Jul 22, 2012, 9:38 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond will miss at least a month, possibly more, with a torn oblique muscle.
Updated at 6:39 p.m.
The Nationals have survived, and even thrived, all season despite a never-ending string of injuries to key players. In only 3 1/2 months, they’ve seen their projected Opening Day catcher, third baseman, left fielder, center fielder, right fielder, utilityman, top pinch-hitter, closer and three backup catchers spend time on the disabled list.
The latest addition to that list — Ian Desmond — may be the toughest to replace of them all.
Desmond will be placed on the 15-day DL with a torn left oblique muscle, manager Davey Johnson announced following today’s 9-2 victory over the Braves. There’s no official timetable for the All-Star shortstop’s return, but injuries of this nature typically take at least a month, often two, to fully heal.
“I know a lot of clubs have been hit,” Johnson said. “But we’ve been lambasted with injuries to key people. … Seems like we’ve had to change roles: bullpen, offensive configuration. Been a rough year in that regard.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?