Jul 22, 2012, 2:01 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Bryce Harper and the Nationals were able to celebrate a much-needed win.
Game in a nutshell: Mired in a three-game losing streak and in danger of seeing their lead over the Braves shrink to 1/2-game, the Nationals faced something of a must-win situation tonight. And they delivered with a gutsy performance, overcoming an early 2-0 deficit to push across solo runs in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings. John Lannan, called up from Syracuse for the day, battled back from an ugly first inning to shut Atlanta out over his next six and put himself in line to earn the win. His teammates did the rest, with Roger Bernadina producing the big RBI hit: a two-out single to right in the bottom of the seventh to score Sandy Leon and break a 2-2 tie. Bryce Harper, battling a sore ankle, then came off the bench in the eighth to ignite another rally and score a key insurance run. Tyler Clippard then bounced back from his shaky week to record the save and give the Nats a much-needed victory at the end of a long day of baseball.
Hitting highlight: When Harper went down with a left ankle injuryRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies