Jul 17, 2012, 2:24 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Edwin Jackson gave up four runs in five-plus innings.
Game in a nutshell: With a chance to pull off a series victory to open the season's second half, the Nationals instead had to settle for a split with the Marlins. They certainly had opportunities to win this one, rapping out 11 hits and putting a bunch of runners in scoring position. But they couldn't push enough of those runners across, in part because they couldn't avoid the double play. They hit into an incredible four twin-killings in the first six innings alone, two of those on well-struck line drives. This on a night when Edwin Jackson wasn't at his best. The right-hander gave up four runs in five-plus innings, all four coming in the bottom of the third. Thus, the Nats head home with a 51-36 record, their lead over the idle Braves down to 2 1/2 games.
Hitting highlight: They came in a losing effort, but the hitting performances of Ryan Zimmerman and Danny Espinosa shouldn't beRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats