Jul 22, 2012, 11:27 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Ryan Zimmerman’s two homers staked the Nationals to an early lead.
There was a point early Saturday evening in which the Nationals’ season appeared to be at a potential breaking point. Having already lost the first two games of a showdown series with the Braves — blowing a nine-run lead in one of them — they now put themselves in an early 2-0 hole in the nightcap of a doubleheader.
At that moment, the idea of the Nationals finding themselves in second place by Sunday evening was terrifyingly possible.
But then John Lannan pitched the game of his life to lead his team to a come-from-behind victory. And then Ryan Zimmerman led an early offensive onslaught against Atlanta right-hander Jair Jurrjens Sunday afternoon. And then Ross Detwiler slammed the door on any possibility of another meltdown with seven strong innings.
And by the end of the day, the Nationals not only had themselves a 9-2 win but a split of this key series and a 3 1/2-game lead once again over their chief competition in the NL East.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager
- A rocky two years: Matt Williams' tenure as Nats manager
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates