Jul 16, 2012, 11:38 PM EDT
MIAMI — John Lannan, who surprisingly lost his spot in the Nationals' rotation at the end of spring training and has been pitching at Class AAA Syracuse since, is expected to return to the big leagues Saturday and start one game of the Nationals' doubleheader against the Braves.
Asked who would be used to pitch that day, Davey Johnson didn't explicitly name Lannan. The Nationals manager said the club would promote one of three minor-league starters: Lannan, Yunesky Maya or Ryan Perry.
"So it'll be one of them," Johnson said before adding with a smirk: "Who do you think?"
Lannan, who is pitching tonight for Syracuse at Pawtucket, is best lined up to make the start. The 27-year-old left-hander enters tonight's game with a 6-8 record and 4.60 ERA in 17 total starts, but he's posted a 3.14 ERA over his last eight outings, allowing one earned run in fiveRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera