Jul 21, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nationals Park hosts a day-night doubleheader today.
Call me a hopeless romantic — and believe me, I've been called worse — but among the many things I love about baseball is the fact there's always another game to be played. Unlike football and every other sport, you can't celebrate wins or agonize over losses for days, because you've got to immediately shift your focus to the next day's game. Or, as the case may be, the next day's TWO games.
That's right. Last night's debacle of an 11-10 loss is ancient history, because we've got a day-night doubleheader to be played. Edwin Jackson will face Ben Sheets in the 1:05 p.m. opener. John Lannan then makes his 2012 big-league debut against Randall Delgado in the 7:05 p.m. nightcap.
Your morning injury updates: Jesus Flores' stiff back is fine and he'll be behind the plate for the opener. Ian Desmond's oblique is good enough that manager Davey Johnson may let his shortstop play both games. Everyone in the bullpen is officially available, Davey says, though he'd prefer to stay away from Craig Stammen (who threw four innings on Thursday) and Michael Gonzalez (who threw 30 pitches last night).
Plenty of baseball on tap today, which means plenty of updates right here, so please check back often…
ATLANTA BRAVES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS (Game 1)
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Scattered storms, 74 degrees, Wind 7 mph in from RF
LF Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
RF Michael Morse
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club