr. #timeschange

40. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I like this one.@Kevin_Goldstein: Let's not start making up Ryan Dempster trades. Analyze the deals after they happen.

41. baseballswami - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Who is more of a challenge. Braves or Mets?

42. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:41 PM

@grantpaulsen: Stephen Strasburg on @MLBNetworkRadio this weekend: "They're going to have to rip the ball out of my hands." Alright, Mike Rizzo. Your play.

43. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Who is more of a challenge. Braves or Mets?Braves.With Grienke they could be like the Fish for the Nats the last half of a decade.

44. baseballswami - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM

45. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Looked back at the day of the Gio Trade. Some interesting stuff.. but a shout out to Sunshine in particular Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me said… I'm in the minority, I'm sure, but I think it's great. Rizzo's best deal since he got Mickey Morse for Ryan Langershlang. A legitimate ace to go along with Jesus and Z'mmnn. This staff is built to take on the Phillies, Marlins, Braves, ace for ace. I really like it. Five years from now, after we've raised the flag, and if Milone et al strike it rich, you can say I was wrong.Rizzo 1, Moneyball 0. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me said… And to all those people who think Rizzo got fleeced, I have one question:When was the last time Billy Beane won a World Series?

46. NCNatsie - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Amen, Swami.

47. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Really cool graphic (the secret is out):which surprise team will win?https://twitter.com/nextyeardc/status/224247817277947904/photo/1

48. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM

A Definite Read on last night's Hanley/Reyes Gaffe. Read the comment. Marlins Gaffe!

49. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

If Greinke can get comfortable and pitch outside of Milwaukee . And not get kicked out of games. And bring his own coffee on the road. Etc. etc .etc.Don't underestimate Grienke. It would be like the Phillies' acquisition of Oswalt or Roy Halladay. Except Grienke is a lot younger. And Atlanta can't do this unless they, like the Nats would, extend him immediately and thus avoid impending free agency. If all of that happens watch out!

50. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

600 tickets for Gio's close family and friends? And he warms up with headphones on!!! Gotta love me some Gio.

51. peric - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Really cool graphic (the secret is out):Harper and Strrasburg might be bigger names in Cali. And then there's Gio who got his start with Oakland. If Rendon had somehow made it up it would be 75% Nats I bet.

52. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM

NatsLady, I saw that and I thought the fact that PA went for the Nats was hilarious!!!Good to know we have a large Nats rooting section for Gio. NatsJack has tweeted some pics as well.

53. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Michele, thanks for the link, and the comments section. A great steaming load of schadenfreude!

54. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Sofa, I can only imagine what the blogs look like for the Marlins sites. BTW.. if this is a sell out, even the season ticket holders don't show up.

55. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM

great stuff gang, i just read through all of them

56. mick - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM

great stuff gang, i just read through all of them

57. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:18 PM

@MicheleS: Woman, I love you! Thanks for the pub!Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then.But thanks for remembering. I loved the Gio trade then. I love it even more now. And now we have Little Gio in the future.Let's go, Gio!

58. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:19 PM

It's sold out, but it's not attended out.

59. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Actually, Sunshine, that is the post I remember from that day, too. You nailed it, bro. Take the curtain call.

60. Candide - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Cunegonde and I at the Aberdeen Ironbirds tonight. Roderick Bernadina at the plate for the birds – The Shark's 19 year old brother.

61. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Yanno, in all fairness, that five-color M is starting to grow on me. Sorta like the old Houston jerseys.

62. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Thank you, Firm. I'm bowing to the Nats Insider nation.But I liked Nook Logan for awhile too!

63. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

64. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Candide, is he as ripped as Roger, or is it more of a Jose-Ozzie thing? Not that I'm implying anything about Roger. I'm not.

65. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Michele, he's not an athlete, he's a baseball player.

66. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I still like Nook Logan. I just don't want him on the Nats.

67. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Nats need to mess with Buehrle's fast pace…Step out, take a walk around the plate, ala Jeter, who is the master of playing the game at the pace he wants (not the pitcher)Can't let Buehrle dictate like that…

68. baseballswami - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Meta imploding. No relief pitching.

69. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Awww.. Pudge…

70. baseballswami - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM

That would be the Mets. Who are now losing.

71. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM

MicheleS…..several Fish fans were complaining about there 255 lb. singles hitter that's strictly a remtal.

72. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM

their

73. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Post of the day candidate from MicheleS: I realize that Carlos Lee owns a cattle ranch, but I didn't realize he ATE the cattle ranch. Wow.. He has gotten really big.I believe Carlos Lee has his own ZIP code now.He's still a few pounds below Todd Coffey, who I believe is the only D-cup in the majors.

74. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM

MLBtv giving subscribers 40% off at MLBShop.com b/c of last night's fiasco…May be time for me to buy the throwback jersey from a few weeks back…

75. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Swami which is why the Mets will slide. I don't remember who said it, but Games are Won or Lost in the bullpens.

76. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM

OK, they just replayed the Conine throw. Mark, with all due respect, that was a weak throw if I had been in left, and I'm … ummm, a lot older than Conine. And I never had much of an arm. It got in on, like, five hops, from about 200 feet. He was a fine major league ballplayer, no need to gild the dandelion.

77. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Swift.. That is an AWESOME DEAL. I had the 20% when I bought my Alternate Blue/Stars & Stripes Harper Jersey. (I am going to cringe when I open that charge bill – My Nephew got the Harper replica jersey that week too)

78. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:36 PM

LaRoche is fabulous at first…already 2 difficult plays that he has made look routine. I don't know if there's a Saber-Stat for that, but it's important

79. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Eagle, where are you seeing that discount?

80. Mark Zuckerman - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Mr. Sofa: Come on, Conine's 46 years old! All things considered, not a bad throw. Plus, he's one of my favorite players I've ever covered, so I couldn't throw him under the bus… :)

81. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Two Ks on curveballs. Imagine that.

82. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Stinkin Mets lost

83. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Wow, that is a big bill Michele..The Harper Blue Stars and Stripes is $251.99!! "Only" $180.99 for the Stras throwback.Might as well use the 40% off on a big purchase right?

84. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:42 PM

At 46, he's two years from qualifying for the league I play in. But I respect your deference, absolutely. And honestly, if I were in your shoes and able to be there, I'd totally be "MR. Conine." ; )

85. Swift Eagle - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:42 PM

NatsLady…they sent me an e-mail today at 6:10pm with an apology and a discount code…

86. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Buehrle has thrown 26 pitches through 3 and 20 of them for strikes. You can't take pitches, you have to swing.

87. Candide - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Sofa – baseball reference says he's 6'1" 162 pounds. Cunegonde says, "He looks small."

88. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM

O my.. Gio is a dealing. Now the Nats need to get him some runs.

89. realdealnats - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Good to see Gio going strong to the curve for his out pitch again.

90. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Two Ks on curveballs and one on the changeup. That's what he was doing in April.

91. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM

TY, Eagle. Got the coupon. Doesn't seem to have an expiration date. Can think of stuff I might want to buy…

92. MicheleS - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:57 PM

It's the 4th inning and they are doing the wave.. blah

93. rabbit34 - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I wonder where Morse will be delt? Same place as Werth?? I sure hope the Nats luck holds out. I still don't like their hitting. But, they're in first place so I guess it isn't needed! Go nats.

94. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:02 AM

where to begin?

95. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Whoa..a belt high fastball to Hanley…used to be a HR when the Nats threw him that pitch…Got a little lucky there…

96. NatsLady - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Boy, Desi with some SPEED!

97. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:08 AM

With the white uniforms, it looked like Desi was avoiding an Iceberg to get to 1st on that one..If only the Titanic had moved like that

98. MicheleS - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:08 AM

LFMAO!!! TOO FUNNY. Way to go IAN.

99. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:09 AM

That was a balk anyway!! Buerhle stepped towards home big time

100. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Swift, I'll have to go back and look for that. I thought he stepped off, but I wasn't paying that much attention.

101. MicheleS - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Ian is just great! he read that bloop great! and we are tied here in the 5th!

102. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Another Bloop RBI for Jesus! Very nice, but wow is Reyes fast, almost had it

103. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Come on Bryce, hit the Centerpiece like Ryan did yesterday

104. MicheleS - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:17 AM

The O's/Tigers game is still going on..

105. Joe Seamhead - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Gio's bunt was not very good, but Tyler Moore got a poor jump from second. The combo of the two mistakes cost us big time.

106. peric - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Flor-IDA – Kristine Ankra picked up quite the nice tan.

107. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM

OK, I watched the pickoff again. I didn't see a balk, but he didn't step off, either. Blown call, Desmond should have been out. Nats catch a break.

108. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM

TyMo did not get a good jump, Joe, indeed. The Marlins seem to be wanting to tire Gio out with making him field bunts. Hmmm. It's a strategy, I guess.

109. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Where was Espi playing?? He was in…Don't understand

110. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM

He was holding the runner close to second.

111. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Ironically, if he hadn't been doing that, he probably catches that ball.

112. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:30 AM

I know Sofa, but with #8 and #9 coming up, get the hitters…imo..

113. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:31 AM

So strange to see the Marlins having to play Small-Ball to score on the NatsUsed to be like watching HR Derby…

114. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I didn't say *I* thought it was a good idea. I'm not that fond of disrupting the defense to hold a guy on second, personally.

115. Fear and Ignorance - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:41 AM

116. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Wow, when your year is going down the tubes … that "strike 3" to Ramirez was about six inches outside.

117. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Or should I say, "When it's your year, it's your year."?

118. Fear and Ignorance - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Gotta love the 4 pitch lead-off walk to the fastest guy in the NL.

119. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Have I mentioned lately how much I can't stand Emilio Bonifacio?

120. baseballswami - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:10 AM

So are we not hitting, stranding runners, looking lost, hitting it right at people? How does it look to those of you watching it? Don't want to wait for Mark's nutshell.

121. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:11 AM

I hope nobody blames Gio, he pitched very well.Stammen keeps it 1 rungame may have been lost with Zim's at bat in 5th, we will see. At least he swung teh bat on 2-2.Every time I want to accept Espi, he does something to really tick me off. that NO SWING at bat last inning is unacceptable! What the heck was he doing?? Fast ball right down the middle of the plate and he looks at it like a deer in the headlights

122. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:11 AM

overall, a well played game

123. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:12 AM

btw… what is up with Morse???

124. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Morse is in that proverbial slump where he has no clue. Way too much thinking going on and not enough bat swinging.

125. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:15 AM

@Swami: Doesn't look bad at all. Nats ran into a buzzsaw with Buerhle, who was a beast. Total command. We've still got a shot. It's the late innings and it's Davey vs. Ozzie. Whom do you like?

126. Fear and Ignorance - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:17 AM

SWING THE BAT!!!

127. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Swami, Buerhle was pitching well, but there were a few ABs that could have turned it–Zimm with the bases loaded most obviously, but Gio forcing Tyler Moore at third on a would-be sac bunt didn't help.

128. MicheleS - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Swami, Buerhle.. he is pretty good, we just got into the bullpen. Choate just got Bryce to K (one borderline pitch that Bryce wasn't happy with). And hopefully we can get that bullpen to cough up some runs

129. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Honestly, they look a little flat at the plate.

130. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Morse looks uncomfortable from here.

131. Fear and Ignorance - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Morse for Dempster. Morse for Dempster.

132. MicheleS - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Hmm Morse needs to swing at that pitch. I wonder who comes out in the top of the 9th for the Fish.

133. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:22 AM

MicheleS….nobody is warming up and everybody around me is hoping it's Ceshak.

134. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Michele, I'm pretty sure it won't be Bell. Seriously, no reason not to leave Cishek in, is there?

135. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I'm hoping it's anybody but Cishak. Doesn't he have a plane to catch, or a class to go to, or something?

136. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:26 AM

How many teams do you know where you HOPE they bring in their closer in a 2-1 game in the 9th?

137. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Morse appears to be on all star break still. His 8 at bats in this series have been extremely weak. What happened over the break that he has come out so weak.

138. NatsLady - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Do the Nats EVER throw out a runner stealing?

139. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Opponents are 55-67 stealing v the Nats now…need to fix that

140. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Davey obviously belongs to Optimists International:He has MPH Rod warming in a one-run game.

141. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Wow. Davey. Henry? To borrow a line from The Magnificent 7, "Mister, I admire your sense of fair odds."

142. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Make that 57 of 69

143. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Wow. Carlos Lee just stole second base on you. Granted, a double steal, but still.

144. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Derek….and it's the total inability to hold runners. So to borrow a phrase from our buddy JayB……Thats's a McCatty fail.

145. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Id still walk Hanley here, he's cold, but seen him beat us too often

146. phil dunton - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Bonofacio kills the Nats.

147. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:33 AM

The go ahead run tonight was scored b/c the Nats were trying to hold Bonafacio, when there was no chance of ever throwing him out anyway..

148. Firm Possession, My Gorsehacken Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:33 AM

So that K of Ruggiano was huge, after all. Nice job, all things considered.

149. NatsLady - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Stammen–nerves of STEEL… Let's win this one for him.

150. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Hanley Ramirez vs. Toothpick Bonifacio?All of life's choices should be as easy.

151. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Gio deserves better

152. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:37 AM

why why did that g damn ball not get out

153. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:38 AM

starting to like the Morse for Dempster trade

154. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:39 AM

it just would figure if Desi is hurt

155. NatsLady - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Desi not looking good.

156. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:40 AM

I guess our offense decided to take sat night off? Can't believe Morse had the nerve to look at the ump and that called strike!

157. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:40 AM

3rd strike to Desi was a great pitch, lots of late movement…tip your cap there

158. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:40 AM

C'Mon Flo!

159. Cameron - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:41 AM

How many looking strikeouts have been called in that exact same spot today? Their pitching has just dominated the Nats today.

160. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:41 AM

just a hit Jesus… please!

161. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Charlie keeps saying "Chisek Sets" try that one 5 times fast…

162. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:43 AM

of course…… typical Flores at bat with a runner in scoring position

163. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:43 AM

pathetic, swing teh damn bat you stiff!!!

164. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Jesus, that was a swing, are you joking???

165. Cameron - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Flores has 3 RBIs the past two games. Calm down Mick.

166. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:45 AM

@Swift: I can't even say it once.

167. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Gio was awesome! I don;t mine losing but when your star players are looking at third strike FAST BALLS down the middle of the plate, it really hurts

168. Nattering Nat - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:47 AM

You will soon learn, I am a master of the obvious.The Fish are the bane of our existence. The Nats need to at least split the next two, lest they give the FIsh confidence.A tough loss, a few key missed opportunities, Marlins had everything go right in their few. I hate for Buerhle to get the win, since he spurned us, though I will forever be grateful he's responsible for Gio getting here, so that's something be pleased about, anyway.

169. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Flores swings at one 12 inches outside? being a catcher he should understand what the pitcher is doing and lay off sliders that start outside in the first place.

170. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:47 AM

like I said, the game was over when Zim KO with bases loaded, at least Zim swung the bat.why not Morse for Dempster, whoever posted that is on to something

171. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Nattering Nat I will take Gio over Buerhle any time

172. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM

True, pitch recognition is a problem for Flores at times, a bit odd for a catcher…

173. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM

swift, this is where we miss Ramos

174. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:50 AM

overall, a well played game

175. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I thought Adam had tied it…. damn!!!

176. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:51 AM

if Zim takes the ball in the dirt it is 3-2 and Buerhle has to throw fast ball on 3-2

177. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:51 AM

agree with FP, Desmond may be hurt bad, i hope NOT!

178. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:52 AM

also, why DeRosa???

179. Secret wasian man - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:53 AM

bryce and espi killing us at 1 2.

180. Secret wasian man - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Stras tommor. Hope its not above 80 degrees. Here come the Braves.

181. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Secret wasian manunfortunately you are right.Bryce still struggles against lefties, he will work it out. Espi, I hate to say it is just too inconsistent and what hurts, he was batting right handed tonight and STUNK up the place

182. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I also think the Marlins are just one of these teams we can not beat 2or 3 times period. just one of those weird things.