Jul 22, 2012, 9:38 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond will miss at least a month, possibly more, with a torn oblique muscle.
Updated at 6:39 p.m.
The Nationals have survived, and even thrived, all season despite a never-ending string of injuries to key players. In only 3 1/2 months, they’ve seen their projected Opening Day catcher, third baseman, left fielder, center fielder, right fielder, utilityman, top pinch-hitter, closer and three backup catchers spend time on the disabled list.
The latest addition to that list — Ian Desmond — may be the toughest to replace of them all.
Desmond will be placed on the 15-day DL with a torn left oblique muscle, manager Davey Johnson announced following today’s 9-2 victory over the Braves. There’s no official timetable for the All-Star shortstop’s return, but injuries of this nature typically take at least a month, often two, to fully heal.
“I know a lot of clubs have been hit,” Johnson said. “But we’ve been lambasted with injuries to key people. … Seems like we’ve had to change roles: bullpen, offensive configuration. Been a rough year in that regard.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch