Jul 19, 2012, 6:51 PM EDT
Rendon, the sixth overall pick in last summer’s draft, started at third base and led off for the rookie league Gulf Coast Nationals. He went 0-for-2, lining out in the first inning and flying out in the third inning.
This was Rendon’s first game action since April 7, when in only his second game with Class A Potomac he slipped and fell rounding third base, fracturing his left ankle in the process.
The Nationals had hoped all along the 22-year-old would recover in time to play before season’s end. He’s technically still on the disabled list and is appearing on a rehab assignment in the GCL, but there’s a reasonable chance he could come off the DL and return to play at Potomac before the minor-league regular season ends Sept. 3.
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs