Jul 17, 2012, 9:56 PM EDT
When Lucas Giolito took his seat in the dugout for his first in-person media availability since signing a contract with the Washington Nationals, he opened the session with a genuine, “wow.” He had never been faced with so many cameras and microphones before and at times didn’t know where the questions were coming from.
But the attention that comes with being a big league player and the lifestyle they live is something that sold the 18-year-old flamethrower on signing the deal and becoming the newest high-ceiling young arm in the Washington organization. He envies the way they go about their day-to-day business and how they interact as members of a team.
Giolito visited both the Nationals and the campus of UCLA in the time between the June 4 MLB Draft and July 13, the deadline to sign draft picks. He said he pitched in front of Bruins’ head coach John Savage and enjoyed the experience, but a June trip to Washington, D.C. helped seal the deal.
Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants
- Ishikawa 3-run homer sends Giants to World Series