Jul 19, 2012, 7:39 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
David Wright clubbed a pair of home runs to give the Mets an early lead.
Game in a nutshell: A couple of 12-game winners and All-Stars opposing each other on the mound? Sounds like a great pitchers' duel, right? Well, not entirely. R.A. Dickey held up his part of the bargain, tossing 7 1/3 strong innings. Gio Gonzalez, however, labored through his worst start of the season. The lefty was tagged for six earned runs in only 3 1/3 innings, three of those runs scoring on homers. And the Mets weren't done raking at the plate. David Wright crushed a three-run blast off Craig Stammen in the fourth, his second home run of the afternoon. Trailing 9-1 after that, the Nationals just played out the string, though there was an encouraging sight at day's end: Drew Storen made his season debut, tossing a 1-2-3 ninth and hitting 93 mph with his fastball.
Hitting highlight: Tough to find many offensive highlights when you're down 9-1 in the sixth inning, but how about some recognition for Sandy Leon. The poor guy's big-league debut in May didn't even last fourRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats lose as Reds rock Scherzer in rare poor outing
- How Scherzer decision could make another National an All-Star
- Span gets MRI; plus updates on Escobar and Zim
- Scherzer, Cueto face off as Nats take on Reds
- Fister still working out mechanical glitches
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released