Jul 16, 2012, 11:05 PM EDT
MIAMI — Ian Desmond's lingering oblique strain is improving, and the Nationals are hoping their All-Star shortstop can play Tuesday night against the Mets in Washington.
"That's what he and I are both hoping for," manager Davey Johnson said before tonight's series finale against the Marlins.
Desmond, who skipped his first trip to the All-Star Game to rest an injury that has bothered him more than a month, played the first two games out of the break over the weekend but had to sit out Sunday afternoon's contest. He thought he might be available tonight but understands another day off might do him good.
"In the last couple days, it was pretty sore," Desmond said. "We are inside. It's not 100 outside anymore. Things like are a factor, I think. It feels better today. We'll see how it feels tomorrow."
Desmond has been taking anti-inflammatory medication and has been receiving treatment from Nationals massage therapist TatianaRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order
- Zimmerman expects to return in 2-3 days
- Strasburg returns to mound as Nats face Mets
- Storen returns to mound after 2-week absence
- Phillies' All-Star likely to begin season on disabled list
- Report: AL Central team interested in former Nats closer Soriano
- Zimmermann contract talks "not looking good"