Jul 17, 2012, 11:05 PM EST
Davey Johnson updated the media on several injuries during his pregame session on Tuesday afternoon before the Nationals’ game against the Mets. Most notable is an update on Jayson Werth who Johnson believes could be cleared for “baseball stuff” on Wednesday. Werth will meet with doctors and his manager expects good news, he says he thinks the chances of him re-injuring the broken bone in his wrist are slim.
“Unless some catastrophe happens, that’s not gonna happen,” Johnson said. “He is probably two or three weeks away.”
Johnson said the team will know tomorrow if Werth’s plan of returning the first week of August is still in effect.
Ian Desmond was out of the lineup again on Tuesday as he continues to rest from a strain to his left oblique. After having the muscle tighten up over the All-Star break, Desmond is still hurting and gave Johnson a recent update.
“I just talked to him and he said, ‘I think this is something I think is going to be lingering all year long.’ It’s not going to get better until the offseason,” he said.
Johnson said that the injury is perhaps more troublesome for Desmond because of his style of play, he is active as a baserunner and keeps a wide range as a shortstop. Davey said Desmond has been using anti-inflammatories, hot-packs, and wears what he called “science fiction tape.” They will “err on the cautious side” moving forward and Johnson may have to dissapoint Desmond some days by leaving him out when he thinks he can go.
Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- David Price breaks Max Scherzer's record with contract
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers