Jul 15, 2012, 10:53 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Stephen Strasburg improved to 10-4 with six scoreless innings.
MIAMI — It’s easy to watch Stephen Strasburg mow through opposing lineups and forget how young and inexperienced he still is.
Sunday’s start in Miami was only the 35th of Strasburg’s big-league career, the equivalent of one full season. He’s been through so much and has so much talent, you tend to think he’s as polished as they get.
But there is still much for Strasburg to learn, another level for him to reach.
“What is he, 23 years old?,” Nationals pitching coach Steve McCatty said. “He’s got six weeks in the minor leagues. This is an awful tough level to learn at. He’s got tremendous ability, and he’s still putting up some pretty good numbers. But he’s going to have his moments and his games where we might see things that he doesn’t necessarily see. That’s why I always say it’s a learning process. He’s got to see it himself.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown