Jul 18, 2012, 9:42 PM EDT
Jhonatan Solano will likely be placed on the disabled list following tonight's game with a strained oblique muscle, manager Davey Johnson said today.
Solano has been dealing with the injury since he last played, Sunday in Miami. Jesus Flores is in the Nationals' lineup tonight for the third straight day, and with a 12:35 p.m. start scheduled tomorrow, the club is going to need a healthy backup catcher to give Flores a break.
That catcher is expected to be Sandy Leon, who joined the Nationals May 14 after Opening Day starter Wilson Ramos tore the ACL in his right knee but then suffered a high ankle sprain four innings into his major-league debut. Leon has since recovered and is currently hitting .313 at Class AA Harrisburg.
Solano's injury is a tough blow for the 26-year-old rookie, who hasRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats get big hit for big win
- Nationals grind their way to walk-off victory
- Former Nats catcher Chris Snyder retires from MLB
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.