Game 87: Nats at Marlins

Jul 16, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats try to make it three of four tonight at Marlins Park.

MIAMI — And so we've reached the fourth and final game of this wraparound series to open the season's second half. Who knew how much drama we'd be treated to, and who knows how much more is still in store tonight?

Will there by any carryover from yesterday's Ozzie Guillen-Bryce Harper kerfuffle? If there is, it may fall on the shoulders of Marlins starter Carlos Zambrano, who has been know to let his emotions get the best of him once or 27 times before. And if something does happen, I would fully expect Harper to put his head down, trot to first base … and then try to steal second, third and home.

Edwin Jackson, meanwhile, gets the ball for the Nationals, hoping to avoid his typical first-inning blues and get his first start of the second half off on the right foot.

Updates and analysis to come, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Indoors

2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. natsfan1a - Jul 16, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Will be out for a bit tonight but have the DVR set for the game. Should anything untoward happen, it would not surprise me if the teenager reacted with more maturity than either the Marlins skipper or their starter.Go, Edwin! Go, NATS!!

2. baseballswami - Jul 16, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I would think that both Ozzie and big Z will have short leashes with the umps. I also think the Nats will be business as usual and rise above. Might like to see Davey get his dander up, though. Hope the Nats do their competing on the field of play and stay classy. Morgan is gone and he was the one that caused our last brawl with the fish.

3. SCNatsFan - Jul 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Hope big Z throws at Bryce in the first, gets tossed, Ozzie gets tossed, we light up their bullpen and wear their pen out for a couple of days. Ozzie gets his revenge and costs the Fish more places in the standings. I'll drink to that.

4. NatsLady - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko#Nats lineup vs. Zambrano: Lombardozzi 4, Harper 9, Zimmerman 5, LaRoche 3, Morse 7, Espinosa 6, Bernadina 8, Flores 2, Jackson 1No Desi again. I foresee backdated DL once he gets back here if team doctors don't like what they see.

5. MicheleS - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I DO NOT WANT ANY DRAMA!Sorry, I am having Flash backs to 2005 and the Frank/Jose/Angels dust up. I do not want to relive the second half of that year in any way shape or form. (and yes I know the LAA stuff happened before the break – still gives me the heebie jeebies).

6. baseballswami - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Michele- I agree. I feel that way about the stuff with Nyjer.No drama and no more injuries. Good, clean baseball. When you do that it confuses the fish.

7. MicheleS - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Now that being said.. If Z or Ozzie is dumb enough to start something. Either Ejax ends it Then next inning that Hanley or Jose is up. OR I would suspect that DeRo, Ankiel, adn the rest of the goon squad takes out Z. I lay odds the Eck goes after Ozzie.

8. NatsLady - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:10 PM

swami, LOL. Nyjer .228/.300/.277 this year (so far).

9. baseballswami - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Maybe we let the Shark handle things down there in the Fish Tank? He is one strong dude.

10. MicheleS - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Drew if you are reading this.. Who in the minors would come up for Desi? Would they go with best available and bring up Brown or is their some IF that has the chops to come up for a couple of weeks if needed?

11. MicheleS - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Swami, good call on the Shark.. Also.. Bo Porter could be one tough dude.

12. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Maybe Mr. Z's line of the year:"And if something does happen, I would fully expect Harper to put his head down, trot to first base … and then try to steal second, third and home."Memo to Nats: Wear the Lombo-, Willie Harris-style batting helmets with the dual flaps. You might need them. After all, it's Ozzie. Just sayin…

13. Bill Simmons - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM

That crazy Zambrano will try something.

14. Jimmy - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Stealing bases after being plunked is what led to the Morgan brawl wasn't it? That notion that it is somehow un-kosher to steal after being intentionally HBP always rubbed me the wrong way. It's that sort of "old school baseball" nonsense in camp with the Maddon dust-up over calling out a guy for cheating and the intentional plunk by Hamels to wake up his team. Dont want a guy to steal? Dont put him on base. If they put Harper on like that, I hope he puts the burners on (and he better, because Buck has a heck of an arm on him). And if he gets plunked for it, I hope it clears the benches. Harper is a young guy, but looking at him suggests he can dish out quite a bit if needed. The Kid is a beast.

15. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Odds of Guillen and Valentine managing next year's All-Star game: Zip.How did Grady Little get blacklisted and not Guillen?

16. SonnyG10 - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I hope for no drama, but a whooping of the fish. Let's get an eight run lead, then bring in HRod.

17. Tcostant - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Bernadina again? What did Tyler Moore do to Davey?

18. MicheleS - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Maybe they are trying to showcase Shark for a trade? (last nights brain cramps didn't help). Just speculating.

19. JD - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Tcostant, Obviously Davie does not yet trust TyMo vs. righties.

20. SonnyG10 - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:25 PM

You know Bad Henri could plunk the whole fish line-up with plausible denial.

21. baseballswami - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Any reason we can 't go with espi at short and lombo at 2b? Lombo plays well when he plays everyday. Maybe the shark sighting tonight is prophetic. Cue in the theme from jaws here.

22. Mr. Doggett - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM

This is such a big game. They all seem like big games at the moment, but 3-1 is a whole lot better than 2-2 when you are trying to get such a big obnoxious monkey off your back.

23. Steady Eddie - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I don't know that Mark is hoping for drama tonight, but more that, being familiar with Ozzie's antics, he's anticipating he may produce some drama. Maybe more likely, Ozzie has generated that anticipation so that he gets talked about even if there is no particular drama (so the Miami media folks will keep asking "is this the inning something's gonna happen?"). It's really all about "keep those cameras on Ozzie, no matter what". (I'd expect Davey has already cautioned the Nats about how to behave if one of the Marlins does try to stir something up.)

24. Doc - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM

25. Mr. Doggett - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM

This is a hilarious account of the Ozzie and Bryce episode. http://m.deadspin.com/5926428/try-to-look-surprised-ozzie-guillen-and-bryce-harper-have-beef

26. baseballswami - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM

May be ignoring him makes him the maddest.

27. MicheleS - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Actually I like part of Doc's suggestion, run up the score and skip the plunking. Just let them flop around in their own mediocrity.

28. kgwcoach - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Tcostant said… Bernadina again? What did Tyler Moore do to Davey?AnswerPitcher right handed

29. natsfan1a - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM

And after the flopping around, if they could just tank it would be awesome. kaithxbai.Doc said… I'd like to see a 9-0 lead over the Fish, and then have the Bad Henry plunk one Fish at a time until they are all hobbling, or more correctly, flopping around. July 16, 2012 4:40 PM

30. Tcostant - Jul 16, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I get the right handed thing on Moore, but a few weeks ago they said they were going to give him more time vs. RHP. I'd prefer to see what Moore could do.

31. baseballswami - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I thought he did well vs rhp?

32. Steady Eddie - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Tcostant — While I also wish they had given TMo more of a chance, this is not the ballpark to have Morse (especially in his current not-100% condition) and Moore in the same outfield. You need at least two OFs who can cover a lot of ground. After what the Shark did yesterday, he showed he's the guy for this park. Speaks volumes that it's the Shark and not (thankfully) Ankiel. Wonder if they're putting together a deal of a few spare parts in exchange for some middling prospect talent (which is all we could get at best), just to get something out of the deal?

33. MicheleS - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Mark Zuckerman‏@MarkZuckermanOzzie says he called Davey, Davey told him: "Get the @$&# away from me." Did say he thinks Davey is a "great" manager.OY. What a punk

34. NatsLady - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:20 PM

In other news:CNN Newsource Sports ‏@CNNNSSportsNationals Roger Bernadina makes the nice diving catch to rob Marlins John Buck of extra bases and is our PLAY OF THE DAY!!

35. NatsLady - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:21 PM

LOL DAVEY!!!!Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWPDavey said he wasn't concerned about Zambrano throwing at Harper. "My guy (Jackson) throws harder than him, anyway."

36. NatsLady - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:23 PM

More LOL Davey:Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWPDavey hopeful Desmond returns tomorrow: "We got a real good-looking masseuse, and she's been working on him."Hey, Desi's a married man!

37. MicheleS - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Desi lives in FL.. no doubt his wife is in Miami with him. If she is not, she is driving there now.

38. Doc - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I'll bet Desi's wife gets a speeding ticket or two!!!!Desi might need a different kind of therapist when the dust settles.Love Davey's quotes, but he (or Desi) will have some 'splainin' to do. It'll be Desi this time, not Luci!!!

39. Jim Webster - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:51 PM

MicheleS … I share your heebie jeebie memories of the last half of '05.

40. peric - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:53 PM

AnswerPitcher right handed.Huge upgrade defensively.Huge upgrade in speed.Possible hot hitting left-handed bat.Tyler is LaRoche's understudy when all is said and done. He likely returnsto Syracuse when they get Chad Tracy back. Definitely with Werth's return.

41. SonnyG10 - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:54 PM

NatsLady and MicheleS, you two are LOL funny, especially your comeback, MicheleS.

42. Doc - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Concerning the imminent rumble, Lett needs to make sure that the Bad Henry is a little short on the warm-up pitches.

43. peric - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Who in the minors would come up for Desi? Would they go with best available and bring up Brown or is their some IF As I said, Espinosa is the backup shortstop. Lombo is the backup second baseman. It their natural positions. And who is at shortstop and second base?After those two it gets a bit dicey. DeRosa for any short-term fix. Long-term its Carlos Rivero and/or Zach Walters. Both are excellent fielders but are also young prospects. Both Rivero and Walters are having good years.

44. peric - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:06 PM

And Mark Teahen is also a consideration as a left-handed batting UTL who can play multiple positions. A younger DeRosa.

45. MicheleS - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Doc.. I can see it now. Henri comes in at the end of the game and just starts plunking people gets wild throws one into the Marlins dugout and knocks Ozzie out.

46. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Davey has confirmed Lannan will pitch one of the double header per Marks tweet.

47. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Sorta sounds like Ozzie is getting under Davey's testosterone.

48. baseballswami - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM

We should welcome John Lannan back from exile. The guy did a good job for us during the dark times.

49. baseballswami - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Anyway, Ozzie is just cranky because he is going to Chicago next . Should be pretty interesting.

50. MicheleS - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM

So to our NI's in FL or some of our other Interwebs savvy folks. I was trying to find other blogs, etc about Miami, found articles, but few comments. Anybody know what the reaction is down there? I saw some bonehead radio station called for Z to hit harper, but that is just some talking head trying to get ratings. Wondering what the real Miami fans take is (if they have many fans).

51. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM

MicheleS…….I stayed in West Little Havana over the weekend and several locals asked if I was going to the games when they saw my Nats hat. On two different occaisions I was asked what I thought of the Marlins "communist" manager.At the games most everybody admitted that the Fish have clown as a manager. He is not well thougjt of down there.

52. MicheleS - Jul 16, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Thanks NJ. That means Loria got what he deserved.On a game note, I hope that Ejax had an extra long warm up so he gets rid of his 1st inning yips.

53. Fear and Ignorance - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Having lived in Chicago, Ozzie really isn't a bad guy…he is just stupid and talks too much. His players actually love him, and he won a World Series for a franchise that hadn't won a playoff game in Chicago since 1959. He is a great baseball guy…just a terrible figurehead for an organization. That said, I hope Harper fouls one of his forehead tonight…then goes deep.

54. UnkyD - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I'm hunching that Bernie in CF is more about the enormous amount of real estate to cover, than anything else. Love TyMo and Micky, but having them both in a large OF could yield a lot of XBH….

55. Fear and Ignorance - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Anybody else notice that Harper was using Tyler Moore's bat?

56. MicheleS - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:17 PM

This is the Big Z I remember from my days in Chicago.

57. andrew lang - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:19 PM

LaRoche was robbed and that top of the 1st didn't end well.

58. TimDz - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Ok Ejax….Think…SECOND inning…

59. andrew lang - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72kPC2Ha-mQHere's the new Chad Cordero. He lost 30 pounds and looks great.

60. Steady Eddie - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Unkyd — cold beverage please.(See my post @5:09.)

61. MicheleS - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Andrew I saw the twitter pics! I hardly recognized him he looks so skinny!!! I wish i was in town this weekend to salute the CHIEF!!!

62. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Official scorer didnt give Lombo an error? haha

63. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:32 PM

dammit. Jax ought to be in the dugout by now. Thanks, Lombo — get in the game, rookie.

64. Gonat - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:32 PM

The Chief looks real young with that new body. How fast was he throwing?

65. Gonat - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Did you all notice how high The tar is on Hanley's bat? On purpose? I would say so.

66. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Wow!! That was a play!!!

67. Gonat - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Zim with a nifty pick on that ball from Hanley!

68. MicheleS - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:33 PM

So glad Ejax got out of that! and two excellent plays by RZ

69. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I am just so glad Hanley Ramirez is NOT a national.

70. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:42 PM

MicheleS asked: "Wondering what the real Miami fans take is (if they have many fans)." July 16, 2012 6:44 PM The way it's coming across on MASN, it appears most of the Miami crowd has come disguised as blue seats.I guess most of the crowd has departed for the early-bird specials. Oh, wait…Way to pack 'em in, Ozzie (Idiot).

71. Gonat - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Dobbs with a lousy throw on the Sac Fly. Was he not expecting the tag?

72. Major Jammage - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I'm so glad to see Espi getting rid of the uppercut and swinging through the zone now. If he starts hitting a hot bat, this lineup can get real dangerous.

73. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Chad Cordero pitching to kids. Do they realize how lucky they are to have a 30 year old All Star throwing to them?I want to sign up!

74. MicheleS - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM

So glad I won't be in town for this..Mark Zuckerman‏@MarkZuckermanLannan, by the way, just gave up 3 runs and 4 hits in the 1st inning against Pawtucket

75. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:47 PM

76. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Now the Fish announcers are praising Bernadina's defensive ball hawking skills.

77. MicheleS - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM

That was SWEET!!! Go ZIMMY!

78. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Remember about a month ago when several posters were lamenting the apparent loss of power by Ryan? Well he seems OK to me.

79. JaneB - Jul 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM

It was sweet! What I didn't like — and I am trying to be positive here — is that Johnny was so busy talking, he didn't even notice it was a jack until after the fact. Gab gab gab — "what a shot! and there's a home run." Can't wait till Carp gets back, seriously. GYFNG!

80. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:03 AM

The Marlins remind me of one of those slow-pitch softball teams you see around the Washington Monument on weeknights. Between Hothead Zambrano and ZIP Code Lee at first base, and Ozzie the Clown in the dugout, the rest of the team looks like interns they picked up at the Agriculture Department at 5 p.m.Plus, this ballpark is a joke. Did I just see some babes in the pool behind left field? Plus, the players seem to be sweating like horses. I bet the AC is powered by a couple of D-cell batteries. Is it stuffy inside, NatsJack?

81. Gonat - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… The Fish announcers have acknowledged that the Nats are taking advantage of all 3 weak arms in their outfield. July 16, 2012 7:47 PM ______________________________I love when the opposing announcers are negative on their own team.

82. Gonat - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Flores has been fooled by some of the movement on EJax's pitches that have been strikes.

83. Gonat - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Oh nooooooo

84. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:12 AM

It's actually very comfortable in the stadium. The temp is constantly around 74 degrees. I learned my way around the place and it's a great venue…….for Miami.Mark and I talked about it yesterday. It wouldn't work anywhere else.

85. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I think he wins a sharkskin suit.

86. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Jackson just doesnt have it tonight.Man, I hate the Marlins!!

87. Fear and Ignorance - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:13 AM

NatsJack-Remember when you said Edwin Jackson will be the ace when Strasburg is shut down???

88. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:15 AM

haha Natsjack: after Zim's shot, he seems OK to everyone now. Redboarding is not allowed.

89. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM

One bad inning. Keep your Hawai'an shirts on, people.

90. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Jackson is one heck of a gritty pitcher — tonight is just not his night.Gio is the Ace right now; Stras is Ace II.speaking of Aces (or is that deuces?) Lannan to pitch against Braves on Saturday.

91. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Morse gets a bleeder to right. Too many of those. He is suffering from a major power outage. I'm glad he's hitting singles, but with his sorry, pathetic outfield play, we need more than just a singles hitter who can't run, who can't play the outfield.

92. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM

It was NOT a bleeder. Cripes. It was an inside-out line drive. Espinosa's hit, there, that was a bleeder, sorta.

93. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Although, to be fair, your (basic) point about his power being out is well-taken. He is not squaring it up lately, is he?

94. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM

OK, I don't think Bo told Roger to hit into a GIDP, there. Maybe he should have let him bunt.

95. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

96. Gonat - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM

A 1st inning and 4th inning killer doubleplays. Those have hurt.

97. Fear and Ignorance - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:25 AM

$11 million for Edwin Jackson was a bargain…lol!!!

98. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Everybody in baseball says it was. The Pirates offered 3 years at $39 mil.

99. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Props, Z was busting down the line there.

100. Gonat - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:31 AM

NatsJack in Florida said… Never said Jackson woild be the ace. There's that ignorance again.Said he'd be a solid 3 when Stras gets shut down. July 16, 2012 8:23 PM ______________________________His ERA says he is a #4 or #5 and its unfortunate as he has #2 stuff that we have seen 3 times this year.EJax teases us. When he gives us a great start we then think he will keep it going only to come back with a dud. No consistency and tonight he got through the 1st inning giving up No runs.

101. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:33 AM

EJax teases us. When he gives us a great start we then think he will keep it going only to come back with a dud.To be fair, he is not responsible for our expectations.

102. Cameron - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Edwin is struggling of late. Hope he snaps out of it. Have to be worried about him in the playoffs if(when) the Nats make it. His postseason numbers are not too encouraging. Good four pitch walk from Edwin!

103. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM

3rd doubleplay. Worst part is that it's keeping Zambrano's pitch count low.

104. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Well, two of them are line-outs on the infield, which really shouldn't happen as often as they seem to lately.

105. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:45 AM

NatsJack, you are too kind to respond to stupidity.

106. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Although Harper was so far off second I think he must have been stealing third, and EJax did make a nice effort to get back, which may be another way of saying he was too far off.

107. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Ghost, it may more a triumph of hope over experience, than kindness.

108. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

FP: "[Zim's double] is a home run in lots of places." And an out in lots where the RF gets to that very catchable ball. Jankyou Thesus.

109. Fear and Ignorance - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Way to do your job LaRoche. Good baseball.

110. MicheleS - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Not Dead Yet. Just Sayin

111. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM

"They've hit into three double plays in five innings, two of them line drives that ended the frame. That seems like bad luck to me, no?"The line drive outs are bad luck. The double plays, maybe. "Make the line drive go through!!" If I only had a nickel for every time I've heard that.

112. baseballswami - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Does EJax look bad or are they getting lucky?

113. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:57 AM

That bum Morse! How could he not see Morrison was going to run a wide route and miss that, right off the bat? This guy is killing us.

114. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Swami, he isn't sharp, but not so far off he might not still lock in.

115. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM

He is wild over the plate, though, which is always a problem.

116. joemktg - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM

HAVE to score in that situation.

117. MicheleS - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM

JFlo has been filling in admirably, but this is where i miss Ramos' bat.

118. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Yeah.

119. Cameron - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Flores with another terrible at-bat. Come on guys only down 1!

120. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM

121. Gonat - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Cameron said… Flores with another terrible at-bat. Come on guys only down 1! July 16, 2012 9:01 PM ___________________________No kidding. 2-0 count and swinging out of his cleats on a very inside Ball #3. That is one of the worst at-bats I have seen not made by a guy whose last name starts with A.

122. RickH - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:05 AM

JaneB, I was wondering if anyone had commented on Johnny. I haven't seen all that much of this series and I haven't been able to follow the game comments, but it seemed like he was just getting things wrong. I'm pretty sure the other night he called the final out as "strike three called," when it was a swinging strike. I also noticed he didn't call Ryan's HR until it was practically in the stands. Can't remember what else he got wrong, but I'm looking forward to Carp returning too.

123. Secret wasian man - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Swing at ball 3 then hit into Dp. Just awful. Here come the braves. 2.5

124. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I was wondering if anyone had commented on Johnny. Ummm, once or twice over the series, yes. : )

125. Secret wasian man - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Sec 3 lay off Morse. Wonder boy Harper cant hit his way out of a bag

126. Secret wasian man - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Swing at ball 3 then hit into Dp. Just awful. Here come the braves. 2.5

127. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:10 AM

For my part, I don't mind him airing it out on that slider–it was a good pitch, but he hasn't seemed to recognise pitches well lately. The GIPD was hard hit, as Mark said, but he rolled right over on it, the one thing you tell yourself not to do in that situation. So yeah, gave away the AB.

128. MicheleS - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Secret wasian.. Sec3 was being sarcastic about Morse.

129. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Sec 3 lay off Morse.Whooooooooooooooooooooosh.

130. RickH - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Sec 3 … I figured there were probably a few comments.

131. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:13 AM

dang. IOU a coke, Michele.: )

132. MicheleS - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Sec3.. but your comeback was better ;-)

133. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Let me get this striaght the bases are loaded he just walked a batter the count is 0-2 the pitch almost hits you and you are poccessed to swing? Not sure I would swing at a fast ball down the middle much less anything other than that. then double play ball. talk about poor production. 4 doule plays now. Why are we having such poor attempts tonight?

134. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Rick, more than one of them were me. I like Johnny, oddly. He's like listening to your grandfather, who is still the boss, but doesn't know much about baseball. You just nod, and enjoy watching the game with him. YMMV.

135. Secret wasian man - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Sec 3. Sorry I missed the sarcasm. A little slow tonight. I guess I want to see ozzie lose so much its fogging my brain.

136. MicheleS - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

It's okay SWM.. this game seems to be putting us all in a fog..

137. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM

MNF, like I said, IMO the GIDP was a bad swing decision, but Davey plays a fairly aggressive game, and given Flores' recent hitting issues (he's tired), I don't mind him giving away a strike on a pitch he didn't put in play. If he hits that 0-2 pitch on the ground, then I have a problem, but he didn't, he was ripping for a fly ball, and missed it clean, so the risk vs. reward, I'm OK with there.

138. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

OK for YOU, maybe, Michele. I think he needs to lay off Flores.

139. MicheleS - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Sounds like injury bug is hitting other teams. Votto out 3-4 weeks with knee surgery and Joey Bats just left the game after taking a huge hack/foul ball. Did something to his elbow/arm.

140. MicheleS - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I love having LoMo in LF for the fish

141. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Almost an E-7. Gotta cash that in here.

142. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Harper does still have a bit of a mark by his eye.

143. ehay2k - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Have not read game thread, but didn't LoMo have a full head of hair during BP? It looks like he shaved his head in between BP and the game.

144. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

145. MicheleS - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Several of the Fish players shaved their heads to support cancer research. I think 3 or 4 of them did a few days ago. LoMo was one of them.

146. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

food for thought I wonder if a team hitting into 4 DP's is the equivalent to a football team fumbling the ball 4 times?

147. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

148. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Thanks Michele. Good on them.

149. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Mick, more like 4 INTs.

150. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:33 AM

sec 3, yup

151. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Now, double posting–THAT's like a fumble.

152. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:33 AM

sec, lol I dont know how i did that, umm

153. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:34 AM

what do you all think of Ejax tonight??

154. Secret wasian man - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Ooooohhh Bryce we need you

155. Gonat - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Nats have to capitalize here.

156. MicheleS - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Mick.. ejax.. iffy at best. 3 inning was the worst.

157. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:39 AM

michele… I wonder if Lannan replaces him down the road

158. Gonat - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:39 AM

mick said… what do you all think of Ejax tonight?? July 16, 2012 9:34 PM _______________________________A lot of seeing eye but the hit by the pitcher and that 2 run single by Carlos Lee in a 2 strike count were not great pitches.To follow that up by the Hanley tater, not great.Keep in mind JZim gave up 0, Strasburg gave up 0 and Gio gave up 2. If you compare to those 3 pitchers, giving up 4 doesn't seem good facing the same team, same lineup, same ballpark.

159. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

may be right Gonatwe need Adam now, he is due….

160. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:41 AM

0-3, now come on Adam L, hit!!

161. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM

well, he is dog tonight… still only 1 run down

162. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:46 AM

the hitters are going back to the terrible habits I complained about before. laRoche swings at ball four, then strikes out on a slider low. Does Eckstein every coach patience with these guys, because almost none of them have any.

163. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:47 AM

we do not need our middle line up guys going inconsistent now. really bad AB for LaRoche.. he is 0-3, fine, the 4th time up hit the darn ball!!!

164. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan that is to my point about middle line up guys being inconsistent. LaRoche's at bat in that situation was terrible! Its not like he is facing an ace relief pitcher

165. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:49 AM

the 4 DP's really have me ticked off!!!!

166. Nattering Nat - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

C'mon, this is one of those excruciating games, as what end up losses to the Fish often are, where a million squandered opportunities doom the team. Now, you knew ALR was going to strike out to end the inning, didn't you? ANd I'm a LaRoche fan, mind you, it's just that I can't recall the last time he got a truly clutch hit.This is what losses to the Fish look like. Hope I"m wrong, still two innings to go. At least they beat Johnson and Nolasco this series, that counts for something.

167. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

as for ejaz a typical game one bad inning. The rest fine. Not sure if he has focus problem at times or what. I bet he gives up multiple runs in a n inning as often as he gives up a single run.

168. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:51 AM

let me tell you…. I would expect us to sweep or win 2 from the Mets at home… if we do not, then we are set up perfectly by the Braves to over take us. if that happens we are in trouble and could slide like the team did in 2005. I hope I am wrong.

169. peric - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:51 AM

5-2. Ozzie really wanted this game that's what all the shenanigans were all about … it appears to be working.

170. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Nattering Natprobably the last time was May

171. Cameron - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

It is just not the Nats day… yet.

172. MicheleS - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Signing off for the night. Have a LONG day tomorrow and have to get up in a few hours.

173. peric - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:53 AM

michele… I wonder if Lannan replaces him down the roadRemember, Strasburg gets shutdown. EJax isn't going anywhere unless they decide to trade him. My guess is Lannan's start will be another attempt to market him to other MLB teams. Lannan might be gone by the end of this month.

174. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM

not a gonzales fan way to go guy, it was a 1 run game and you just made it almost impossible to come back

175. Secret wasian man - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:56 AM

We gotta get a sweep of the meta. I'm starting to get an uneasy feeling. Great game zimm

176. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Secret wasian, man me too

177. Nattering Nat - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Thanks, mick–long time ago.Story of their lives against the Fish, wasted opportunities, bad luck, whatever. Try to look at the bright side. They are doing better against them. overall, than last year. The next seven games at home are the most important of the season to date. It's still not 2005 if they falter now, and it's very hard to stay in first almost the entire season, so some back and forth is to be expected. But I'm hoping for a strong series against the Mets, though they may play like a desperate team, and the Nats always seem confident against the Braves these days. So don't let a loss tonight, if it happens, get you down.

178. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Flores needs some time off his bat is just too slow. they blowing fast balls right by him. OF course it helps that he swung at two early in the count that were high. I can't figure how a catcher can have such poor bat management. Maybe they can't hit, but they should be able to figure what the other pitcher is pitching (and it doesn;'t have to be astrike when he is up)_

179. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:09 AM

this is 2 seeries in a row we have under achieved badly. The Rockies now the Marlins. Without Stanton the Marlins are mediocre at best, and we make their pitchers look great. Team lost focus the last 2 series as a whole, need to get it back, We make the marlins look as good as the Yankees. Have for years.

180. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:12 AM

thanks nattering nat…Espi and Flores at bats were just awful looking, its tough ti have confidence when one sees this. Flores and espi are easy outs

181. NatsLady - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:13 AM

The goal is to play (at least) .500 on the road. We achieved that. Especially against the Fish in their house where we got swept last time. We are playing with house money on this one. And here goes a great inning for Henry, another plus. Perspective people, perspective.

182. Nattering Nat - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Think of what bats you can count on nowadays. Zimm, Desmond (when he's playing), Morse (increasingly). Then there is Espi sometimes, Harper on a downslide, ALR on a downslide, Lombo on a downslide, Flores stuck in the basement, Tyler Moore sometimes but a problem finding playing time. So really only three of four guys carrying the load for now, not enough. Need Harper to find the groove again, it made a huge difference.

183. NatsLady - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM

184. Nattering Nat - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:19 AM

And for Harper, no time like the present to regain the groove!

185. peric - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Does EJax look bad or are they getting lucky?He wasn't pitching in his regular slot which was the day after games stopped for the ASB. That means its been more than seven days since he pitched … plus the time off. Other than that … Ejax doesn't look as "into it" as he was at the beginning of the season. Loss of focus. His arm is fine. Is he starting to behave like its a 1 year rental only? Tough to say … have to see if he gets back into the rhythm of things as the 2nd half continues.Detwiler is definitely into it as are the top 3 starters. So … And no Lannan is not a solution he would make the rotation worse.

186. Nattering Nat - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Well, mick, I'll say it now–now's the time for ALR to do something clutch!

187. baseballswami - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Come home, Nats,come home. And –I miss you, desi!!!

188. peric - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Yes, need to get away from this craziness, get home, get Harper on track. Well, there was a nice clean hit from the boy.Bryce is fine. He is 19. Davey needs to come up with a bit of a rest plan for him. He can sit in the dugout and get impromptu lectures from Jayson Werth if its a home game. Hate to say this but this is an Adam LaRoche "K" … hope I'm wrong.

189. peric - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:24 AM

I was right.

190. Nattering Nat - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:24 AM

I hope to use reverse psychology here–this is how losses to the Fish are–excruciating!

191. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Riddle me this. First pitch to laRocje a curve over the outhalf strike. then a slider a foot outside swing, then a slider a foot outside a ball, then a curve ball right over the middle and he just stares at it. We are willing to sing at one a footoutside, but not one right over the middle. This team would be good if they had a coach who taught the strike zone. King of Ynakees know the strike zone, the nats of Eckstein really do not know the strike zome. This is fixible, but the players first must learn the strike zone.

192. peric - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:27 AM

At the games most everybody admitted that the Fish have clown as a manager. He is not well thougjt of down there.His antics may seem bizarre but they are acts of a desperate man. He wanted, needed this game and that's why. Have to figure his job is on the line, he's probably thinking it could happen any day now.

193. peric - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:29 AM

King of Ynakees know the strike zone, the nats of Eckstein really do not know the strike zome. This is fixible, but the players first must learn the strike zone.This is pretty typical of LaRoche. He's a high strike out kind of hitter like Adam Dunn and Mark Reynolds. Its just who he is. Let's just hope he gets into a late July / August hot streak as has done in the past as well.

194. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:29 AM

I'll tell you what, anyone who was considering that LaRoche should have been an All star should be embarrassed!!What a let dowm, and that looking at the third strike was so weak.. Espi, Flores and LaRoche are just awful hitters

195. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:30 AM

swing the gD bat!!!!

196. peric - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Lannan allowed 6 earned runs in five innings and nine hits BUT only 1 walk.If Lannan pitches one game of that doubleheader against Atlanta the Nats will lose first place to the Braves.

197. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:35 AM

peric… that Nats may already be trailing the Braves before Lannan pitches!

198. mick - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:39 AM

If we are talking about wild Card in a week, we are done, I just know it

199. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Let's get this out in the open right now. One "p"articular poster on this site is a stark raving drama queen.

200. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:44 PM