Jul 20, 2012, 9:10 PM EDT
But when Werth was strolling around the clubhouse at Nationals Park at 4 p.m. — on a Friday afternoon with heavy traffic throughout the area — the notion of the outfielder playing three hours later in Woodbridge seemed out of the question.
Indeed, the Nationals decided to delay Werth's rehab debut a day, both because of the poor weather forecast and some stiffness in his surgically repaired left wrist.
The Nationals aren't concerned at all by the stiffness, and manager Davey Johnson that development actually was expected by doctors.
"That's a good sign," Johnson said. "He said he pushed it to the point where it got a little stiff. And he said once you get that, you're good to go. He said he heated it up a little in here and did a few exercises andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?