Game 94: Braves at Nats

Jul 22, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats try to salvage a series split and increase their NL East lead to 3 1/2 games.

What was the significance of last night's 5-2 win over the Braves? Well, instead of showing up at the park today in danger of getting swept and losing first place in the NL East for the first time in two months, the Nationals know they have an opportunity to salvage a split and get their lead back to 3 1/2 games, where it was when this series opened on Friday. Pretty big difference.

The Nationals will attempt to do that without Ian Desmond or Jesus Flores in their lineup. Desmond's oblique strain acted up again during last night's game, so he's getting a rest. For now, the team doesn't believe the injury is getting worse or that a DL stint is going to become a possibility — "I don't really want to go there," Davey Johnson said this morning. Flores, meanwhile, still is bothered by a stiff back, so Sandy Leon gets another start behind the plate.

Bryce Harper, on the other hand, is back in the lineup, fighting through a bruised left ankle after fouling a bunt off himself during yesterday's opener. He certainly looked fine coming off the bench during last night's win.

The skies appear to actually be clearing up after a long weekend of rain and gray. Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…

ATLANTA BRAVES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS (Game 2)
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 50, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 80 degrees, Wind 6 mph RF to LF

2B Steve Lombardozzi
RF Bryce Harper
LF Michael Morse

1. MicheleS - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Up at the HOF ceremonies. GYFNG! GO NATS GO DET!

2. mick - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Flores must be hurt

3. JaneB - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I'm worried about Flores too. Who is the back up to the back up to the back up to the back up catcher we can call up if we need to? I've lost track.GYFNG!!! Leaving for the stadium now.

4. Mr. Doggett - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Taking my 2 year old to his first real game today. So pumped. GYFNG!!!!

5. Kirbs - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Dogget I'm jealous!!! I have a 2 and a half and have yet to do it…let's get this split!!

6. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Michele, does it get any better than that? Watching a win from Cooperstown! And Little Doggett gets baptised into the Church of Baseball–GYLDG!

7. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Jane, I'm guessing Koyie Hill would be next. On the half-full side, I believe he homered the other day for Syracuse. Flores's back is understandably balky–he might not need two weeks, but he sure needs a few days.

8. MicheleS - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Sofa. If you can,please post updates.

9. baseballswami - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Go Nats!!!!!

10. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM

GO Nats and RD!!

11. A DC Wonk - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Is anyone else as unsettled as I am about Ian's not starting? After all this game is kind of important, no?

12. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Assuming Desi is out for a while, who would play 2B or SS if something happened to Lombo or Espi?

13. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Davey said last night Desi was unlikely for today, and Flores has a bad back…going to need a team effort today

14. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Derek…depending on how far out of the dog house he's gotten, Davey was a Josh Johnson (no, not the Marlins pitcher) fan during Spring Training.

15. UnkyD - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Not too much, Wonk. Every games important, if he wants to play through, rather than take 15 days off, I reckon he'll miss 1or 2 a week, and it's not like we can schedule them. At least we're learning that, while Lombo's value is good, as a utility man… we'll be looking for a stronger back up MI, next spring, I would think?

16. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Thanks Jack. I've never seen Johnson..that's what happens when I miss Spring Training!

17. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Michele, I believe Mark is in the booth today doing updates. Low-grade coal to Newcastle, me posting.

18. Clip&Store - Jul 22, 2012 at 4:57 PM

what does gyfng mean? "Go You F~ Nationals Go!!!!!!" ?

19. NatsJim - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Clip – yep, supply your own F… I choose to read it as "Fantastic"!!

20. SonnyG10 - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM

You got it Clip&… with the f being freaking or you expletive of choice.

21. SonnyG10 - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Fantastic is a good one NatsJim.

22. Section 222 - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I wouldn't say Harper looked fine last night. He didn't plant his foot the way he usually does on that single to left, was kind of tentative as he rounded first, and limped back to the dugout after scoring. On the other hand, he stole second and raced home from 2nd to score, so he wasn't slowing down too much. Still, I'll be holding my breath every time he runs today.

23. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Derek…..It's one of the problems with the 40 man as it's constructed right now. Aside from what's on the active roster, there are no middle infielders. Carlos Rivero is an iron handed third baseman who needs alot of work defensively.

24. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Of course there are those that might tell you Anthony Rendon could be considered a middle infielder but I believe otherwise.

25. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I was at the 2nd game last night, did I actually see Clippard throw 3 or 4 breaking balls? Didn't think he had that…or maybe they were just moving change-ups?

26. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Uggla just missed that…maybe if his shirt weren't so tight??…

27. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM

NatsJack, I say what I said about Rendon over the Spring, a Lombo type on defense and will get a permanent spot if his bat is as good as we hope. I think 3rd or LF.

28. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Eagle, the announcers were commenting on Clip's going to the changeup several times.

29. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Derek…..yes. Clip threw 3 slides. He needs to show that pitch every outing.

30. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Zim is so dialed in…Made that look easy…Great start

31. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:50 PM

sliders

32. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:51 PM

In the Zone–the Corti-Zone!What a smooth, easy swing! As if he just swatted it.

33. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM

How many times have we seen that at Viera, Derek? Zim to right center.

34. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Yes Jack! And that X-Mo replay of his swing was Textbook!! They should show that to every RH hitter…

35. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:56 PM

And I don't see a loop in that LH swing by Espi either…another good sign..and Roger is so hot it's crazy…4-0!

36. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:57 PM

This looks like the game Detwiler could get his dinger. Jurrjens isn't missing any bats at all.

37. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Exactly. Did you see that head position at contact? When he's scuffling that head is out a split millisecond earlier.

38. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Yep, head was down through contact, front foot down early, back foot solid, and a little foward lean…looked like an instructional video!

39. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Haha Sofa, I'd just be happy with a quality start and a W for Ross…but I'm ok with a dinger too…

40. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Chipper stays healthy the rest of the season, he needs to rescind his retirement statement.That man can flat hit.

41. natscan reduxit - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:04 PM

… so today, I'm relegated to following the game on GameDay. I don't mind really, but I was thrilled – well, happy – to have had access to Atlanta's Peachtree station for the past three games.… I say happy, not thrilled, because as wonderful as it was to get the live TV game, I had to endure the disreputable Joe Simpson. He is simply a disgrace to the Atlanta Braves. First, even with the game in DC, he went to great lengths to find a few Braves fans doing 'the chop'. Forget that it should have been banned long ago, here he was finding it where it really ought not to be. Then yesterday, when Bryce fouled up his ankle, Simpson went on and on about how he was out of the box and should have been out. He was still at it three innings later but failed to notice – even with a replay – that Jason hayward did the same thing.… really, I understand that announcers paid by the team can be expected to be 'homers'. But someone should tell Simpson being a homer does not mean denigrating the other team at every opportunity.… anyway, good to see the boys getting their groove back on again this afternoon.Go Nats!!

42. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Is it raining there? Looks like it might be, on TV, but it's not raining here in Shaw.

43. mick - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:07 PM

what is scary and impressive about the Braves is that with the exception of Janesh, is their 6 and 7 hitters would be 3,4, or 5 hitters on most teams

44. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:08 PM

True dat, Jack. He's already stayed healthy longer than I thought he would.

45. Section 222 - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Det is getting outs, but it looks like he's leaving the ball up. Hope the Braves don't start centering on his pitches.So nice to see line drive hits. Espi's and Bernadina's hits were solid line drives.

46. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I actually listen to the Braves radio for these games…maybe it's just me, but I always liked Don Sutton…he's very complimentary towards the Nats by the way

47. MicheleS - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:12 PM

For our Expos friends. Excellent tribute to Gary Carter before ceremony starts.

48. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:14 PM

a .214 hitter batting 3,4 or 5? Not real sure about that.

49. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:16 PM

FP, if you're reading this, can you please tell Bob that a foul tip is when the catcher hangs on to the ball, otherwise it's a foul ball. Foul tips aren't foul balls.

50. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I've learned to ignore the comments of several in-game posters Jack…made this a lot more fun LOL..

51. mick - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Uggla may be hitting around 214, but he is dangerous

52. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Sofa….have to disagree. An ump will make the foul tip sign, brushing one hand on the other, whether it's caught or not.

53. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Sutton just said Bowden asked him to watch video of Detwiler before they drafted him… Sutton claims he told the Nats not to draft him if they were going to change his delivery, but they did both anyway…He also says Det is back to his more natural motion and is doing better

54. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Wow, Lombo must have been paying attention to us yesterday–got rid of that slow bouncer quick enough on Bourn to end the third.

55. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM

You could almost see the desperation on Lombo's face. Great play kid.

56. mick - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Is Det really the #3 pitcher when Strass is shut down and Lannan comes back?

57. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I don't understand how that could be, Jack–foul tips are defined that way by rule.

58. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Oh My

59. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I took it the umpire is signalling it was indeed fouled, and is a dead ball, not a foul tip.OMG. Zim-Zone!

60. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Just making it look easy, Stay Hot Ryan!

61. mick - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Does Zim own this guy or what!!!

62. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Yeah,that Rizzo guy really screwed up by making sure that Ryan Zimmerman will spend his whole career here.

63. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM

So, building up another nine-run lead, and then holding it, would be a nice bookend to this series, wouldn't it?

64. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Zim is so locked in it's unreal… I could see him with a 4 hr game looking like this. Of course, having Jurrjens to hit helps, but Zim is driving big time.

65. Section 222 - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Mick, nope, he's #4 after Gio, Zimnn, and E-Jax. I would expect in the post season he might get a start, depending on the schedule, but would mostly be a lefty long reliever or LOOGY if needed.

66. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Sofa…I 'm just saying that the ump makes that sign on strike 3's whether caught or not. Caught equals k and not caught equals foul tip not caught.

67. mick - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM

that makes sense sec 222

68. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Another short LH swing by Espi

69. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:33 PM

70. mick - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Strike 3 sign by ump is strike 3 on foul tip, called strike or swinging

71. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I also see a little different look on their faces than when it was 9-0 Friday…They're still happy, but not quite as silly as they were after the Morse and Zim HRs on Friday

72. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:35 PM

It seems that loop in the left handed swing is officially gone. Now if he can learn to read that breaking pitch to his back foot he'll be unsyoppable.

73. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:35 PM

unstoppable

74. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Winning teams brush off adversity. Davey needs to pile it on. Pedal to the metal!!!!

75. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Also looks like, a month later, that cortisone shot is NOT wearing off, which is really good news for Zim's durability the rest of this year.Boy, two and a third innings for Jurrjens is not going to leave the Barves' bullpen in good shape.Even assuming a split of this series (with my fingers crossed after being at that Friday night game), the Barves will bear the marks of this series in wear and tear on their pitching staff, while we get to go and face the totally beaten up Mets' pitching.

76. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:36 PM

The Nats did not have 1 swing and miss v. JJ…

77. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Yes Jack, there's no reason Danny can't keep improving at a similar pace as Desmond…As we know, Davey has never doubted that…

78. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Boy the Nats are really perfecting that impossibly high infield bouncer, ain't they? First Det and now Shark.

79. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Now, Braves, how do you like that tomahawk chop?

80. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I'm just saying that the ump makes that sign on strike 3's whether caught or not. Caught equals k and not caught equals foul tip not caught. That's true, and with a runner on base, he should be indicating a foul ball in all cases, one way or another. I was complaining about Carp calling balls "foul tips" that are not foul tip, they are just foul balls. It's a term of art, it means something specific. Regardless of the count, if it tips off the bat, and is caught directly by the catcher, it is not a foul ball, it's still live, which is a significant difference. I know you know all that, but that was my point.

81. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:38 PM

NatsJack, I was concerned after his HR off of Kimbrel that he would lengthen his swing and luckily not. Much better and its showing.

82. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Also nice to see us take advantage of another team';s pitchers' slow delivery to the plate, especially with two of our speed burners out there.

83. joemktg - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM

84. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Correction…1 swing and miss (by Morse) v. JJ…still not too shabby

85. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Meanwhile, Edwin Jackson has fired Scott Boras. I wonder if that is a tip-off toward his likelihood of staying here?

86. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa said…Sure, he's driven in about 50 runs in the past six weeks, Joe, but he still throws the ball funny once in a while, so the HR argument is invalid.July 22, 2012 2:33 PM————————Okay, I'm a little slow sometimes. Please tell me that you are being facetious .

87. NatsNut - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Yes!joemktg said…Double steal up six runs in the third in an important game: that's the foot on the throat. Superb.

88. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM

The Nats did not have 1 swing and miss v. JJ.Wow, I said he wasn't missing bats; I didn't think it was literally true. And yes, they look a lot more businesslike about this beatdown so far, don't they?

89. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Joe, I'm being faceious.

90. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Good catch, Sofa!And good news for us. Suggests, as I've thought all along with EJax, that he's not into pure $ maximization but at that level of income, has the good sense to know that settling down with a team with great chemistry and likely continuing contention is more important than the biggest $ and potentially ending up with a team like the Marlins.

91. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I gotcha, Sofa and agree. Carp's not having a great day.Re: Jackson….interesting. Maybe.

92. A DC Wonk - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Pedal to the medal? Does a double steal when up 6-0 count? ;-)

93. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Man….the bridges and rocks must be crowded today.

94. A DC Wonk - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM

EJax firing Boras. Wow…

95. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I knew that,Sofa.

96. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM

And the Braves, since they are the Braves, have no intention of going quietly.

97. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM

1-2-3

98. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:50 PM

1,2,3 double play.Gotta love it!

99. NatsNut - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:50 PM

NatsLady,I meant to mention last night, this box score you posted is HILARIOUS!http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_07_21_chnmlb_slnmlb_1&mode=box

100. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Love the 2 for 1 special!!

101. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:51 PM

easy as 1-2-3. Thats what you meant.

102. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:52 PM

DC Wonk, wonders never cease!

103. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Wow, Avilan doesn't look even remotely interested in hitting that target over the plate to Zimmerman in the 4th inning with 2 outs and nobody on.

104. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 6:58 PM

That's how elementary it's gonna be. It's easy. Like taking candy from a baby.

105. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:01 PM

106. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Ten pitching inning by RD. Start of the 3rd time through the order. Big for him to get thru the 6th quickly

107. djinFl. - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Wasn't it Jane who said"don't poke the un bear able.

108. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Nats Jack@2:46 and Eagle @ 3:01: You are correct, sirs!Ain't it nice?

109. MicheleS - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Is it a Cookies for Det day?

110. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:08 PM

So true DJ, just removed it!

111. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Mark, however, is gamefully trying to pick up the slack, pointing out what a bum Zimm is after flying out.And yes, he is being faceshu… fasec… ironic.

112. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I live, therefore I poke. And you can quote me.

113. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Morse is now back over .300, and Zim is creeping towards .280.Now if only ALR could get back on track, best he's done lately was that groundout to advance Morse to third…

114. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Yes, MicheleS, many, many cookies for Det. He might even weigh 175 after today. But the tray full of double chocolate chip with Craisins in them goes to Zimm. He's on fire. We should all get a shot of Cortisone, if these are the results. Careful driving back home! How was the Coop?

115. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM

But can we poke you?

116. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Morse chugs into third with his best "PLEASE don't make me go home from first again!" look at Bo.

117. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM

And Det is at only 63 pitches after 5 innings. And and Danny is red hot, 3 for 3 today and now hitting .251!What was that from the rock dwellers about the season being over after Friday?

118. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Braves have had enough of Roger!

119. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:13 PM

R-E-S-P-E-C-T for the Shark!

120. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Does that mean the Braves bullpen has jumped the Shark?Man, I kill me.

121. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Oh Bo, let Roger run!! Lol

122. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Don't jump the Shark to get to the Lion's Den!

123. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM

And Leon goes long!Thought Danny's and Sandy's doubles were both going out…

124. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Me? You wanna walk a guy to get to me?

125. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Ok, Ross: it's your time, boy.

126. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Or not.

127. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:17 PM

OK. Now we get to see what Davy learned Friday night.

128. djinFl. - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:18 PM

@ SunshineMichele will have to wait for her tears to stop before driving. Gammons called Vicki Santos speech the most touching and inspiring HOF speech he has ever heard.

129. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Does FP's shirt double as a table cloth?

130. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:23 PM

And now this looks uncomfortably like the top of the 6th on Friday, especially with Chipper up.This is Det's biggest challenge, especially without a DP to get.

131. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:23 PM

See ya Chipper

132. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Big Daddy goes down swinging. Impressive, that.Now Freeman and McCann to get.

133. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Hey Eddie. Did you ever get over to the back fields to see Christian Garcia during Spring Training?

134. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Is it possible to erase an unwritten rule?When it comes to playing with a big lead, I think Friday's game actually did that

135. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I'll take that. But I'd really like a clean 7th ining br Ross.

136. Grandstander - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Just moved up to 417 to escape the crowds and sun and look who I see to my left, why it's Mr. Zuckerman and the beat writers! Man you guys are high up! Hi Mark.

137. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:32 PM

By that I mean giving up 2 runs.

138. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:35 PM

NatsJack, really like what I am seeing from Det on 5 days rest. As I said before, RD is really soaking it all in like a sponge from the Three Amigos.

139. NatsNut - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Sofa, I just watched the replay of Morse chugging around the bases. LOL! His arms were going but his legs looked like he had 10 lb weights on them.

140. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM

NatsJack — not during ST, but I did see him pitch an inning for the Senators at Bowie in early April during a rehab game for Morse and Ankiel.He made quite a first impression — I saw this huge (what is he, 6'7" or 6'8" at least?) dude warming up before the inning throwing junk in the 70s and 80s, then during the inning he's throwing mid to upper 90s under control almost every pitch. Very interesting.

141. Gonat - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:38 PM

3 run Jack time by the Beast would be nice!!!!

142. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Ghost — your key words there were "on 5 days rest". Was at the Mets game last Tuesday where he was complete shutdown, but that was his first start after the ASbreak, and remembered all his quality long rest starts back in September. If he can get NJ's clean 7th, he'll have reached another level.And Morse gets punched out on ball 4.

143. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Eddie…he's about 6'5 and his best ptch is an 86 mph hard slider to go with a 94 mph power sinker.He has the best slider in the organization

144. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Porter, really?

145. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Steady, PitchTrack had it on the corner, FWIW.

146. mick - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM

good time for ALR to hit, agree with Bobby C and FP, why did Bo Porter send Bryce, verse a solid RF arm and Bryce still favoring his ankle?

147. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:44 PM

No place to put Roger now…

148. mick - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Det has really pitched well

149. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Nats Jack — The warmup junk he was throwing was nowhere close to 86, unless the gun was off. I suspect he was just funnin' with the Baysox.He did look impressive.

150. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Bo isn't afraid to make them make a good throw, with a lead. I'd hate to see Harper get hurt, there, though, which is the problem with that philosophy: it's riskier.

151. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Along with Zim's two dingers and Det's quality start, the best thing about today is all the respect for and performance by Danny and the Shark. Varvaro wanted no part of giving Danny anything near the zone.

152. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Haha…3 hits for Roger

153. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Mick, I actually agree with you. Harper was flying in spite of his ankle. Bad call on Bo's part.

154. mick - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:47 PM

The Shark bites em again….

155. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM

So that wasn't so different from the ball McCann hit back at Detwiler, but Ross caught his.

156. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Eddie…those numbers are from Spin Williams and Mr. Boone.

157. mick - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Braves need Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, and Richard Dryfuss, lol

158. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM

17 hits at the end of the 6th. Every starter for the Nats have at least one hit.

159. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Europe called…thinks Uggla's shirt is too tight

160. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:53 PM

He's what, 6', 200+?

161. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:54 PM

This needs to be a statement inning by Ross for alot of us.

162. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Fair crowd today. I'd say >25K.

163. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Prado is about .600 v Ross, so this should be it no matter what

164. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I'm guessing more like 35k .

165. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Wow, I'm way off, 34,917.

166. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:58 PM

DING DING DING…Jack wins the Internetz!~

167. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:59 PM

And the rocks and bridges are officially SRO.

168. djinFl. - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Glad to see Det have such good games back to back, and enjoy himself.

169. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Great outing by RD. Not drinking Kool-aid.

170. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Stand up and give that man a hand! Way to go Ross Detwiler!!!

171. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Nats Jack — and so it was. Det deserves the standing O he just got.I'm sure your numbers on Garcia were accurate. I was just talking about what I saw on the Bowie pitch speed board during his warmup, which don't necessarily have anything to do with what he does in the game.

172. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:00 PM

FP gets the Line of the Day, I think, for saying about Bernadina being 8 for his last 10: "It's hard to go 8 for 10 at a *softball tournament*!"

173. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Det was throwing free and easy…and efficiently!

174. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Thanks, DJ, for the Coop update. MicheleS, don't drive while weeping (That's a DWW!).You'd have been proud of Det. Many cookies for him. He's out after 7: two runs (one earned). Seven hit, struck out three, walked one. One passed ball (Leon, giving me slight case of indigestion back there) leading to the unearned run. Nats are going to be 4-1 in his six starts since replacing CMW in rotation on June 24.

175. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Kool-ade for Detwiler, extra sugar.

176. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Maybe Uggla can give him some pointers on filling out the doubleknits.

177. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM

And the Braves still don't like lefties…Nats should set it up so Lannan, Gio, and Ross, pitch against them every series…

178. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Harper with the gold bat… seems to be lucky.

179. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM

And this is for Mr. Det in St. Louis. I think this goes along way in his overall developement and how he's viewed by the fans and the organization. Congratulations.

180. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Freddie felt the pressure on that one…Harper forces another error…Where's the stat for that one???

181. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I think ROE covers some of that, tho not the "forced" part.

182. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:10 PM

So if not for the fairly avoidable CMW starts, since Detwiler was healthy the whole time, they've gone through the whole season so far with basically the same rotation.

183. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:11 PM

OK, I thought Lombo charged that one well…and just as I type that, FP mentions it, too.

184. A DC Wonk - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Where are all those guys who were so sure that Friday night's loss was too devastating. And that playoff teams just don't lose 9run leads at home?(oh wait. Hi mick ;-). That's actually a compliment to you. You're way too gloom and doom during a loss, but at least you're here with cheer during wins. As opposed to the other doom and gloom guys who never show up during wins)

185. Andrew L. - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Jack, now that Ross Detwiler's day is done I can say it. Both Ross and Roger Bernadina came out to help Chad Cordero and our group at our camp on Friday. I told Ross just like I said to Roger, "you have 75 new fans plus their families which will bring good Karma". Ross got a big smile. I don't think its a coincidence that the Shark had a great weekend just like Ross today. http://www.facebook.com/DcEliteBaseball

186. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:14 PM

He did Sofa. That play against the Mets was embarassing. A right handed hitter on a routine ground ball.He'll charge and get rid of the ball quickly ever time now.

187. A DC Wonk - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Marlins lost

188. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Funny how nobody over-reacts to 1 game on the positive side… If these were "must wins" does that mean the Nats have clinched the East??

189. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Thanks for the info Andrew. Both Ross and Roger have matured alot in the past year. Iy goes with having quality people through out the organization.

190. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM

And yet, here we are getting close to the 200-comment flip. This has been a lot more enjoyable, agreed Wonk.

191. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:20 PM

One more shot for Roger v the Braves pitchers…

192. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Stammen going to finish, then. Cool.

193. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Derek… Friday two of my Brave fan buddies wanted to bet on the series and I told them all I wanted was a split. No bets.I told them check with me in September when the outcomes arfe magnified. Then I'll bet.

194. Swift Eagle - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Great play by Freeman

195. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM

The Braves get the Marlins next. Let's hope Ozzie &co. is ready for some dramas.

196. Section 3, My PFB Hitterish Sofa - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Dodgers up 3-2 in the bottom of the 9th.

197. ehay2k - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I wonder what Barves fans will be thinking? Two huge wins to start the series, then fall flat and fail to pick up any ground on the Nats. Even worse, their BP is spent going into their next series. Ours is quite a bit more rested, thanks to our SPs going deeper the last two games. Today, in particular, had to hurt them a lot. The next series for both teams will say a lot about them.

198. Andrew L. - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Jack, we spoke about pitch selection and his power sinker which he is starting lower in the zone and mixes in that 4 seamer. Ross showed the kids his grips and a nice circle change grip. Check out the photos and some of the videos. Just a great smile and he is working hard.This is one of my favorite pictures: http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/559327_342895815784905_1322101599_n.jpg

199. ehay2k - Jul 22, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I have to laugh at that last play by the Shark – he looked up for the wall well before he even got to the warning track. That's a clown glance bro. :-P