Jul 16, 2012, 10:37 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Ozzie Guillen says Bryce Harper disrespected him during Sunday's game.
MIAMI — Ozzie Guillen loves Bryce Harper. He made that point painfully clear during a six-minute diatribe Monday afternoon. While also lambasting Harper for what he believes was a disrespectful act during Sunday's game: Pointing his bat toward Guillen to show he had swapped it out for one with too much pine tar on it, per the Marlins manager's request.
"I like this kid," Guillen said. "I think this kid is good for baseball. He's going to be better. But if this kid continues to do that [stuff], he might not make it. Because they're going to fool around with the wrong guy, and that wrong guy will kick his ass. He might not make it."
That was merely one of several verbal shots fired by Guillen at Harper and Nationals manager Davey Johnson one day after the relatively minor pine tar incident between the two clubs.
During the first inning of Sunday's game, Guillen noticed Harper had pine tar well up onto the barrel of his bat. Rule 1.10(c) prohibits theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- NatsFest 2014 details announced with new venue
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB