Jul 15, 2012, 10:53 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Stephen Strasburg improved to 10-4 with six scoreless innings.
MIAMI — It’s easy to watch Stephen Strasburg mow through opposing lineups and forget how young and inexperienced he still is.
Sunday’s start in Miami was only the 35th of Strasburg’s big-league career, the equivalent of one full season. He’s been through so much and has so much talent, you tend to think he’s as polished as they get.
But there is still much for Strasburg to learn, another level for him to reach.
“What is he, 23 years old?,” Nationals pitching coach Steve McCatty said. “He’s got six weeks in the minor leagues. This is an awful tough level to learn at. He’s got tremendous ability, and he’s still putting up some pretty good numbers. But he’s going to have his moments and his games where we might see things that he doesn’t necessarily see. That’s why I always say it’s a learning process. He’s got to see it himself.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees