Jul 21, 2012, 12:55 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Chad Cordero poses with fans before throwing out the first pitch tonight.
Chad Cordero always figured he’d stand on the mound at Nationals Park in 2012 and fire a pitch toward the plate. He just never figured he’d do it wearing shorts and flip-flops, nor that he’d do it 10 minutes before the actual first pitch of a game was thrown.
“It’s just kind of weird to put on a Nationals jersey in general,” Cordero said with a laugh this afternoon. “I never thought I’d be able to come back here and throw out a first pitch. It’s cool. It’s unbelievable.”
Four years removed from his last in-game appearance at Nationals Park and a year removed from his retirement announcement, Cordero was back in D.C. tonight, honored by his former team before it played the Braves.
Still the Nationals’ all-time leader (by leaps and bounds) with 113 career saves, Cordero’s career came to a screeching halt in April 2008 when he tore the labrum in his right shoulder. Not tendered a contract by former general manager Jim Bowden following the season, the reliever did recover and return to the big leagues with the Mariners in 2010, but made only nine appearances.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense
- Who is the Nats best 8th inning option?
- Fister pitches 3 innings, on track for May 7 return
- Nats Game Thread: No rest for Desmond