Jul 17, 2012, 2:24 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Edwin Jackson gave up four runs in five-plus innings.
Game in a nutshell: With a chance to pull off a series victory to open the season's second half, the Nationals instead had to settle for a split with the Marlins. They certainly had opportunities to win this one, rapping out 11 hits and putting a bunch of runners in scoring position. But they couldn't push enough of those runners across, in part because they couldn't avoid the double play. They hit into an incredible four twin-killings in the first six innings alone, two of those on well-struck line drives. This on a night when Edwin Jackson wasn't at his best. The right-hander gave up four runs in five-plus innings, all four coming in the bottom of the third. Thus, the Nats head home with a 51-36 record, their lead over the idle Braves down to 2 1/2 games.
Hitting highlight: They came in a losing effort, but the hitting performances of Ryan Zimmerman and Danny Espinosa shouldn't beRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup