Jul 22, 2012, 9:38 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond will miss at least a month, possibly more, with a torn oblique muscle.
Updated at 6:39 p.m.
The Nationals have survived, and even thrived, all season despite a never-ending string of injuries to key players. In only 3 1/2 months, they’ve seen their projected Opening Day catcher, third baseman, left fielder, center fielder, right fielder, utilityman, top pinch-hitter, closer and three backup catchers spend time on the disabled list.
The latest addition to that list — Ian Desmond — may be the toughest to replace of them all.
Desmond will be placed on the 15-day DL with a torn left oblique muscle, manager Davey Johnson announced following today’s 9-2 victory over the Braves. There’s no official timetable for the All-Star shortstop’s return, but injuries of this nature typically take at least a month, often two, to fully heal.
“I know a lot of clubs have been hit,” Johnson said. “But we’ve been lambasted with injuries to key people. … Seems like we’ve had to change roles: bullpen, offensive configuration. Been a rough year in that regard.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates
- Roark will return to Nats' rotation with Fister out
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy