Jul 15, 2012, 4:35 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Ian Desmond reacts to striking out during last night’s loss.
MIAMI — He had managed to play the best baseball of his career through a lingering left oblique strain for more than a month. But when Ian Desmond resorted to bunting in the ninth inning of last night’s game, it became obvious to manager Davey Johnson his shortstop needed a day off.
“He came in earlier … and said that part of the reason he bunted was because he couldn’t swing,” Johnson said. “So I said we’re just going to take it easy today. Especially a day game after a night game where it bothered you. Get work on it, hopefully you can get by it.”
Thus, Desmond is out of the Nationals’ lineup for the first time since April 19 and only the second time all season. When asked about the injury this morning, the All-Star shortstop insisted he feels “fine,” but his manager’s actions suggest this may be more of a concern than he’s letting on.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured