Game 89: Mets at Nats

Jul 18, 2012, 7:38 PM EST

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann faces Chris Young tonight at Nationals Park.

It's another scorcher on South Capitol Street, with the temperature (as I type this at 3:30 p.m.) reading 101 degrees and the heat index a very comfortable 109. There are, however, some serious thunderstorms approaching from the west, and the grounds crew is already preparing the tarp to be rolled out over the infield.

As this is happening, Jayson Werth and Chad Tracy are taking batting practice, the first such round for Werth since he broke his left wrist on May 6. Tracy, meanwhile, is getting close to returning from his groin surgery.

As for tonight's game, it'll be Jordan Zimmermann making his second start of the second half of the season, looking to build off a fantastic outing in Miami on Friday. Chris Young gets the nod for the Mets, who have now lost five straight to fall seven games back in the NL East.

I'm back at the park tonight, so look for plenty of updates and analysis throughout…

NEW YORK METS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv, ESPN (outside D.C. and N.Y. market)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 186
Weather: Thunderstorms, 95 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to RF

2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
1B Adam LaRoche

1. original Nats Fan - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:49 PM

A thunderstorm is building here in Rappahannock County, roughly 60 miles from DC. No rain yet, but lots of thunder. I'm praying the electricity stays on for all.

2. hiramhover - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Thanks for the update, Mark. Good to hear about Werth.A question, tho–isn't 3:30 unusually early for BP? I thought it usually started later, around 4:15 or 4:30 for the Nats when they have a 7:05 start at home. Is this just to beat the storms–or maybe to beat them opening the stadium gates at 4:30, and the fans pouring in to watch?

3. Diz - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:55 PM

If the storms maintain their energy and path, it looks like it'll be at the park right around 7 pm.

4. Marty - Jul 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I think this one might get postponed.

5. Tcostant - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Don't forget that Wang is starting for the P-Nats tonight. BTW – Did everyone see that P-Nats finally got their new stadium deal

6. JaneB - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Maybe just delayed, not postponed. Jordan is going to get another win notched tonight.A separate question: In a Wild Pitch, why doesn't that count as as error? Why is it's it's own category of scoring?

7. Go Nats - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:02 PM

When Werth and Tracy come back, what roster moves get made? Assuming they stay with 5 bench player I'd say get rid of DeRosa and Ankiel (either another convenient "injury" or cut them). This would leave our bench as: – Lombo (OF/2B)- Moore (OF/1B)- Bernadina (OF)- Tracy (PH/3B) – Solano (backup C) Lombo/Moore/Solano seem like locks to me. Bernadina v. Ankiel is closer call, I'd stick with Bernadina because he is hitting better right now(Ankiel has proven to me at this point he cannot hit at the MLB level) being younger, cheaper, faster (pinch runner purposes) and still a solid defensive OF (sure Ankiel has a better arm, but +arm doesn't help all that much as a backup OF in my opinion). Based on how well Tracy was playing at the start of the year, I'd vote to give him a shot over DeRosa at this point. Just my opinion, but will be interesting to see how the Nats manage this!

8. natsfan1a - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Tconstant, yes, I did see that. It will be closer for us, which will be nice. That said, I'll believe it when I see it, because they've been talking about a new ballpark forever.Nice about Werth's BP.On a game note: Go, Jordan! Go, NATS BATS!!

9. Section 222 - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Thoughtful analysis GoNats. I fear that Davey might not be ready to give up on DeRosa yet, but I sure am. Ankiel definitely seems like one of the odd men out at this point. He's given us some thrills, but his arm just can't overcome his lack of offensive production.

10. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:12 PM

if not mistaken, I don't think tomorrow's weather is any better.

11. Unknown - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I think it is imperative that the Nationals have someone like Rick Ankiel on the bench for the postseason. Tyler Moore is going to be a very good player, but he sure didn't look good in that at-bat in the 9th last night when he struck out on three curve balls with the winning run on third and two out. Also, as I recall, wasn't he at the plate with two strikes in the 10th and two out, only to be saved by that wild pitch? I want Moore there, but I think the team needs veteran bats and defenders if they play in October.Farid @ Idaho

12. bobfromalexandria - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:18 PM

13. baseballswami - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM

New ball park ( if it ever actually happens) will be about 2 miles from my work. Pfitzner is an absolute hole and needs to be replaced. Lots of things still need to be worked out – hope it happens. It will definitely be a much better location and a parking garage will be great. As it stands now, on a crowded night it takes an hour to get out of there.

14. Tcostant - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Pfitzner is just bad, although the new park will be further from me. I was already looking forward to seeing lower level baseball by Dulles Town Center (Hounds?) but I don't see any construstion there.Pfitzner is so bad, that once a year we take the treak to Bowie, which is a great place to see a game, despite their team affilation.

15. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Go Nats said, "Based on how well Tracy was playing at the start of the year, I'd vote to give him a shot over DeRosa at this point."Based on DeRosa's performance at this point, I'd vote Nook Logan ahead of him.

16. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Turned off last night's game at 3-2 top of the 9th so pleasantly surprised that they salvaged a win in the 10th. What was bothering me most as I went to bed was the idea that a Zimmermann-G. Gonzalez-Strasburg three game winning streak was the best I could hope for, into a weekend in which the family will be going to the Saturday night cap. Now I see five in a row, maybe six before someone (he who must not be named) lights a stink bomb. The Nats need several five game (winning) streaks; the Braves just will not give up. Every time they lose to someone (Mets) they ought to beat could cost them the lead. This stretch against the NL East (29 games from the All-Star break through the end of August) is where the division must be won.

17. JD - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Farid, You are hyper analyzing Moore's at bats last night but in the same sentence you claim that we need Ankiel? Are you kidding?

18. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I'm a Bob Ryan-Wannabe: I just checked the radar. There's a storm over DC at the moment, but it's moving out. There's nothing north of Richmond to worry about. There was a big storm over Frederick earlier but it's moving Eastward.Blue skies, nothing but blue skies, from now on.Plus, we're still in Soul Possession.

19. natsfan1a - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM

20. natsfan1a - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Never saw the sun shining so bright,Never saw things going so right,Noticing the days hurrying by,When your team wins, my how they fly(Just had to finish that thought. What can I say? My dad was a would-be crooner. :-))

21. natsfan1a - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:35 PM

tcostant, yes, that would be the Hounds.I was already looking forward to seeing lower level baseball by Dulles Town Center (Hounds?) but I don't see any construstion there.

22. natsfan1a - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:38 PM

The gremlin of the Mets headline continues. Wait, didn't we win the last time that happened? I can't recall but I'm going to go ahead and say we did. :-)bobfromalexandria said…Hey Mark — check the headline. You've got "Nats at Mets." Not as bad as "Dewey Beats Truman," but still …July 18, 2012 4:18 PM

23. DHamm - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Has long as someone mentioned the Hounds…What I don't get about this whole thing is that Hagerstown wants a new stadium. Winchester tried to get the Hagerstown franchise to move, but wouldn't build them stadium. Hagerstown won't build a new stadium. There is already plans, albeit seemingly failed, and certianly delayed plans, to build a new stadium in Loudoun.At this point, I can't imagine that the Atlantic League isn't telling the Hounds to go fetch something after all of the delays. Seems like a perfect fit to move the Hagerstown franchise to Loudoun, but I never hear it being discussed. The shroud of secrecy looms large. Or maybe it's just ambivalence.Sure would be great to have two minor league affiliates so close, though.

24. Go Nats - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Unknown – I agree about the veteran presence on the team for the postseason (awesome to mention playoffs!). From the MLB site "From September 1 through the end of the season the entire 40-man roster is eligible to play for the Club at the Major League level"So I take that to me the post season rosters are continue to be expanded to 40? If so, does that mean veterans on the team (Ankiel, DeRosa, Nady), could continue to have convenient "injuries" or accept to go to the minors during the month of August so they could be back on the team Sept1 thru the playoffs?

25. Go Nats - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:43 PM

source from above comment:http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/about_mlb/rules_regulations.jsp

26. MicheleS - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:45 PM

So I will be out of town for the next several days. All Copyright/Trademark (or whatever) are released if you know what I mean.GYFNG! I want a win for Jordan tonight! (Plus I want to give my Mets loving co-worker a ton of grief! That was a great thing to do at 9 am this morning!)

27. MicheleS - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Sounds like the onion has been bitten by the oblique bug, hate to see him go on DL, but happy if Leon gets called up. Kid deserves more than a couple of innings in the majors this year.

28. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:50 PM

It is HAMMERING down here now in Shaw, big thunder and very dark, strong winds.

29. Twinbrook - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:50 PM

so does anyone think they'll play tonight?

30. natsfan1a - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Safe travels, MicheleS. If memory serves, you were going to Santo's [imo too late] HOF induction? If there's any of his family there, give them an extra loud cheer for me.

31. natsfan1a - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Evidently there's a severe thunderstorm watch for the entire metro area until 9 PM.

32. Twinbrook - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Downtown DC is getting hammered right now

33. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:57 PM

So I take that to me the post season rosters are continue to be expanded to 40? Go Nats, no. The postseason roster is the 25-man roster AS OF midnight, Aug. 31, EXCEPT if there are injuries (or "injuries") the team can replace that player before a given series starts with any player who was in the organization, anywhere, as of Aug. 31, provided they add them to the 40-man if he wasn't on it already, and provided the MLB Commissioner's office OK's it. If the injury is mid-series, they can only replace "like with like"–a pitcher for a pitcher, or a position player for a position player. The injured player who was replaced is then ineligible for the rest of that series, and for the following one, if they advance.

34. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Twinbrook, I'd say it's even money, but I don't think they can start on time.

35. bowdenball - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

It's more than two hours to first pitch, people. The hourly forecast shows the chance of precipitation dropping to 15% at 8 PM. So lt's not get ahead of ourselves, although it would sure be nice if we didn't have to use Lannan in the weekend series against the Braves.

36. Section 222 - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM

On the weather, anything that cools things down even a little bit for Strasburg is ok in my book. Is he going up against Dickey tomorrow?And boy is the weekend looking nice — high of 79 for the Saturday doubleheader. Sweet! Too bad it's day/night and not "traditional."

37. baseballswami - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM

In PrinceWilliam and I hope we get se rain here. None yet. It's so hot and dry. Go Nats!!!!!

38. Doc - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Yeah, I think that NIs should develop a list of ailments and pseudo-injuries for Nady, Ankiel, and DeRosa….and pass them along to Rizzo, he's probably looking for ideas!

39. Roly - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Nats at Mets? Have they moved the game to NY due to the rain?

40. Steady Eddie - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:10 PM

222 — No, it's Gio against Dickey tomorrow.Stras starts Friday night, with an expected high of 82 — BELOW the magic number of 90 degrees!

41. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Gio against Dickey tomorrow.

42. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM

There's a line of storms over the mountains now that might steer toward DC and the game. They should know more about where that winds up by gametime, but if it does line up right at us, they won't get this one in.

43. Steady Eddie - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM

All the nervous weather Nellies — we had a 10 minute downpour in downtown but it's now eased off to light rain (in which people without umbrellas are not dashing for cover).

44. Twinbrook - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM

question: Does First and Third Base Club seats include Stars and Stripes admission?

45. MicheleS - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Twinbrook if you are in 206-221, yes, you have access to the Stars & Stripes club

46. Go Nats - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Thanks Sec.3, My Sofa for the clarification. Your explanation was significantly better than anything I found on the MLB site. I'd feel very good going into the postseason then with the bench of: Lombo, Moore, Bernadina, Tracy and a backup catcher (preferably Solano based on his solid hitting, so hopefully he is healthy).

47. Gonat - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Twinbrook, if you walk inside the double doors on the club level you have access to the Stars and Stripes.

48. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:20 PM

A separate question: In a Wild Pitch, why doesn't that count as as error? Why is it's it's own category of scoring? Because it's not a fielding play, it's the pitcher's fault. A passed ball is treated like an error for the purpose of scoring. The winning run last night, e.g., was earned, but if that had been scored a passed ball, it would have been an unearned run, since passed balls aren't the pitcher's fault, technically.

49. peric - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Assuming they stay with 5 bench player I'd say get rid of DeRosa and Ankiel (either another convenient "injury" or cut them). This would leave our bench as: That's probably not going to happen GoNats. They'll likely option one or both of Tyler Moore and Steve Lombardozzi. They'll be back with the September call-ups. With Morse, Werth, and Tracy they would have their full complement of veterans again. Given Desmond's lingering injury Lombo probably has the best chance of keeping a spot. Moore would almost need an injury/trade of LaRoche to get regular playing time.

50. Steady Eddie - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Weather map now shows very light rain through 6:45 or 7, then nothing at all inside the Beltway until 10:30 at the earliest.Not gospel, YMMV, but I suspect at most we'd have a 30 minute delay to start. Bring an old towel to the park to dry off your seats!

51. JaneB - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I know DeRosa's stats are, umm, in the basement. But he manufactured one of the "we can keep playing till we win" runs last night. And he has done it before. I'm just saying'…

52. JD - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Here you go. Moore against a righty; it's about time.

53. JD - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

JaneB, One can always find instances to make such a case both negatively and positively. Nady has one or 2 big home runs as well. But when making roster decisions one must look at the entire body of work and when everyone is healthy I don't know how you justify keeping a roster spot for DeRosa.

54. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Yanno, this may be a quibble, butI don't think that's quite it, looking at "the entire body of work." I know what you mean, but I think you look at the likelihood of his being able to produce in the situation he's going to be in, and the entire body of work might not always be relevant to that, nor predictive.

55. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Looks like the storms coming off the mountain may be breaking up some, but there's still a mess o' stuff between here and Columbus, Ohio. I'm guessing 65-35 they play tonight, personally.

56. #natitude - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/bowden-on-padres-tigers-indians-royals-pirates.htmlMorse for upton? ehh… idk what do u guys think

57. Bigfish - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM

"I was already looking forward to seeing lower level baseball by Dulles Town Center (Hounds?) but I don't see any construstion there.""tcostant, yes, that would be the Hounds."Wouldn't the Cowboys be better? Dulles Cowboys?

58. JD - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM

#natitude,That's an old rumor from last year which Bowden is regurgitating.It's not a crazy idea especially with Moore establishing himself but I don't know if it has any merit.

59. Steady Eddie - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Sec 3 — look at the moving weather map. While it's only a projection, it shows the stuff west of the mountains dumping everything on the Blue Ridge and not getting east of there. A phenonmenon well known to my daughter who went to a summer camp in WV just west of Winchester and frequently had storms that never made it to DC.I think this is getting even sillier on both our parts than speculation on whether there would be an innings limit for Stras if he hadn't had TJ!

60. baseballswami - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I think Upton messes with the team chemistry big time. I can't see him and Werth working together and I can't see Upton being good for Harper. Not a fan.

61. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Eddie, that's the one I look at, on Accuweather. Seems to be breaking up, looking good.

62. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM

After watching last nites Nats/Mets game and now watching the Dodgers/Phillies, I've decided MLB is now a game of Imploding Bullpens.

63. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Bigfish FTW."Wouldn't the Cowboys be better? Dulles Cowboys?"

64. JaneB - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Okay. After Kristina's interview with roommates Lombo and Tyler Moore — I'm officially in the tank for both of them, too. I love that they came up together and have been best friends for years. Another true benefit to the long term Lerners/Kasten/Rizzo homegrown talent plan. Better change through (team) chemistry. #Natitude.

65. natsfan1a - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM

66. natsfan1a - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Funny you should mention that, NatsJack. I happened to click over to the MASN sports report earlier, and they had a graphic showing that the Nats lead the league in inducing blown leads (for the opposing team, heh), with 16, I believe it was. Also, the walk-off tally was 8, I think.

67. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I believe Chris Young has some serious numbers against us. Let's see what we can do.

68. baseballswami - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:21 PM

JaneB – missed the interview. Any chance they will have it on the masn site?

69. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:23 PM

SO, like I said, no chance this gets rained out. Perfect weather. Nothing to worry about…

70. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:37 PM

kemp walks off and ends Phillies winning streak. :D

71. phil dunton - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Morse for Upton is dumb. You don't trade a .300 hitter with power for a .240 hitter with less power.

72. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Justin or BJ? BJ is more like .250, and Justin about .275, which is less than Morse's, when he's playing, but Justin is always out there.

73. phil dunton - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:51 PM

The trade being discussed is BJ for Morse. If it was Justin, I would make the trade in a heartbeat.

74. phil dunton - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Nats need a catcher who can provide some offense. Flores isn't producing.

75. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:55 PM

You mean discussed by Jim Bowden? Ummm. Ok.

76. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Davey doesn't think they do. Davey is happy with the defense from Flores, and getting the hits elsewhere.

77. phil dunton - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Bowden, yes.

78. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:59 PM

They could try the Time Machine Josh Gibson, but the Time Machine Willie Mays in center didn't work out.

79. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM

D'OH! Floppy glove hit.

80. hiramhover - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I like Harper's speed, but not always his judgment on the base paths. I'm assuming that will come with age, tho.

81. Tim - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Did I hear Bob Carpenter say that Lannan might be pitching an upcoming game? I just walked into the room when I thought I heard that? Anybody heard anything?

82. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Tim, Lannan is starting one game of the split doubleheader, announced Monday.

83. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Is it just me, or is Andres Torres a bowler?

84. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Hiram, I don't disagree, but he was stealing second when Zimm lined out to center. I don't know what he could have done by that point.

85. Marty - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Chris Young looks like Randy Johnson at the plate. How tall is he?

86. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Jordan hangs that breaking pitch to somebody every outing. Glad it wasto Young andnot Wtight

87. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Marty, he's listed as 6' 10".

88. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM

OK, get Murphy, and pitch around Wright.

89. JaneB - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I Iiked Davey's plan better, Sofa!

90. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Lombo really scares me defensively.

91. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Another thing I like about Harper: he two-hands fly balls.

92. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I know he's not as good as Espinosa at second, but scares you? Why?

93. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I'm going to guess you'll say he's slow to get rid of the ball, and doesn't always charge slow ones? Am I close?

94. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I've seen to many routine ground balls to him whete it is routinely fielded, thrown to first, and the hitter beats the throw.

95. hiramhover - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Sec 3Yeah, I give him credit for the steal, but I think as soon as Zim made contact Harper decided he was getting to 3B, at least. He looked to the outfield bwn 1B and 2B but seemed to misread the fielder's play on the ball and ran thru 2B at full speed.

96. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:51 AM

So, yes. I'll count that as close enough.

97. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I've seen it in Florida Instructs and Spring Training. And it isn't something I've seen from anyone else anywhere.

98. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I agree, Hiram (with you and Mark) that he didn't get a good read at all.

99. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:54 AM

" And it isn't something I've seen from anyone else anywhere. "You mean you've never seen anyone else comment on it?

100. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:55 AM

77 mph. Cortizone won't help you now.

101. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM

No. I've never seen routine ground balls become base hits by any other fielders at the pro level.

102. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM

On Lombo, I've been noticing that he's slow to get rid of the ball–I wouldn't call it deliberate, so much as just slow–but I've only noticed the plays getting close, rather than turning into hits. Just anecdotal.

103. Joe Seamhead - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Adam!

104. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:00 AM

ALR, OTOH, not slow to get to that! The Buck Stopped there!

105. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:01 AM

He got lucky last nite on the one play.

106. slidell2 - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Bryce keeps getting on base; sooner or later something good will happen.

107. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:04 AM

You mean the blown call. The Nats overall got lucky.

108. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:04 AM

OK…..no Imploding Bullpens tonite, please?

109. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Morse's legs are so long, I think it's deceptive how much ground he covers. That was a nice catch.

110. Joe Seamhead - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Nice catch by Morse! Tom Gorzelany, please give us a couple of shutout innings.

111. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing the Mets' pen give up a six or two.

112. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM

And who are the posters here that don't like ALR?

113. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM

@MicheleS: Travel safely and enjoy Cooperstown. We will protect all Copyrights and Trademarks (TM) until your safe return. We've GOT to do a game together when you return.

114. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:12 AM

ummm, Mick, if he didn't just homer.

115. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM

OH, yes… MICHELE, go there, have fun, return safely!

116. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Isn't mick the guy that claims the Nats will only win 73 games after every loss?

117. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM

83 games.

118. sm13 - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM

It's not Gorzo if he doesn't give up a run. We really can't afford these types of outings.

119. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM

MicheleS….if you've never been, take your time and see everything. It's heaven on earth.

120. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:17 AM

I think if Harper is in right, he has a good chance at the plate. Morse, no play.

121. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Give the Mets some credit, though; even if this holds up, they don't go away.

122. sm13 - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Great play by Morse to hit the cutoff man — Roger might want to watch the video of that play.

123. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:19 AM

No. He has the Nats totally collapsing and finishing 4th with 73, I think. Could be wrong, though.Let's get some runs.

124. ehay2k - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:20 AM

125. Fear and Ignorance - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I am so sick of Davey pulling the starters early and watching leads go away. This is starting to become too common.

126. ehay2k - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Who waxed the infield dirt? Looks like a sock hop out there with everyone slipping and sliding.

127. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Jesus Flores is starting to look, when he runs, too much like Carlos Baerga. Just sayin.

128. ehay2k - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:24 AM

F&I, he is taking care of his starters. Think back to Riggleman and he had a quick hook. Detwiler went seven full last night.Flores!

129. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:24 AM

FINALLY! A ball off the pitcher that does NOT bounce right to a fielder.

130. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM

NO WAY! Lombo!

131. ehay2k - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Ouch – after that bruising hit, Miss Iowa will not be able to participate in the swimsuit competition.

132. joemktg - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Serious backspin on the Lombo drive to the scoreboard.Wang finished up 4 innings at the Pfitz. 3 hits, 3 ER. But no flyouts and 10 groundouts: sinker working. Timing couldn't be better for good showcased performance.

133. Nattering Nat - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Batista, you almost failed us! Thank goodness for the Mets relievers.

134. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM

So defensively he scares me but offensively, I really like him.

135. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:29 AM

As I was about to say, what quick hook? It's 2012, Double-Duty Radcliffe is resting in peace, well-deserved peace. The guy went six innings. That works.

136. ehay2k - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Defensively, Lombo makes you realize just how good Espi is. Unfortunately, the reverse is true for offense.

137. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:32 AM

So, Jack, does that count as a bullpen implosion?

138. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Espinosa is hitting now.

139. ehay2k - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Sec3 – small sample size. :-P

140. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Way to early to judge implosion or not. The Mets were dowm and didn't hold it close. But it's a Nats implosion I want to avoid.

141. Sec.3, My Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:40 AM

I got yer small sample size right here…wait, that isn't what I meant…

142. ehay2k - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Burnett looks to be not quite as sharp as he was earlier in the season. Hope his arm is just tired.

143. ehay2k - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Whew!

144. ehay2k - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Lol Sec3

145. sm13 - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Jon Rauch had fluid drained from both knees todsu. You gotta give him credit for guts to be out on the mound tonight.

146. Albert Einstein - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:45 AM

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

147. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:48 AM

why would a fish give a flyin flip what I think?

148. ehay2k - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Good point Einstein. We have some guys who are probably better tree-climbers than hitters.

149. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Wookie just isn't the same since he had that wax.

150. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:56 AM

OK, granted I turn the sound off for commercials, but I Do Not get that Verizon Xfinity commercial with the two women tanning in the back yard. I just don't get it.

151. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:57 AM

T-Clip is in a slump.

152. hiramhover - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Just so I can mark my calendar – when is it ok to start worrying about Clip?

153. ehay2k - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Uh oh, Clippard not looking comfortable out there.

154. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM

OK, so that's four (?) consecutive outings for Clippard that didn't exactly go as planned. Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a little outside.Just wondering, how much, if any, Storen's imminent return is affecting him. Or is he just tired and hot?

155. phil dunton - Jul 19, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Clip looking like H-Rod!

156. sm13 - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:00 AM

The epic battle between the unholy change up and the killer slider begins Saturday, when both Drew and Tyler get save chances.

157. ehay2k - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:03 AM

I think Clip has been in a lot of games.Most likely tired. Drew returns soon.

158. hiramhover - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Hey – look! There's that note on my calendar, right here.

159. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:03 AM

is he tipping?

160. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Yanno, the Mets are impressing me here. Better get one more out here, Clip. These guys ain't beaten yet.

161. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:03 AM

1 more pitch away from a total implosion.

162. mick - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM

OK, this can not happen

163. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Clippard: KaBoom – KaBoom!!!!!Can Valdepsin make it a Trifecta??

164. mick - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I have kept my cool tonight via sjm's advice…. but thi is ridiculous

165. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Clippard: verge of a head trip.

166. mick - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM

ok, all is well

167. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Phew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

168. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM

If the situation were reversed we'd be ranting about how good the Nats hitters were, not how bad the Mets bullpen was. The other guy gets paid a lot of money, too. Deal with it.

169. sjm308 - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM

There you go!Bang Zoom (oops) Whooooo Hoooo!

170. Dryw Loves the Nats - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM

The only way Clip resembles Oh Henry is that they both make us nervous. Bad Henry walks and WPs his way into trouble, but pretty much nobody ever really hits him, even when he's bad. (why would any professional hitter swing at a ball that bounces 20 feet in front of the plate or that goes behind his back?) Clip is just getting bombed lately.

171. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM

WOW we won.

172. ehay2k - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM

But that was a filthy pitch.

173. hiramhover - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Ridiculous, but done!

174. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Woooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooooo TM Michele

175. mick - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:07 AM

I will take 2 of 3, i really do not expect us to beat Dicky tomorrow , i hope Braves can lose too

176. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Hey Section 3: Who died and made you King Crank?People have opinions that are very valid.Deal with it, dude.

177. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Whew! Had it all the way.

178. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:07 AM

179. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Mark this down: We will rock Dickey's world tomorrow.Hold me to it.Cant wait to see it.

180. mick - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:08 AM

This is OK now, we just need to go into weekend up 2-3 games over Braves if we can take 3 of 4 over them that would be huge the rest of the way

181. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:09 AM

that's smart that you removed that, dude.

182. sm13 - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Seconding that wooo hoooo (TM Michelle). Recipe for tomorrow's matinee is more Gio, less drama.

183. mick - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:09 AM

NatsFanSinceStart hope you are right… if that happens then Mets are done and it is Braves – Nats the rest of the way

184. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:11 AM

If only, Mick.I remember the miracle Mets of '69 who were 10 down on August 1.Long time to go.

185. sm13 - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Giants have tied it up 1-1.

186. ehay2k - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Our bullpen was fine, because we got the win. It's not like they can pitch no-hitters every time out. They call them averages for a reason.Another win against a division opponent, young players contribute, starting pitching was again great.

187. mick - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:14 AM

NatsFanSinceStart that was a solid Mets team in 1969 my friend. what was more impressive was the 1973 Mets who were in last place 10 back in August, they finished 83-79 and beat the Big Red Machine in NLCS, Rose got his ass kicked by all of New York, but unfortunately the Mets lost in seven to the A's in the WS.That was the year the sign You gotta Believe" beganman i love this game!!!

188. mick - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:15 AM

yes sir sjm go Giants!!

189. waddu eye no - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Faraz Shaikh said…is he tipping?clip tip?just a blip.don't flip.could hurt his WHIP. but not his hip.minor slip.he'll get back his zip and let er rip.and right the ship.kook aid? take a sip.what a long strange trip.

190. natsfan1a - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:33 AM

it's been

191. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:45 AM

NatsFanSinceStart said… that's smart that you removed that, dude.I decided I was out of line. Not sure how smart it was. It's not as if I'm at risk of anything.

192. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:47 AM

I mean, seriously. What's the worst that could happen if I left it?

193. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:51 AM

For those who missed it, I criticized Mick for showing up late, and negative, but I was necessarily harsh about it.

194. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:51 AM

UN necessarily. UN.

195. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Perhaps I haven't entirely internalized the lesson. I'll work on that. Penance in the bleachers tomorrow.