Game 88: Mets at Nats

Jul 17, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats return home tonight to open a key series against the Mets.

After a somewhat disappointing four-game split in Miami, the Nationals return to D.C. for what has the makings of a very important homestand: Three games against the third-place Mets, followed by four games in three days against the second-place Braves.

"Oh, no doubt about it," Davey Johnson said after last night's 5-3 loss. "But I think we're in good shape. The whole lineup's swinging the bat good. Our pitchers are throwing the ball good. Bring 'em on."

The Nationals currently are six games up on the Mets (who have lost four straight) so there's actually an opportunity here to deal New York's surprise playoff hopes a series blow. Ross Detwiler gets the first crack tonight, facing fellow left-hander Jonathon Niese.

After flying home from Miami, I've got the night off. But Chase Hughes will have you covered with game updates and all the evening's other news and notes, so please check back…

NEW YORK METS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Sunny, 96 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to CF

2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
RF Michael Morse

1. Nattering Nat - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Gotta hand it to the Mets, as well as the Nats. The Mets did everything but win. The Nats put themselves in a position to win (twice), and the Mets obliged!

2. UnkyD - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Now that I think of it… It was sweet of those boys to not make Desi swing the bat, andante pull something…no?

3. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:27 AM

"WOOOO-HOOOO!!!"(Copyright, MicheleS, 2011).I love this team!!!

4. Joe Seamhead - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Still in first, great win, just WOW!

5. Nattering Nat - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:27 AM

I'd been praying for a World Series for more years than you'd like to know. I try to ration my prayers nowadays, a game at a time!

6. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Trademark.

7. A DC Wonk - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Johnny Holiday just mentioned that of Detwiler's 30 starts, he's allowed three runs or less in 24 of them

8. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:33 AM

So the team won a game he started, and Clippard owes him a dinner! Win-win!

9. ehay2k - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Was at the park, but had to leave in the bottom of the eighth to get my son home to bed. Sigh. But, WHAT A WN! Three notes – Morse looks like he's still hurting because he just cannot thrown the ball in with any real velocity. And, TMo hit the snot out of that ball. I mean it was smoked. Lastly, Detwiler just looked in complete command. When he kept his composure after Morse's error and the WP (or was it ruled a pass ball?), and just got three outs.That is a big step for him. Here's Hoping he can do it again on five days rest instead of eleven.

10. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Could have been a passed ball, but I think they left it a WP.

11. Joe Seamhead - Jul 18, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Shame on you,Mick. It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings, and BTW, Davey wasn't ultimately the one who got out coached.LOOK AT YOUR POSTSmick said…Mets are struggling and to lose a game at HOME up 2 in 9th is not what playoff teams do.July 17, 2012 9:34 PM

12. Tcostant - Jul 18, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Why didn't anyone warn me about that nightmare traffic on Rt 66 going towards Fairfax. I should have taken the Toll Road. But worth it, what a game!