Jul 16, 2012, 11:05 PM EDT
MIAMI — Ian Desmond's lingering oblique strain is improving, and the Nationals are hoping their All-Star shortstop can play Tuesday night against the Mets in Washington.
"That's what he and I are both hoping for," manager Davey Johnson said before tonight's series finale against the Marlins.
Desmond, who skipped his first trip to the All-Star Game to rest an injury that has bothered him more than a month, played the first two games out of the break over the weekend but had to sit out Sunday afternoon's contest. He thought he might be available tonight but understands another day off might do him good.
"In the last couple days, it was pretty sore," Desmond said. "We are inside. It's not 100 outside anymore. Things like are a factor, I think. It feels better today. We'll see how it feels tomorrow."
Desmond has been taking anti-inflammatory medication and has been receiving treatment from Nationals massage therapist TatianaRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- The Baseball Show: Looking ahead to Rendon's return
- Bumgarner strongly disagrees with Scherzer's DH comments
- Can Nats channel emotion into something good?
- Nats fall to Braves, extend losing skid to six
- Nats fume at Simmons for injuring Escobar
- Cole debuting Tuesday in place of Scherzer
- Rendon scratched from minor league rehab game
- Marlins DFA former big free agent signing
- Nats hope lineup tweak will spark offense
- Cedeno on the move again, one week after Nats traded him