Jul 19, 2012, 4:39 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann churned out six more scoreless innings to lower his ERA to 2.35.
If there are still any detractors out there for the Nationals’ plan to shut down Stephen Strasburg in September, perhaps these words from Jordan Zimmermann following another stellar pitching performance Wednesday night will help change their minds.
“I definitely feel stronger another year after surgery,” said Zimmermann, now nearly three full years removed from Tommy John surgery. “Last year was hit-or-miss. I didn’t know how I was going to feel. But this whole year I’ve been feeling great. I haven’t had any aches or pains. So, knock on wood, I hope that keeps going.”
The Nationals certainly hope Zimmermann keeps this up, because what he’s doing right now is out-pitching everyone else from their star-studded rotation, not to mention out-pitching just about every other hurler in the big leagues.
With six more scoreless innings — helping pave the way for a 4-3 victory over the Mets — Zimmermann continued both his streak of consistent quality work as well as his recent streak of sheer excellence on the mound.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day