Jul 19, 2012, 4:39 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann churned out six more scoreless innings to lower his ERA to 2.35.
If there are still any detractors out there for the Nationals’ plan to shut down Stephen Strasburg in September, perhaps these words from Jordan Zimmermann following another stellar pitching performance Wednesday night will help change their minds.
“I definitely feel stronger another year after surgery,” said Zimmermann, now nearly three full years removed from Tommy John surgery. “Last year was hit-or-miss. I didn’t know how I was going to feel. But this whole year I’ve been feeling great. I haven’t had any aches or pains. So, knock on wood, I hope that keeps going.”
The Nationals certainly hope Zimmermann keeps this up, because what he’s doing right now is out-pitching everyone else from their star-studded rotation, not to mention out-pitching just about every other hurler in the big leagues.
With six more scoreless innings — helping pave the way for a 4-3 victory over the Mets — Zimmermann continued both his streak of consistent quality work as well as his recent streak of sheer excellence on the mound.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Strasburg, Nationals look to secure series win vs. Mariners
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League