Game 86: Nats at Marlins

Jul 15, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg tries to get back on track today at Marlins Park.

MIAMI — Stephen Strasburg, in a slump? Say it ain't so. OK, the word "slump" may be a bit excessive, but the right-hander has lost three straight starts for the first time in his career and has put 23 men on base over his last 15 innings. Those are very un-Strasburg-like numbers.

The All-Star hurler will try to get back on track today when he faces the Marlins in a matinee under the roof. Shouldn't have to worry at all about heat or humidity inside this facility.

Ricky Nolasco starts for Miami, and he'll face a Nats lineup that is without Ian Desmond for the first time since April 19 but may be without him for several days. Desmond's lingering left oblique strain got worse last night (which is why he was bunting in the ninth inning instead of swinging away). Davey Johnson said this morning he's hopeful Desmond won't need a DL stint, but just in case this lasts multiple days, he's putting Danny Espinosa at shortstop and Steve Lombardozzi at second.

Full story on that situation forthcoming. In the meantime, check back here for live game updates…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 1:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 89
Weather: Indoors

2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

Read more ยป

1. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM

The Fish's more expensove version of Henri.

2. peric - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM

And when did "God Bless America" become the "National Anthem"?Getting more than a tad maudlin. Hallow.

3. NatsLady - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM

MicheleS, yes, Sunday, and 4th of July, etc., as far as I know.

4. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM

5. peric - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM

The Fish's more expensove version of Henri.Heath Bell is 34, Henry is 25 (as you so quickly pointed out). Now, who would you rather have? I'd rather keep trying Henry at age 25 until he completely implodes. If he doesn't he may just turn out to be a good reliever if not great.

6. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Mattheus to start the 8th but Burnett warming up.

7. MicheleS - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Good to hear about Sean!

8. NatsLady - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM

LOL, Heath Bell!!!! NOW he pitches a 1-2-3 inning… Ozzie must be ready to eat that statue.

9. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Somebody just doesn't get it.

10. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:45 PM

peric, why so defensive. Did you think he was talking about you?Well, I wasn't, at the time, but now that you mention it … There are some people who are never wrong, just ask them. I'm not one of them.

11. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:45 PM

12. peric - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Somebody just doesn't get it.Lots of kettles and lots of pots we should have a tea party. Oh wait that's talking politics!

13. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Joeseammhead… maybe your right about roger on the squeeze, if he missed the sign, that would be on him, then again, why take a chance on roger, knowing he is a bonehead.

14. peric - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I am nervous about this move. If Burnett is hurting we will find out. Why not Gonzales?Four run lead. Good time to see how his elbow is feeling. Get him one batter if it isn't.

15. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Seam looks fine to me.

16. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Sean

17. MicheleS - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Nice pick by danny.Mick, think they are testing sean's elbow to see how it reacts. FP said he was on anti-inflammatories.

18. mick - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:51 PM

way to go Sean, I guess I am just a nervous nelli, lol

19. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Espi crushed that

20. Jim Webster - Jul 15, 2012 at 7:58 PM

21. Steve J, Alexandria - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Can't wait to see if Davey is honest with the viewers and reporters and informs us of what the hell was wrong with Ozzie.

22. SonnyG10 - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Wish we had Storen on hand.

23. peric - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Is Henry warming up?

24. Steve J, Alexandria - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:03 PM

And what's so wrong with GBA?

25. Steve J, Alexandria - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Clip looks like sh$#

26. Steve J, Alexandria - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Ha Ha "Is Henry warming up?" haha.

27. peric - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM

On Woody's 100th, might we retire "God Bless America" and sing "This Land Is Your Land" instead?How about something completely non-political, non-arrogant, non-chauvanistic (the real meaning of the word), older, and really lovely in the folk genre? Like "Oh, Shenadoah".

28. peric - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Ha Ha "Is Henry warming up?" haha.Its Gorzo or Henry at this point. More likely Gorzo.

29. MicheleS - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Come on CLIPP!!!!

30. Steve J, Alexandria - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:08 PM

peric" arent we already 'talking politics' when one poster voices disdain for God Bless America, and a sister poster votes for Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land" in its stead?Very slick if they think they weren't talking politics.

31. Steve J, Alexandria - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:09 PM

"swing and a miss; Got him!" Sweet words.How many here are looking forward to Carp's return? Johnny is simply not as good.

32. Steve J, Alexandria - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Reyes pops out to the catcher.Thank God have Desmond as our SS. Oh, will posters get mad I mentioned 'God?'

33. MicheleS - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Wooo HOOO , GOd I hope Everyone is okay!

34. NatsNut - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Wow, Clippard. Just wow.

35. NatsLady - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Now, you KNOW Clip did that on purpose! FP called it, he's the original adrenaline junkie. That was a little excessive, man!

36. Steve J, Alexandria - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Lombo aint so swift — or a little deaf.harper was yelling I got it, I got it, I got it, I got it. I counted at least four times.

37. Swift Eagle - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Everyone seems ok…Clipp reminded me of Chief in the 9th Big Win

38. peric - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Pheww a close one there!!!

39. NatsLady - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Or maybe Clip was rubbing it in Ozzie's face. I could be wrong–but I don't think so.

40. Steve J, Alexandria - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I'm making book that Ozzie is not the manager in Miami next year — he has done a sub-par job.While Ozzie can't hit or throw himself, it's simply his job to get the job done. And he is not getting it done.Fire the bastard.

41. SonnyG10 - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Yea, Johnny is a nice guy, but I'm really looking forward to Carp coming back.

42. Steve J, Alexandria - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Uh Nat's Lady: I think F.P. was kidding — Doh!

43. NatsLady - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM

peric, nope, not a chance. Clip walked too close, but that's just Clip. Seen him do it a hundred times, especially last year.

44. NatsLady - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Steve J, no he wasn't. Clip did that at least a dozen times last year, walk the first guy and then take down the side.

45. Joe Seamhead - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Well, that was exciting. I sure hope the Bryce is okay. Steve, and others, I consider myself to be patriotic, but I've enough of the over-nationalism at sporting events.I there to watch a baseball game, not to a bloody Amway rally. Start the game with the anthem, and then play ball. If there needs to be another anthem, let it be a Washinton National's fight song.

46. Steve J, Alexandria - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Who are these stiff, weird, strangers in the seats usually occupied by Johnny and Ray? I've seen them before, but have no idea where they come from.The interview among them and F.P.was a little awkward I thought.

47. Steve J, Alexandria - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Nat's Lady: Are you being funny, acerbic, or just a blubbering idiot? Clippard does not put runners on base on purpose. And FP was definitely and most assuredly kidding — as no sane person would think otherwise.Do you live to be a nut case idiot?

48. NatsNut - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM

And Steve, as long as Ozzie is not getting it done for the Marlins, I hope he stays. =)

49. Steve J, Alexandria - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:24 PM

And Nats L: the first non abrasive thing said all day by you. Well said. and I agree with you — for once …

50. NatsNut - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Dude, why the name calling?

51. Steve J, Alexandria - Jul 15, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Sorry Nats lady I was laughing as I was writing that — sounded way more mean that I meant it. some of my best friends are crazy!!!! (Still joking) accept my apology, please

52. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 15, 2012 at 10:09 PM

4 or 5 more games like this and the Nats will be up by 5 games.