Jul 17, 2012, 2:24 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Edwin Jackson gave up four runs in five-plus innings.
Game in a nutshell: With a chance to pull off a series victory to open the season's second half, the Nationals instead had to settle for a split with the Marlins. They certainly had opportunities to win this one, rapping out 11 hits and putting a bunch of runners in scoring position. But they couldn't push enough of those runners across, in part because they couldn't avoid the double play. They hit into an incredible four twin-killings in the first six innings alone, two of those on well-struck line drives. This on a night when Edwin Jackson wasn't at his best. The right-hander gave up four runs in five-plus innings, all four coming in the bottom of the third. Thus, the Nats head home with a 51-36 record, their lead over the idle Braves down to 2 1/2 games.
Hitting highlight: They came in a losing effort, but the hitting performances of Ryan Zimmerman and Danny Espinosa shouldn't beRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter