Jul 15, 2012, 4:35 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Ian Desmond reacts to striking out during last night’s loss.
MIAMI — He had managed to play the best baseball of his career through a lingering left oblique strain for more than a month. But when Ian Desmond resorted to bunting in the ninth inning of last night’s game, it became obvious to manager Davey Johnson his shortstop needed a day off.
“He came in earlier … and said that part of the reason he bunted was because he couldn’t swing,” Johnson said. “So I said we’re just going to take it easy today. Especially a day game after a night game where it bothered you. Get work on it, hopefully you can get by it.”
Thus, Desmond is out of the Nationals’ lineup for the first time since April 19 and only the second time all season. When asked about the injury this morning, the All-Star shortstop insisted he feels “fine,” but his manager’s actions suggest this may be more of a concern than he’s letting on.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Now in 2nd place, Nats not scoreboard watching yet
- Struggling Nats out of 1st place in NL East
- Nats lose to Arizona, fall out of first place
- Strasburg strong in 2nd rehab start, next stop D.C.?
- Papelbon offers advice on pennant race pressure
- Updated: Good news for Carpenter, Span close to live BP
- Nats return home hoping to get back on track vs. D'Backs
- After sweep, Vegas sees Nats and Mets trending in different directions
- Postponement gives Nats new home finale
- The Baseball Show: Is NL East up for grabs?